Wow! Did not see this coming. A1 vs R3 vs Z9 from DPReview

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Nope I think they gave Z9 #1 because the images were actually in focus when viewed on a computer rather than just 'looking nice' on the EVF but soft when viewed on a computer. LoL. I'd any day prefer a relatively slower updating AF box on the EVF display but crisp images on the computer vs the opposite ;-)

‘Like many other factors discussed here, that one is also a question of preference. Do you want the Z9 100% in focus shots, knowing that sometimes it will be the foliage of a busy background or something else that has nothing to do with the bird being tracked, or are you ok with one or two frames a smidge soft in a series but focus never left the eye of the target and it snapped right back on for the following dozen?
I guess the z9 does make culling easier because when it misses, it misses by a lot and there is something to be said for time saving features.

‘’One thing is for sure, the Z9 does much better than the tracking box in the evf suggests. That box is quite laggy versus what the camera is actually doing.

Reactions: Hut
Overall it’s a fun video amongst friends and it contains a lot of relevant info but at times I also find it not as factual and to me it has a few glaring gaps. Now that I’ve held all three I can share some initial impressions (but take that with tons of salt, I had the R3 for an hour and the Z9 for a morning so nowhere near enough to have more than first impressions).
‘And for context, I shoot nikon, Sony, Fuji and I used to shoot canon for my first 20+ years in photography. Today, if I have any bias it is to get back to just Nikon because that’s where I have the most glass.

First ergonomics should not be a rating factor, it’s too personal and there are rarely right or wrong solutions. With that caveat in mind the Z9 is my least favorite. it misses a wheel on the back panel that I use for iso control, it misses a second bbf and overall everything goes through double button presses that I don’t find very comfortable. Because the z9 has far less customization than the others, I can’t set it the way I like to shoot.
‘The A1 and R3 are a tie for me. The R3 feels absolutely right and lighter than the other 2 (I shoot a1 with grip and 2 batteries) with enough customization to meet my needs. It has a back wheel and 2 bbf options. Unfortunately canon insists on putting the front wheel behind the shutter which is awkward, and that eye-piloted AF doesn’t work for me (remember, only 1 hr so maybe it would work with multiple calibratiions).
‘The A1 customization is almost overwhelming but you can form the camera to you instead of your forming yourself to the camera like with the z9. I just wish that back wheel for iso could be reached when shooting vertical with grip. It’s just too small.

‘’’EVF : my least favorite is again the Z9 but that said, the Z9 is very good. I like that the EVF experience never changes, it is smooth, jitter free but you can see that you are looking at the world through a lower resolution panel. The A1 is amazing one second but it can drop frame rate or resolution based on the situation so it gives a less consistent experience and it can have the jitters on occasion. The best evf experience is actually at 240hz where it drops resolution and magnification but is very consistent and fluid - I just don’t like to lose the bright high magnification evf and it chews through batteries much faster.
‘The R3 evf for me is the best, resolution is in between Nikon and Sony, it’s stable, never jitters, it’s bright and contrasty - it’s just the best evf I have looked through so far. And the HDR “ovf“ mode is something else again - but it’s useless because you can’t display any info on it. What’s the point of an evf if you can display info? But even in its normal mode, the canon R3 evf wins for me.

On video Jordan nailed it, the A1 is the weakest and I’ll add another nail to it. Handheld video with the A1 is hardly useable when the other 2 have much better stabilization - it’s not even close. Sony is lagging on ibis and ibis + in lens stabilization integration and it shows painfully in hand held videos. The Z9 footage for me is simply the best I have seen in 4K and 8k. Better than the R5 even, just superb tonal gradation.

Now some of the gaps in the video.

Zebras for stills - the one killer Sony feature that you can’t get in canon or Nikon. Sony even let’s you set the zebra above 100% to account for raw exposure flexibility and match the sensor true blown-out limit. You cannot blow out the white plumage of a bird in front of green foliage anymore - it is foolproof and I don’t know why the other 2 don’t have that option. Losing that feature would be a huge step back for how I shoot.

