What's In My Bag? Africa, 2024!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Great video Steve! I like the bag. I have the Shimoda action X 70. It is hard to take on the plane. I think the goura you mentioned must be more compact and is still have as much space as the Shimoda to carry the gear. One question, does the discount code works for Canadian if we buy from their CanadIan web?

It's a tough call on the 70-200. From 70-200, I don't know that there's really much reason to go F/2.8 for most things. Most of the time at those FLs, I tend to stop down because I'm doing a wider shot and want better sharpness for the landscape. However, you would have a gap and I'd rather have a 1.4TC on a 2.8 lens than an F/4 lens. I'd honestly be tempted to keep the F/4 70-200 and still take the 200-500 and 500PF. It's a bit redundant, but sometimes you just need a zoom. :)
Yes, you are right...sometimes one needs or the situation asks for a zoom...my idea was to replace the zoom with the PF because it is quite lighter, sharper and faster in AF (I saw your video :) ) and I thought to take one FX (850) and one DX (7500) to get a wider the focal length with 70-200 and 500pf (I also have the 300PF which could serve as well if one overlooks the problem of changing lenses in the field) , but I was not totally convinced....the question that arises from your last line is: if you consider it a bit redundant....why would you take both lenses, 200-500 and 500pf in your backpack? :unsure:

That makes sense. I just need to decide if I want to spend the money on it or not. Thanks
A data point for you to consider: I have both the 180-600 and the 600PF. I thought long and hard about investing in the 600PF. I've had it about a month. It focuses faster than the 180-600 and I think the image quality is a little better, too, but that's subjective. As of now, If I know I'll need the focus distance flexibility the 180-600 will be in my bag. If I think I'll likely be shooting more distant subjects mostly, the 600PF will go with me. In both cases, the 70-200 possibly with the 1.4TC will be on my Z8. Longer lenses will be on my Z9. We'll see how that goes during my next couple of outings.

They really work well - I JUST got a new forest green 30L + :)

The big thing is that they fit everywhere. We're heading to Botswana on Saturday and AirLink has really tight overhead space - but this bags fit, even when the small "airline compliant" rollers don't!
@Steve Thanks for the great video, and it's very timely as I'm shopping bags right now! I have been researching the GG Kiboko 30L/30L+ bags for a little while now, with an eye towards being able to accommodate my Z 600 TC in it (along with extra lenses and bodies), and still be carry-on compliant. I like the Gura Gear Kiboko bags, but I have been concerned about the max depth that is listed in their specs.

Obviously you demonstrate how you can (somewhat easily) fit your 600 TC in the bag, and this is the one with the laptop sleeve no less. I was initially thinking that I would need to go with the non-laptop version of the bag to even have a chance of fitting the 600 TC inside, since that version gives you 0.5" more depth to work with. Now I'm not so sure that I need to (or should) go this route.

The dimensions on the GG website list the 30L+ model at: 11.81 x 20.08 x 5.5" and the regular 30L model at: 11.81 x 20.08 x 5.91" . This definitely sounds too shallow for the 600 TC, which has a 6.5" diameter opening, and that's without the lens hood. So I was definitely worried how easily it fit in there, and with how much wiggle room. Obviously there is some expansion that the bag allows, and you've shown that the 600 will even fit in the 30+ model with a lens hood.

I'm still undecided about the laptop sleeve yay, or nay. I'm definitely not hiking around in the field carrying my laptop, but having the option of the sleeve integrated in the bag is nice to have for carry-on luggage. Still, I think I would rather give it up for the extra 0.5" of depth.

It sounds like you have chosen to go with the laptop sleeve model, but how much benefit do you think there would be to having the extra 0.5" of depth of going with the regular 30L? Or conversely, how close to the limit do you think you are using the 30L+ and carrying the 600 TC?

Last edited:
A data point for you to consider: I have both the 180-600 and the 600PF. I thought long and hard about investing in the 600PF. I've had it about a month. It focuses faster than the 180-600 and I think the image quality is a little better, too, but that's subjective. As of now, If I know I'll need the focus distance flexibility the 180-600 will be in my bag. If I think I'll likely be shooting more distant subjects mostly, the 600PF will go with me. In both cases, the 70-200 possibly with the 1.4TC will be on my Z8. Longer lenses will be on my Z9. We'll see how that goes during my next couple of outings.
Thanks for sharing. I know I’d like the lens but I really don’t know I need it. I really like my 400 4.5 and the 180-600 so I’m trying to decide when I’d use what. The sale runs for a month so I have some time to decide. If I remember, I follow up with you by PM in a couple weeks to see if you have any updates on how you’re using them.

