Would you replace your Z9 with Z8?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

dasm

I've been using the Z9 since June 2022 and have been happy with it over all. But I have always been uncomfortable with its size and weight. It has been struggle for me shooting birds handheld with the Z9 and F 200-500mm and even with Z 100-400mm. Based on all the specs, it sounds like the Z8 is the "Z9 Light." As a result, I am seriously contemplating replacing the Z9 with the Z8 and accordingly added my name to the waiting list with one of the local camera stores. What do you think? Are you also thinking of replacing the Z9 with the Z8? Love to hear your opinion. Thanks.

If you have been using it almost a year and it's still a big concern, seems totally reasonable to change.

I'm happy with my z9, but i have ordered a z8 to replace my z6ii.
Thanks. That is my second choice. I am just waiting to see how much trade-in value there will be for Z9 and Z6ii. At the same time, I'm thinking, if the weight is so much concern for me why should I keep Z9. I've a feeling once I get the Z8, I'll end up using it most of the time. Hence, I might as well trade in the Z9 now when it is less than a year old.

I've been using the Z9 since June 2022 and have been happy with it over all. But I have always been uncomfortable with its size and weight. It has been struggle for me shooting birds handheld with the Z9 and F 200-500mm and even with Z 100-400mm. Based on all the specs, it sounds like the Z8 is the "Z9 Light." As a result, I am seriously contemplating replacing the Z9 with the Z8 and accordingly added my name to the waiting list with one of the local camera stores. What do you think? Are you also thinking of replacing the Z9 with the Z8? Love to hear your opinion. Thanks.
I do find the Z9 to be a bit large and heavy, but I love so many of the features I will not give it up. I have, however, pre-ordered the Z8 to replace my old, well used D850. Since getting the Z9, I've rarely touched it. Time to let it go. I ordered the Z8 with what I assume to be a "kit lens" offered by B&H Photo, the Z 24-120. I figure it will work out well for landscape and closer shots than my Z 100-400 and my F 500 PF with the converter.

Thinking about it, especially as a backup camera. I need to test the Z 8 first. Either as backup for the Z9 or a replacement for the Z 7 ii. Also could use the Z 8 w/ small lends (70-200, 400 F/4.5, macro, .. as Steve points out)

I'm in a similar predicament. To be honest, I really never thought Nikon would load the Z8 and make it a "mini-me" Z9 to the extent they did. I love most things about my Z9 -- the superb video capability, large battery etc. .... everything but the size and weight when I have to store or carry it! I'm selfishly hoping Nikon will widen the performance gap between the cameras with more firmware updates to the Z9 but that might be wishful thinking...regardless of what I think of Nikon's technology, their mission is to separate their customers from their money...willingly and happily if they do it right. ;)

Anyhoo, my rigged out Z9 was simply too big and heavy for comfortable hiking duty so I added a Panasonic GH6 and 100-400 for lightweight video work but I've not been entirely happy with it so am considering replacing it with a Z8 + and 100-400 which provides me with a very good 4k120p 2.3x DX Nraw Nlog (920mm equivalent) with state-of-the-art stabilzation in a 5 lb package, which is very enticing. But if I go that route, if I don't have a need for a second body, I'm having difficulty mentally justifying keeping the Z9. Anyway, I haven't ordered a Z8 and have no plans to do anything quickly...the answers to these first world problems tend to work themselves out in time. :)

I don't know about others, but sell the Z9 and buy 2 Z8 makes more sense.

Oliver

The Z8 is 14 ounces lighter but to really save weight one needs to have lighter lenses as is the case with a MFT system. The Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8 weighs 2.99 lbs whereas the Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8 (view angle of FX 80-300mm lens) weighs only 1.67 lb or about half as much. The 3.25 lb Olympus 300mm f/4 provides a view angle comparable to a Z 600mm f/4 lens that weighs 7.2 lbs - again twice as much. Saving 4 lbs of lens weight makes more sense than saving 14 ounces with a camera body.