Mechanical shutter - they mention it in passing but the shutter of the A1 is a masterpiece and if you shoot in mixed artificial lighting, this is the A1’s single most critical advantage. Flash synch at 1/400s is not something you can get from any other camera and if you need that feature, you’ll put up with all the other foibles of the A1.

AF performance I think is more nuanced than they made it look. Time will tell, and things may change as I suspect all 3 will provide at least one new generation firmware with major AF gains (I could be wrong). Right now, those 3 bodies are so much better than anything else that you can pick any and be happy. I really didn’t have enough time with Z9 and R3 to form an educated opinion so I’ll leave it at that.

i wish they had covered some of the other features in that video though - A1 has pixel shift but no focus stacking, Z9 is the opposite and canon I don’t know… maybe not a big deal but if you are into macro and micro photography, focus stacking can be a big deal and even for landscape, I’d much prefer to have stacking than those huge unruly files from pixel shift….

In the end, i really loved the feel and experience of the R3 but resolution is too low, and no zebras is a killer - but otherwise it is truly under appreciated.

‘I confirmed the Z9 won’t work well for me - I just don’t like the ergonomics, multiple button presses, no back wheel and no zebras - their ergonomics are goinginto a direction that fits me less and less. And no zebras makes it even less desirable. It’s a bummer because I have all that glass I don’t want to sell And seeing how amazing the 500pf performs on the Z9 really makes me envious.

‘So for now, A1 it remains; its few weaknesses being less of an issue to me and how I shoot but the one thing the video got absolutely right is that they are all pretty amazing cameras. Pretty lucky times indeed.

Nope I think they gave Z9 #1 because the images were actually in focus when viewed on a computer rather than just 'looking nice' on the EVF but soft when viewed on a computer. LoL. I'd any day prefer a relatively slower updating AF box on the EVF display but crisp images on the computer vs the opposite ;-)

The z9 was only tied for number 1.

Overall it’s a fun video amongst friends and it contains a lot of relevant info but at times I also find it not as factual and to me it has a few glaring gaps. Now that I’ve held all three I can share some initial impressions (but take that with tons of salt, I had the R3 for an hour and the Z9 for a morning so nowhere near enough to have more than first impressions).
‘And for context, I shoot nikon, Sony, Fuji and I used to shoot canon for my first 20+ years in photography. Today, if I have any bias it is to get back to just Nikon because that’s where I have the most glass.

First ergonomics should not be a rating factor, it’s too personal and there are rarely right or wrong solutions. With that caveat in mind the Z9 is my least favorite. it misses a wheel on the back panel that I use for iso control, it misses a second bbf and overall everything goes through double button presses that I don’t find very comfortable. Because the z9 has far less customization than the others, I can’t set it the way I like to shoot.
‘The A1 and R3 are a tie for me. The R3 feels absolutely right and lighter than the other 2 (I shoot a1 with grip and 2 batteries) with enough customization to meet my needs. It has a back wheel and 2 bbf options. Unfortunately canon insists on putting the front wheel behind the shutter which is awkward, and that eye-piloted AF doesn’t work for me (remember, only 1 hr so maybe it would work with multiple calibratiions).
‘The A1 customization is almost overwhelming but you can form the camera to you instead of your forming yourself to the camera like with the z9. I just wish that back wheel for iso could be reached when shooting vertical with grip. It’s just too small.

‘’’EVF : my least favorite is again the Z9 but that said, the Z9 is very good. I like that the EVF experience never changes, it is smooth, jitter free but you can see that you are looking at the world through a lower resolution panel. The A1 is amazing one second but it can drop frame rate or resolution based on the situation so it gives a less consistent experience and it can have the jitters on occasion. The best evf experience is actually at 240hz where it drops resolution and magnification but is very consistent and fluid - I just don’t like to lose the bright high magnification evf and it chews through batteries much faster.
‘The R3 evf for me is the best, resolution is in between Nikon and Sony, it’s stable, never jitters, it’s bright and contrasty - it’s just the best evf I have looked through so far. And the HDR “ovf“ mode is something else again - but it’s useless because you can’t display any info on it. What’s the point of an evf if you can display info? But even in its normal mode, the canon R3 evf wins for me.

