Thinking Zf vs Z8 for backup cam....

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I've shot with the Z9 three or four days (and hiked with it on those days) in -35 C or worse and it performed okay; there were some minor quirks certainly cold related, and the battery was utterly dead after about 6 hours. The D6 (and the D3) I used in similar temps many more times with zero issues, including battery life. That said, I've spoken with a photographer who shot polar bears on the same trip I'm taking using the Z9 and the 600 and she had no issues with camera or lens (gear stayed outside for the entire trip) or with battery recharging. And yah, the lust is there for the Z8 but again the back up camera is hopefully just going to be that so trying to purchase as insurance not with the lust for more great gear :). Thanks.
One thing about having the z8 as a backup, is you can have a long lens for wildlife on Z9 and wide angle for street walking/landscape on the other and also not have to be concerned about changing lenses in dusty environments. Just my thoughts!

No space w/ the two telephoto lenses... I'm trying to travel as light as I can.
bruce
Thanx Bruce & totally understand. Have a wonderful trip!

For a second I thought maybe you parted ways with the z17-28, lol

I bought the Z 17-28 f/2.8 but haven’t pressed it into service yet. Hope I like it!

Thanx Bruce & totally understand. Have a wonderful trip!

For a second I thought maybe you parted ways with the z17-28, lol

I bought the Z 17-28 f/2.8 but haven’t pressed it into service yet. Hope I like it!
Such a great lens... super value for its range.
regards,
bruce

Reactions: DsD
One thing about having the z8 as a backup, is you can have a long lens for wildlife on Z9 and wide angle for street walking/landscape on the other and also not have to be concerned about changing lenses in dusty environments. Just my thoughts!
No dust the trip; concern will be blowing snow or ice :) As for having the wide lens on the back up camera -- that's what I'll do with the Zf or the Z8, but yes another reason why the D6 is not real choice since I've got no wide f mount lenses remaining. Thanks.

I completely get your point. I've got plans this month to head out on a winter wildlife workshop in Japan. Lots of cold weather photography with a diversity of wildlife, wildlife-landscapes, and landscape opportunities. My Z9 will be fixed to the primary wildlife lens of the day, and I put the Zf on the my "other" lens so it's available for landscapes or when subjects approach my position.
I shot the Zf yesterday to test its autofocus in challenging winter conditions, and I am NOW confident that it can deliver if I need to use it.
It's always good to have some kind of redundancy when you've spent so much money on a trip... I'm actually thinking of picking up the "cheap" 28mm f2.8 so I have a spare wide-angle if I do something stupid to my 24-120.

cheers,
bruce

Edited to correct typo from "I am not confident..." to "I am NOW confident..."
Thanks. Morton Hilmer has a video of using the Zf for wildlife photography in very much weather and it performed!

I'd absolutely go the Z8. I did, but it is used more than my Z9 so I guess it is not an actual backup.
Yah as a second camera I think that's a great choice (the Z8) but too much of a camera (and price) I'm thinking for a worst case back up option. Thanks, Charles.

Yah as a second camera I think that's a great choice (the Z8) but too much of a camera (and price) I'm thinking for a worst case back up option. Thanks, Charles.
Understand. But your subject below was why I responded. Enjoy what a get, all is good.

Thinking Zf vs Z8 for backup cam....​

Thanks. I hear ya, definitely. But, one, I don't have a wildlfie zoom beyond other than the 180-400 and it's just too heavy to include especially since I've been told by a couple folks now that this trip is very unlikely to call for zoom flexibility. Two, that said I am still leaning to taking a zoom (if I don't with my luck the plolar bears will want to lay at my feet), but was thinking a z70-200 (with a tc) -- which I'll use extensively generally justifying the cost (and not making the 180-400 redundant as I do use that lens a lot as well (when travel isn't involved. I've thought about selling the D6 AND the 180-400; one I 'like' and use both (the lens a lot!), and the resale value is so low it wouldn't make my ability to afford a second cam (8 or 9) and a Z zoom. I like the desription 'grab and go'. That's how I treat the D6 and 180-400 (beside the Z9 and 600), but just not going to (and frankly not likely possible) to drag it all with me; and can't afford the switch to the lighter kits, as you suggest. That all said, how do you find the 180-600?
I used the 180-600 last weekend in the Lower Rio Grande Valley. I was surpised by the sharp photos I got. But you're right; it is heavy -- a pound and a quarter heavier than the Z 100-400. Attached is photo of Buff-bellied Hummingbird shot in DX mode. f/6.3, 1/1000, ISO 10000, 600MM (900MM) on Z8.

