Tripods (add your own compliment/sarcasm) and the color red

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Got you. That’s the tripod I have. Personally, I wouldn’t get the modular apex, even if it will make you look cool. The ability to fold down more compactly would outweigh everything else.
This is my main question now. Seems easier to carry with the smaller apex and that's how I am leaning. Other than carrying does it matter elsewhere? Suitcase? other?

The Center Column list is pretty good, but it leaves out some popular mid-priced models such as Benro. I also found the ranking overly simplistic. Testing was always done at maximum height, which meant a short tripod had less vibration than a tall tripod and was ranked higher. For me, height is a priority and I could deploy a tall tripod at a lower height for less vibration, so my weights changed. The Center Column ranking also placed a premium on lower weight, but at some point lighter weight means compromises in functionality or durability. I also considered travel tripods with weighting for a lighter desired weight and shorter height. So I created my own ranking using some of their data and my priorities.

Here is my ranked list of full size tripods. I have only used the Gitzo and RRS tripods.
  1. FLM CP38-L4 II
  2. RRS TVC-34L
  3. RRS TVC-24L
  4. Feisol Elite CT-3472 M2
  5. Gitzo GT3533LS Sytematic
  6. RRS TVC-33
  7. Gitzo GT4533LS Systematic
  8. RRS TVC-33S
  9. ProMediaGear TR343L
  10. RRS TVC-23
  11. RRS TFC-33S
  12. Leofoto LN-404C
I also looked closely at tripod design and specific features. For example, the hub and leg castings on the Gitzo CF tripods are cast, and in my experience vulnerable to cracking or fracturing. The casting on the leg tubes are very thin. In contrast, RRS, ProMedia and others use CNC milling for the hub and other components. I also like the teardrop foot on the RRS tripods - particularly for rocks and streams. And I found customer service for replacement parts was much better with RRS than with Gitzo.

If you are shopping for a tripod or ballhead, be sure to check eBay and KEH for used stock. Used RRS gear is still expensive, but you can likely save 10-15% off retail. The gear is incredibly durable. My RRS ballhead is 15 years old and still works perfectly.
@EricBowles thanks. This is good and interesting. If you are ever in Arizona, you and me and my engineering brother in law should have a beer. He would love to hear about how you did this.

I have ruled out FLM - made in China - I am just drawing a line where I can.
Looked at Feisol - they don't seem to have a "long" version with legs vs center column. I could be wrong. Again a hard website to navigate.
I am still with your number 9 which compares to your number 2. So do you have both, what differences do you see? Thanks very helpful.

after trying Gitzo, Suiri and Leofoto, I find Leofoto the best quality for the price by far. Their recent designs are innovative and definitely not mere copies of established models. In any case, Leofoto export into most countries unlike RRS.

One tripod I plan to get when feasible is the Sachtler 75 (aka Vinten) for swift deployment, the handle, reliability and stability for heavier rigs. My ideal tripod would be a lighter approx. 2kg Sachtler

after trying Gitzo, Suiri and Leofoto, I find Leofoto the best quality for the price by far. Their recent designs are innovative and definitely not mere copies of established models. In any case, Leofoto export into most countries unlike RRS.

One tripod I plan to get when feasible is the Sachtler 75 (aka Vinten) for swift deployment, the handle, reliability and stability for heavier rigs. My ideal tripod would be a lighter approx. 2kg Sachtler

Of course Leofoto exports where they won't face IP claims. Of course they innovate now; but they blatantly copied many designs and features. How would you feel if a large company stole your photos and you couldn't fight them. Everyone should ask themselves that question. There is no lack of clarity on this in my mind. Did you see the post above on the ballhead?

Last edited:
@EricBowles thanks. This is good and interesting. If you are ever in Arizona, you and me and my engineering brother in law should have a beer. He would love to hear about how you did this.

I have ruled out FLM - made in China - I am just drawing a line where I can.
Looked at Feisol - they don't seem to have a "long" version with legs vs center column. I could be wrong. Again a hard website to navigate.
I am still with your number 9 which compares to your number 2. So do you have both, what differences do you see? Thanks very helpful.
A beer sounds great. I'm more of a data and statistics guy, so this reflects the desire to use a formula.