On video Jordan nailed it, the A1 is the weakest and I’ll add another nail to it. Handheld video with the A1 is hardly useable when the other 2 have much better stabilization - it’s not even close. Sony is lagging on ibis and ibis + in lens stabilization integration and it shows painfully in hand held videos. The Z9 footage for me is simply the best I have seen in 4K and 8k. Better than the R5 even, just superb tonal gradation.

Now some of the gaps in the video.

Zebras for stills - the one killer Sony feature that you can’t get in canon or Nikon. Sony even let’s you set the zebra above 100% to account for raw exposure flexibility and match the sensor true blown-out limit. You cannot blow out the white plumage of a bird in front of green foliage anymore - it is foolproof and I don’t know why the other 2 don’t have that option. Losing that feature would be a huge step back for how I shoot.

Mechanical shutter - they mention it in passing but the shutter of the A1 is a masterpiece and if you shoot in mixed artificial lighting, this is the A1’s single most critical advantage. Flash synch at 1/400s is not something you can get from any other camera and if you need that feature, you’ll put up with all the other foibles of the A1.

AF performance I think is more nuanced than they made it look. Time will tell, and things may change as I suspect all 3 will provide at least one new generation firmware with major AF gains (I could be wrong). Right now, those 3 bodies are so much better than anything else that you can pick any and be happy. I really didn’t have enough time with Z9 and R3 to form an educated opinion so I’ll leave it at that.

i wish they had covered some of the other features in that video though - A1 has pixel shift but no focus stacking, Z9 is the opposite and canon I don’t know… maybe not a big deal but if you are into macro and micro photography, focus stacking can be a big deal and even for landscape, I’d much prefer to have stacking than those huge unruly files from pixel shift….

In the end, i really loved the feel and experience of the R3 but resolution is too low, and no zebras is a killer - but otherwise it is truly under appreciated.

‘I confirmed the Z9 won’t work well for me - I just don’t like the ergonomics, multiple button presses, no back wheel and no zebras - their ergonomics are goinginto a direction that fits me less and less. And no zebras makes it even less desirable. It’s a bummer because I have all that glass I don’t want to sell And seeing how amazing the 500pf performs on the Z9 really makes me envious.

‘So for now, A1 it remains; its few weaknesses being less of an issue to me and how I shoot but the one thing the video got absolutely right is that they are all pretty amazing cameras. Pretty lucky times indeed.

+1 about the zebras, that is a feature I'd love to have with Canon. The closest thing is setting the camera to display a test shot in the evf for only 2 seconds or until shutter press. At least you get a quick peak at the blinkies.

Tickle I am surprised you got so vehement about a fun, tongue in cheek video. It obviously wasn’t meant to be a serious review or comparison of the three cameras.

Basically, we are back at the point where chosing a camera is more based on personal preferences and how much does the approach of a manufacturer works for you, than actual capabilities... And what difference there might be is closer to splitting hairs than miles apart...

At least in the very high end :)

Yes indeed!

But, they are all good, it would be tough to go back to Nikon for me now.

Same here but I had to prove it to myself that the Z9 just wasn't going to fit my shooting habits even though it could deliver equally good results and in some cases even better results (video). Now I have handled it and I can sleep well knowing that no matter how good it is, I like the A1 handling and features better.

That R3 though... dang it, if it wasn't only 24MP I'd be badly tempted (thankfully for my bank account 24MP isn't what I want and I don't like the 100-500 so that saves me from a dumb move ;) )

If you like the R3, why not consider the R5?

Not blackout free, not lag free, no zebras, overheating still poorly managed (better than when launched but still problematic in hot weather), 100-500 is not my cup of tea (but 100-400 + 600 f:4 isn't a bad combo at all)... I tried the R5 when it came out and it convinced me I needed to move to mirrorless because it gave me so much more than my D850 but it also convinced me it wasn't the right body for me to move to mirrorless with. That said, it's a great camera at its price point and for wildlife I would pick it over the Z7ii any day (and I'd pick the Z7ii for landscape any day) and (blasphemy of all blasphemy) I would pick it over the A9ii as well (ouch).

