To "Z" or not to "Z"......?????

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thanks! As for Scenario #4, do I activate the VR on the lens, in my case on my Nikon 70-200 f/2.8, in order for that non Z mount to be VR capable?

The VR menu, I presume this is in the Z camera, in its Menu?

Thanks! As for Scenario #4, do I activate the VR on the lens, in my case on my Nikon 70-200 f/2.8, in order for that non Z mount to be VR capable?

The VR menu, I presume this is in the Z camera, in its Menu?

Yes. If a lens have a VR switch, that's where it is always controlled. (y)

For non-VR lenses, VR is under the Photo Shooting menu.

I love my Z6, ordered in on day of release with the 24-70f4. It was my first FF camera, going from D300, D7100, D500 and then to FF with the Z6. I was looking for a camera that would address a number of needs. I do a lot of youth to high school sports and I was looking for a camera that had better low light performance. I was also traveling more and wanted something that was a little lighter to carry. I also make several trips to Yellowstone and the Grand Tetons each summer to do a little wildlife photography. The Z6 seemed to fill those needs perfectly and it has not disappointed. I don't shoot BIF and have never found the subject tracking to be appropriate for my shooting. For my needs the 10FPS of my D500 was fine and the 12FPS on the Z6 was a nice increase. The only thing I had to adapt to was the slight lag in the EVF when shooting at 12FPS. I had to practice my panning when trying to track objects moving quickly across the field of view.

I shoot the Z6 a lot with a 70-200f2.8, 200-500f5.6, 70-300P, and my 50f1.8 all F series Nikkor lenses and they all work fine. The only time I prefer my D500 is when I need a little more reach and the lighting is good enough to shoot at under 3200. You get used to the EFV viewfinder really quickly and especially appreciate it when shooting in low light environments for a long period of time, like all day wrestling tournaments.

Now the real surprise for me is how much I have embraced shooting video with my Z6. I don't think I ever got comfortable with shooting video on the D500 using live view. I can shoot video with the Z6 through the viewfinder which just seems more natural, plus I can switch between video and stills very quickly. I probably spent more time shooting video in Yellowstone this summer than stills. I am still learning about shooting video but the Z6 has made it enjoyable.

The Z6 seemed to fill those needs perfectly and it has not disappointed. I don't shoot BIF and have never found the subject tracking to be appropriate for my shooting.

expanding on your comment and others please weigh in as well. We have all seen numerous discussions in various places that say the Zs are fine for sports but not for BIF...and Steve has said that BIF are ok but could be improved...not horrible but lower keeper rate were (I think) his words.

I really don’t see much philosophical difference between track or football and a BIF...fast moving action subject and low lightning conditions (lighted stadium bs dawnish/eveningish.

So...why the differing POV on sports vs. actionbBIF? Everybody seems to love the Sony’s for action/BIF...so perhaps it is just the original Zs are a bit lacking in comparison and hopefully the Z II reviews will bear out the hoped for improvements.

expanding on your comment and others please weigh in as well. We have all seen numerous discussions in various places that say the Zs are fine for sports but not for BIF...and Steve has said that BIF are ok but could be improved...not horrible but lower keeper rate were (I think) his words.

I really don’t see much philosophical difference between track or football and a BIF...fast moving action subject and low lightning conditions (lighted stadium bs dawnish/eveningish.

So...why the differing POV on sports vs. actionbBIF? Everybody seems to love the Sony’s for action/BIF...so perhaps it is just the original Zs are a bit lacking in comparison and hopefully the Z II reviews will bear out the hoped for improvements.

I think some of the differences are in speed of the subject and contrast. Even the fastest athlete running down the field is much slower than many (even most) BIF scearnios. In addition, birds are also a universally smaller target (with exceptions for Emus and Ostriches). Not only are they larger, slower targets, they are also usually wearing easy to see contrasty colors, not uniforms that try to blend into the background. Plus, they don't have flapping wings to distract / block the AF system as you try to stay on the body. In addition most of the time sports are shot with focal lengths between 100mm-400mm, making it even easier for the photographer to keep an AF point on the player - many BIF images are 600mm ~ 800mm which isn't as easy from an AF placement standpoint. Finally, when it comes to AF system design, I think when it comes to action, Nikon tends to design around the needs of sports shooter and not BIF photography. We just make it work. :)

