Would you replace your Z9 with Z8?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

This GPS error came up last year, but reported only in certain Z9's

I have heard that this happens. Not to me so far. Maybe it's good that I use SnapBridge.
I’ve been using the GPS for clock sync and I like the location data added to the photo, but ran into an issue where I’m at right now. The satellites seem to have the wrong date and putting me in the year 2042. I reset manually and it changed back again when it got the updated date/time from the satellites.

This GPS error came up last year, but reported only in certain Z9's
Thanks for sharing this. Read through it and it sounds like it requires me to send the camera in and they will update the specific firmware causing the issue.

I’m still waffling. I also have tiny hands so the Fn3 button isn’t being used. I’ve forgotten what I even programmed it for.

But, I was surprised that even though it’s bigger, it was still a little more comfortable to hold than the Z8. I’ll think I’ll wait and see what happens when I can have them side by side for a longer period of time.

Regardless, I’m selling my D850 and my last regular F mount lens. I do want to fully migrate to a mirrorless setup.
I don’t use Fn3 on the Z9 much either…set it to spot but it’s so hard to reach that I put something there I don’t use much.

I'm a big guy, with big hands. Been using the pro body's since the D2X.
They just fit my hands better, balance nicely with long glass, and the big battery is a plus for me.
I will not give up my Z9, but might buy the wife a Z8, after there's an 800mm Z here

I've been using the Z9 since June 2022 and have been happy with it over all. But I have always been uncomfortable with its size and weight. It has been struggle for me shooting birds handheld with the Z9 and F 200-500mm and even with Z 100-400mm. Based on all the specs, it sounds like the Z8 is the "Z9 Light." As a result, I am seriously contemplating replacing the Z9 with the Z8 and accordingly added my name to the waiting list with one of the local camera stores. What do you think? Are you also thinking of replacing the Z9 with the Z8? Love to hear your opinion. Thanks.
I am seriously considering selling one of my Z9s (needed a backup for an international trip and just did not like the feel of the Z7ii nor the different control positions so I bought a 2nd Z9) and buying the Z8 for a backup and for a walk around camera. Seems like a great combo. Just hate taking the loss on Z9 that is less than a year old and has not gotten much use. :)

I am seriously considering selling one of my Z9s (needed a backup for an international trip and just did not like the feel of the Z7ii nor the different control positions so I bought a 2nd Z9) and buying the Z8 for a backup and for a walk around camera. Seems like a great combo. Just hate taking the loss on Z9 that is less than a year old and has not gotten much use. :)
If I were in your shoes, I will keep my both Z9. The only reason,I am getting the z8 is because I only have one Z9 and I want a ca era backup. The Z9, is amazing. I love thé way it feels in my hand. I love camera that are not small, I found them they balance better with big lenses. It is only my opinion.

Back