The R3 addresses most of those issues (except zebras and obviously 24MP) and maybe it's my 20+ years of shooting Canon (Eos 50, Eos 3, Eos 1n, 1v, 20D, 1DS, 1Dmk4, 1DX, 1DXmk2) that just makes the R3 feel so "natural" to me. I admire people who can seamlessly switch systems - for me it's always a painful journey so not something I do lightly.

Save your money the R1 is coming ....haha just kidding
You are evil ;) I am actually worried that Canon, because they have such a huge user base who is loyal to a fault, will try another 1D / 1DS approach and the R1 will have huge resolution but low speed and the R3 will have high speed but low resolution... I hope the A1 and Z9 discourage them from that approach but I wouldn't put it past them. They can be stuck in the past at times (and why I left Canon eventually)

Reactions: Hut
Same here but I had to prove it to myself that the Z9 just wasn't going to fit my shooting habits even though it could deliver equally good results and in some cases even better results (video). Now I have handled it and I can sleep well knowing that no matter how good it is, I like the A1 handling and features better.

That R3 though... dang it, if it wasn't only 24MP I'd be badly tempted (thankfully for my bank account 24MP isn't what I want and I don't like the 100-500 so that saves me from a dumb move ;) )
I'm still on the list to get a Z9, although the longer I wait and the more I learn about it, I'm thinking less and less that it's the right camera for me. While it has new AF features that I want, it seems as though its biggest breakthroughs (for Nikon) are in the video capabilities it brings to the fight. I just don't see me using it for video, though. If Nikon were to announce a new camera that is the enthusiast's model of the Z9 (Z9 Light?), and were it to be guaranteed on the market by the end of the year, I'd likely opt out of the Z9 and wait for the Z9 Light. I really need to get my hands on a Z9 to try it out to really see how it fits me.

I'm still on the list to get a Z9, although the longer I wait and the more I learn about it, I'm thinking less and less that it's the right camera for me. While it has new AF features that I want, it seems as though its biggest breakthroughs (for Nikon) are in the video capabilities it brings to the fight. I just don't see me using it for video, though. If Nikon were to announce a new camera that is the enthusiast's model of the Z9 (Z9 Light?), and were it to be guaranteed on the market by the end of the year, I'd likely opt out of the Z9 and wait for the Z9 Light. I really need to get my hands on a Z9 to try it out to really see how it fits me.
Best course of action is to try for yourself, but keep in mind, the Z9 is an outstanding stills camera too - I like the A1 handling and features better but if I didn’t own an A1 I would be buying a Z9.

Thom's latest on Z9:
"...I've been relatively surprised by the number of Nikon pros I talk to and work with that all recently decided to opt for a Z9 to see what all the excitement was about and maybe stop them from thinking about Sony. And it did. Nikon has once again managed to pull off a "just in time" technology change that keeps them in the game.

It may surprise you to learn that I'm not as convinced about the Z9's prowess in focus performance as the general hoopla suggests. Yes, it's darned good, and for someone who didn't take the time to learn the older Nikon focus systems, the Z9 almost like magic improves their focus consistency and hit rate. But after now using the Z9 for over two months and testing it in a wide range of settings, I'm not as convinced that the Z9 is some sort of miracle focusing solution that's always right on its own.

I'll have far more to say about this when I eventually post my review and publish my Complete Guide to the Nikon Z9, but Nikon went a bit too far in on the all-automatic bit. Yes, it works, and is arguably one of the two or three best all-automatic focus capabilities you'll find in a camera (the Canon R3 and Sony A1 would be the others that rise to this level; the Canon R5/R6 and some other Sony models would be in a not-too-distant position behind). However, it's in the footnotes, caveats, and nuances that Nikon needs to work harder. I can't drive the Z9 exactly the way I'd like to, because there's a missing button. The alternative solution to the missing button isn't perfect. Moreover, Nikon still has that slight lag-to-initial focus that Canon certainly doesn't have (Sony is in between).

We pros notice those things. You might not, because you're achieving better results than you used to....."

