Z600 TC - Smartest way to purchase?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

KurtH

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Hello all.

I think I've made it through my personal "why" question, the justifications (in my head), and working it out financially...so I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Z600 TC somewhat soon. Now I'm onto finding out the best way to make the purchase.

I've been using B&H since the early 90's and they've treated me well over the decades. I like their state tax refund through Payboo thingy but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by making another large purchase with them when there may be a smarter way.
  1. Since the lens has been out for a year, will it eventually be coming down in price like other products?
  2. Is there a better way, financially and/or logically, to make a lens purchase of this size?
  3. Is there a different vendor that has cheaper prices, better customer service, etc. than B&H?
  4. Purchasing logistics-wise, what should I be considering that is not glaringly obvious (don't buy sushi from a gas station, plant your corn early, etc.)?
I enjoy all the knowledge on this forum so I will definitely appreciate any guidance on this topic, no matter how small!

Kurt

Background info that may help with your comments: I recently retired from the aerospace industry, been an amateur photog since the 80's, currently shoot wildlife with a Z9/Z7ii, I live in the 600mm space most of the time, and I'm looking to swap out my 600pf for the Z600 TC.

Some random thoughts -
BH is the only place that legally lets you avoid the tax. ( I was in the state and local tax business. If you buy from someone that doesn't charge you tax, then you owe the state you live in use tax). I presume you live in a state with tax if you use PayBoo.

If you buy from Nikon, you pay the tax and if you use another CC you might get one year extended warranty. Is the worth it? Not sure especially if you will be insuring the lens, and will it cover accidents such as you get the Chubb policy through NANPA? If you do insure it, I would take the sales tax savings

I have not seen it discounted, unless refurbished.

Also I live in the school of you don't get what you don't ask for. Maybe BH will throw in some accessories or other incentives.

It's such an expensive lens that I wouldn't risk buying it used or even refurbished. As far as I know, if you live in a state that has sales tax, the B&H Payboo card gives you the best net price.

Usually, the lenses that come down in price are the lenses Nikon places on sale from time to time. Your subject lens has not be price lowered, so it very likely will not be reduced. However, it does not hurt to ask B-H in live chat if they can 'help you' with the price, I have done this and each time they kick off a few hundred.

I have ordered only two lenses direct from Nikon, each time they did not add Kansas sales tax.

Last edited:
It depends how long you want to wait and what you're willing to pay.

MSRP is what, $14,999 without tax? $15,898 with?

Nikon refurb sells them at least once a month for $11.8K. You can also find plenty used ones on forums, facebook, or ebay for between $11K - $13K.

I'm a big fan of buying used, so that's the route I've historically gone. But it can sometimes involve waiting for the right price.

The last time I spent this much on a lens was a refurbished 600 f/4E from Nikon USA ... it was a great bargain and back then Nikon USA also did not charge sales tax on refurbished I do not know the current situation. The lens worked great and It saved me a lot of $ and when I sold it 2.5 years later when I moved to all Z mount I got about $700 less than I paid for it. Ended up being an inexpensive rental :cool:

You are looking for a secret inside solution that does not exist. Best option to save money is wait for one to show up on Nikon USA refurbished. WAIT - I checked JUST NOW and one is available - so if it is still there grab it! Second best option is to buy new from a local store. Third best is to buy new from B&H. Fourth best is to buy used on this forum if one shows up or from a reputable used seller like B&H or KEH. Personally I do not trust buying used, especially on such a high ticket item, but others do like buying used.

In the UK we have

This clarifies discounts up to about 5% are possible - EXCEPT no-one seems to have one in stock - probably because of the waiting list.

If I got one (big lottery win and stronger biceps needed) I expect my favoured "bricks and mortar" UK shop where I regularly buy Nikon items would do a deal and might also get one relatively quickly.

if you can’t find one used, buy one from a local dealer and help out the local store. It’s so much easier to go to them if there is any problems. And also you support the local shop. Everyone cannot buy from B&H, then the local camera stores will eventually go bust.

I personally bought my Sony 600GM used, absolutely no problem and I’m super happy with my choice. I saved about 4 grand, and I could sell it today for the same or more, try to look for a good deal. Then down the road if you are going to sell it, you wouldn’t loose much or anything. These lenses keep their value so good.

