Winter Wildlife

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

DRwyoming

Staff member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
Well, snow's been falling and sticking around for the past week or so and it's below freezing most mornings so I guess winter is here regardless of what the calendar says. How about a thread on what folks are capturing for out in the snow or whatever winter looks like in your part of the world.

I'll kick it off with some Bighorn Sheep I came across this morning in some snow squalls. They were up roadside in the National Elk Refuge where they tend to spend the winter though this is a bit earlier than I usually see them. They don't seem to be rutting in earnest yet but there was definitely some pushing and shoving going on.

Nikon D5, 600mm f/4 @f/4.5, 1/1600", ISO 560
D51_4435-Edit.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

D5, 600mm, f/7.1, 1/1250", ISO 1800
D51_3154-Edit.jpg

D5, 600mm, f/9, 1/1250", ISO 160
D51_4055.jpg

So what sort of winter wildlife are other folks capturing, post 'em here...

Awesome images, David. I'm envious, I haven't even seen a live bighorn sheep after 20 years in Canada.
I'm not envious of your snow, though. We certainly get our share of the white stuff as well. :)

Awesome images, David.
Thanks Rassie!

I'm envious, I haven't even seen a live bighorn sheep after 20 years in Canada.
You need to plan a trip out the BC. Find a way to get to Radium Hot Springs. Every time I've been there the sheep are walking all around town, near the springs and around the camp ground. The Kootenays, Selkirks and Bugaboos are good sheep territory as well.

Gosh David, you are so lucky to have these creatures in your backyard and to be able to get out to photograph them --- they look really happy in their winter coats. Well captured.

Gosh David, you are so lucky to have these creatures in your backyard and to be able to get out to photograph them --- they look really happy in their winter coats. Well captured.
Thanks David. Yeah, very lucky indeed to call this place home and pretty lucky on the light yesterday as well. Hoped to get back out this morning but a bunch of last minute meetings nixed that plan and the sun's pretty hot today. I might head out there later this afternoon or over the weekend.

Great capture, Sir. Looking forward to returning to BC if we ever get back to some sort of normal.
Beautiful series Dave. The first is my favourite
Very great series DR! I plan a trip next september in western Canada; the village of Radium Hot springs will be certainly on my way!
Absolutely outstanding!l. Big Horn are also on my list of favorites. They are just stunning creatures. Beautifully captured. Thank you for sharing those. I love ‘em! Bill
Thanks folks!

Back