I think some of the differences are in speed of the subject and contrast. Even the fastest athlete running down the field is much slower than many (even most) BIF scearnios. In addition, birds are also a universally smaller target (with exceptions for Emus and Ostriches). Not only are they larger, slower targets, they are also usually wearing easy to see contrasty colors, not uniforms that try to blend into the background. Plus, they don't have flapping wings to distract / block the AF system as you try to stay on the body. In addition most of the time sports are shot with focal lengths between 100mm-400mm, making it even easier for the photographer to keep an AF point on the player - many BIF images are 600mm ~ 800mm which isn't as easy from an AF placement standpoint. Finally, when it comes to AF system design, I think when it comes to action, Nikon tends to design around the needs of sports shooter and not BIF photography. We just make it work. :)
Maybe thats it...wings are moving faster than legs and the contrasts colors as well. I’m still considering my upgrade options...perhaps I’ll start a new thread to explore thoughts on them. Based on the released Z6II manual the frame rate isn’t going to improve much and while that’s a secondary consideration it isn’t a non issue.

I may just have to give BIF a try! I shoot more sports than wildlife and right now there just isn't much in the way of sports to shoot. My wildlife shooting this fall has been almost completely eliminated because of the fires along the front range in Colorado. So, maybe I need to add something new! I only commented on BIF because I just don't have any experience with it so I can't say how my Z6 performs. All I can say is that for the conditions I have used it in it has performed well.

I watch some of the demonstration videos showing a person walking towards the camera spinning around and seeing how quickly the Z cameras pickup the face or eye. A nice demonstration, but not something that demonstrates a situation that I will ever shoot. What I am waiting for is a camera that recognizes my granddaughters on the playing fields and then focuses only on their faces. It probably isn't that far off!

Last edited:
Well look what arrived for me today!!! So excited
F30BF238-7C33-4680-B6ED-244BD0260493.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Well look what arrived for me today!!! So excited
Are you planning on adding the grip? I used to be a grip guy, but not as much since I've moved to the Z6 - I'm not missing it. Not sure I'll get another. I did however pick up a SmallRig L-bracket for $40 - unlike many other L-brackets, this one has a grip extension (allows free access to battery door - great design).

Congrats on the Z6 ii !

Are you planning on adding the grip? I used to be a grip guy, but not as much since I've moved to the Z6 - I'm not missing it. Not sure I'll get another. I did however pick up a SmallRig L-bracket for $40 - unlike many other L-brackets, this one has a grip extension (allows free access to battery door - great design).

Congrats on the Z6 ii !
I am not too sure if I’ll be adding the grip. I’ll wait and see how long the battery lasts.

There is a strong signal from Nikon HQ we can expect over the next 2-3 years even more emphasis on the Z System (at the cost to any new F-mount products).

See the thread examining implications of projections of their changing strategy, which is made clear in their latest fiscal report for Q2 2020.

Last edited:
I began this thread almost a month ago; received a lot of great input. One reason for checking into a Nikon "Z" was an overall drop in gear weight. Got my hands on an FTZ adapter today, first thing I did was weigh it on a postal scale; to my surprise the unit minus its covers is 5 oz or 142 grams! HUH! Looks like the way to achieve the lightening of the load is to get "Z" lenses which translates into more $$$$$$$$$ than I wanted to throw at the project initially. Am I splitting hairs? Perhaps. D850 with Nikon 24-70 non VR weighs in at 1815g; a Z 6II with 24-70 f/2.8 weighs in at 1420 g. Is the weight differential worth the extra $$$$$$$ ???? Not sure!

I began this thread almost a month ago; received a lot of great input. One reason for checking into a Nikon "Z" was an overall drop in gear weight. Got my hands on an FTZ adapter today, first thing I did was weigh it on a postal scale; to my surprise the unit minus its covers is 5 oz or 142 grams! HUH! Looks like the way to achieve the lightening of the load is to get "Z" lenses which translates into more $$$$$$$$$ than I wanted to throw at the project initially. Am I splitting hairs? Perhaps. D850 with Nikon 24-70 non VR weighs in at 1815g; a Z 6II with 24-70 f/2.8 weighs in at 1420 g. Is the weight differential worth the extra $$$$$$$ ???? Not sure!