Also I live in the school of you don't get what you don't ask for. Maybe BH will throw in some accessories or other incentives.
Good advice, I've never asked them for additional incentives. My guess is that on an item such as the Z600 TC, they'll probably laugh at me and hang up. But worth a try.

they're hoping you don't pay the balance off right away.
Absolutely, same on regular credit cards. You hop just one month on a large purchase and it's a punch in the gut!

I liked it better when B&H just didn't charge tax and worked it out behind the scenes. Now you have to apply for an additional credit account to get the tax credited. Worth it on large purchases though.

Ok so I work at a camera shop and we just hosted a KEH camera buyback event. When a customer would come in they could get a quote for any gear they were considering selling. KEH then would offer an extra 10% incentive if they chose their payment as instore credit. Then I would look for a credit card opportunity with a long 0% introductory offer. At least where our shop is located if we ship out of state we do not have to collect sales tax. So I guess what i would recommend is go to the KEH.com site if you have any gear you want to sell to help fund this purchase. look on their site for upcoming events. Hopefully one is somewhat close but ideally in another state. Go trade in there and get store credit. Order your lens to be shipped home to you out of state if possible to avoid tax. Pay the balance on the 0% intro card.

You are looking for a secret inside solution that does not exist. Best option to save money is wait for one to show up on Nikon USA refurbished. WAIT - I checked JUST NOW and one is available - so if it is still there grab it! Second best option is to buy new from a local store. Third best is to buy new from B&H. Fourth best is to buy used on this forum if one shows up or from a reputable used seller like B&H or KEH. Personally I do not trust buying used, especially on such a high ticket item, but others do like buying used.

Get out of my head...I was absolutely looking for a secret inside solution!

I see the refurbished 600TC on the Nikon site for $12,399.95. I haven't poked at the details yet on Nikon used lenses. Anyone that has (purchased used from Nikon), warranty the same as a new lens? And by refurbished, they just mean cleaned up and selling used?

Looks like a great option, if the lens is "like new". I'm not usually a "used" buyer as well, even though it's probably the smarted thing to do financially. Same with vehicles. I have a hard time buying used cars, even though it's the smarter move...I just take the big hit rolling it off the lot.

I wouldn't risk buying it used or refurbished.
Hi Barbara. Bad experience with refurbished? From Nikon or another seller?

I tend to agree with you on the used/refurbished but I have NO data to back up my concern (I've never bought used or heard of others having issues). It just makes sense in my head :rolleyes:

Get out of my head...I was absolutely looking for a secret inside solution!

I see the refurbished 600TC on the Nikon site for $12,399.95. I haven't poked at the details yet on Nikon used lenses. Anyone that has (purchased used from Nikon), warranty the same as a new lens? And by refurbished, they just mean cleaned up and selling used?

Looks like a great option, if the lens is "like new". I'm not usually a "used" buyer as well, even though it's probably the smarted thing to do financially. Same with vehicles. I have a hard time buying used cars, even though it's the smarter move...I just take the big hit rolling it off the lot.
It may be cheaper - but you will pay the tax. Is the price difference enough to not buy new with no sales tax and a full year's warranty?

I buy my gear from B&H for the savings and the peace of mind of dealing with an excellent company. YMMV..................

Hello all.

I think I've made it through my personal "why" question, the justifications (in my head), and working it out financially...so I think I'm going to pull the trigger on the Z600 TC somewhat soon. Now I'm onto finding out the best way to make the purchase.

I've been using B&H since the early 90's and they've treated me well over the decades. I like their state tax refund through Payboo thingy but I don't want to shoot myself in the foot by making another large purchase with them when there may be a smarter way.
  1. Since the lens has been out for a year, will it eventually be coming down in price like other products?
  2. Is there a better way, financially and/or logically, to make a lens purchase of this size?
  3. Is there a different vendor that has cheaper prices, better customer service, etc. than B&H?
  4. Purchasing logistics-wise, what should I be considering that is not glaringly obvious (don't buy sushi from a gas station, plant your corn early, etc.)?
I enjoy all the knowledge on this forum so I will definitely appreciate any guidance on this topic, no matter how small!

