What's In My Bag? Africa, 2024!

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I will use DEET under 3 conditions. I'm in a high-risk area AND it only goes on my neck , ears AND I can wash my hands after applying it.

For hand, face and "accessible" skin I use Picaridin. Clothes are treated with Permethrin.
That is what my physician recommended before I went on a trip to the Amazon jungle several years ago, in addition to prescribing malaria meds. He works occasionally for Doctors Without Borders in remote areas in Central and South America.

I think one thing that would really help is using the Zemlin hood and lens cap on the z600/4 and personally I would not get the “+” version as adding the weight of a 16” laptop makes the 30L very heavy I much prefer carrying my laptop in a separate shoulder bag
I haven't really looked into the Zemlin hoods, although I don't know if I want a shorter hood since it compromises flare resistance (although, a shorter overall length might be nice even out side the bag). Still, I'll have to look into it more - it is an interesting idea. As of the "+" - I mostly got it so Ihad the option if I ever needed it. I do more with the bag than just Africa and it really doesn't compromise storage if you're into using it. Sort of future proofing I guess :)

Thank you. Your advice has always had great value for me. I purchased the GG 22L back when I had my D500/500PF combo and found it to be an excellent camera bag, but not so good as a backpack. Now that I have the Z8/600PF combo, I want a bigger bag. The GG 30L is on my short list, but I am concerned about its comfort level as a back pack. Is there much difference in the comfort level of the bags? The MindShift 36L looks good to me as well. Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Thank you. Your advice has always had great value for me. I purchased the GG 22L back when I had my D500/500PF combo and found it to be an excellent camera bag, but not so good as a backpack. Now that I have the Z8/600PF combo, I want a bigger bag. The GG 30L is on my short list, but I am concerned about its comfort level as a back pack. Is there much difference in the comfort level of the bags? The MindShift 36L looks good to me as well. Any thoughts would be appreciated.
There are plenty of recommendations for the Mindshift Backlight backpacks and have one myself. It is a fantastic made backpack and feels comfortable.
You can equally look to the NYA-EVO 36L Fjord Econyl along with a Large RCI. Also a nicely made backpack with many happy users here in this community. I am currently traveling with this NYA-EVO as I alternate with the MS BackLight 26L.
In this bag is currently a Z8, the 600mm PF, the 24-120mm f/4 lens and various pouches with batteries, my meds and other smaller stuff.

I am surprised how many people lug around a laptop computer on vacaction. (I know Steve needs it to keep up this site, but for most people I don't get it). I don't because I am on vacation - I don't need the hassle or the weight. I also have no need to back up my images in the field - I just leave them on the memory card and sort when I get home.

I am one of those sad cases that lugs around his laptop and this for:
- backup of the memory cards and writing it to external SSD drives
- keep in tune with what is happening in the big bad outside world
- I do read and reply on emails
- watch a movie or so via Netflix

For some of the above reasons will some of you shake their head but that is just who I am :) I am single, most of my dedicated photography trips are in Kruger where one is limited on what can be done in the evening, not a person that goes to a bar, …
That is why I have my big backpack with photography equipment and a laptop shoulder bag with other essentials in it such as wallet, batteries, headphone, power bank, passport, …
We all have our reason for doing what we do :)

It's really odd sometimes - I had a tough time getting my bag under the new seats on my last Delta flight (like comfort premium or something - pretty good seat TBH). They changed the design and now it's much tighter than before. I sort of shoved it up against the seats in front of me and no one cared :)

I fear I may end up with a MacBook Air just of International travel in the future - it's silly to have two laptops, but here we are.
Be careful with the Air idea…the 15 isn’t much smaller than your MBP 16 and the smaller Air has IMO insufficient screen pixels to use LR very much. Importing would be ok, but any serious PP is hard, even on my MBP 14 which has more pixels than the smaller Air. One can bump the resolution higher…but with loss in screen image quality. And one really doesn’t save that much weight with the Air over the 14 either…when I upgraded from my 2015 rMBP I went all around the specs before picking the 14.

I am surprised how many people lug around a laptop computer on vacaction. (I know Steve needs it to keep up this site, but for most people I don't get it). I don't because I am on vacation - I don't need the hassle or the weight. I also have no need to back up my images in the field - I just leave them on the memory card and sort when I get home.
That means either a lot of memory cards or big ones…and unless you write to both cards you don’t have any backup in case of a failed card…granted that’s uncommon but not impossible. I took my laptop to Serengeti last month with Steve but in reality I could have used my iPad instead…

I think the 30L is more comfortable than the 22 - BUT - I have not tried the mind shift. I mean, neither is as comfortable as something like an internal fram backpack, but for a camera backpack, I think they're pretty good. They have a lot of adjustable support options.

