Tele-converter or DX mode

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'm assuming you meant Z8. I'll let others comment on image quality and instead mention logistics.

On my 400 f/4.5, I find it useful to employ a TC and DX mode at times. I'm able to bounce from FFE 400mm, 560mm/600mm, and 840mm depending on the amount of available light and the compositional goals that I have.

On my 800 f/6.3, I'm much more likely to use DX mode when needed as it's easier to compose at 800mm and then switch to DX, and I'm at f/6.3 instead of f/9.

I've programmed to F2 button to allow me to switch between FX/DX without having to take my eye from the viewfinder.

Regardless of the camera my choice would be: if there’s enough light and/or shutter speed available then fill the frame with a TC. If light is an issue and you can’t use a slower shutter speed then crop either in camera or post.

It usually comes out as a wash in IQ. But AF is better without the TC so I lean towards cropping over TCs if I'm shooting action. For perched birds the TC may be a better choice. But because I don't have access to a lens with built-in TC, I usually don't like to juggle them on and off and therefore do the majority of my shooting without the TC on.
As mentioned already, the lower the light levels, the more likely I'll crop over TC.

Consider that the DX mode uses the sharpest portion of the lens (the central area). Few pixels but sharpest.

TC also uses the central portion of the lens, adds an optical element that is not designed with that lens in mind, so there will be compromises but probably (depends upon the lens and range with a zoom) not too bad.

Trarde off is more pixels or few sharper pixels. Which is better? IMO unless something is really amiss or you pixel peep, there should not be much difference. I probably hard to tell from a reasonably sized print

I shot my 100-400S in DX mode a lot and got some nice shots of birds. Now that I have the 180-600 I will use that DX option in my F1 function button when needed. I now have a Z8 which gives me that option. I believe it’s more of a pure shot in DX mode than using a TC, less glass. That being said, on a sunny day I may throw on the 1.4TC AND use DX mode to get close.
i always wonder in this debate is a Z6ii with a 180-600 any sharper than a Z8 in DX mode with that 180-600?
Hmmm,
Vinny

Yes! Z8 using the Z180-600mm lens
Timely discussion, as exactly one week ago today I received delivery of a Z 1.4x teleconverter for use with my Z8 and Z 180-600. I have done shots of a distant coyote litter I found with bare lens, then with the 2x I already owned, and with 1.4x I picked up. I plan on posting a comparison thread (and doing more tests), but my initial findings are that 1.4x is better than bare lens and cropping, but 2x is too soft to be useable. (I bought the 2x to use with my Z 70-200 and it works very well with that lens).

With that camera, lens combination cropping is going to give you better results. I thoroughly tested the Z 100-400 mm lens with and without a TC and the bare lens won sharpness every time. I am now testing the Z 600 PF and so far it is a tie. At f/6.3 diffraction is starting to show up and is a limiting factor for that lens. The Z 180-600 too.

A teleconverter works best on a high quality fast lens. Nikon knows what lenses to add a built-in TC.

Whichever way one goes, I think it is important to decide by comparing the same resolution image at the same viewing size shot at the same distance with the subject filling the same portion of the image. So often folks will declare that the crop is better before they downsample the teleconverter version.

Whichever way one goes, I think it is important to decide by comparing the same resolution image at the same viewing size shot at the same distance with the subject filling the same portion of the image. So often folks will declare that the crop is better before they downsample the teleconverter version.
When I've done my own backyard testing I shoot the same test scene from the same distance and then crop the image in LR to the same FOV. I will then output jpegs at the same output size, bring them back into LR and compare at 200 or 300%. Basically the files come out a wash most of the time. So therefore I tend to stick with no-TC as I get better AF and a higher hit rate in my experience when I'm shooting real action out in the field. I figure if I can barely tell a difference under controlled tripod conditions and zooming in 2-300% then I'll take the better AF out in the field

I have 1.4 and 2.0 TC's and they just sit in my dry cabinet. I use Z9s but same sensor as Z8. I have a button on my Z180-600 and Z800pf (and other lenses) programmed to toggle between FX and DX and being an ID bird photographer in all habitats and a lot of wide open spaces I use dx on my 800 pf frequently it also helps focus with or without subject detection on those way off birds and no messing with TC's that I could not put on when a bird suddenly appears far enough away to need it.

Last edited:
I had the same question. I generally don't like using teleconverters myself. For some reason, I still like owning them. Insurance I guess. I recently bought a Z TC-1.4x from the Nikon refurbished store and mounted it to the only long Z lens I have, which is the 180-600mm. I've only had the teleconverter for a short time, so my experience has been a couple birds in the backyard and T-ball games. I'm really happy with the sharpness of the images I'm getting with the teleconverter. It's doubtful I'll make it a habit, but it's definitely going in the bag.

_NZ90755_Z9_180-600+TC14_2024.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Dave

I had the same question. I generally don't like using teleconverters myself. For some reason, I still like owning them. Insurance I guess. I recently bought a Z TC-1.4x from the Nikon refurbished store and mounted it to the only long Z lens I have, which is the 180-600mm. I've only had the teleconverter for a short time, so my experience has been a couple birds in the backyard and T-ball games. I'm really happy with the sharpness of the images I'm getting with the teleconverter. It's doubtful I'll make it a habit, but it's definitely going in the bag.

View attachment 89991

Dave
Cool backyard bird and great shot. If this showed up here in Idaho we would have a stampede of birders trying to see it :cool:

tests seem to show that a TC is sharper than a DX crop.
the only real drawback is losing 1-2 stops of light 🦘
Several reviewers make that claim, a TC gives sharper rests than cropping. What is missing is an actual comparison. It will make a difference between what lens you are comparing and the camera resolution. Fast high end lenses can take advantage of a TC. High resolution cameras do well when cropped.

I would like to see a link to an actual comparison.

I post a couple Mississippi Kite photos yesterday in the Wildlife Photography (presentation) yesterday, 600PF+ .14x - So i use it but only on that lens. The 180-600 zoom is not as friendly with the x14 - (but amazing otherwise). I don't use DX, I hang on to the pixels of FX.

Back