Here is the detail for the two tripods you referenced. As you can see, I have both Center Column weights and my composite score. My score for stiffness had a maximum value of 2 because they are all pretty good, and a breakeven target of 1500 because stiffness was important. Height was based on a target height of 65 inches and a maximum score of 2.5. Weight was based on a target weight of 4 pounds so lighter tripods were penalized for less stability and robustness.
TripodPriceStiffness NmEHB Stiffness ScoreHeight inEHB Height scoreWeight lbsEHB Weight ScoreCtr Column ScoreTotal EHB rating
RRS TVC-34L$1,16016561.3167.82.434.53-1.2715892.48
ProMediaGear TR343L$85017831.5759.31.124.12-1.0615911.63

The ProMedia model evaluated was stiffer but shorter than the RRS which is why it was stiffer. It's relatively short so it would depend on terrain. The RRS is quite good, but is targeted for a big, long lens - a 600mm f/4 in my case. The RRS TVC-24L is probably better for most people, and while it is not as stiff it makes up for that by being 12 ounces lighter and the total score was about the same. If you are not using an f/4 500mm or 600mm lens or a 400mm f/2.8, it might be a better choice.

The other thing I saw was the weight differences were largely inconsequential. I was not going to compromise performance over 8 ounces.

I don't own anything from ProMedia Gear, but I have handled their gear and it is well made. Their designs are innovative and they intend to directly compete with RRS.

I wwould also check out the many tripods now made by Benro. Some still use the name associated with the company they now own, like Induro. My current tripod for use with a 500mm f4 and a gimbal head is the Induro CT 404. I use it with a leveling base.

Of course Leofoto exports where they won't face IP claims.

Of course they innovate now; but they blatantly copied many designs and features.
Good luck deciphering which company actually originated what features, and when, across the prominent tripod designs
How would you feel if a large company stole your photos and you couldn't fight them.
Leofoto has a big regional centre in USA?
Everyone should ask themselves that question. There is no lack of clarity on this in my mind.
i have more important things to worry about, not least that the tripod brand is locally available and supported. If Acratech and RRS do not export their products, it goes without saying this limits the choices outside of N America
Did you see the post above on the ballhead?
Relevance?

Last edited:
A beer sounds great. I'm more of a data and statistics guy, so this reflects the desire to use a formula.

Here is the detail for the two tripods you referenced. As you can see, I have both Center Column weights and my composite score. My score for stiffness had a maximum value of 2 because they are all pretty good, and a breakeven target of 1500 because stiffness was important. Height was based on a target height of 65 inches and a maximum score of 2.5. Weight was based on a target weight of 4 pounds so lighter tripods were penalized for less stability and robustness.
TripodPriceStiffness NmEHB Stiffness ScoreHeight inEHB Height scoreWeight lbsEHB Weight ScoreCtr Column ScoreTotal EHB rating
RRS TVC-34L$1,16016561.3167.82.434.53-1.2715892.48
ProMediaGear TR343L$85017831.5759.31.124.12-1.0615911.63

The ProMedia model evaluated was stiffer but shorter than the RRS which is why it was stiffer. It's relatively short so it would depend on terrain. The RRS is quite good, but is targeted for a big, long lens - a 600mm f/4 in my case. The RRS TVC-24L is probably better for most people, and while it is not as stiff it makes up for that by being 12 ounces lighter and the total score was about the same. If you are not using an f/4 500mm or 600mm lens or a 400mm f/2.8, it might be a better choice.

The other thing I saw was the weight differences were largely inconsequential. I was not going to compromise performance over 8 ounces.

I don't own anything from ProMedia Gear, but I have handled their gear and it is well made. Their designs are innovative and they intend to directly compete with RRS.
@EricBowles Ok I think I read your listing wrong as the Pro Media is the TS344L which has a fourth section and goes to 71" and is similar in price to the RRS. You may not have that in your table.

I've bought and sold more tripods that I care to remember, but my "current" photography setup, from heaviest to lightest:

Sachtler Flowtech 75
RRS TVC 34L
RRS TVC 24L

Pound for pound, I've personally found RRS to be slightly stiffer/better engineered than most.

One more thing that is probably well known - but just in case. Carbon fiber does legitimately have vibration dampening characteristics that can make a big difference. With a long lens, these characteristics are especially important so I would only consider carbon fiber for the legs unless your budget is very tight.

This is my main question now. Seems easier to carry with the smaller apex and that's how I am leaning. Other than carrying does it matter elsewhere? Suitcase? other?

Yes, it would make a big difference when packing a suitcase. Also, I’d have to see the measurements, but I suppose it could be a problem in the side of a backpack. My head already hits my ballhead sometimes when hiking, and I have the compact version.