Kurt

Background info that may help with your comments: I recently retired from the aerospace industry, been an amateur photog since the 80's, currently shoot wildlife with a Z9/Z7ii, I live in the 600mm space most of the time, and I'm looking to swap out my 600pf for the Z600 TC.
I have purchased refurbished lenses numerous times from Nikon and never have had an issue. Some of these appear to be brand new——no scratches on the lens mount, as if it’s not been attached to a camera. You get a 90-day warranty so that’s plenty of time to put it through the paces. I would not hesitate to buy refurbished from them again because they physically inspect and test each lens and repair if needed. My next one will be the 100-400. So I say “ do it “

It may be cheaper - but you will pay the tax. Is the price difference enough to not buy new with no sales tax and a full year's warranty?

I buy my gear from B&H for the savings and the peace of mind of dealing with an excellent company. YMMV..................
Tax on the Nikon refurbished, tax would be $695. So that brings their total price (assuming shipping is free) to $13,093. B&H total comes out to the $15,496 (no tax, free shipping). So your question, is paying an extra $2400 worth getting a new lens (vs. refurbished)...and getting the full year warranty (vs. 90 days on the refurbished)?

When it's quantified and clarified such as above, that's a great question...one that I must ponder a bit.

I have purchased refurbished lenses numerous times from Nikon and never have had an issue. Some of these appear to be brand new——no scratches on the lens mount, as if it’s not been attached to a camera. You get a 90-day warranty so that’s plenty of time to put it through the paces. I would not hesitate to buy refurbished from them again because they physically inspect and test each lens and repair if needed. My next one will be the 100-400. So I say “ do it “
Good to hear, thanks Tom! I will definitely consider refurbished from Nikon. But probably wont consider used from other sources just because of the price point.

It looks like $2400 is the cost of buying new vs. refurbished from Nikon (see previous post). Something to consider.

Hi Barbara. Bad experience with refurbished? From Nikon or another seller?

I tend to agree with you on the used/refurbished but I have NO data to back up my concern (I've never bought used or heard of others having issues). It just makes sense in my head :rolleyes:
I've used Nikon products since 1978 or 1979, and I have had problems with only two of them: either a D7100 or D7200 (didn't keep it very long and can't remember which it was) and 70-200 G VRII. Both were purchased from Nikon USA as refurbished items.

As far as the 90-day warranty goes, my opinion is that if Nikon was so sure of their work and checkout on refurbished items, they would have the same warranty as their new items: one year. I am done! with refurbished camera gear.

As far as used equipment goes, I was a big proponent of buying used for the longest time. However, in the last six months, I've been burned twice by online used electronic equipment purchases on eBay. I know, I know, I deserve it for trusting eBay to purchase these items. Well, caveat emptor, and eBay was absolutely of zero help in resolving the problems. I am now reluctant to purchase any item without being able to experience it person before I pay for it.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Thrice, there is no more foolishness to be!

Back to an earlier issue in this thread, one way to avoid paying sales tax on an item is to visit a state with no sales tax and make the purchase in person there.

I've used Nikon products since 1978 or 1979, and I have had problems with only two of them: either a D7100 or D7200 (didn't keep it very long and can't remember which it was) and 70-200 G VRII. Both were purchased from Nikon USA as refurbished items.

As far as the 90-day warranty goes, my opinion is that if Nikon was so sure of their work and checkout on refurbished items, they would have the same warranty as their new items: one year. I am done! with refurbished camera gear.

As far as used equipment goes, I was a big proponent of buying used for the longest time. However, in the last six months, I've been burned twice by online used electronic equipment purchases on eBay. I know, I know, I deserve it for trusting eBay to purchase these items. Well, caveat emptor, and eBay was absolutely of zero help in resolving the problems. I am now reluctant to purchase any item without being able to experience it person before I pay for it.

Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me. Thrice, there is no more foolishness to be!

Back to an earlier issue in this thread, one way to avoid paying sales tax on an item is to visit a state with no sales tax and make the purchase in person there.
I don't hesitate to buy used......from people and businesses I trust. My go to is the private party For Sale forums here and on NikonCafe and FM. On those forums, we get to "know" each other and can usually assess whether or not they are the type of person we want to be involved with in a financial transaction. I vet the seller......every way I can, even having a telcon discussion. KEH, MPB and other resellers are also considered.

But NEVER eBay...............

Last edited:
Back