Z8 - Do trade in or wait for Black Friday?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

You can go to KEH, MPB, B & H, etc. and get quotes for your gear that you want to sell and see if that would net you more cash back than from Nikon. Not sure if the Z8 will be discounted for Black Friday, too recent and in demand. I'm interested in the Z8 but am sitting on the side lines waiting to see the upcoming firmware updates for it.

You can go to KEH, MPB, B & H, etc. and get quotes for your gear that you want to sell and see if that would net you more cash back than from Nikon. Not sure if the Z8 will be discounted for Black Friday, too recent and in demand. I'm interested in the Z8 but am sitting on the side lines waiting to see the upcoming firmware updates for it.
Thanks. I did compare the trade ins with KEH and I was surprised that Nikon's was better with the bonuses.

Nikon is having a pretty good trade in program going on now. Should I wait 'till black Friday? I'm thinking of trading in my D500, D4 and most lenses for another Z8 and a couple of new Z lenses.
If you are going to go the trade-in route I'd go ahead and do it. At least for the Z8. I doubt they'll run any specials better than the current $300 trade-in bonus. That said, every time I've considered a trade-in I've ended up selling my used equipment for about twice what Nikon was offering. But that bonus is pretty big. My most recent sale of a body was a D810 and that bonus would have brought it real close to what I was able to get for it in a direct sale.

If you are going to go the trade-in route I'd go ahead and do it. At least for the Z8. I doubt they'll run any specials better than the current $300 trade-in bonus. That said, every time I've considered a trade-in I've ended up selling my used equipment for about twice what Nikon was offering. But that bonus is pretty big. My most recent sale of a body was a D810 and that bonus would have brought it real close to what I was able to get for it in a direct sale.
Thanks, it confirms my thoughts. With the bonus, I can get $975 for my D500, not bad if it's hassle free. Although, you reminded me that I could at least try the private route, maybe get more with the accessories.

Thanks, it confirms my thoughts. With the bonus, I can get $975 for my D500, not bad if it's hassle free. Although, you reminded me that I could at least try the private route, maybe get more with the accessories.
Wow. I'd go for that. I've found FM Buy/Sell forum to be a pretty good gauge of the used market and D500s are selling for less than that, many of them with L-brackets, extra batts, etc. And as you say it's a hassle free sure thing. BTW if you like the D500 you'll love the Z8.

I’m in the middle of a trade-in with Nikon, my Z7 + 24-70/4. I’ve already received my Z8 and feel I made a great deal. My trade in is worth $1800 total.

One thing I’m uncertain about is how Nikon distinguishes between a ‘Z7 body + 24-70/4 kit’ and just ‘Z7 body + 24-70/4‘. Are the kit zooms different from a non-kit 24-70/4? I guess I’ll find out as I opted for the latter for my trade. I’m pretty sure it’ll clear the ‘Excellent‘ condition as I have less than 5000 shots, it wore a half-case and screen protectors since new… and I rarely used the lens.

To complicate matters… I’m looking at that Zf to add to my kit, though my trade gear comes in a bit lower on that trade up, $1500 total.

Nikon is having a pretty good trade in program going on now. Should I wait 'till black Friday? I'm thinking of trading in my D500, D4 and most lenses for another Z8 and a couple of new Z lenses.
Looked at the Nikon website and I am very tempted. I take it that you trade a body for a Z body and each lens for a Z mount lens, one to one?
Also, I looked at the Nikon website and didn't see how long the program lasts. Any idea?

Last edited:
In my case, I’m trading a Z body and lens for only a body. I don’t think it even has to be a Z system, I believe I saw DSLRs can be traded in, too.

Not sure how long the promotion lasts either.

Wow. I'd go for that. I've found FM Buy/Sell forum to be a pretty good gauge of the used market and D500s are selling for less than that, many of them with L-brackets, extra batts, etc. And as you say it's a hassle free sure thing. BTW if you like the D500 you'll love the Z8.
I already have one and I love it! I can't see myself using the D500 or D4 , so I want a second one :)

Looked at the Nikon website and I am very tempted. I take it that you trade a body for a Z body and each lens for a Z mount lens, one to one?
Also, I looked at the Nikon website and didn't see how long the program lasts. Any idea?
I didn't see an end either. I'm guessing they want as many trades as possible. I'm also guessing that if they have a Black Friday deal, it might be a "can't combine with other offers" kinda thing. We'll see.