As to the debate over RRS v. Pro Media Gear, there are things I like better about each brand. Ultimately, though, either one will be perfectly fine. I’ve used the RRS to get sharp shots at 700mm and 1/20 second. I’ve used the PMG to take exposures that were several seconds long in absurdly strong winds in Iceland. The main difference in actual use is that the RRS has a slightly wider base, which has meant that I need to pay a little closer attention to the PMG to make sure it is not going to tip over when setting it up on uneven terrain. Obviously, if I’m concerned, I just extend a leg or two out from its default, locked position to stabilize it, but I had a couple of close calls before I got used to that slightly narrower base. That said, it’s not a big deal. And, final point, I’m 6’2”’and have never had a problem with either the RRS or the PMG being too short.

One more thing that is probably well known - but just in case. Carbon fiber does legitimately have vibration dampening characteristics that can make a big difference. With a long lens, these characteristics are especially important so I would only consider carbon fiber for the legs unless your budget is very tight.
I’m not an expert here, but I’ve been floored at how well these carbon fiber tripods dampen movement from wind and running water. I’ve had mine in lots of very precarious positions and never had a problem with movement blur. (Knock on wood)

Yes, it would make a big difference when packing a suitcase. Also, I’d have to see the measurements, but I suppose it could be a problem in the side of a backpack. My head already hits my ballhead sometimes when hiking, and I have the compact version.

As to the debate over RRS v. Pro Media Gear, there are things I like better about each brand. Ultimately, though, either one will be perfectly fine. I’ve used the RRS to get sharp shots at 700mm and 1/20 second. I’ve used the PMG to take exposures that were several seconds long in absurdly strong winds in Iceland. The main difference in actual use is that the RRS has a slightly wider base, which has meant that I need to pay a little closer attention to the PMG to make sure it is not going to tip over when setting it up on uneven terrain. Obviously, if I’m concerned, I just extend a leg or two out from its default, locked position to stabilize it, but I had a couple of close calls before I got used to that slightly narrower base. That said, it’s not a big deal. And, final point, I’m 6’2”’and have never had a problem with either the RRS or the PMG being too short.
Information I found PMG on their website and RRS from a review.
Why RRS doesn't have this in their specs is beyond me.
So it's 24 vs 25 or 26 with legs extended right?

ProMediaGear
  • 3 Locking Leg Angle Positions: 24°/50°/84°
RRS One review says the three leg angles are (26° / 53° / 86°). But another review says - All Really Right Stuff tripods have leg locking angles of 25, 55, and 85° and non-locking angles can be used if conditions permit.

Lots of great comments here, not sure if mine are of help but.....I had been a Gitzo person for years, still use their monopod, but on a recent trip with my big 600 F4 the central circle shaped pate (not center column) somehow came loose (despite that I check this stuff constantly), and when I went to set the tripod down, the center mount detached....fortunately nothing fell to the ground. I contacted RRS as I had questions over a couple of their models, and learned that instead of a single tightening bolt for the collar that holds the central plate in place like Gitzo, they use three separate set screws and the likelihood of all three getting loose enough at the same time is next to impossible. Their tripod was also somewhere between 1 and 2 pounds lighter and boy did that make a difference. Both are the carbon fiber type in my case. The RRS tripod legs do not spread quite as wide as the Gitzo, so I'm less cavalier about putting it down and walking away without being extra certain, but it is very stable and nice to work with. Glad I got a new tripod. I avoided the travel version and went for the regular one. I prefer no center column for maximum stability and the ability to spread the legs to maximum and literally lay on my tummy and shoot low. I also choose tripods with legs longer than I need to assist with steep hiilsides, or times I'm forced to shoot high overhead. The extra leg length really comes in handy.

Lots of great comments here, not sure if mine are of help but.....I had been a Gitzo person for years, still use their monopod, but on a recent trip with my big 600 F4 the central circle shaped pate (not center column) somehow came loose (despite that I check this stuff constantly), and when I went to set the tripod down, the center mount detached....fortunately nothing fell to the ground. I contacted RRS as I had questions over a couple of their models, and learned that instead of a single tightening bolt for the collar that holds the central plate in place like Gitzo, they use three separate set screws and the likelihood of all three getting loose enough at the same time is next to impossible. Their tripod was also somewhere between 1 and 2 pounds lighter and boy did that make a difference. Both are the carbon fiber type in my case. The RRS tripod legs do not spread quite as wide as the Gitzo, so I'm less cavalier about putting it down and walking away without being extra certain, but it is very stable and nice to work with. Glad I got a new tripod. I avoided the travel version and went for the regular one. I prefer no center column for maximum stability and the ability to spread the legs to maximum and literally lay on my tummy and shoot low. I also choose tripods with legs longer than I need to assist with steep hiilsides, or times I'm forced to shoot high overhead. The extra leg length really comes in handy.
I stopped buying Gitzo tripods after a similar incident. I had several design issues with my 3540LS tripod. None were catastrophic, but all were problematic and caused by Gitzo design choices. In fairness - my wife has exactly the same tripod and had no issues. The primary reason I am using a RRS tripod is related to design and engineering.

