Strap for heavy glass...

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Just have to use my old fashioned BR straps for now ... not that they are bad ... a real third world problem.
Speaking of BR, I found mine frustrating for the lack of ability to adjust the length. I was beginning to think I needed to pay my friends a sherpa fee to do that for me since it's on the back. I ordered the Magpul MS4 Dual QD Gen 2 and I love the adjustability from the front. It does not sit on the end of your shoulder so it may put more strain on the shoulder. Some say it doesn't slide easily so I tested it out and using a two point QD seems to make it easier. One on camera and one on lens. I'll have to field test to really knows these things.

Holdfast can be a bit slow getting them out everything is hand made and depends on how busy they are, They are a bit faster with standard orders if you choose the standard duo in a standard color it will be faster. But they will get it done. Based on what happened to me you are not looking at months but it could be a few weeks.

All their stuff comes in off white what feels like oiled cotton drawstring bags with faded logo stenciling.

So having one camera fall from a holdfast money maker without a safety strap and another fall with here's what I think it the issue. Note, I use and love this strap. The sailboat shackles are super strong but meant to be used with the big loop thing that screws into the bottom of the camera. I wanted QD so I just mounted the QD loop to the sailboat shackle. What I believe is the failure is the loop on the QD is smaller so the shackle get wedged against the QD release button.

I now run a safety and haven't worried to much about it. A QD with a bigger loop would be better. I'd like to replace the sailboat shackle with the QD but the leather loop has a rivet. May see if I can find someone that does horse stuff and maybe they can modify it?

For those that haven't use one the strap is great for heavy loads. I spend a couple of hours at a homicide tonight with a Z8 / 180-600, D850 with a 70-200 (one on each side) and a Z8 with a 14-24 on the chest straps. I'd just suggest caution if going QD and simplely snapping it on the sailboat shackle

Thank you for the info! I'll be placing an order.
You're welcome. Here's what it looks like up close on a BR strap.
1720875474807.png

I just put in an order for the Holdfast single strap. I agree that Holdfast is more comfortable than than the Blackrapid for heavy loads.
My Money Maker original leather bridle chestnut ... arrived and I have it adjusted and standing at the computer with 2 Z-9's one with z800 f/6.3 pf and one with the Tamron z mount 150-500. So far so good. When I take it off I have to take a lint roller and or vacuum to it for the leather dust :)

Did you get the Holdfast single strap yet and if so how is it working with a z9 and Z800 :)

I got my Money Maker Solo a few days ago. I am tall (6'5) with a long upper body, but I have to say the L version with the universal slider (i use a QD system) is easily long enough for people taller than me. I have the chest strap 4 holes in, and the slider in the middle. Can't say too much about prolonged comfort, but standing in front of the mirror with a Z9 + 400 2.8 TC attached, it feels already better than this combo with a black rapid. I will have time this weekend to test this more.

Frank

You're welcome. Here's what it looks like up close on a BR strap.

For those using a Moneymaker or just about any clip on strap these are great! Thank you Michael for pointing this out. In an earlier post I said to use caution since the large sailboat clips on the Moneymaker could wedge just right to push the button on the QD. This solves that probably. If you're using a clip to attach the QD you should really consider these.

The Moneymaker is a great piece of gear and you'll find with time it molds itself to you. Also the little bits of sheading leather quickly go away.

QD are from Kirk and are typical Kirk quality (and price!).

For those using a Moneymaker or just about any clip on strap these are great! Thank you Michael for pointing this out. In an earlier post I said to use caution since the large sailboat clips on the Moneymaker could wedge just right to push the button on the QD. This solves that probably. If you're using a clip to attach the QD you should really consider these.

The Moneymaker is a great piece of gear and you'll find with time it molds itself to you. Also the little bits of sheading leather quickly go away.

QD are from Kirk and are typical Kirk quality (and price!).
I used a lint roller worked quite well

I got my Money Maker Solo a few days ago. I am tall (6'5) with a long upper body, but I have to say the L version with the universal slider (i use a QD system) is easily long enough for people taller than me. I have the chest strap 4 holes in, and the slider in the middle. Can't say too much about prolonged comfort, but standing in front of the mirror with a Z9 + 400 2.8 TC attached, it feels already better than this combo with a black rapid. I will have time this weekend to test this more.

Frank
Glad to hear your thoughts .... I adjusted my money maker original (double carry) a couple of days ago and started the molding process. Using it with my most probable 2 camera carry set up. Z9 & Z800 f/6.3 on the right and Z9 with z mount Tamron 150-500 on the left. We are in the middle of a heat wave and wildfire smoke with a hazardous air quality alert so have not been able to take it out and use it yet. I walked around the house and practiced lifting and focusing on photos I have of birds on the wall. I also stood for about 7 hours combined over 2 days at my stand up computer with the same set up. So far so great.

I now had the weekend to run around with this for a bit. 2 hours on friday, 2 hours today. I am impressed with the comfort level compared to the black rapid. Too be honest, i also believe this is a lot more sturdy, so I feel safer, or better my gear feels that way :)

Get's my recommendation (and i ordered 3 leather belts from them - good leather belts are not easy to find in Switzerland).

Frank

Back