Z8 - Do trade in or wait for Black Friday?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

If you are going to go the trade-in route I'd go ahead and do it. At least for the Z8. I doubt they'll run any specials better than the current $300 trade-in bonus. That said, every time I've considered a trade-in I've ended up selling my used equipment for about twice what Nikon was offering. But that bonus is pretty big. My most recent sale of a body was a D810 and that bonus would have brought it real close to what I was able to get for it in a direct sale.
Hi NorthernFocus, all, seeking some direction here. I have some older (pre-mirrorless) equipment I should unload because it's just sitting around and realistically I'm never going to use it. You said you got better deals selling directly. Could you please suggest avenues to sell used gear? There's only one camera shop left around here (possibly in the whole state at this point, sadly). I've never sold online, traded in to Nikon once, and considered KEH but didn't pull the trigger. Thank you.

Hi NorthernFocus, all, seeking some direction here. I have some older (pre-mirrorless) equipment I should unload because it's just sitting around and realistically I'm never going to use it. You said you got better deals selling directly. Could you please suggest avenues to sell used gear? There's only one camera shop left around here (possibly in the whole state at this point, sadly). I've never sold online, traded in to Nikon once, and considered KEH but didn't pull the trigger. Thank you.
You can get good price selling on eBay, but it is tricky and after all the commissions they charge it is probably more straight forward selling them directly to KEH or MPB. I did sell a lot of my gears to MPB. You can compare the quotes from MPB and KEH and decide.

I've sold a good bit of stuff locally via Craigslist and FB Marketplace. There are always the inquiries wanting you to send the items to the niece/nephew in Nigeria. But safe enough if you restrict sales to in person only and always meet in a public space for the transaction. Sold a couple of things via this forum but mostly through Fred Miranda.

I've sold a good bit of stuff locally via Craigslist and FB Marketplace. There are always the inquiries wanting you to send the items to the niece/nephew in Nigeria. But safe enough if you restrict sales to in person only and always meet in a public space for the transaction. Sold a couple of things via this forum but mostly through Fred Miranda.

Thanks Dan. I suspect there isn't much of a market for the older stuff. I see many posts on CL and FB Marketplace with old lenses, etc. It's just going to get worse.

Thanks, it confirms my thoughts. With the bonus, I can get $975 for my D500, not bad if it's hassle free. Although, you reminded me that I could at least try the private route, maybe get more with the accessories.
Hassle free is worth it. I would go for the trade in. Then again, I find selling stuff tedious and does cost something (paypal fee, shipping, plus you have to deal with the 1099 at tax time)

Ended up getting a Z8 today at Mike's Camera in Boulder. They had a local outfit that buys camera gear in-house today and I got more from them than I would have from MBP/KEH and the price on the Nikon trade-in website, plus they added 10% to the price if I got a Mike's Camera gift card instead of a check. Now to decide whether to get the Z 100-400 or 180-600.

So, I'm thinking of making the move to get in on this Nikon trade-in event. I have a D5 and a D500 that I could offer; which one would you trade-in? I'm leaning towards the D5 body as the trade-in but then again...

Ended up getting a Z8 today at Mike's Camera in Boulder. They had a local outfit that buys camera gear in-house today and I got more from them than I would have from MBP/KEH and the price on the Nikon trade-in website, plus they added 10% to the price if I got a Mike's Camera gift card instead of a check. Now to decide whether to get the Z 100-400 or 180-600.

So, I'm thinking of making the move to get in on this Nikon trade-in event. I have a D5 and a D500 that I could offer; which one would you trade-in? I'm leaning towards the D5 body as the trade-in but then again...
Gary, I've been looking at this from every angle, and I'll pull the trigger as soon as I get back a quote for trade in for my 200-400 f4 G, which wasn't on the list. I would trade in the one you get the biggest trade in value for, because it's unlikely that you'll use either one of them after you get the Z8, and they'll just keep loosing value. The Z8 can easily be an FX or a DX by switching a dial, so you got both formats covered. I plan to trade in my D500 for another Z8 body, and my D4 for the 105 macro as separate transactions to maximize the value of both trade ins.