I stopped buying Gitzo tripods after a similar incident. I had several design issues with my 3540LS tripod. None were catastrophic, but all were problematic and caused by Gitzo design choices. In fairness - my wife has exactly the same tripod and had no issues. The primary reason I am using a RRS tripod is related to design and engineering.
Thanks, nice to know (unfortunately really) I'm not the only one. I was amazed how big a difference that couple pounds makes carrying for length of time I do with my big lens. I'm very happy with my RRS.

Information I found PMG on their website and RRS from a review.
Why RRS doesn't have this in their specs is beyond me.
So it's 24 vs 25 or 26 with legs extended right?

ProMediaGear
  • 3 Locking Leg Angle Positions: 24°/50°/84°
RRS One review says the three leg angles are (26° / 53° / 86°). But another review says - All Really Right Stuff tripods have leg locking angles of 25, 55, and 85° and non-locking angles can be used if conditions permit.
I don’t know what the actual numbers are, but the PMG is ever-so-slightly narrower than the RRS. It’s just enough to notice a difference in when the legs are in their default positions. But, again, it’s not a big deal. I almost never shoot with the legs in their default positions, and if I have any concerns, I just unlock one and reposition it so that the rig is stable. And so that it doesn’t seem like I am being overly negative about the PMG, I do like it’s twisting knobs better than RRS. I can certainly deploy it faster than I could the RRS, and of course, the PMG comes with spikes for the feet, whereas you have to buy those separately from RRS (and they’re not cheap).

I love my old Gitzo, but noticed a drop in quality last several years. Probably when they combined facilities with sister brand Manfrotto.

A big business for RRS, probably bigger than photography are rifle tripods. Hence the emphasis on over-engineered reliability.

Color means nothing to me, so I say get whatever strikes your fancy!

Performance means everything, however. I've used a Gitzo series 5 (GT5530L, I believe) for more than 20 years now, with an RRS BH-55 lever clamp and I swear by it. I'm a pro nature landscape shooter and occasionally shoot a little wildlife with it too. I use it the gulf coast swamps and marshes A LOT, and maybe once or twice a year I will wipe it down with a damp rag just so my hands don't feel so filthy after using it. I do wash it well anytime I use it in salt water, but fortunately that's not very often. After a wipedown with a damp rag, I swear it still looks pretty darn good, and the RRS still works like it's brand new. Best money I've ever spent. The tripod I used BEFORE this model was an old Bogen (don't remember the #), but it was their heavy duty tripod for outside usage. I used it from 1983 to ~2005 and it looked like it had been thrown off a cliff a couple of times. I had replaced all of the leg locks at least 2-3 times, and the stops that prevent the legs from splaying out too far no longer worked (on 2 of the legs, 1 still did). The difference between the old Bogen and the Gitzo after 20 years was dramatic!!! The moral is "You get what you pay for"! The Gitzo/RRS was much more expensive but I have no doubt it will still be going strong when I take my dirt nap (I'm 71 now, so hopefully, that'll be at least another 10 years or more).

Color means nothing to me, so I say get whatever strikes your fancy!

Performance means everything, however. I've used a Gitzo series 5 (GT5530L, I believe) for more than 20 years now, with an RRS BH-55 lever clamp and I swear by it. I'm a pro nature landscape shooter and occasionally shoot a little wildlife with it too. I use it the gulf coast swamps and marshes A LOT, and maybe once or twice a year I will wipe it down with a damp rag just so my hands don't feel so filthy after using it. I do wash it well anytime I use it in salt water, but fortunately that's not very often. After a wipedown with a damp rag, I swear it still looks pretty darn good, and the RRS still works like it's brand new. Best money I've ever spent. The tripod I used BEFORE this model was an old Bogen (don't remember the #), but it was their heavy duty tripod for outside usage. I used it from 1983 to ~2005 and it looked like it had been thrown off a cliff a couple of times. I had replaced all of the leg locks at least 2-3 times, and the stops that prevent the legs from splaying out too far no longer worked (on 2 of the legs, 1 still did). The difference between the old Bogen and the Gitzo after 20 years was dramatic!!! The moral is "You get what you pay for"! The Gitzo/RRS was much more expensive but I have no doubt it will still be going strong when I take my dirt nap (I'm 71 now, so hopefully, that'll be at least another 10 years or more).
Great story. I shoot in salt water in tropical heat (I cover surfing competitions in C. America). Another pro taught me a trick, showering with my tripod after each session. The 55 is also my go-to for that environment.

Back