When the D3 arrived I loved the full size body and it was easier to hold for hours on end with my hands. The D750 was smaller and lighter but the smaller body was much less comfortable for me to hold. On my D850 cameras I always had a MB-D18 battery grip attached to them when shooting wildlife.

Nope. I love having the one huge battery with my z9, and not having to worry about battery life nearly as much.

I also enjoy the grip, the extra function button, and the balance with longer/heavier lenses.

No!!!!!!!!! I shot and owned a D500 and D850 with smaller battery (D500),and different memory cards (that alone is a deal breaker). On one the reviews they already received a message that the memory card has over heated. If I purchase a Z8, it would be my backup camera.

For my needs, the Z8 is a better fit than the Z9. Already having a Z9, I’m contemplating replacing it with a Z8 or keeping it as a secondary body to the Z8. It will probably come down to what trade value is on the Z9 for me. Either way, I ordered a Z8 and it will become my primary camera. The only feature I see myself missing is the integrated gps. It’s way more than than using an app through the phone.

Given the reasons you mentioned, I think it makes sense for you to trade the Z9 for the Z8 as long as you don’t mind the few differences.

I'm definitely keeping the Z9. I'm a tiny person with tiny hands and big joint problems, but I've really come to love the bigger form factor. I find that with the larger body, I can actually get a better and more comfortable grip on it, even if it is heavier to haul around.

I'm strongly considering the Z8 as a backup to the Z9, though. And if the Z8 had been available at the same time as the Z9 when I was upgrading, I probably would have bought the Z8 instead just to save a little money.

I went to an event in my local camera store. They had the z8 with several different z lenses. I tried the 100-400(which I have) and was very surprised how much lighter the pair seemed. The z9 felt better in my big hands. The z8 would take some getting accustomed to with the different sizes of the bodies. It felt like the Z9 was more balanced with the 100-400 but that was just my take.

I went to an event in my local camera store. They had the z8 with several different z lenses. I tried the 100-400(which I have) and was very surprised how much lighter the pair seemed. The z9 felt better in my big hands. The z8 would take some getting accustomed to with the different sizes of the bodies. It felt like the Z9 was more balanced with the 100-400 but that was just my take.
Thanks for your response. It is the hand that is my problem. I have smaller hands and Z9 feels somewhat uncomfortable. I could hardly use the 3rd front function button. I am still loving it and hence the dilemma.

No, I am keeping my Z9. I MAY consider a Z8 as a replacement for my D850, but I will wait until there is really good info on how capable the single battery is in the Z8. When I use my Z9 on a shoot, the battery capacity takes a pretty big hit.

Maybe you should consider to get a 500Pf or a 400 4.5 lens. You would save more weight there.
I was thinking for a minute about swapping to a Z8
-No.
It's just the battery life that I'm concerned of.

Keeping the 9 for now, but assuming I will like the 8 better based on it being smaller and lighter. 9 will be backup or maybe I'll sell it and the other two dSRLs (500, 850) to get a second 8. Just need to get it in my hand to decide.

Definitely keeping the Z9. It'll be interesting for me to see which camera I will default to once I have the Z8 as well. However, I have always loved the form factor of the built-in grip ever since I had an F4. I have had attachable grips with other cameras including the D850, but it isn't quite the same.

Definitely giving is some thought. With DSLR I had considered going to a pair of D850s and getting rid of everything else. But to get higher fps the 850 needed a grip and the larger battery anyway so might as well just have a gripped camera. That's not the case with the Z8. But I'll wait till I have it in hand to make a decision. I do hate having two different batteries to deal with when traveling etc. Not quite as much of a problem now that they can be charged in camera and no need to haul two different chargers around. The idea of having two identical cameras for once is pretty appealing. We'll see...

I can understand the majority of Z9 owners will not let it go in order to move to the Z8. To begin with, there is the inevitable attachment that comes with the investment of a €6000,- purchase.

But had the Z8 been released simultaneously with the Z9, it would have been very interesting to see how many would have gone for the Z8 and how many for the Z9.
The Z9 weight and size was the major reason for me to move from D500+500PF to the Sony A1.

Back