Sony firmware update

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

It could certainly be, but like I said in the initial message, I’m coming to the same exact place standing in the same place and just about identical weather conditions and it’s drastically different than before that firmware update. I am definitely going to keep messing with it but seems to be a very good workaround for the time being.
i've seen subtle changes with the nikon fw updates, and my take on it is the whole af system is a crazy balancing act. when they improve one thing, it may negatively impact another.

It could certainly be, but like I said in the initial message, I’m coming to the same exact place standing in the same place and just about identical weather conditions and it’s drastically different than before that firmware update. I am definitely going to keep messing with it but seems to be a very good workaround for the time being.
I get that and I agree that it's likely something with the new firmware that's changed. :)

I get that and I agree that it's likely something with the new firmware that's changed. :)
I don’t expect we’ll get any more firmware for this camera or at least anytime soon, but that’s just a gut feeling. I still think there are certain things that could be added easily without hardware changes but I guess it is what it is at this point.

i've seen subtle changes with the nikon fw updates, and my take on it is the whole af system is a crazy balancing act. when they improve one thing, it may negatively impact another.
Yeah, I agree and that’s sort of what it acts like. I feel like it really corrected the other problem I was having but now it has this problem but as long as I have a workaround, I’m not going to sweat it too much.

That is really bizarre. I just updated one of my a1 bodies and if I get a chance I'll see if I can compare it side by side with the un-updated one. (The trick is getting the time to do it - I'm between safaris and really behind).
That would be really helpful if you get chance . I'm still on Fw2.0 and would like to update to Fw2.01 , if it messes up the focus for birds in flight though I'm going to give it a miss and just put up with the increased battery drainage since installing 2.0

Good grief.

I am starting to regret ever having bought into the Sony ecosystem. This is just abhorrent.

Someone needs to check this before they update and see if it was working, then update and see what happens.

I ain't going to be me, I refuse.
Yeah version 1.32, 2.0 and 2.1 have all caused issues with mine. I would pay them to set my camera back to 1.2 lol

Good grief.

I am starting to regret ever having bought into the Sony ecosystem. This is just abhorrent.

Someone needs to check this before they update and see if it was working, then update and see what happens.

I ain't going to be me, I refuse.
I don’t see the issue with this. I read the explanation by Sony and it’s essentially a check engine light that the camera has a mechanical issue and to have it checked.

Can you “roll back” an update by reloading a previous update file? I believe Nikon works like that, so may e you can with Sony?
No I've tried that but wish I could even though I do like some of the features from these newer updates. Just doesn't seem quiet as dependable at times

I don’t see the issue with this. I read the explanation by Sony and it’s essentially a check engine light that the camera has a mechanical issue and to have it checked.
With their track record? I'm not buying it. My cynicism has served me well in the past. Why would a properly designed firmware update cause a fault notice for a hardware malfunction that wasn't previously evident? Do we believe people are out there operating cameras with malfunctions that they aren't aware of? If this is the case, why hasn't Sony made this issue public before now? Or did they and I just missed it?

Had this been the only issue I may agree with your assessment. However, after releasing firmware that caused problems for at least two cameras, one of which (S III) still hasn't been addressed, I'm going to maintain my position.

Well I’ve just updated to 2.01 from 2.0 , I thought if it dies I’ll just scrap it and buy something else .
I used my M1 MacBook Pro , it took a good half hour but went ok . I’ve quickly tried creators app with it on my iPhone , so far no issues but won’t hold my breath .
One thing I have noticed, the cameras response feels like it’s been turbo boosted ! Pointing it through the window and eye detect was straight on a small green finch on the feeder . Weather isn’t looking great over the weekend in the UK , I was hoping to get out tomorrow and properly test it .

Well I’ve just updated to 2.01 from 2.0 , I thought if it dies I’ll just scrap it and buy something else .
I used my M1 MacBook Pro , it took a good half hour but went ok . I’ve quickly tried creators app with it on my iPhone , so far no issues but won’t hold my breath .
One thing I have noticed, the cameras response feels like it’s been turbo boosted ! Pointing it through the window and eye detect was straight on a small green finch on the feeder . Weather isn’t looking great over the weekend in the UK , I was hoping to get out tomorrow and properly test it .
That’s what I noticed as well when using small, medium or large spot. It seems more responsive but BIF is where mine is wonky. I like how fast the card formats now as well. I have the A7RV and A6700 which both have Sonys latest AI af processor and imo both of them have an edge in the A1 which is disheartening considering the price 😆
I just wish they’d add subject detection in video and focus bracketing.