I agree to an extent - my big concern would be backup. As mentioned, you need a lot of cards and I personally like my image in no less than 3 places. I could do it with memory cards, but it's a lot of memory cards. Still, I also think there's an argument to be made for having a good time with as few hassles as possible, so I get it :)

Be careful with the Air idea…the 15 isn’t much smaller than your MBP 16 and the smaller Air has IMO insufficient screen pixels to use LR very much. Importing would be ok, but any serious PP is hard, even on my MBP 14 which has more pixels than the smaller Air. One can bump the resolution higher…but with loss in screen image quality. And one really doesn’t save that much weight with the Air over the 14 either…when I upgraded from my 2015 rMBP I went all around the specs before picking the 14.
I'd probably give up on any post processing at that point. Maybe culling, and keeping on top of things. Not ideal for sure. I won't do it unless I absolutely have to - right now, I'm at the airport on my way to Botswana using the big 16 inch MBP :)

I think one thing that would really help is using the Zemlin hood and lens cap on the z600/4 and personally I would not get the “+” version as adding the weight of a 16” laptop makes the 30L very heavy I much prefer carrying my laptop in a separate shoulder bag
Yes, agreed, and I'm pretty much following that approach to the letter.

I have the Zemlin hood and lens cap on order, but I don't know if they will arrive in time before a trip I have later this month. I also have the LensCoat TravelHood and Hoodie on order (arriving on Monday) that I can use if the Zemlin gear doesn't arrive in time. They will also provide additional traveling options, that may allow me to fit my 600 TC in other bags that may be better suited for hiking, but less suitable as airline carry-ons (like maybe my NYA-EVO 60-C, or the 50-C when it arrives).

Regarding which size of GG Kiboko bag one should get for fitting a 600 f4; I was concerned enough about the loss of depth that you get with the laptop model, that I decided to order both models and do some sizing tests with my gear. Then I plan to keep the one I prefer and return the other one. Guess which one I am sending back..., Yep, the 30L+ (laptop model).

I test fitted both bags with my Z 600 TC with the OEM hood and lens cover. So this is the worst case scenario, as I could go with slimmer options. (once I have received the alternate hoods and lens covers). I was able to fit the lens and hood combo in both bags and zip the top flap closed, but it was definitely a struggle with the 30L+ and I could feel some bulging in the back panel when I put on the backpack.

I didn't even try to fit my 16" laptop in the 30L+ with my 600 TC lens inside, because the bag was already bulging too much without it. But I did confirm that a 16" laptop does fit inside the dimensions of the laptop pocket (if the bag is not overly packed).

I'll include a few iPhone shots I took during my fitting tests. When the color is visible, the gray bag is the 30L+ and the Sahara bag is the 30L.

Measurement of the depth from the floor of the insert to the hinge of the flap (Kiboko 30L) :

IMG_4655.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Measurement of the depth from the floor to the hinge in the Kiboko 30L+ :

IMG_4656.jpg

Folding the top flap over loosely (Kiboko 30L) :

IMG_4658.jpg

Folding the top flap over loosely (Kiboko 30L+) :

IMG_4657.jpg

Measurement of the gap opening before zipping shut (Kiboko 30L) :

IMG_4662.jpg

Measurement of the gap opening before zipping shut (Kiboko 30L+) :

IMG_4661.jpg

I didn't take any pictures (yet) with the bags zipped shut, as I wasn't sure if the differences would be noticeable (also I was just documenting the test results for my own use in determining which bag to keep).

In the end, having the greater interior volume that's available with the Kiboko 30L was quite noticeable and I value that aspect much more than being able to carry a laptop in my camera bag. The fact that the 30L is slightly cheaper is also a bonus. (y)

Last edited:
I'd probably give up on any post processing at that point. Maybe culling, and keeping on top of things. Not ideal for sure. I won't do it unless I absolutely have to - right now, I'm at the airport on my way to Botswana using the big 16 inch MBP :)
Have a FUN and SAFE trip!!! 🛫🛬📸

Have fun…wish I was going with you.

Yes, agreed, and I'm pretty much following that approach to the letter.