DSC_8293-01-12-24-TOS#1-Enhanced-NR.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I don't need a backup camera, ultimately. I'm not a pro. That said I have the Nikon D6 as back up to my Nikon Z9. Which I've turned to twice when the Z9 was in the shop. However. Enter the 600 f/4 TC lens which becomes a paperweight if the Z9 fails (e.g. I can't shoot new lens on old body). Further, enter my upcoming trip to Baffin Island in the early spring where I really don't want to be without a backup camera (e.g. be there and fate delivers a failure of the Z9 -- afterall it'll be over a week of very cold temps without respite for the gear, or me, from the cold). So the thought of spending several thousand dollars for ANY backup camera for just 10 days (and any future such trips, of course) hurts. Option is to risk it -- one camera body -- but that's really not a rational option, especially given my luck :) Option 2 is to take the D6 as backup AND take up a backup lens (say the 500 pf with tc or even the other behmoth lens 180-400)) but that's really pushing already strained gear packing space.

Option 3 is to choose the Zf for the backup camera. Bonus here is I suspect I'd likely wind up using that camera quite a bit for street and walk about photography; even portrait work I do (despite my preference for 'big' cameras in hand). So that would give it greater use than 'emergency' use only and take the sting out of the (already less $ than the Z8) price tag. And it's got all the AF power of the 8 and 9 so would be a great option for wildlife if it comes to that (eg Z9 crash).

Anyway, thought I'd use this forum to put my thinking down on the 'page' as I move to a decision. And with this crowd I suspect there will be a few thoughts and opinions :)

Also, on another matter re the trip north. I've decided for a Zoom option (along with the 600 prime) I'm going to take the z 70-200 and a tc, likely the 2x)
Hi Steven,
Hear my thoughts. Since I have the 600 tc and I have been shooting with it extensively ( three trips of more than a month each and so many weekends around in my province),it is my favorite lens ever. écluse I know you will love this lens as I do, it is better to use it as much as you can in your trip to Baffin Island. Therefore, I believe the D 6 wont be the good choice. I don’t know how much you like this camera and if you are willing to trade it with the Z8 body. i have the Z9 and the Z8 and I love both of them. whenI go out to shoot, I always have my Z9 attached to the 600tc all the time Of the shoot. i attach the Z 8 to one of my other lenses ( 400 mm 4.5, 70-200 f 2.8, 24-70 f 2.8, or my 180-600. And in some cases to the 105 macro) all depending on the location and the need for the situation. The Z 8 is amazing camera specially for videos. It can be used as main camera or as Backup in case the Z 9 failure.
Going to Baffin Island is a serious trip and maybe one time in our life ( since our planet has so much beautiful place to offer) and it deserve all the investment. Good luck with whatever you decide to go for it

Hi Steven,
Hear my thoughts. Since I have the 600 tc and I have been shooting with it extensively ( three trips of more than a month each and so many weekends around in my province),it is my favorite lens ever. écluse I know you will love this lens as I do, it is better to use it as much as you can in your trip to Baffin Island. Therefore, I believe the D 6 wont be the good choice. I don’t know how much you like this camera and if you are willing to trade it with the Z8 body. i have the Z9 and the Z8 and I love both of them. whenI go out to shoot, I always have my Z9 attached to the 600tc all the time Of the shoot. i attach the Z 8 to one of my other lenses ( 400 mm 4.5, 70-200 f 2.8, 24-70 f 2.8, or my 180-600. And in some cases to the 105 macro) all depending on the location and the need for the situation. The Z 8 is amazing camera specially for videos. It can be used as main camera or as Backup in case the Z 9 failure.
Going to Baffin Island is a serious trip and maybe one time in our life ( since our planet has so much beautiful place to offer) and it deserve all the investment. Good luck with whatever you decide to go for it
Thanks much!

