Z600 TC - Smartest way to purchase?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

if you can’t find one used, buy one from a local dealer and help out the local store.
i would use a local brick and mortar unless one isn’t available to use
We're talking about approx. $1000 difference between B&H (no tax) and a brick-and-mortar store. I'm all for supporting the little guy, etc., but not to the tune of $1000.

Are you guys still willing to take 10 crisp $100 bills out of your pocket (additional, beyond the price of the camera), count them out, and give them to the owner of a brick-and-mortar store for the sole purpose of keeping him/her in business? At that point, you are literally supporting a bad business model.

Now if that brick-and-mortar figured out a way to provide something tangible for that extra $1000, I might consider it. It doesn't have to be something physical (filters, etc.). How about services (beyond implying, undefined, some type of extra support as some have mentioned). A free seat in an in-person master class for <insert photography topic here> that would otherwise cost patrons $500 or $700 (but my seat is free for the purchase). Now that's a business model that may draw people to use that brick-and-mortar. Doesn't have to be an item, doesn't have to be equal to or better than, just something that offsets that cost somewhat. An attempt at providing value added, not just saying "support me from those evil on-line stores (that, BTW, figured out a better business plan).

World is changing, not my place to pay an extra $1000 to keep a bad business model chunking along.

Ended up being an inexpensive rental :cool:
I love that logic! I think the same way about a vehicle...I paid $30k for it and sold it for $20k so it cost me $10k to rent it for how many ever years I had it.

I'm sure I'll end up selling this lens (that I don't own yet, lol) at some point so the cost really isn't $15k, I just have to wait to get most of my money back. And BTW, that was part of my justification for moving forward with the purchase...it doesn't really cost me $15k, rather its just the "rental" cost of how many years I decide to keep it before selling (plus insurance).

Thanks Ken.

We're talking about approx. $1000 difference between B&H (no tax) and a brick-and-mortar store. I'm all for supporting the little guy, etc., but not to the tune of $1000.
totally your call

i’m guessing some brick and mortars might throw some stuff in for a big purchase if you ask, maybe can’t compete with a crazy high volume place like b&h

totally your call

i’m guessing some brick and mortars might throw some stuff in for a big purchase if you ask, maybe can’t compete with a crazy high volume place like b&h
Absolutely, and I do appreciate your feedback.

Several people have mentioned/recommended supporting the local shops. I do like holding things in my hand while choosing, it's one of the biggest benefits of a local shop. And I may be way off on my logic of not wanting to spend an extra $1000 to support the local bricks, but that's on the premise of "nothing in return". My brick-and-mortars are an approximate 90-minute drive from my house but I will be giving them a call to get their take on these big dollar items, and if any additional incentives are in play.

I'd be an idiot to think I already know the best way to go about something like this, hence my forum post soliciting input. I will definitely follow up with the local shops and make sure they're at least one choice of several that I have when I go to make the purchase.

Again, yours and everyone else's replies are much appreciated!

Tax on the Nikon refurbished, tax would be $695. So that brings their total price (assuming shipping is free) to $13,093. B&H total comes out to the $15,496 (no tax, free shipping). So your question, is paying an extra $2400 worth getting a new lens (vs. refurbished)...and getting the full year warranty (vs. 90 days on the refurbished)?

When it's quantified and clarified such as above, that's a great question...one that I must ponder a bit.
Not sure if Nikon still does not charge sales tax on used but they did not last year.

Absolutely, and I do appreciate your feedback.

Several people have mentioned/recommended supporting the local shops. I do like holding things in my hand while choosing, it's one of the biggest benefits of a local shop. And I may be way off on my logic of not wanting to spend an extra $1000 to support the local bricks, but that's on the premise of "nothing in return". My brick-and-mortars are an approximate 90-minute drive from my house but I will be giving them a call to get their take on these big dollar items, and if any additional incentives are in play.

I'd be an idiot to think I already know the best way to go about something like this, hence my forum post soliciting input. I will definitely follow up with the local shops and make sure they're at least one choice of several that I have when I go to make the purchase.

Again, yours and everyone else's replies are much appreciated!
you are lucky my closest full line dealer is 5 hours away at 80 mph in good weather :-(

Hi Barbara. Bad experience with refurbished? From Nikon or another seller?

I tend to agree with you on the used/refurbished but I have NO data to back up my concern (I've never bought used or heard of others having issues). It just makes sense in my head :rolleyes:
I have never bought refurbished, but I have bought quite a few used lenses (and bodies) over the years. Mostly no problems at all. However, I have had issues with the focus motors on two large telephoto primes. That's what I had in mind when I mentioned the high cost of lenses like the 600 TC.

Clarifications on sales tax (does not apply if you live in one of the five US states with no sales tax):

I just did a test purchase (without completing the sale) to confirm what I thought. Nikon USA DOES charge sales tax even on refurbished items.

