What's In My Bag? Africa, 2024!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

We use a rolling duffle from Eddie Bauer - the model we use is discontinued now though, that's why I didn't include it. They have similar rolling duffles, but the ones we have are a nice in-between size that works REALLY well.
Steve, what do you recommend for a duffle (maybe rolling) that will fit through the opening in the Cessna Caravans that some Botswana safari operators use? We’re planning on going there with Pangolin in 2025 and I’m concerned about that small opening. Thanks.

I have the 100-400 and the 1.4x TC and the 180-600mm and am wondering whether or not to keep the 180-600mm lens. With the 100-400mm and teleconverter I effectively have a 140-560mm f/8 zoom and lose only 2/3 f-stop but have the view angles of 100mm to 180mm and the combination is 0.6 lbs lighter and more compact.

When I used the 600mm f/4 and the 500mm PF it was not unusual to switch to the 80-400mm to have the wider view angle I needed for a subject(s). On my last trip to Costa Rica the 600mm was used for less than 10% of the images I took. Most of the time when I have used the 600mm f/4 it was with the TC-14 attached for a 840mm f/5.6 setup. The 800mm PF has taken their place.

Steve, what do you recommend for a duffle (maybe rolling) that will fit through the opening in the Cessna Caravans that some Botswana safari operators use? We’re planning on going there with Pangolin in 2025 and I’m concerned about that small opening. Thanks.
Both Eddie Bauer and LL been make some - something under 30L should be OK. The bags we have are no longer made, otherwise, I'd say go for them :)

I have the 100-400 and the 1.4x TC and the 180-600mm and am wondering whether or not to keep the 180-600mm lens. With the 100-400mm and teleconverter I effectively have a 140-560mm f/8 zoom and lose only 2/3 f-stop but have the view angles of 100mm to 180mm and the combination is 0.6 lbs lighter and more compact.

When I used the 600mm f/4 and the 500mm PF it was not unusual to switch to the 80-400mm to have the wider view angle I needed for a subject(s). On my last trip to Costa Rica the 600mm was used for less than 10% of the images I took. Most of the time when I have used the 600mm f/4 it was with the TC-14 attached for a 840mm f/5.6 setup. The 800mm PF has taken their place.
The 180-600 is much sharper than the 100-400 + TC. To me, that alone is a pretty good argument - plus, it's 2/3rds of a stop faster. If anything, I'd consider the 100-400 + 600PF. Lightweight, easy to handle, etc.

Steve, I've followed your advise for many years now and even have one of your books. I've learned so much from you. However, while I have "equipment envy" regarding all the high end stuff you take on safari, I wanted to share an alternative with those of your readers who can't afford a Z9 or three bodies and three lenses. I have been on safari many times in Africa, India and most recently in Borneo. I am down to carrying one Nikon DSLR body with a 100-400mm zoom, plus a cell phone. I never have to worry about getting dust and dirt inside the camera body because I never have to change lenses. This covers virtually everything I ever want to shoot. The cell phone can be used for stills and especially dramatic, wide angle pano's, plus video. I carry an extra battery and charger, one set of extra cards and my iPad. After lunch and in the evening I delete junk right off my camera. Then I load the rest onto my iPad. This all easily fits into a day-pack. That and a roller carry-on is all I travel with. Each is under seven kilos or fifteen pounds. I've been lucky and never had an equipment failure. Its Nikon after all. And, like Steve, I'm much more selective about what, and how much, I actually shoot. I don't need another image of a cat taking a nap, or another sunset image that could have been taken anywhere in the world. I've found that going light has its advantages. I know my equipment and never have to hesitate when an interesting situation presents itself, while I've seen many people scrambling to get the right set-up and failing to get anything. And, I'm happy with the results. Food for thought.

I was curious about the bug repellent. I’ve seen antidotal reports it can cause the rubber(like) cladding on the Nikons to come off. Thoughts?
Products with DEET in it was the culprit. It is advised that you not handle plastics and rubber 5-10min after you applied the DEET product to you body. That can also include your pair of (sun)glasses at it soften the plastics and rubber. Never had any of those issues myself with my Nikon gear as I follow this 10' waiting time.

Hi @Steve I wondered about your experinces with the GuraGear Chobe 16 bag, does it fit under the seat OK? Looking at the dimensions it is too large for my usual airline and the Chobe 13 is too small for my laptop.

@ Steve! I am hopping in the future that you will do a video on how to clean the sensor with sensor swabs. I know they are some videos out there, but I kind like to learn from you. I have the swabs and the liquid but I still don’t trust myself that I can do it. Off course it is also depends on how many people need to learn about this topic and for you to decide whether it is worth putting the time in it. I keep hope!