I have the Zemlin hood and lens cap on order, but I don't know if they will arrive in time before a trip I have later this month. I also have the LensCoat TravelHood and Hoodie on order (arriving on Monday) that I can use if the Zemlin gear doesn't arrive in time. They will also provide additional traveling options, that may allow me to fit my 600 TC in other bags that may be better suited for hiking, but less suitable as airline carry-ons (like maybe my NYA-EVO 60-C, or the 50-C when it arrives).

Regarding which size of GG Kiboko bag one should get for fitting a 600 f4; I was concerned enough about the loss of depth that you get with the laptop model, that I decided to order both models and do some sizing tests with my gear. Then I plan to keep the one I prefer and return the other one. Guess which one I am sending back..., Yep, the 30L+ (laptop model).

I test fitted both bags with my Z 600 TC with the OEM hood and lens cover. So this is the worst case scenario, as I could go with slimmer options. (once I have received the alternate hoods and lens covers). I was able to fit the lens and hood combo in both bags and zip the top flap closed, but it was definitely a struggle with the 30L+ and I could feel some bulging in the back panel when I put on the backpack.

I didn't even try to fit my 16" laptop in the 30L+ with my 600 TC lens inside, because the bag was already bulging too much without it. But I did confirm that a 16" laptop does fit inside the dimensions of the laptop pocket (if the bag is not overly packed).

I'll include a few iPhone shots I took during my fitting tests. When the color is visible, the gray bag is the 30L+ and the Sahara bag is the 30L.

Measurement of the depth from the floor of the insert to the hinge of the flap (30L) :
View attachment 88294

Measurement of the depth (30L+) :
View attachment 88295

Folding the top flap over loosely (30L) :
View attachment 88298

Folding the top flap over loosely(30L+) :
View attachment 88303

Measurement of the gap opening before zipping shut (30L) :
View attachment 88302

Measurement of the gap opening before zipping shut (30L+) :
View attachment 88304

I didn't take any pictures (yet) with the bags zipped shut, as I wasn't sure if the differences would be noticeable (also I was just documenting the test results for my own use in determining which bag to keep).

In the end, having the greater interior volume that's available with the 30L was quite noticeable and I value that aspect much more than being able to carry a laptop in my camera bag The fact that the 30L is slightly cheaper is also a bonus. (y)
Quick question: did you weigh the bags? The 30L is listed on sight as 4 lbs.

I'm surprised you are surprised :). I absolutely want the photos backed up, though since I'm not doing this for money, it's not a big deal if something happened to them.

But mostly, I don't find taking a small (13") laptop painful at all. Mine fits nicely into the Mindshift 18l which is holding most of my camera gear (last trip I put D500 + 500 pf + 1.4 + 16-80 lens in it) and fits underneath the seat in front of me. My older laptop is slow and has a low res screen, so I can't do serious post-processing on it (LR denoise is a "grab something to eat and come back event") but I can do a little, enough to see in general what I'm getting and look at any pics I'm especially interested in.

Plus if I need to sort out something that needs a computer, I like using a laptop versus the ipad or phone. Actually, I have the ipad in the Mindshift as well (I will say the pack is now heavy). I do stick some of the laptop accessories like the charger and card reader in the luggage.

Anyway, taking the laptop is easy, so I do it. I plan on upgrading to a newer laptop maybe this year and I will be able to do more LR work if there is time.

Quick question: did you weigh the bags? The 30L is listed on sight as 4 lbs.
Ok, I got my luggage scale to work, and I weighed both bags in their "as shipped" configuration. Meaning they still had tags on, rain cover, ICU/dividers installed and 10 extra dividers that they provide. The 30L weighed in at 5.55 lbs and the 30L+ came in at 5.69 lbs.

The weights they list on their website must be for a completely empty bag (without any ICUs or dividers, and possibly not accounting for the removable waist belt(?)).

Last edited:
I have both. If you plan on doing a lot of hiking, the MindShift will be more comfortable. The tradeoff is ease of access. The GG makes it much easier to load and access gear (especially multiple large lenses) than the MindShift.

I guess the words "lug" and "hassle" kind of poison the well here. Taking a small (13-14") laptop along is hardly a hardship; it will fit into the laptop pocket on a camera bag or even small backpack without offending in any way. Meanwhile, there are regular, long threads in this forum in which people fret (another poisonous word, I know) about how to back up their photos on trips without a laptop.

Back