B&H has to pay sales tax too. If you have their Payboo credit card, it is not as if they don't have to pay tax to your state. They just pay it without charging you that amount and presumably get that amount reimbursed to them by the credit card company. The credit card company still makes a profit on those people who do not pay off their entire balance within the one month grace period. Since their interest rate is around 30% and most sales tax is less than 10% they make enough to reimburse B&H for the minority who pay off their balance monthly.

Clarifications on sales tax (does not apply if you live in one of the five US states with no sales tax):

I just did a test purchase (without completing the sale) to confirm what I thought. Nikon USA DOES charge sales tax even on refurbished items.

B&H has to pay sales tax too. If you have their Payboo credit card, it is not as if they don't have to pay tax to your state. They just pay it without charging you that amount and presumably get that amount reimbursed to them by the credit card company. The credit card company still makes a profit on those people who do not pay off their entire balance within the one month grace period. Since their interest rate is around 30% and most sales tax is less than 10% they make enough to reimburse B&H for the minority who pay off their balance monthly.
And again to add to this, all of this is a result of the states going after Amazon years ago now. They all put in rules on collection responsibilities. Most states now have a threshold based on sales usually around 100,000. So small retailers might not include sales tax. If they don't, you still owe USE tax which is a complimentary tax. As you describe, PayBoo avoids the USE tax on you by having the sales tax paid by BH. The only way to make sure the tax is paid. BH was still fighting with NY over Sales tax and maybe some other states last I knew. I was always impressed by BH's PayBoo. I don't know of any other retailer that reacted to the states enforcement of sales tax collection like this.

As far as not having to pay sales tax on items ordered from out of state, some states legally require the purchaser to directly remit the sales tax to the home state when the retailer does not.

I live in Florida, and know that Florida does have this legal requirement, and have read in the past that other states do, also.

Now, chances are that you'll not get called out for it, but with electronic records and monitoring as they are these days, it would not surprise me to see some states start to send tax bills to recipients of tax-free merchandise purchased online and shipped to the end user.

As far as not having to pay sales tax on items ordered from out of state, some states legally require the purchaser to directly remit the sales tax to the home state when the retailer does not.

I live in Florida, and know that Florida does have this legal requirement, and have read in the past that other states do, also.

Now, chances are that you'll not get called out for it, but with electronic records and monitoring as they are these days, it would not surprise me to see some states start to send tax bills to recipients of tax-free merchandise purchased online and shipped to the end user.
What you describe is the USE tax I mentioned. You are using it in the home state and sales tax wasn't collected, so you pay tax on its use. These distinctions get really complicated with moveable property like trains, planes and automobiles.

Depending on what state you live in Hunts Video may not collect sales tax. Also Paulsphoto in CA does not collect Sales tax at least not when shipped to AZ.

Depending on what state you live in Hunts Video may not collect sales tax. Also Paulsphoto in CA does not collect Sales tax at least not when shipped to AZ.
I love Paul's Photo, bought several lenses and attended several classes at Paul's when I lived in SoCal.

Good distinction on taxes. Not collecting (like Paul's and other retailers) vs. B&H paying them and the customer getting reimbursed. Both scenarios look attractive (no tax) but the later satisfies the Government while the other leaves the buyer on the hook.

What you describe is the USE tax I mentioned. You are using it in the home state and sales tax wasn't collected, so you pay tax on its use. These distinctions get really complicated with moveable property like trains, planes and automobiles.
Call it what ever it is called. Is the use tax collected upon or immediately after purchase? Is is collected more than once in a product's lifetime?

To me, sales tax indicates that it is a tax upon the sale to the consumer. A use tax almost implies that it is a tax continuing as long as the product is owned/used, similar to a vehicle registration.

My guess is that all states that tax these types of purchases require the buyer to submit the taxes when the seller does not collect.

Anyone know of any states that do not require submission of taxes in this scenario (not counting those states that don't tax the items)?

Call it what ever it is called. Is the use tax collected upon or immediately after purchase? Is is collected more than once in a product's lifetime?

To me, sales tax indicates that it is a tax upon the sale to the consumer. A use tax almost implies that it is a tax continuing as long as the product is owned/used, similar to a vehicle registration.
From: https://www.salestaxinstitute.com/sales_tax_faqs/the_difference_between_sales_tax_and_use_tax

Use Tax is defined as a tax on the storage, use, or consumption of a taxable item or service on which no sales tax has been paid. Use tax is a complementary or compensating tax to the sales tax and does not apply if the sales tax was charged.

I just discovered that my 600PF (that I just purchased in November) came down $500...just in time to lower my sale/trade-in value :mad:
And why I bought a 600 f/6.3 pf $500 off and another $350 from NPS rebate and got a good price selling Z180-600. Z600 TC a bit heavier than I want to deal with and my Z800 f/6.3 does well for me (for now). I am however still seriously considering the Z400 f/2.8 TC my low light owl photography dream.

I buy a bunch from B&H but as it's cross border I can't buy camera/lens hardware from then. For the 600 tc (which I own) I wouldn't have bought it online anyway; definitely for cameras and lenses I always go to my trusted local camera store(s).

Back