I think you have to really weigh out the pros & cons for your own photography needs - take your time deciding / don't feel pressured. I made the decision last summer to migrate to mirrorless - I sold 3 F lenses, and picked up 3 Z lenses (one of which is the 24-70 f/4 "kit" lens, which is phenomenal). My remaining F lenses for the time being - 70-300 AF-P, and the 200-500. Both of these work perfectly with the FTZ. I also still have my D7200 (which essentially became my wife's 🤷‍♂️😆).

My current Z gear - Z6, 24-70 f/4, 20 f/1.8, 85 f/1.8. I haven't had primes in quite a while and these 1.8 Z's are next-level :love: Very fairly priced compared to competing brands (and out-performs them all IMO). For what it's worth, I find that I'm taking my Z6 & 24-70 basically everywhere I go (Peak Design's 5L sling bag makes this really easy - it can hold the Z6 / FTZ / 70-300 setup as well).

Hope this is helpful.

Thanks for your input. For me it is a combination of weight reduction and how much money I want to invest. I know the trend is mirrorless. Now, if Nikon had a 28mm Z prime, I would be all in right now; that is my favorite focal length for walk around 'scape work. I have a Nikkor 28mm f/2.8 manual focus from film days, that lens weighs perhaps 9 oz? I love it on the D850. It looks out of place on the D850 simply because of its size vs the size of the D850 body. I have shot at night hand held with that lens on the D850; have used it for video work on my D7100. If money was not a challenge, I would have one body dedicated solely to those old manual focus primes. I almost sold them off; glad now that I kept them. All were made in Japan!

Should I go all in mirrorless, I will sell off my Nikon 24-70 f/2.8 non VR and throw that money at a 24-70 f/2.8 Z mount. My copy of the Nikon 70-200 f/2.8 FX is the current iteration and is my fastest focusing and sharpest lens I have...no doubt. Will keep that lens for sure.

End of the trail? My birthday present arrived last week, Nikon Z 6II with adapter package from B & H. Hurray? Not so fast. Have had it out of the box a few times, even showed it to a photography junkie buddy. Then I started watching You Tube videos comparing the Z6 and D750 and D780. Along comes Steve with his video on setting up a D780 for wildlife shooting. THANK YOU! And another 2 1/2 hour tutorial specifically on the D780. Another THANK YOU to that author. In both instances it was like watching an old friend except that friend was wearing a newer ensemble. The familiarity was there since I own both a D7100 and D850; as they say "Old habits die hard!". What will the Z 6II do that those two DSLRs can't/won't? No way the Z 6II outperforms my D850 especially with the Nikon current iteration 70-200 f/2.8 mounted; in my opinion my best overall lens. I called B & H yesterday; had a very nice conversation; my contact encouraged me to at least give the Z 6II a try out; I have until the end of January to return it if I choose. Part of the encouragement came from the fact that Nikon is putting so much of their resources into and behind mirrorless technology. It still comes down to how much I want to invest financially at this time because I have more limited resources than ever before. It comes down to battery life. It comes down to....I still covet a Nikon 28mm f/1.4 prime lens, and right now there is a $200 instant rebate from Nikon. So the soap opera continues..................

Nothing wrong with trying different gear, but giving something adequate time is important to get a true feel for it. Mirrorless is going to feel different at first - I had to push through that DSLR muscle memory when I got my Z6. For a little while, I felt like I had less control - when in fact, I just needed to put in the time so things became second nature. Going from optical to electronic viewfinder was the biggest thing for me (mainly with exposure). I think I mentioned earlier too (maybe in a different thread), one little thing that helped me a lot is setting up the rear display screen to not stay on all the time when you move your eye away from the EVF. The button on the EVF is set up to only toggle Prioritize Viewfinder (display stays off) and Automatic Display Switch (display turns off when your eye is in the EVF).

It's funny, now when I pick up the D7200 - I find myself "thinking" more now - tables have turned lol. For me - I'm in love with Z glass - nothing's touching it (even most (all?) of the best F lenses can't match the edge-to-edge sharpness). And I still have 2 F lenses that I love and use with the FTZ, fwiw.