Reactions: LTK
I wonder if that really could be the problem because that does make sense that is trying to communicate with the lens and/or the teleconverter. I could see how that could definitely interfere. If I just had the one issue straightened out with birds and mine would be good.

That’s what I noticed as well when using small, medium or large spot. It seems more responsive but BIF is where mine is wonky. I like how fast the card formats now as well. I have the A7RV and A6700 which both have Sonys latest AI af processor and imo both of them have an edge in the A1 which is disheartening considering the price 😆
I just wish they’d add subject detection in video and focus bracketing.
Subject detection in video would be great , I’m sure the A7iv can do it so very surprised and disappointed the A1 can’t .
I keep checking the weather forecast in hope I can get out tomorrow, if I can and it proves frustrating to use it may end up in the reservoir!

I wonder if that really could be the problem because that does make sense that is trying to communicate with the lens and/or the teleconverter. I could see how that could definitely interfere. If I just had the one issue straightened out with birds and mine would be good.
I removed the lens and even the memory cards , I then sit staring at my MacBook making sure it doesn’t go into sleep mode

I went out today and used the A1 with the 600GM and 1.4TC all day, and found that it categorically refuses to focus on various things using small and medium spot AF. I can press the AF button all I want but focus remains where it is, usually the background.
That was never the case, I could get it to re-focus all the time without issue, now it just sits there and I have to use manual override to get it to change focus. It is as if it has turned completely blind to out of focus subjects and doesn't even try to find them.

Is this caused by a change in sensitivity settings? I have mine on default (3) all the time and it didn't even occur to me to change this default value.
Ouch, spot focus has really taken a bad hit at default settings. I hope changing settings away from default improves this.

I went out today and used the A1 with the 600GM and 1.4TC all day, and found that it categorically refuses to focus on various things using small and medium spot AF. I can press the AF button all I want but focus remains where it is, usually the background.
That was never the case, I could get it to re-focus all the time without issue, now it just sits there and I have to use manual override to get it to change focus. It is as if it has turned completely blind to out of focus subjects and doesn't even try to find them.

Is this caused by a change in sensitivity settings? I have mine on default (3) all the time and it didn't even occur to me to change this default value.
Ouch, spot focus has really taken a bad hit at default settings. I hope changing settings away from default improves this.
This is exactly what I was experiencing with 2.0 and since upgrading to 2.01 that problem is fixed and now I’m having trouble with birds in flight lol. I’m honestly in disbelief that a company the size of so many has stuck their foot in the rear end as bad as they have with this firmware debacle. I would venture to say that at least 50% of the shots I was taking with version 2.0 using small spot or medium spot. I had to grab the focus ring to help focus.

Last edited:
All these posts are scary & i am going to stick with my 1.32 FW .Sony seems to have gopofed up big this time.
From a software point of view they seem to have rewritten majot part of code & have not done enough testing before releasing it .I can sum it as a pretty casual approach

People need to get onto them , the more people the better . I keep getting the feeling people think you’re making this stuff up ,it’s ridiculous. The weather here this morning is poor , dark clouds and rain . I was hoping to get out and test mine properly to see if 2.01 is any better than 2.0 . When I updated to 2.0 my spot S was next to useless and I was getting double battery drainage.
I had my camera set where I used half shutter press for main focus (zone or wide) and AF-ON button set to focus area + AF-ON recall . I could keep my finger pressing down half shutter and if it grabbed the wrong things in foreground or background I could tap the AF-ON (spot S) with my thumb , it would quickly ramp backwards and forwards hitting what I wanted in the centre of the frame . I only use the 200-600 so don’t have the luxury of close focus recall but spot S used to work well for me . With fw2.0 spot S just sits there .
It’s so annoying because I used to love this camera when it was FW1.20 . If it allowed to downgrade the FW there would be no issue for me . I’d be back enjoying using it .
I have been mailing Sony , I’m getting the usual questions back I’ve already answered . They also want photos of my batteries etc . I was ready to get a 600mm f4 but since all the issues started with fw1.30 I’m now looking at alternatives

Today I took off the 1.4TC, and small/medium spot focus again worked as you would expect.
I have to admit that I rarely use the 1.4TC anymore, because I like the 600GM so much without it. But I had issues with being stuck with small/medium spot focus that I am pretty sure I never had. It reminded me of the days when I adapted the Canon 400DOII to the Sony A7RII. Not focus speed or tracking of course, but the refusal to re-focus.
I had AF sensitivity on "4", so that cannot have been the issue. I wonder if it is aperture related? At f4 without the converter I am seeing no issues, with the 1.4TC on, the combo is at f5.6.
AF was accurate with the 1.4TC, it just seemed to get stuck.
For now, I am leaving the TC off.

Back