Great video Steve! I like the bag. I have the Shimoda action X 70. It is hard to take on the plane. I think the goura you mentioned must be more compact and is still have as much space as the Shimoda to carry the gear. One question, does the discount code works for Canadian if we buy from their CanadIan web?
I'm really not sure - I would think so.

Yes, you are right...sometimes one needs or the situation asks for a zoom...my idea was to replace the zoom with the PF because it is quite lighter, sharper and faster in AF (I saw your video :) ) and I thought to take one FX (850) and one DX (7500) to get a wider the focal length with 70-200 and 500pf (I also have the 300PF which could serve as well if one overlooks the problem of changing lenses in the field) , but I was not totally convinced....the question that arises from your last line is: if you consider it a bit redundant....why would you take both lenses, 200-500 and 500pf in your backpack? :unsure:
Because sometimes you need a zoom.

Here's my experience with primes. In 2022 when I went to Botswana, I decided to try just a PF kit – it was a disaster. I was constantly changing lenses always had the wrong focal length and it was very frustrating overall. On that trip we also had a Sony kit along and when I used that I often used the 200 to 600 right alongside the 600 F/4. Although there was redundancy there, there were often times that there just wasn't time to jump to another camera that might have different settings going on in the heat of the moment. So sometimes you just need a zoom :)

@Steve Thanks for the great video, and it's very timely as I'm shopping bags right now! I have been researching the GG Kiboko 30L/30L+ baga for a little while now, with an eye towards being able to accommodate my Z 600 TC in it (along with extra lenses and bodies), and still be carry-on compliant. I like the Gura Gear Kiboko bags, but I have been concerned about the max depth that is listed in their specs.

Obviously you demonstrate how you can (somewhat easily) fit your 600 TC in the bag, and this is the one with the laptop sleeve no less. I was initially thinking that I would need to go with the non-laptop version of the bag to even have a chance of fitting the 600 TC inside, since that version gives you 0.5" more depth to work with. Now I'm not so sure that I need to (or should) go this route.

The dimensions on the GG website list the 30L+ model at: 11.81 x 20.08 x 5.5" and the regular 30L model at: 11.81 x 20.08 x 5.91" . This definitely sounds too shallow for the 600 TC, which has a 6.5" diameter opening, and that's without the lens hood. So I was definitely worried how easily it fit in there, and with how much wiggle room. Obviously there is some expansion that the bag allows, and you've shown that the 600 will even fit in the 30+ model with a lens hood.

I'm still undecided about the laptop sleeve yay, or nay. I'm definitely not hiking around in the field carrying my laptop, but having the option of the sleeve integrated in the bag is nice to have for carry-on luggage. Still, I think I would rather give it up for the extra 0.5" of depth.

It sounds like you have chosen to go with the laptop sleeve model, but how much benefit do you think there would be to having the extra 0.5" of depth of going with the regular 30L? Or conversely, how close to the limit do you think you are using the 30L+ and carrying the 600 TC?
In reality, I think the "depth" is the same since everything is soft and flexible. Without the laptop, I really can't tell any difference with how the lens fits in it. I got the 30L+ simply because one day I might travel light (LOL, I know, I know) and want everything in one bag. That, and I've though about maybe putting a thin slice of yoga mat in where the laptop goes for kneeling down in trucks :)

One thing to consider though - because the bag stretches, I do wonder if it would fit into a super-tight overhead (the 7" ones) with BOTH the 600 and laptop in it.

In reality, I think the "depth" is the same since everything is soft and flexible. Without the laptop, I really can't tell any difference with how the lens fits in it. I got the 30L+ simply because one day I might travel light (LOL, I know, I know) and want everything in one bag. That, and I've though about maybe putting a thin slice of yoga mat in where the laptop goes for kneeling down in trucks :)

One thing to consider though - because the bag stretches, I do wonder if it would fit into a super-tight overhead (the 7" ones) with BOTH the 600 and laptop in it.
Good point, but at least once you've made it onto the plane you could take the laptop out of the bag if necessary, and put it in the seatback pocket (if it even fits there :ROFLMAO:)

