Thoughts on lens covers

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

sh1209

Supporting Member
Marketplace
At least for the last 10 years or so, I have typically bought camera lens covers for protection often from LENS coat and ROLAN pro. For the last year or so I have completely quit using them because I feel they make using the zoom ring and focusing difficult. They also stretch out over time making them annoying when you’re trying to shoot. The only thing I use now is the front hood of the 600 mm prime lens. This is only because that hood cost so much. I just think it’s a more enjoyable and much easier experience using the lens without these things on there and honestly don’t plan on ever buying one again at this point. I keep all my gear insured and God forbid something happens, I’ll just turn in a claim I suppose. It is also very nice having the switches exposed at all times on the lens in case you need to make a quick change without having to remove the Velcro cover. I honestly can’t believe you how much better of an experience it is especially with the big prime lens not having one on there anymore. Just curious if others find these things as annoying as I do lol.

I have never used those. I have bought used lenses that came with the lens coat, I removed and toss that stuff out.
I accept it adds protection to the lens, but I handle carefully - plus a bit of patina is acceptable.

I have never used those. I have bought used lenses that came with the lens coat, I removed and toss that stuff out.
I accept it adds protection to the lens, but I handle carefully - plus a bit of patina is acceptable.
Yeah, I just try to be careful anymore. I keep one on that one large lens hood, but other than that I think they’re garbage and really take away from the experience of using the lens.

Same here - I used them in the past but they were always interfering with the lens controls. I also found they held water when wet - not great to have setting on the lens. I also found that when they were wet and temps were close to the dew point, that as they dried and cooled the lens, it caused fogging. Took them off and never again had the issue. My lenses run around naked and happy now :)

Same here - I used them in the past but they were always interfering with the lens controls. I also found they held water when wet - not great to have setting on the lens. I also found that when they were wet and temps were close to the dew point, that as they dried and cooled the lens, it caused fogging. Took them off and never again had the issue. My lenses run around naked and happy now :)
I agree, and they are the worst when you have gloves on which I typically have to wear six months out of the year because of nerve damage in my hands but after taking them off the 600 prime it’s like using a different lens. It’s just a much better experience.

It seems like we are talking about two completely different kinds of lens covers. If I understand the initial post (which I may or may not), he is talking about a large separate rain cover that you would place over a camera and lens and potentially tie off at the ends. Most of the replies seem to be referring to a tight skin (either thicker neoprene that slips on or thin vynil that sticks on).

The latter (a skin) I have never used, but I do use the former (a large rain cover that goes on and off). The brand I use is here: https://www.vortexmediastore.com/pages/storm-jacket-sizing-and-product-information
Some above complain about using the lens controls or focus ring, but I have never used any of the button presets on my lenses. For the lens cover, I have the "pro" version which has velcro along the entire bottom so you can open a section to accomodate a lens tripod foot if needed. I find it fairly easy to use and I like the peace of mind of having my gear protected from the rain (though living in the desert I don't shoot in the rain that often).

I’ve never tried one of those only the neoprene design, but I think from this point on I’m just going to leave them as is
You really don't even know it's there. Everything is accessible. I'm not easy on gear, leaning against whatever is available, bushwhacking through brush etc. This, hopefully, will keep the lens & hood like new,

I have them on lenses to prevent scratches/nicks to hopefully boost resale value. I use a lighter color that prevents lens from getting hot when shooting in sun. I no longer use the bands designed for the focus/control/function rings, nor do I use covers for sliding switches.

I haven’t used any lens covers over the years either. I also don’t put myself into many situations where I’d benefit from the protection they offer. I guess I haven’t been too concerned with the overall looks of the exterior of the lens although I guess I do well with what I do since I rarely see any imperfections.

I haven’t used any lens covers over the years either. I also don’t put myself into many situations where I’d benefit from the protection they offer. I guess I haven’t been too concerned with the overall looks of the exterior of the lens although I guess I do well with what I do since I rarely see any imperfections.
Yeah, average about 12 to 18 miles a week walking trails out in the woods and fields and places with thick brush. I have never damaged a lens in the field, Only coming out the garage door at my house lol. That was just a scuff that was easily removed with a magic eraser.

Yeah, stopped using neoprene covers and now use the vinyl wraps. They give scuff protection, not much beyond that, but they are skin-tight to the lens, don’t let in water, don’t interfere with buttons, and are lighter/less bulky (it feels more like using the bare lens vs. the thicker neoprene cover).

