Would you replace your Z9 with Z8?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Thinking a little more about this I'm starting to lean towards shooting both the Z8 and Z9. I LOVE shooting my Z9 on a beefy video tripod and fluid head considering that it's built up with a cage, mic or wireless audio receiver and RDS. It's a big heavy brute but super comfy to hold and use and it's so nice not to worry about the battery running down. But I'm also liking the idea of a bare-bones Z8 for use with my 100-400 or maybe the a 400/4.5 or possibly even the 800PF for a portable walk-around setup. The more I think about it the pair would compliment each other nicely.

I've been using the Z9 since June 2022 and have been happy with it over all. But I have always been uncomfortable with its size and weight. It has been struggle for me shooting birds handheld with the Z9 and F 200-500mm and even with Z 100-400mm. Based on all the specs, it sounds like the Z8 is the "Z9 Light." As a result, I am seriously contemplating replacing the Z9 with the Z8 and accordingly added my name to the waiting list with one of the local camera stores. What do you think? Are you also thinking of replacing the Z9 with the Z8? Love to hear your opinion. Thanks.
I love my Z9 for many reasons but one of them is the balance it gives me with my 600mm lens.
I do see your point though regarding the weight which is something I did consider, but I just want to keep enjoying the Z9 while I can.

As someone who has a Nikon D850 given the choice I still think I will purchase a good used Z9 instead of a new Z8, for me it's still the right camera to purchase. Although I enjoy my D850 coming from a D4s I do miss having a larger camera although the Z8 looks amazing.

I've been using the Z9 since June 2022 and have been happy with it over all. But I have always been uncomfortable with its size and weight. It has been struggle for me shooting birds handheld with the Z9 and F 200-500mm and even with Z 100-400mm. Based on all the specs, it sounds like the Z8 is the "Z9 Light." As a result, I am seriously contemplating replacing the Z9 with the Z8 and accordingly added my name to the waiting list with one of the local camera stores. What do you think? Are you also thinking of replacing the Z9 with the Z8? Love to hear your opinion. Thanks.
Myself i have a Z9, i don't need two cameras so similar.

I think for myself a used Z 7II in mint condition at a bargain price would compliment the kit better as the Z7II would be excellent for landscape, travel, hiking, walk around use.

My wish list was for a at least 12 fps 60 + mp light small Z7 II like unit, another Z9 lighter smaller is a good option for getting people into mirror less.

I mean every new camera body sold generates around 5 lenses in sales.

I think Nikon has done a good thing especially with the price of the Z8, its a lot of camera for the money, it basically makes somewhat everything other than the Z9 really a little obsolete in a way, in fact i feel the Z 8 will effect the resale of the Z9 more than i thought.

However isn't it really clear how the release promo was mostly all about creative videography.

I think Nikon have listened and worked towards things in the right direction.

I just hope they get on top of the issues some people are having with freezing - lock ups etc experienced in some Z9 units, i hope the issues potentially don't become genetic as i feel things are not 100% fixed yet, time will tell, but bravo Nikon for the Z8.

Now give us a 80mp smaller camera LOL.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
Replace my Z9 with a Z8....No way!!! The Z8 is not the same in performance despite the same hardware. Matt Granger said " SPOILER ALERT... the Z8 is NOT as fast as the Z9... The buffer isn't as good and SD cards are not fast enough for a high resolution + high speed camera 🤦‍♂️
Check out his video supporting his conclusion.

Thank you so much everybody for your comments/advice/feelings. I'll be going to a Nikon Mini Trade Show this afternoon at one of our local camera stores and will get to see and hold the Z8. I never saw the Z9 before I purchased it. I hope this will help me in making my decision.

For me…it’s not a replace but an add. For shoots from a car or short hikes…having 2 bodies is a plus and also in dusty environments so no lens changes. When I got the Z9 I used my Z7II as the second body and the spare body for traveling outings…but it works so differently and is so much less capable for action tha5 I stopped carrying it…the Z8 will allow me to carry both or either one depending on the situation at hand. Still might keep the Z7II for a light walkabout kit…I could sell it but a quick check at B&H showed only $1300ish for like new condition which mine isn’t…and while 1300 bucks is 130p bucks…it’s not that much in the great financial scheme of things so it might get kept. OTOH…I don’t really need a 3rd body and my 70-200 probably has less than 500 frames on it but it was the only Z tele available when I bought it…so selling both of them would recoup over half the cost of the Z8. I might see if my son wants it…but he’s a millennial and only does Instagram and the like so he’s not interested in anything other than the iPhone.

