Tripods (add your own compliment/sarcasm) and the color red

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I’ve used the TVC-24L w/RRS BH-55 and a Wimberley Sidekick for the last decade with a 300mm f/4 + 1.4 TC and a crop sensor Nikon (mostly D500) [630mm FF equivalent). Weight-wise, this has been great. However, zoomed at 100% in live view, one can see vibrantion that takes a bit of time to settle down. Exposure delay mode has been a must for slower shutter speeds with that amount of reach. I can imagine the issue being more pronounced with a larger, heavier lens, even though the support system can easily hold it. Removing the Sidekick does improve the vibration issues, but I lose the ease of movement and the balanced load.

I’ve used the TVC-24L w/RRS BH-55 and a Wimberley Sidekick for the last decade with a 300mm f/4 + 1.4 TC and a crop sensor Nikon (mostly D500) [630mm FF equivalent). Weight-wise, this has been great. However, zoomed at 100% in live view, one can see vibrantion that takes a bit of time to settle down. Exposure delay mode has been a must for slower shutter speeds with that amount of reach. I can imagine the issue being more pronounced with a larger, heavier lens, even though the support system can easily hold it. Removing the Sidekick does improve the vibration issues, but I lose the ease of movement and the balanced load.
Had a similar setup and similar issue. I attributed it 100% to the sidekick so got rid of it.

So as I get down to more a decision I noted the RRS TFC-34L - their compact 34MM model - doesn't have a bubble level on it. So besides not including the spikes this seems to be another add on. I have put in an inquiry to see how one would add it.

I’ve shot lots of panos using that method. I just re-level the camera as I turn it. You’re saying that I would get better results if I leveled the tripod?

Wouldn’t I need to level the camera as I turn it, even if the tripod were already level?
Correct. The horizon should remain flat and constant as you pan, make stitching a breeze. I use a leveling base on my RRS.

Wouldn’t I need to level the camera as I turn it, even if the tripod were already level?
Nope, if you level the tripod head and the tripod head has a pure panning function then once leveled a pan will stay level across its panning range. That's useful for panos and birds in flight or other tracking of mostly horizontal motion (e.g. wildlife running across the flats, some running races, bike races and other things where you pan with the action).

Leveling the tripod itself or using a leveling base under your chosen tripod head can really help in terms of not needing to re-level the camera as you pan.

Nope, if you level the tripod head and the tripod head has a pure panning function then once leveled a pan will stay level across its panning range. That's useful for panos and birds in flight or other tracking of mostly horizontal motion (e.g. wildlife running across the flats, some running races, bike races and other things where you pan with the action).

Leveling the tripod itself or using a leveling base under your chosen tripod head can really help in terms of not needing to re-level the camera as you pan.
Yeppers, there is a reason for those bubble levels on the apex....

Why is it that RRS can’t match Leofoto’s price Yet the quality is the same ?? 🤔
I don't want to start a brand war, but they aren't the same in all respects. My RRS 24L exhibited similar torsional stiffness vs. a series 3 Leofoto that I tested it against. I shoot long lens video and torsional/vibrational stiffness is paramount for my needs. The Leofoto was returned and I own two RRS tripods.

Well, heck. I guess I’ve been making harder than necessary on myself. Suppose I’ll finally follow the manufacturer’s instructions and level the tripod.

Last edited:
In addition to Eric's comments, be aware that the 24L apex is smaller than the 34L and cannot take some accessories -- like a 75mm bowl adapter for a fluid head, for example, which may or may not be important. That said, the 24L is a light weight but very capable tripod, and performs as well as some series 3 tripods that I've compared it against. The thin lowest leg sections are the weakest link, for sure.

And speaking of the 800pf on the 24L...here it is on a Flexshooter mini, which works surprisingly well considering how light the tripod+head is.

View attachment 64516
May i ask please, what is the bracket around the Z9 body

Back