Thanks Steve and very interesting. Going to Zambia in September and my Gura Gear 30L weights 8.8 kg with 2 Z8s, 70-200 F2.8 and 400 F2.8 TC and extra stuff.
The gap between 200 and 400 has never been a problem as cropping works very well with these exceptional lenses. Two unusual things I do :

1) No laptop. First, because of weight. And second because i just want to enjoy the rest of the day relaxing and not spending time reviewing photos. This obviously raises questions about back-up but I have a plan...
- I have CF cards (325GB CF) and SD cards same size. The SD cards are not used in the normal course (not back-up). What I do is the following.
- After each drive (morning / evening), I create a new folder on the CF card. It takes two seconds and the numbering is automatic. I then copy the prior folder with the day's pictures to the SD card (again quite quick and the new folder is created automatically in the SD card). So in practice, I have a complete copy on the SD card but not live (and not in a way that will slow down the 20 fps frame rate). It just requires a little disciple once or twice a day.
2) Mini monopod. It weights 200g. I attach it to the lens foot. I attach on the other side of the monopod a handle. With that, I can stay in the vehicle but have my camera outside and closer to the ground. Also, the monopod can always be used in the vehicle in case a bean bag is not practical. And it takes little space.

Frederic

Thanks for the video. I have watched several other videos of yours but this was especially germane since m wife and I are going in September. You reassured me on much of the gear I hav assembled: Gura Gear, 2 Z8s, 180-600, 24-120, SSDs for backups, permethrin impregnated clothes, …

In one place you mentioned that your wife did much of the video with the Z8. I have been a hobbyist photographer since before digital but am a complete newbie on video. Much of the intro to videography things I have found go into audio, lighting, storyboarding, camera movement, etc. things I can’t control in the safari vehicle. I recognize that I will be taking just “video snapshots” but i‘d like good quality. Can you suggest some sources of information?

Thanks

It's time for a NEW "What's In My Bag, Africa Edition!" Video!

This is the 2024 version so you can see what I currently bring to Africa - and why! We'll talk cameras, lenses, accessories, computers, backup, and even clothing choices! I also include some alternative ideas for cameras and gear for a more budget-friendly approach to an African Safari. A must view before your next Africa trip! (Heck, this kit works really well just about anywhere!)

Below are links for the products mentioned in the video. Note that these are affiliate links and I get paid a small commission when you make a purchase after clicking the link (which, of course helps support the forums). Thank you for your support.

Gura Gear 30L+
10% Off Code: bcg10

Nikon Z9:

Nikon Z8:

Nikon 24-120:

Nikon 100-400:

Nikon 600TC

Alternatives:

Nikon 180-600:

Nikon 600PF:

Sony 200-600:

Canon 100-500:

Batteries

Z8 Battery:

Z9 Battery:

Binoculars (CL 8x25)

Lens Wipes:

Microfiber cloth:

Lens Pen With Brush:

Rocket Blower:

Sensor Swabs:

Visible Dust Smear Away Solution:

Delkin Black Memory Cards (325GB):

3rd party lens body / rear lens caps:
Nikon: https://amzn.to/44evCHQ
Sony: https://amzn.to/4aTRgUn
Canon: https://amzn.to/4d9D7E5.

4TB Samsung T7 SSD (backup drives):

Apple AirTag:

OFF! Wipes:

Permethrin Spray for clothing:
(Note, this is VERY harmful to cats when wet - make sure your clothes are thoroughly dry and use outside only)

Laptop Bag & Accessories:

GuraGear Chobe 16 Laptop Bag:
10% Off Code: bcg10

Apple 16" MacBook Pro (I have an M2, the new ones are the M3 - I have a 4TB SSD and 64GB RAM)

Delkin CF Express Card Reader:

JBL 660NC Noise Cancelling Headphones

Amazon Kindle:
Excellent video Steve👍👍👍 Thanks

Thanks Steve and very interesting. Going to Zambia in September and my Gura Gear 30L weights 8.8 kg with 2 Z8s, 70-200 F2.8 and 400 F2.8 TC and extra stuff.
The gap between 200 and 400 has never been a problem as cropping works very well with these exceptional lenses. Two unusual things I do :