I do find the Z9 to be a bit large and heavy, but I love so many of the features I will not give it up. I have, however, pre-ordered the Z8 to replace my old, well used D850. Since getting the Z9, I've rarely touched it. Time to let it go. I ordered the Z8 with what I assume to be a "kit lens" offered by B&H Photo, the Z 24-120. I figure it will work out well for landscape and closer shots than my Z 100-400 and my F 500 PF with the converter.
That’s the lens that is generally offered as the kit lens or perhaps the 24-70/4…but both of those are much better than your normal kit lens. I ordered mine with the 24-120 as well…and the 24-70 may join the seldom used 70-200 and Z7II as sales.

Replace my Z9 with a Z8....No way!!! The Z8 is not the same in performance despite the same hardware. Matt Granger said " SPOILER ALERT... the Z8 is NOT as fast as the Z9... The buffer isn't as good and SD cards are not fast enough for a high resolution + high speed camera 🤦‍♂️
I watched that video…and it is a disservice as he compared them on writing backup to both cards…which any idiot will already know there’s a hit there because of the SD…he’s comparing a Ferrari to a VW. While what he said is technically correct…how many of the Z9 using crowd actually writes to both cards? Most of the market for it is not wedding or sports or event pro shooters…it is advanced amateurs that want eye AF and FoS for action/wildlife…and most of those users aren’t using backup but slot 2 is set to overflow. CFXB cards are pretty reliable…and on any sort of shoot I’m backing up images every evening anyway…and in addition how often to most Z9 shooters actually use 20FPS and need to do 10 second bursts. Yeah…we occasionally do that…but 12 or 15 and 1-2 second bursts seem much more like the norm. I want a backup/spare/second body that works the same…and will carry either or both depending on the situation. On something like a bucket list African Safari…I might use backup instead of overflow…but would have both bodies on that trip in the vehicle anyway And use whatever was appropriate for the situation this minute or that has the right lens on it.

He’s not wrong…just ignored facts that weren’t relevant to his particular needs and blamed the Z8 for being too slow.

I can understand the majority of Z9 owners will not let it go in order to move to the Z8. To begin with, there is the inevitable attachment that comes with the investment of a €6000,- purchase.

But had the Z8 been released simultaneously with the Z9, it would have been very interesting to see how many would have gone for the Z8 and how many for the Z9.
The Z9 weight and size was the major reason for me to move from D500+500PF to the Sony A1.
I’ll raise my hand there…couldn’t care less about the grip and would have 100% gone for the lighter Z8…because for my non dual card write usage…the SD doesn’t matter.

I hummed and hawed about buying a second Z9 and decided to wait to see what the Z8 was about. Now, I’ve ordered a Z8. An important aspect of it for me will be the low-light focusing (I hope).

But, I’m not selling the Z9 for two (and a half) reasons important for me:

First is that I seemed to have picked up a demand for portraits, lately. I think it must be the wave of layoffs here in the SF Bay Area and people want more environmental shots, than standard head shots, for their resume. Also, solo musicians want full-length shots of themselves on stage and the vertical grip on the Z9 make this easier.

Second, I value the GPS in the Z9 for synching the clock. Some clients want the file names to reflect date and time and this has become my habit. I often shoot three bodies and they all need to synch. I can synch one of the others with SnapBridge but it won’t do two at the same time, so I need to remember to update the clock on the third body which doesn’t always happen and that really messes with my workflow. It is disappointing, but understandable, that the Z8 does not have GPS.

Second and a half: The battery life of the Z9 is great. I have never needed to change it during a day of shooting (comes close, though). My other bodies (Z6ii, Z7ii) will not last a day without a battery change for at least one of them. The Z8 will have slightly worse battery life I gather from reading the specs.

If the prices dip enough, I still might buy a second Z9. It really is most suitable for my purposes.

I'll likely be selling mine after the Z8 arrives (depending how well it balances with 400 4.5/800 6.3). I don't want to keep 2 stacked sensor bodies, I'm good with Z6 as a backup in a pinch.

I don't use a GPS, I can count how many times I used vertical grip and shedding the weight will be welcome on long walks/hikes. I don't shoot video. I run and gun - almost no tripod use (definitely not for wildlife). I'm happy with the Z8 size (Z7 size would need a smallrig bottom plate to feel comfy). I don't mind putting an extra battery in my pocket.

Seems that Z8 fits the bill.

I’m still waffling. I also have tiny hands so the Fn3 button isn’t being used. I’ve forgotten what I even programmed it for.

But, I was surprised that even though it’s bigger, it was still a little more comfortable to hold than the Z8. I’ll think I’ll wait and see what happens when I can have them side by side for a longer period of time.

Regardless, I’m selling my D850 and my last regular F mount lens. I do want to fully migrate to a mirrorless setup.