I’m not rough with my stuff, it isn’t getting slammed or knocked into things or dropped. The vinyl skins are there to protect against the errant tree branch, the buckles from my Peak Design strap rubbing against it, over time providing a barrier against the lens rubbing against my pant leg as it hangs off-shoulder and I m walking, any residual bug repellant, incidental stuff like that.

Last edited:
At least for the last 10 years or so, I have typically bought camera lens covers for protection often from LENS coat and ROLAN pro. For the last year or so I have completely quit using them because I feel they make using the zoom ring and focusing difficult. They also stretch out over time making them annoying when you’re trying to shoot. The only thing I use now is the front hood of the 600 mm prime lens. This is only because that hood cost so much. I just think it’s a more enjoyable and much easier experience using the lens without these things on there and honestly don’t plan on ever buying one again at this point. I keep all my gear insured and God forbid something happens, I’ll just turn in a claim I suppose. It is also very nice having the switches exposed at all times on the lens in case you need to make a quick change without having to remove the Velcro cover. I honestly can’t believe you how much better of an experience it is especially with the big prime lens not having one on there anymore. Just curious if others find these things as annoying as I do lol.
Yup I never use them. I have had the same experience. I do have a wrap on my 100-400, 400 and 600. They go in the field the most and provide protection against scratches and it looks cool 😀. It has zero impact to use and doesn’t get in the way since it’s just as the bare lens feels.

Hmmm I never thought you would be a nudist but I guess you shouldn’t judge a book by its cover lol.

It never made sense to me to add a cover to a black Nikon lens unless shooting in the snow with subjects that are easy to spook. If I had a white Sony or Canon lens it might be different. After putting a covering on a 600mm f/4 lens I had both issues with using the switches and buttons and also more difficult hold the lens while mounting it to a head or taking if off. My worry about dropping the lens was far more of a concern than worrying about protecting the lens from the weather.

My lenses are either in a backpack or in my hands or mounted to a tripod. If may be different for a professional photographer shooting for weeks or months in hostile conditions that cannot be avoided but that does not apply at all to me.

I have them on lenses to prevent scratches/nicks to hopefully boost resale value. I use a lighter color that prevents lens from getting hot when shooting in sun. I no longer use the bands designed for the focus/control/function rings, nor do I use covers for sliding switches.
I feel the same as Chuck, I have neoprene covers mainly for protection, but do not use on the focus/control rings. I find that having neoprene on either side of the rings actually guides my fingers to the rings. My sliding switches are not covered , there are windows in the neoprene.

I use then not so much for protection, because in opposition to @Steve I can't afford to treat lenses,TC's etc. just as tools. For me sometimes they really are marvels :) .
My primary focus is really the camouflage and if you don't have the privilege to shoot in regurlarly areas where "the subjects" are more tolerant, because they are used to not being bothered by humans much, it can be really important. My first lens I got with a lens cover was my old 50 f4 G I got from my friend and since I discovered the difference between sticking his protected 500 out of the tent compared with my naked 200-400 at the time (probably 15 years ago, I simply adapted to the experience he made as a nature pro.

I used to get Lenscoat stuff, but these days I prefer the Rolanrpro covers because of theirsnug fit and the far more exact manufaturing, especially if it comes to reach switches, buttons or scales on the lens. The one they malke for the Z 180-600 IMHO is great. Because the much more accurate fit they don't cause the problems I had with the lenscoats, where you end up moving neoprene against neoprene when rotating a ring on your lens and thus have haptic restrictions. That said, if you just use the lens covers on the pront part tha is normally sticking out of your other camou, e.g. a tent, in most cases the main rings and switches remain perfectly accessible as with an unprotected lens. This helps a lot and normally the front end of a lens is the most endangered part of the lens anyway if we talk about bumping against something.

I use them without regret since about 2015 now.

I have a lens coat on my 500PF, which I like. I can still use the manual focus ring, so no issues. And it keeps the lens cooler in the hot Hawaiian sun. On my Oly 100-400 I don't use one because I don't think they work well on zoom lenses.

What brands are you folks using for those skins on your longer tele lenses? I know Alphagurd but no skins for the 400-600-800mm Nikon primes.

EDIT: my bad, found them :)
There's a past thread here somewhere on this subject. Alphagurd are about $75., I bought this one for $28. and from what I can tell they are identical material.

Back