My side question here is - if you return the Z6ii to B&H after using it for 2 months - do they turn around and sell it as "new", "used", or "open box"..? Curious.

End of the trail? My birthday present arrived last week, Nikon Z 6II with adapter package from B & H. Hurray? Not so fast. Have had it out of the box a few times, even showed it to a photography junkie buddy. Then I started watching You Tube videos comparing the Z6 and D750 and D780. Along comes Steve with his video on setting up a D780 for wildlife shooting. THANK YOU! And another 2 1/2 hour tutorial specifically on the D780. Another THANK YOU to that author. In both instances it was like watching an old friend except that friend was wearing a newer ensemble. The familiarity was there since I own both a D7100 and D850; as they say "Old habits die hard!". What will the Z 6II do that those two DSLRs can't/won't? No way the Z 6II outperforms my D850 especially with the Nikon current iteration 70-200 f/2.8 mounted; in my opinion my best overall lens. I called B & H yesterday; had a very nice conversation; my contact encouraged me to at least give the Z 6II a try out; I have until the end of January to return it if I choose. Part of the encouragement came from the fact that Nikon is putting so much of their resources into and behind mirrorless technology. It still comes down to how much I want to invest financially at this time because I have more limited resources than ever before. It comes down to battery life. It comes down to....I still covet a Nikon 28mm f/1.4 prime lens, and right now there is a $200 instant rebate from Nikon. So the soap opera continues..................
Well the Z6II and D850 are different animals. A better comparison would be a Z7II and D850.

I have a Z6 and D850. They both have their place in my kit. I would be interested in upgrading to a Z7II however I will likely buy a D6 first.

The Z bodies over a D850 give you essentially corner to corner focus points with more of them.
It will perform face and eye tracking that the D850 can't do.
The Z bodies have the ability to use the CF Express card, the D850 currently can't.
The Z will show you your exposure live in the EVF.
The Z is smaller and lighter.
The Z6II specifically compared to the D850 will be better with higher ISO.
The Z6II has a higher frame rate, even higher than a D850 gripped with a D5 battery.
The Z6II has a deeper buffer than a D850.
The Z6II is smaller than a D850.
The Z6II is lighter than a D850.
The Z6II allows you to shoot in silence, the D850 is loud.
The Z6II supports native S mount (Z) lenses and the F lenses with the FTZ adapter, the D850 can only use F mount lenses.
The S mount lenses have been sharper and overall better than their F mount counter parts.
You don't need a grip or additional battery or charger on the Z6II for top FPS.

These are just a few off the top of my head.

Each camera has it's place. Mirrorless vs DSLR is the big debate, they each have their place. Luckily with Nikon we can have the best of both worlds. I don't feel compelled at this point to only have one technology. I see DSLR bodies in my kit for the next 5 plus years or until mirrorless can do everything my DSLR's can and or do it better.

Last edited:
I am not/would not consider a Z 7/Z 7II at all, the primary reason is $$$$$$$$$$$. I've always taken my time embracing newer technology; it took me years before upgrading to an FX body, cost being one thing, and manufacturers getting as many bugs out as they can. To paraphrase Ansel Adams, 'the most important piece of equipment is the twelve inches behind the camera," and I totally agree. I have grabbed some good shots with my cell phone camera and I despise using it and only use it because at the moment it might be all I have to work with. Some of the best flowers pics I have ever taken, I got with a Nikon d70s and its kit lens.

@dtibbals thank you for the extensive list. It is very informative. There is however two sides to a coin.
What is an advantage to some might be a disadvantage to others.. it's all a matter of perspective.
for example:
- The Z6II is smaller than a D850 / for someone with big hands (me), that's not really an advantage (ease of gripping)
- The Z6II is lighter than a D850 / for someone with big lenses, a light camera body will introduces instability
- The Z6II supports native S mount (Z) lenses and the F lenses with the FTZ adapter / true but then you lose the advantage of fast AF and weight..

I agree the Z cameras are great cameras, please don't misunderstand me, and I will eventually buy one..
I just don't like how the trend is going, the so called Specs Race..
smaller and lighter isn't always better.. or Face / Eye detection taking center stage over IQ, Color output, Handling etc.

Back