At this stage I will not be selling my Z9 for a Z8 but I also have Z7II which is my lightweight body for travel. However, if I need a lightweighter body for travel which has the AF abilities of the Z9, like tracking birds etc, I may consider getting a Z8 as an adjunct to my Z9 in the future but I don't need a Z8 at the moment.

Battery life and balance with long lenses are great with the Z9.

If you use example a Pro Grade Cobalt card at 20 fps RAW in a Z8 and leave the SD card slot empty, the equation changes, its not reflected in MG video and should have been, unless i missed it.

The Z8 combination of CF and SD slot will be vilified or hammered by populists looking for ranking, in my mind this combo broadens appeal to a wider market, practically and on cost wise, it makes the Z8 more versatile. I mean i paid a lot for my Cobalt cards.

$3999 USD for a Z8, add a optional genuine Grip add defiantly some more needed batteries $$$$$$, but hey that's good still as its smaller lighter, about the only thing going for it other than price.

The difference in batteries and power supply is interesting. Weight saving is a real benefit, up selling a grip is another hidden added margin, i mean your
Pro's doing sports action wont worry so much as they will use the Z9 and want one system, they also use mono pods etc, serious enthusiasts will gladly grab a Z8 for size and weight benefits which is really appealing, above all the price.

Here in OZ the Z8 is RRP $6999 AUD which is around $4800 USD.

As to the D6 Z9 Z8 comparison, sorry i have to disagree with MG, in his testing scenario it may have been the case, but in my experience if the light is low needing serious high iso in challenging conditions, and especially if contrast is very low, the D6 just sticks better than any mirror less, regardless of brand.

I don't feel any brand Mirror less is 100% there yet, close but not there yet, maybe in the next generation. I yet have to experience anything different and reserve the right to change my mind when i see it.

I mean the industry is so focused of testing buffer and long spray shooting........really i mean who shoots so many frames to warrant caring even, sorry i am not a wild spray and shoot, i use 10-12 fps occasionally 20fps.

I also shoot 98% of everything in JPEG Fine. But that's what meets all my needs perfectly, No i am not a Ken Rockwell MINI ME. I like the guy, he is amazingly clever extremely knowledgeable above all conservatively street smart and simple with his explanations and results. For others controversial.

Will i buy a Z8 over a Z9 if i dint have a camera yes, swapping out my Z9 i doubt it, however the need for smaller lighter is something i look for going forward, time is the best option, i mean the Z9 does it all. Also i feel the issues are not fully resolved yet with lock ups or freezing, its no good having a plain if the engines switch off now is it, regardless of how infrequent.

Only an opinion

At this stage I will not be selling my Z9 for a Z8 but I also have Z7II which is my lightweight body for travel. However, if I need a lightweighter body for travel which has the AF abilities of the Z9, like tracking birds etc, I may consider getting a Z8 as an adjunct to my Z9 in the future but I don't need a Z8 at the moment.

Battery life and balance with long lenses are great with the Z9.
Agree, i will probably pick up a cheap used Z7II LOL as my walk around landscape travel camera. I hear there is a lot of Z6 Z7 and D850 units coming on the used market LOL

Only an opinion

Second, I value the GPS in the Z9 for synching the clock. Some clients want the file names to reflect date and time and this has become my habit. I often shoot three bodies and they all need to synch. I can synch one of the others with SnapBridge but it won’t do two at the same time, so I need to remember to update the clock on the third body which doesn’t always happen and that really messes with my workflow. It is disappointing, but understandable, that the Z8 does not have GPS.
I’ve been using the GPS for clock sync and I like the location data added to the photo, but ran into an issue where I’m at right now. The satellites seem to have the wrong date and putting me in the year 2042. I reset manually and it changed back again when it got the updated date/time from the satellites.

I’ve been using the GPS for clock sync and I like the location data added to the photo, but ran into an issue where I’m at right now. The satellites seem to have the wrong date and putting me in the year 2042. I reset manually and it changed back again when it got the updated date/time from the satellites.
I think this was an issue from an original batch of z9s when they were connected during some changeover in the GPS system (though I'm struggling to remember more details). If you're on newer firmware, I don't think this issue should be occurring still unless it happened and never got fixed in the first place.

I think this was an issue from an original batch of z9s when they were connected during some changeover in the GPS system (though I'm struggling to remember more details). If you're on newer firmware, I don't think this issue should be occurring still unless it happened and never got fixed in the first place.
I’m on the latest firmware. I figured it was just something off on the satellite it was getting the info from. Will need to look into this more if it is a somewhat known issue.

I have heard that this happens. Not to me so far. Maybe it's good that I use SnapBridge.

Back