Well you'll get about nine hundred bucks more for trading in your D5 body vs your D500 body depending on relative condition but it really depends on which you want to keep. I really like and am happy with the Z9 and now the Z8 that arrived this week but of all the cameras I've traded or sold over the years the D5 is one I still miss on occasion. As amazing as the Z8/Z9 are the way the D5 handled low light shooting was pretty amazing.

I guess it depends a bit on what you're trading for. If you're picking up a Z9 then trading the D5 probably makes the most sense so you'll have one full size pro body and integrated vertical grip. That way you keep the D500 for lightweight walk around uses. If you'll be picking up a Z8 for lighter weight uses then perhaps trade the D500 and keep the full size body.

I'm curious to know, those who are considering this deal for a second Z8 body, are you professional photographers? Or do you use two bodies for different lenses at the same time? I'm an amateur, have been using a D850, then splurged on a Z9 and am blown away by the advantages of the mirrorless. Still very much learning and getting used to it, to be honest. And not being a professional, there's really no justification for another mirrorless in that class, unless I get rid of the D850. Which I love BTW, and for landscapes and portraits, the D850 still works very well, plus I can continue to use my old AF lenses with the D850.

I'm trying to tell myself I'm *not* fishing for a reason to get the Z8 :rolleyes:, but mostly I'm just curious about usage models. Thanks.

I'm curious to know, those who are considering this deal for a second Z8 body, are you professional photographers? Or do you use two bodies for different lenses at the same time? I'm an amateur, have been using a D850, then splurged on a Z9 and am blown away by the advantages of the mirrorless. Still very much learning and getting used to it, to be honest. And not being a professional, there's really no justification for another mirrorless in that class, unless I get rid of the D850. Which I love BTW, and for landscapes and portraits, the D850 still works very well, plus I can continue to use my old AF lenses with the D850.

I'm trying to tell myself I'm *not* fishing for a reason to get the Z8 :rolleyes:, but mostly I'm just curious about usage models. Thanks.
For me, I have two excuses (I mean reasons :LOL:): I'm not a professional, but do portraits and weddings for friends and family now and then, and thinking of doing more of them. As I did a wedding the other day, I realized if my Z8 went down, it would be quite an adjustment to finish the job with the D4 or D500, so there would be a lot of value in having consistency with my backup and also it's a great video camera, so I can do photo and video at the same time, with help. And if I don't do it professionally, I still want to travel and it's good to have a backup or a second camera with a different lens on safari. The Z8 is lighter than the D4 and I don't have to worry about missing the shot because I'm fumbling to remember the settings or not having the same AF capabilities. For now, I decided not to upgrade lenses, since they work very well with the converter. All this said, it's certainly a want more than a need ;)

I did the trade up earlier this month from my Z7 to a Z8 for the fps, subject detect and expected AF performance gains for a newly acquired 120-300/2.8E lens. I’m already very happy with my decision. I’ll also use this body for my several CV MF lenses in M-mount, though I may add a Zf in the next year or two which will I’ll use with those. I also own a D850 which I’ll keep for use with my small collection of F glass. I don’t currently own any Z glass. And, I’m not a pro.

Lots of great comments and discussion, so thanks for that. My decision revolves around getting a Z8 out of the trade in program. That much is known (to me). And Dave's take on what to trade in for that makes a lot of sense especially about the trade in amount for a D5 v. a D500. If it was just a bottom line issue I would trade in the D5 with no hesitation. Trouble is, I really like the D5. I also like the D500 but for different reasons. So, I'm still pondering which one to send in for the trade.

Thanks @aringer, the consistency argument makes a lot of sense, especially if you're in a high-pressure situation with a wedding. I think I'll see how much usage I actually get between the D850 and Z9 (even split for now) and then see if it's worthwhile to make the change.

I did the trade up earlier this month from my Z7 to a Z8 for the fps, subject detect and expected AF performance gains for a newly acquired 120-300/2.8E lens. I’m already very happy with my decision. I’ll also use this body for my several CV MF lenses in M-mount, though I may add a Zf in the next year or two which will I’ll use with those. I also own a D850 which I’ll keep for use with my small collection of F glass. I don’t currently own any Z glass. And, I’m not a pro.