I traded a D7500 and received the Z8 from thecB&H trade in deal last week. In the (unlikely?) event of a larger than $300 discount before year end I don't want to hear about it!😊 My bigger worry was what Nikon my announce next spring, perhaps a near Z8 feature set at half a pound lighter and a lower price. Weight is important to my 70 year old arms. But I decided that if a change becomes desirable I'll just sell the z8 and buy that new body.

Last edited:
I traded a D7500 and received the Z8 from thecB&H trade in deal last week. In the (unlikely?) event of a larger than $300 discount before year end I don't want to hear about it!😊 My bigger worry was what Nikon my announce next spring, perhaps a near Z8 feature set at half a pound lighter and a lower price. Weight is important to my 70 year old arms. But I decided that if a change becomes desirable I'll just sell the z8 and buy that new body.
I was planning on waiting until next spring and see what firmware updates are made to the Z8. By then, the Nikon program will have ended and the value of my trade-ins will have dropped, making the current Nikon trade-in bonus of $300 a much better deal. The only lighter option I see as possible would be a Z6 iii, but I'm not sure how Nikon would fit this in price-wise and what feature set it would have to avoid conflicting with the Z8. Or maybe no Z6 iii, just buy the Zf.

i haven’t looked at the details, but 975 sounds like a decent price for a d500 and those offers are just going to get smaller
Yup, I pulled the trigger last night and am packing up my D500 now with a Z8 body on the way. Figured I wasn't going to get a better price for my D500 than the trade up offer once they added in the extra $300.

Yup, I pulled the trigger last night and am packing up my D500 now with a Z8 body on the way. Figured I wasn't going to get a better price for my D500 than the trade up offer once they added in the extra $300.
Congrats! IF you don't have one already, you'll love it. I found it to be very similar to my D500 in shape, size and weight, so I loved that part. The features took a little getting used to, but didn't take long once I started using it frequently.

Congrats! IF you don't have one already, you'll love it. I found it to be very similar to my D500 in shape, size and weight, so I loved that part. The features took a little getting used to, but didn't take long once I started using it frequently.
Yeah, it’ll back up my Z9 so I’ll set them up similarly.

Great question! I too am not sure if it would be better to wait until Black Friday! The trade up program will expire on 11/22 - does that mean Nikon will have a different and better offer for the Black Friday 11/24 for Z8 bundled with a lens of choice, say 24-70/2.8?!

If you really need it, then get it.

If you really want it, have no financial issues making you hesitant of the purchase, and would use it immediately, get it.

If you just want it, have reservations concerning whether or not you can afford it, and don't really have anything pressing to do with it immediatley, then wait.

If you really need it, then get it.

If you really want it, have no financial issues making you hesitant of the purchase, and would use it immediately, get it.

If you just want it, have reservations concerning whether or not you can afford it, and don't really have anything pressing to do with it immediatley, then wait.
Thanks, a great practical answer indeed. It is just an added fun to buy something on a great deal is causing the dilemma!.

Great question! I too am not sure if it would be better to wait until Black Friday! The trade up program will expire on 11/22 - does that mean Nikon will have a different and better offer for the Black Friday 11/24 for Z8 bundled with a lens of choice, say 24-70/2.8?!
nikon doesn’t have a huge number of sales and usually not a huge discount. i would go with a bird in the hand

... to buy something on a great deal is causing the dilemma!.
That is certainly what they want to do, and it gets me quite often.

There's a store near me that sells a lot of used gear, a lot of it in pristine condition, and I usually can't pass on something while I'm there. When I was there last week, they had a Z8 in stock, and if I'd had by D750 with me, I would have likely taken the offer. If I could trade in several cameras and get the same terms for all of them, I would have made the trip back a day later to do so.

Back