1) No laptop. First, because of weight. And second because i just want to enjoy the rest of the day relaxing and not spending time reviewing photos. This obviously raises questions about back-up but I have a plan...
- I have CF cards (325GB CF) and SD cards same size. The SD cards are not used in the normal course (not back-up). What I do is the following.
- After each drive (morning / evening), I create a new folder on the CF card. It takes two seconds and the numbering is automatic. I then copy the prior folder with the day's pictures to the SD card (again quite quick and the new folder is created automatically in the SD card). So in practice, I have a complete copy on the SD card but not live (and not in a way that will slow down the 20 fps frame rate). It just requires a little disciple once or twice a day.
2) Mini monopod. It weights 200g. I attach it to the lens foot. I attach on the other side of the monopod a handle. With that, I can stay in the vehicle but have my camera outside and closer to the ground. Also, the monopod can always be used in the vehicle in case a bean bag is not practical. And it takes little space.

Frederic
I tired the monopod thing and I think it's just too awkward with my 600 F/4 - I have to hang outside the car too much too! I sometimes can open the door though and get lower that way and most of the time the grass was such that I needed to be at the height I was anyway. I might revisit the monopod idea down the road, as I am a fan of lower level shots :)

Thanks for the video. I have watched several other videos of yours but this was especially germane since m wife and I are going in September. You reassured me on much of the gear I hav assembled: Gura Gear, 2 Z8s, 180-600, 24-120, SSDs for backups, permethrin impregnated clothes, …

In one place you mentioned that your wife did much of the video with the Z8. I have been a hobbyist photographer since before digital but am a complete newbie on video. Much of the intro to videography things I have found go into audio, lighting, storyboarding, camera movement, etc. things I can’t control in the safari vehicle. I recognize that I will be taking just “video snapshots” but i‘d like good quality. Can you suggest some sources of information?

Thanks
Probably the video forum here on BCG is the best bet - lots of knowledgable people there.

Great video Steve! And great comments too.

I will add two:

1. In my bag I always make sure I have some tools to use if needed. One that is always there is a hex key to keep those Arca Swiss plates tight. Something like this:

You may have to put it in your checked baggage to get through TSA.

2. Chobe bag. I have the original one and use it all the time and not just for photo trips. It is a great bag for overnight trips by car or air. It also is a great airline bag for under the seat if you have a rolling bag in the overhead compartment.

Thanks
You might find this thread helpful....

Thanks for the link. There was a lot of useful information there.

It's easy for me since I'm the tour leader :)

I have found that even with me sitting next to the driver, I have to constantly remind them to keep back. Basically, I show them where I want the truck and they make it happen, that seems to work best. Telling them to simply stay back a bit doesn't translate - telling them to park next to the bush over there does. However, you also have to be careful because if you start calling the positions out and you blow it, the rest of the truck will NOT be happy with you and you'll take the blame for missed shots. I've done it enough that I'm developing a decent instinct and put the truck in the right spot the vast majority of the time.
Many thanks - hadn't thought of approaching it that way. Gotta keep that one in mind for our next trip. Certainly less risky in a private vehicle versus shared vehicle.

Thank you Steve 👍👍👍 I am going to Yellowstone in the fall. Any changes you would mention or the same gear and lenses? Maybe a monopod? Thx Mike

I was planning to shoot some video clips on an outing this weekend. I’m a complete newbie and that thread was very helpful! Thanks for posting this, Karen! So much to learn…

During the video @Steve mentions instructing the driver to stay back from the animals. How much luck do people have with that. On our last trip, we had a few different guides and only one understood and didn't have to be constantly reminded - the rest never got the concept despite multiple requests. I think they are too used to cell phone photographers and just want to park on top of the poor animal.
Depends on the forcefulness of the leader. Steve was telling our driver exactly where to go with the vehicle and Ellison recognized what he wanted and did it. I was told that the other driver was a little less responsive to stop here or go there…but I wasn’t in that vehicle.

Thanks, I thought that might be the case when you said she was using the 24-120. Off topic, but as you mentioned she had the 180-600 and 600mm PF, do you think there is enough difference at 600mm to justify both? I assume so since she had both with her. The current sale has me considering adding the 600pf again, but I already have the 180-600 and 400 4.5 and 1.4x. I am rewatching the comparison video now, but thought you may have some updated thoughts now you have had it longer.
I already had the 600PF and 100-400 and happily ordered the 180-600. While the shorter zoom is plenty good enough…the longer one will make for me a perfect companion to the 600 with the 1.4 TC on it…unless the length of the hike, the need for the 100-180 range, or the better MFD on the 100-400 make it the better choice for an outing.

Back