Hi @Steve I wondered about your experinces with the GuraGear Chobe 16 bag, does it fit under the seat OK? Looking at the dimensions it is too large for my usual airline and the Chobe 13 is too small for my laptop.
Most of the time it does. Every now and then I run into a seat where it's not really "ideal" but I can sort of make it work. :)

@ Steve! I am hopping in the future that you will do a video on how to clean the sensor with sensor swabs. I know they are some videos out there, but I kind like to learn from you. I have the swabs and the liquid but I still don’t trust myself that I can do it. Off course it is also depends on how many people need to learn about this topic and for you to decide whether it is worth putting the time in it. I keep hope!
I've thought about it, but people get WEIRD when it comes to cleaning things and I really just don't want to deal with all the nonsense it would generate.

A Chobe 2.0 is on my wishlist....

Fyi - detailed reviews

Last edited:
Most of the time it does. Every now and then I run into a seat where it's not really "ideal" but I can sort of make it work. :)
Thanks Steve, I struggle getting my current bag under seat and it is much smaller than a Chobe 16. The Chobe 16 is larger than the BA underseat size limit. Maybe I need to downsize my laptop 💻 to fit in a Chobe 13 :)

Thanks Steve, I struggle getting my current bag under seat and it is much smaller than a Chobe 16. The Chobe 16 is larger than the BA underseat size limit. Maybe I need to downsize my laptop 💻 to fit in a Chobe 13 :)
It's really odd sometimes - I had a tough time getting my bag under the new seats on my last Delta flight (like comfort premium or something - pretty good seat TBH). They changed the design and now it's much tighter than before. I sort of shoved it up against the seats in front of me and no one cared :)

I fear I may end up with a MacBook Air just of International travel in the future - it's silly to have two laptops, but here we are.

I was curious about the bug repellent. I’ve seen antidotal reports it can cause the rubber(like) cladding on the Nikons to come off. Thoughts?

Products with DEET in it was the culprit. It is advised that you not handle plastics and rubber 5-10min after you applied the DEET product to you body. That can also include your pair of (sun)glasses at it soften the plastics and rubber. Never had any of those issues myself with my Nikon gear as I follow this 10' waiting time.
I have read this too and I only use natural bug repellent with no DEET. If it is bad for your camera seems to me it might be bad for your body too? (I don't mean camera body, I mean your actual body).

It's really odd sometimes - I had a tough time getting my bag under the new seats on my last Delta flight (like comfort premium or something - pretty good seat TBH). They changed the design and now it's much tighter than before. I sort of shoved it up against the seats in front of me and no one cared :)

I fear I may end up with a MacBook Air just of International travel in the future - it's silly to have two laptops, but here we are.
It's funny you mention that. Even on larger jets, they are shoving so many electronic boxes under the seats, it's a crap shoot as to whether an individual seat will have room underneath it to fit more than one's feet.

@Steve Thanks for the great video, and it's very timely as I'm shopping bags right now! I have been researching the GG Kiboko 30L/30L+ bags for a little while now, with an eye towards being able to accommodate my Z 600 TC in it (along with extra lenses and bodies), and still be carry-on compliant. I like the Gura Gear Kiboko bags, but I have been concerned about the max depth that is listed in their specs.

Obviously you demonstrate how you can (somewhat easily) fit your 600 TC in the bag, and this is the one with the laptop sleeve no less. I was initially thinking that I would need to go with the non-laptop version of the bag to even have a chance of fitting the 600 TC inside, since that version gives you 0.5" more depth to work with. Now I'm not so sure that I need to (or should) go this route.

The dimensions on the GG website list the 30L+ model at: 11.81 x 20.08 x 5.5" and the regular 30L model at: 11.81 x 20.08 x 5.91" . This definitely sounds too shallow for the 600 TC, which has a 6.5" diameter opening, and that's without the lens hood. So I was definitely worried how easily it fit in there, and with how much wiggle room. Obviously there is some expansion that the bag allows, and you've shown that the 600 will even fit in the 30+ model with a lens hood.

I'm still undecided about the laptop sleeve yay, or nay. I'm definitely not hiking around in the field carrying my laptop, but having the option of the sleeve integrated in the bag is nice to have for carry-on luggage. Still, I think I would rather give it up for the extra 0.5" of depth.

It sounds like you have chosen to go with the laptop sleeve model, but how much benefit do you think there would be to having the extra 0.5" of depth of going with the regular 30L? Or conversely, how close to the limit do you think you are using the 30L+ and carrying the 600 TC?
I think one thing that would really help is using the Zemlin hood and lens cap on the z600/4 and personally I would not get the “+” version as adding the weight of a 16” laptop makes the 30L very heavy I much prefer carrying my laptop in a separate shoulder bag

Steve - many, many thanks!

I’ve been using a ThinkTank/MindShift Backlight 18L for the last two-three years. Absolutely nothing wrong with it, appears almost new, and has been a great bag. However, size has restricted me bringing some gear on outings, either leaving some at home or having to pack a second bag.

After watching your video and doing a little research, I ordered the Gura Gear 30L+ yesterday and it will arrive tomorrow. Now I can carry my 800mm f/5.6 on one side and my other equipment on the other. I rarely do extended hiking, so weight is not a big concern. Just keeping everything together in one “grab’n’go” pack is ideal for my needs.

So, thanks again for another great video and explanation!

Back