Agreed, such aspects of his delivery detract from the value of his reviews and ebooks, which are solid. The pro - amateur division has always been blurred and contentious, and in other endeavours besides photography, but it's silly to invoke these categories to try and draw a hard line between competent vs the less so etc, especially with scant/biased supporting data.

I rate many wildlife photographers excellent and highly expert with their gear, mainly Nikon IME. And not all of these individuals make their only living from photographing African wildlife. They know Nikon AF in depth going back some years, and for some back to the F4, F90x, F100 etc. And there are fulltime Pros whose knowledge of their cameras suffices for the job ie their key genre and no further.

The crux is a substantial number of part-timers aka Hobbyists are highly expert at using their cameras - combination of experience and dedication. This seems to apply to Nikon particularly, because of the longevity of the F-mount and since 2018 the FTZ adapter facilitating expansion into Z System. Stopping there on a debate that tends to ruffle feathers :)

It is however strange there is no mention of lenses, which are by far the major expense, the telephotos especially.

Back to Z9, the ball is yet again with Nikon as to how they prioritize fixes and improvements of the firmware. This is besides plugging the well known gaps in the Z camera line up (assuming a D500 and D850 are the final statements on these excellent DSLRs)

the last sentence is unnecessary, and why i’m not a big fan

Last edited:
"I can't drive the Z9 exactly the way I'd like to, because there's a missing button. The alternative solution to the missing button isn't perfect."

This is probably 70% of the reason I didn't keep the Z9. The other 20% due to the AF modes being half baked and unpredictable and requiring combining two modes in most cases just to shoot a BIF sequence. The final 10% down to the cost of running a 2nd system (nothing to do with the Z9, just my personal situation).

The real point here is that these cameras basically meet the same standards and performance. (video aside). Don't get on me for the 24MP! More to the point; Sony's A1 and Canon's R5 cameras have been out for sometime now and Nikon was out of the mirrorless picture for ultimate performance. Canon's R3 is a continuation and upgrade of the R5's specs (?24MP?). Many made decisions (some here) to switch from Nikon to Sony or Canon. Why? Because Nikon's Z6II/Z7II were Nikon's best offerings and couldn't hold a candle to the AF+ of the others. And Nikon had nothing else in mirrorless to offer.
Now the Z9. So, 'Nikon is back'. Doesn't need to be the *best*, but needs to show that they are serious about their product and prepared to be on the cutting edge of technology and give those who need or want the latest tech and performance, a choice that now may include Nikon in their future.
We now have an even playing field regarding these cameras. And yes, the lenses will now become a major factor in the decision process.
At this time I am not a Z9 upgrader....as I do not 'need' this. I am hopeful that the Z9 technology will filter down to a newer and lower priced model. I look forward to upgrading from my Z6; but I am thoroughly enjoying it nonetheless.

I just watched that. It's one of the worst reviews I've ever seen. Basically three fan bois from each brand arguing specs to cameras they don't own.

Save yourself 19 minutes, and just bring up the three specs side by side on your computer. That's all they discussed. Useless video.

I agree with the general sentiment that all three camera systems are very close now. If Canon did a 45-50 / 60mp refresh, it would be essentially the same as the other two. That's the only real drawback to the Canon, and I understand why they haven't made the leap to high megapixel counts (since the D6 is still under 24mp).

At this point the decision should once again be about which system has the best LENS lineup for you, and which system you want to invest in for LENSES.
Good comments and I agree I thought the whole video was pretty poor too. Not the way I would have compared them at all.

I actually enjoy their light hearted fun on DP review.. i dont take their reviews seriously at all lol. occasionally it opens my eyes to some features my camera may have that i dont use often. i think in my case the case for Z9 was totally based on cost- cost of switching to a new system with competitive CAF vs staying with the same ecosystem cause i own the 500 PF which is more than sufficient for my needs. Nikon came ahead with CAF that i am very very happy about even with legacy F mount glass, all the while under cutting the price by USD 500 compared to competition. Just realized how good a video cam this is from the banter in that video, cause i dont do much video- maybe that needs to change lol.

Back