Sony firmware update

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Then definitely don’t get the a9III. When using an a1 now it feels like an old car compared to a new Ferrari.
What you state about a93 is pretty much what I felt since getting the a 7RV because I love the new auto focus the articulating screen, focus bracket in several other things it does better than the A1

Just imagine what the A1II will bring to the table!!
I just hope it’s not a global sensor. I hope they stick with the stacked sensor and use the same body as the A93 andA7RV. I didn’t think I’d be too fond of the articulating screen but that thing is priceless especially for video and micro work normally if I’m not gonna be shooting something as far as action I’ll grab the other camera every time just because it’s a more pleasant platform to use. I am still in disbelief. They didn’t add focus bracketing to the A1 in the firmware update when they’re $1400 APSC Camera has it lol

i think it's very unlikely to be a global sensor. combination of cost, difficulty to make at the target MP size, and compromises (iso range) are going to make this a poor fit for their do-it-all camera, at least for now.
I hope you’re right I mean they can bump the frames per second up a bit and I’m sure even improve the stack sensor technology, but I would honestly prefer they leave it a stack sensor.

I hope you’re right I mean they can bump the frames per second up a bit and I’m sure even improve the stack sensor technology, but I would honestly prefer they leave it a stack sensor.
i think they will. i think we'll see an improved stack sensor paired with the next gen af from the a9iii, and the bar will go up again.

i think they will. i think we'll see an improved stack sensor paired with the next gen af from the a9iii, and the bar will go up again.
Even if I had the current A1 innards inside the A7RV body with the improved auto focus and multiple items the newer body has I would be perfect content with the frames per second and resolution to be honest. I had been wanting another APSC Camera ever since I sold my D5000 and never really found anything that caught my eye, but that little A6700 body is impressive as hell for the price. I also hope they don’t raise the price of the A1 up to like $8000 either.

Why? I’ve had zero issues with the stacked sensor in the a9III.

Why? I’ve had zero issues with the stacked sensor in the a9III.
Honestly, from the images I’ve seen posted from the camera I think the A1 image quality is noticeably better and I don’t mean that in a condescending way or anything like that it’s just my opinion and use the shooting and things just don’t really have any desire to have one to be honest

I might be speaking prematurely here but for the last 30 minutes, I’ve been trying to photograph swallows and flight and cannot for the damn life for me to get it to lock on in any mode or any sticky a setting. not really sure what’s going on, but it seems like something has definitely changed as far as tracking something in flight. This is the same place. I always go to photograph these and even standing in the same place. I normally stand but tracking a bird and flight seems worse since updating this.

I feel like static subjects as far as small spot have improved but something is definitely wonky with birds in flight. It’s like a different camera than I had yesterday. I currently have the 600 on there with no teleconverter and I’ve tried every imaginable setting I can throw at it with the same result, unless something has been changed somewhere that I’m not aware of

Honestly, from the images I’ve seen posted from the camera I think the A1 image quality is noticeably better and I don’t mean that in a condescending way or anything like that it’s just my opinion and use the shooting and things just don’t really have any desire to have one to be honest
Stacked sensor vs global sensor isn’t going to impact the image quality. Frankly the YouTubers have got it wrong. I’ve been shooting it for a month now and the images are killer.

I might be speaking prematurely here but for the last 30 minutes, I’ve been trying to photograph swallows and flight and cannot for the damn life for me to get it to lock on in any mode or any sticky a setting. not really sure what’s going on, but it seems like something has definitely changed as far as tracking something in flight. This is the same place. I always go to photograph these and even standing in the same place. I normally stand but tracking a bird and flight seems worse since updating this.
Yup I’ll pass.

Yup I’ll pass.
I’m going to take it home and carefully go through all the settings, but I have used focus limiter on,focus limiter off, zone, fullscreen, large spot, tracking responsiveness from one – five and everything in between and it is absolutely beyond any shadow of doubt, far worse than yesterday standing at the exact same spot with the same camera same lighting, same settings. Not sure what to make of it, but this is the only thing that I’ve noticed different from the firmware update other than it seems to improved focus on static subjects. I wish to God I would’ve waited now lol

Stacked sensor vs global sensor isn’t going to impact the image quality. Frankly the YouTubers have got it wrong. I’ve been shooting it for a month now and the images are killer.
I tend to disagree. I think the images sort of look flat and two dimensional but there again that’s just my eye and my perception. to me and I hope you don’t take this the wrong way because Iis not meant that way but images you’ve posted in the past from the A1 at least to my eye are far better as far as dynamic range and just punch, but that’s just an opinion

I tend to disagree. I think the images sort of look flat and two dimensional but there again that’s just my eye and my perception. to me and I hope you don’t take this the wrong way because Iis not meant that way but images you’ve posted in the past from the A1 at least to my eye are far better as far as dynamic range and just punch, but that’s just an opinion
I know what you mean tbh and found same thing with my A9ii , if I still had that camera the A9iii would be the obvious upgrade but for what I want I'll wait for A1ii . I used to get great captures with the A9ii , I'd get home though look at the files and be disappointed a few times looking at them on my monitor after cropping .