Here is the problem with the Zf you can't find one they are on back order Nikon can't keep up with demand especially if you want a special color one. Your in Canada so maybe its less of a problem there but check to see if you can get one before your trip
All but the brown one available from Nikon dot ca directly here; retail selection sucks generally in Canada and only the black ones are available at any retailer I've check, but that's the one I'd get anyway :)

I don't need a backup camera, ultimately. I'm not a pro. That said I have the Nikon D6 as back up to my Nikon Z9. Which I've turned to twice when the Z9 was in the shop. However. Enter the 600 f/4 TC lens which becomes a paperweight if the Z9 fails (e.g. I can't shoot new lens on old body). Further, enter my upcoming trip to Baffin Island in the early spring where I really don't want to be without a backup camera (e.g. be there and fate delivers a failure of the Z9 -- afterall it'll be over a week of very cold temps without respite for the gear, or me, from the cold). So the thought of spending several thousand dollars for ANY backup camera for just 10 days (and any future such trips, of course) hurts. Option is to risk it -- one camera body -- but that's really not a rational option, especially given my luck :) Option 2 is to take the D6 as backup AND take up a backup lens (say the 500 pf with tc or even the other behmoth lens 180-400)) but that's really pushing already strained gear packing space.

Option 3 is to choose the Zf for the backup camera. Bonus here is I suspect I'd likely wind up using that camera quite a bit for street and walk about photography; even portrait work I do (despite my preference for 'big' cameras in hand). So that would give it greater use than 'emergency' use only and take the sting out of the (already less $ than the Z8) price tag. And it's got all the AF power of the 8 and 9 so would be a great option for wildlife if it comes to that (eg Z9 crash).

Anyway, thought I'd use this forum to put my thinking down on the 'page' as I move to a decision. And with this crowd I suspect there will be a few thoughts and opinions :)

Also, on another matter re the trip north. I've decided for a Zoom option (along with the 600 prime) I'm going to take the z 70-200 and a tc, likely the 2x)
The solution to avoiding risk, cost, anxiety over the Z9 reliability on your trip is very simple.

RENT a spare body just to cover the trip. Its not that expensive considering the costs -risks of the trip in time money and lost opportunity should things go wrong with your Z9, i have been a serious victim of that with my Z9. Once you have been a victim, you always cautious.

The ZF is from what i am slowly hearing is a nice tool, 24mp consumer camera ? and some of its features are possibly indicative signs of what may come in some future models like the Z6III Z7III and later versions of the interim model Z8 and older overdue for replacement Z9.

I completely understand the trip is about photography and need of insurance for a risky Z9 you have experienced the consequence of before.

Only an opinion

I went from a D850 and a D750 backup. 8 months ago, I moved to the Z8. I am thinking about a second Z8 as a backup, as the quality of my Z lens does seem a bit better, with less weight to pack around and not having to use the adapter.

My primary is the Z8 and as someone that recently picked up the Zf as my secondary / backup - I can say it's been my day-to-day grab & go choice since I got it. Don't get me wrong - the Z8 is a blast to shoot with and I'm still amazed by it. But having a different cool retro body with those tactile brass dials - well it's just FUN, when Z8/9 level speed isn't a priority. It really does slow you down and put you in a different mindset.

That said - it's also a fast body when you need it to be. You can lock down the dials and have it set up like other modern design bodies. Plenty of FPS for my needs. The AF and subject tracking are snappy, sticky, and accurate though it doesn't quite match the stacked sensor performance of the Z8/9 (nor should anyone expect it to). But it's impressively close, certainly for its average use case, and miles better than the Expeed6 bodies. Amazing low light performance and image quality, and I do love having a 24mp body alongside the 45mp Z8. Makes a very nice second body for sure.

