Thoughts on lens covers

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Same here - I used them in the past but they were always interfering with the lens controls. I also found they held water when wet - not great to have setting on the lens. I also found that when they were wet and temps were close to the dew point, that as they dried and cooled the lens, it caused fogging. Took them off and never again had the issue. My lenses run around naked and happy now :)
I have an OM 150-400 and put camo gaffers tape on the lenshood, so a large white thing doesn't stick out of the blind.

If I had white lenses the addition of a cover would make sense. With the black Nikon lenses I cannot say the same. I protect the front lens element when the lens is not in active use.
I have come close to dropping a 600mm f/4 with its cover that made it more difficult to grasp securely.

The disadvantages outweigh any advantages to a tight fitting lens cover. I do like the neoprene lens travel coats that allow me to put smaller items in the same compartment as telephoto lenses and minimize their bouncing around inside the backpack. I also use raincovers for my lenses and they help when there is windblown dust and dirt while the lens is mounted on a tripod.

Point of interest: I sent my 600PF (which has a vinyl wrap) into Nikon for cleaning (sand under the focus ring). Didn't think about it ahead of time, but I wonder if they'll need to get authorization from me to remove pieces of the wrap in order to perform the cleaning/repair, or is it possible that they will they refuse to work on it if it's wrapped? Anyone ever send a wrapped lens in before?

I took the wrap off of my 500mm PF when I sent it for repair. It was somewhat illuminating. The wrap was pretty dusty and dirty. I now take them off regularly for cleaning. And always if I've been out in wet weather, so they can dry.

I took the wrap off of my 500mm PF when I sent it for repair. It was somewhat illuminating. The wrap was pretty dusty and dirty. I now take them off regularly for cleaning. And always if I've been out in wet weather, so they can dry.
Well, neoprene wraps I always removed before sending in; in this case though, this is the first time I've sent something in with an Alphagvrd/3M Vinyl wrap. But yeah, regular cleaning of the LensCoat-style neoprene wraps is recommended, so much debris and detritus collect under them.

I use the lenscoat covers for protection, lenses inadvertantly get banged, and the neoprene helps grip when moving around. Today, Z9/800 5.6 was on the front seat as I moved around Baltimore Harbor shooting the Key Bridge mess. I would hold it for stops and turns. The newer Nikkor lenses have fewer controls, for older lenses with switches, ommiting a ring works.

Back