I’m going to take it home and carefully go through all the settings, but I have used focus limiter on,focus limiter off, zone, fullscreen, large spot, tracking responsiveness from one – five and everything in between and it is absolutely beyond any shadow of doubt, far worse than yesterday standing at the exact same spot with the same camera same lighting, same settings. Not sure what to make of it, but this is the only thing that I’ve noticed different from the firmware update other than it seems to improved focus on static subjects. I wish to God I would’ve waited now lol
Sorry to hear this , I've downloaded the update but after reading this I'm going to hold off installing and keep using FW2.0 with the battery drainage and iffy spot AF

Sorry to hear this , I've downloaded the update but after reading this I'm going to hold off installing and keep using FW2.0 with the battery drainage and iffy spot AF
It could totally be something that has been disabled so far I haven’t found anything that has changed in the menu, but it has definitely suffered at least in this arena of shooting.

Reactions: LTK
I am not offended but how do these look flat and two dimensional? How can you say the dynamic range and punch is lacking? I have made over 1.5 stop adjustments on files to see what would happen and they hold up just fine and I am never off my exposure by much more than a 1/3 to half stop.

I recall you telling me I would be disappointed in buying the camera and I received a mix of opinions from folks that said no and some said yes buy it. The interesting thing is those who said no it was because of the lower MP and those who said yes recognize the capabilities and what the camera brings to "the tool box" and that MP aren't everything.

I have not been disappointed by this camera at all and I provided 5 samples which I have posted here and on IG taken with this camera in just 7 days worth of use. I think most folks would be thrilled to get these shots over a year let alone in just 7 days of shooting.

But back to the question how do they lack dynamic range, how do they lack punch, how do they look flat, and how do they look two dimensional? The global shutter has zero impact on the image quality.

I spoke with Issac Grant yesterday for a couple of hours who is an amazing bird photographer. After seeing some RAW images I shared with him he ordered the camera and has now used it twice. He shares the same feelings I have in just using it twice. He in fact on his first day using it nailed a shot and had 7 versions of it he hasn't been able to get the a1 to do. So yes it is a powerful tool if deployed for what it is intended.

20240422-A9302598-ARW-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
20240422-A9300096-ARW-2.jpg
20240406-A9300542-ARW-Edit-Edit-2.jpg
20240407-A9305589-ARW-Edit-2.jpg
20240406-A9300167-ARW-Edit-2.jpg

I am not offended but how do these look flat and two dimensional? How can you say the dynamic range and punch is lacking? I have made over 1.5 stop adjustments on files to see what would happen and they hold up just fine and I am never off my exposure by much more than a 1/3 to half stop.

I recall you telling me I would be disappointed in buying the camera and I received a mix of opinions from folks that said no and some said yes buy it. The interesting thing is those who said no it was because of the lower MP and those who said yes recognize the capabilities and what the camera brings to "the tool box" and that MP aren't everything.

I have not been disappointed by this camera at all and I provided 5 samples which I have posted here and on IG taken with this camera in just 7 days worth of use. I think most folks would be thrilled to get these shots over a year let alone in just 7 days of shooting.

But back to the question how do they lack dynamic range, how do they lack punch, how do they look flat, and how do they look two dimensional? The global shutter has zero impact on the image quality.

I spoke with Issac Grant yesterday for a couple of hours who is an amazing bird photographer. After seeing some RAW images I shared with him he ordered the camera and has now used it twice. He shares the same feelings I have in just using it twice. He in fact on his first day using it nailed a shot and had 7 versions of it he hasn't been able to get the a1 to do. So yes it is a powerful tool if deployed for what it is intended.

View attachment 87569View attachment 87570View attachment 87572View attachment 87574View attachment 87575
That’s all that matters, if you’re happy with it then it doesn’t matter what anyone else thinks. I’ve not seen a single image posted by anyone anywhere that couldn’t be taken with the A1, Z9, RV cannon or other comparable cameras. Thats just being honest. You should know by now that I’m not scared to spend money 😆
To me the images don’t have the pop that a standard sensor produces at least to my eye. You will never have the detail of the A1 because you’re at half the resolution. The Sony A1 has some of the best image quality in the business bar none! I just don’t see that in any version of the A9 including the 3. It’s a one trick pony and not meant for superb image quality. It’s meant to spray photos at a fast rate such as sports photographers. I’ve owned 8,12,16,20,24,45,50 and 61mp sensors in my life and I can tell you for certain I have ZERO desire to go back to 24mp for wildlife but again that’s just me and we’re all different.

I am very thankful some of you are quick to try. I dogged a bullet by being busy and out of town for work and not able to update the a1 to 2.0 right away. I am holding off on the a9III for a bit to see what happens. The cameras work fine the way they are and I sure don't want to ruin that.

Back