My primary is the Z8 and as someone that recently picked up the Zf as my secondary / backup - I can say it's been my day-to-day grab & go choice since I got it. Don't get me wrong - the Z8 is a blast to shoot with and I'm still amazed by it. But having a different cool retro body with those tactile brass dials - well it's just FUN, when Z8/9 level speed isn't a priority. It really does slow you down and put you in a different mindset.

That said - it's also a fast body when you need it to be. You can lock down the dials and have it set up like other modern design bodies. Plenty of FPS for my needs. The AF and subject tracking are snappy, sticky, and accurate though it doesn't quite match the stacked sensor performance of the Z8/9 (nor should anyone expect it to). But it's impressively close, certainly for its average use case, and miles better than the Expeed6 bodies. Amazing low light performance and image quality, and I do love having a 24mp body alongside the 45mp Z8. Makes a very nice second body for sure.
I use my Z9 tool if and when needed, the D850 D6 mostly other times of course the DF is so much fun and on a manual Ziess lens even more so, technically its not a ZF.
just doesn't have the speed but with what i do it doesn't need it. By comparison its the perfect Dumb Camera often just what i enjoy LOL.

I have the ZF on my radar but want to see what the Z7III brings to the table.

I am hoping for the expeed 7 processor to be included in the Z7III, 10 fps 60 plus mp.
Maybe the Z6III might have a expeed 7 processor differentiating it from the ZF etc.

Good to hear your having fun.

Last edited:
The solution to avoiding risk, cost, anxiety over the Z9 reliability on your trip is very simple.

RENT a spare body just to cover the trip. Its not that expensive considering the costs -risks of the trip in time money and lost opportunity should things go wrong with your Z9, i have been a serious victim of that with my Z9. Once you have been a victim, you always cautious.

The ZF is from what i am slowly hearing is a nice tool, 24mp consumer camera ? and some of its features are possibly indicative signs of what may come in some future models like the Z6III Z7III and later versions of the interim model Z8 and older overdue for replacement Z9.

I completely understand the trip is about photography and need of insurance for a risky Z9 you have experienced the consequence of before.

Only an opinion
Thanks! Rental cost is very close to the cost of a Zf. As the risk is not financial (I'm not a pro) and my first reason for choosing this trip is the experience (so no photos would be huge disappointment yes, but not the trip is ruined stuff), and I do have a backup (D6) -- just means taking more gear than I'd like -- and the risk is 'low' that the Z9 will crash ultimately (tho I WILL be taking backup in whatever form) I'm not renting (e.g. spending that sort of $ for 'insurance'). Cheers.

Thanks!

I use my Z9 tool if and when needed, the D850 D6 mostly other times of course the DF is so much fun and on a manual Ziess lens even more so, technically its not a ZF.
just doesn't have the speed but with what i do it doesn't need it. By comparison its the perfect Dumb Camera often just what i enjoy LOL.

I have the ZF on my radar but want to see what the Z7III brings to the table.

I am hoping for the expeed 7 processor to be included in the Z7III, 10 fps 60 plus mp.
Maybe the Z6III might have a expeed 7 processor differentiating it from the ZF etc.

Good to hear your having fun.
What I'm fortunate with, given the timing, and the fact I don't want a third camera, is I don't have to concern myself with the 'what's coming next' scenarios :) Thanks for your thoughts! Cheers.

Just curious...I've never rented camera gear. How much would it cost (total) to rent a Z8 or Z9 for a week or two? I'd imagine shipping and some type of insurance is also needed?
Just over cdn$1,700 before any add ons (e.g. any insurance if not built into that price, tax, etc.) for two weeks. I keep saying that it's close to the cost of the Zf which an accountant would (my suggestion of the similarity in price) cry over :) but it's close enough when we're talking 'insurance' spend (e.g. I get nothing out of the rental gear and I'm not making revenue on the trip) that they merge in my head :) Cheers!

Back