Thanks @MMoretti. It looks like you're having the experience I had going from the D850 to the Z9. At this point, I think the D850 will have to be relegated to landscape, portraits and the like i.e. where subject detection not a consideration, and D850 AF is not a limitation for those uses.

I'm curious about your comment re. using CV MF lenses with the Z8, shouldn't matter much there? Unless you're looking for subject detection in prefocused situations? Otherwise those should be good for the D850.

Last edited:
Thanks @MMoretti. It looks like you're having the experience I had going from the D850 to the Z9. At this point, I think the D850 will have to be relegated to landscape, portraits and the like i.e. where subject detection not a consideration, and D850 AF is not a limitation for those uses.

I'm curious about your comment re. using CV MF lenses with the Z8, shouldn't matter much there? Unless you're looking for subject detection in prefocused situations? Otherwise those should be good for the D850.
Yes, in fact I was considering trading my Z7 for a Z9… or getting a used D5! So, I took the middle path, on a very high and subjective level.

My reference to the MF lenses was more about the type of photography I do with those which is generally street, so the smaller Zf would be my choice, if I decide to add a third body. Though my first couple of CV lenses were F-mount, after picking up the Z7 I started buying the M-mount versions, adapting first with Novoflex, then later Voigtlander’s own adapter.

In addition to my F-mount CV (and a couple Zeiss), I also still have a 70-200/2.8 VRII, 105/2.5 AiS, 28/1.4D, 16/2.8 fisheye, so I think the D850 will be around for a while yet.

Hadn’t thought about your note on pre-focused SD… hmmm…

Yes, in fact I was considering trading my Z7 for a Z9… or getting a used D5! So, I took the middle path, on a very high and subjective level.

My reference to the MF lenses was more about the type of photography I do with those which is generally street, so the smaller Zf would be my choice, if I decide to add a third body. Though my first couple of CV lenses were F-mount, after picking up the Z7 I started buying the M-mount versions, adapting first with Novoflex, then later Voigtlander’s own adapter.

In addition to my F-mount CV (and a couple Zeiss), I also still have a 70-200/2.8 VRII, 105/2.5 AiS, 28/1.4D, 16/2.8 fisheye, so I think the D850 will be around for a while yet.

Hadn’t thought about your note on pre-focused SD… hmmm…

Nice, the Zf would certainly be a good walk around camera for street photography - not a suitable role for the Z9/8 at all!

Re your lenses, why the M-mount, do you shoot Leica and/or Fuji as well?

I thought maybe I might get a Leica body one day. :) Now Voigtlander is making lenses with native Z mount. :)

I should add that because the Leica M mount has a significantly shorter flange distance, the lens on a Z body is more compact that adapting an F with the FTZ. The less technical reason was I really wanted the VM 40/1.2 which wasn’t available in F mount. Since that one, I’ve added the VM 21/1.4 and 75/1.5, though it‘s primarily the 21 that gets all my love.

Last edited:
I thought maybe I might get a Leica body one day. :) Now Voigtlander is making lenses with native Z mount. :)

I should add that because the Leica M mount has a significantly shorter flange distance, the lens on a Z body is more compact that adapting an F with the FTZ. The less technical reason was I really wanted the VM 40/1.2 which wasn’t available in F mount. Since that one, I’ve added the VM 21/1.4 and 75/1.5, though it‘s primarily the 21 that gets all my love.

Wow! Lovely primes! Maybe someday... :)

Ok, I just got the trade in estimate from Nikon for my D5, which including the trade in bonus of $300 came to a total of $1800.00. So, I purchased the Z8 body and am packing up the D5 to ship off to Nikon. Also got a FTZ II, CF Express B card and card reader from B&H. Now, the waiting is the hardest part...

Z8 just went on sale for Black Friday at $300 off. You got a $300 trade-in bonus, so it comes out even for you. But if anyone else reading this wants a Z8 (and has the money), now is the time. I did not think we would see that popular new camera discounted this year.

Back