Z8 - Do trade in or wait for Black Friday?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Z8 just went on sale for Black Friday at $300 off. You got a $300 trade-in bonus, so it comes out even for you. But if anyone else reading this wants a Z8 (and has the money), now is the time. I did not think we would see that popular new camera discounted this year.
Wow, that is very tempting. I am still becoming familiar with my Z6 ii, and loving it. Pretty sure that I will get another camera body someday. It will more than likely be a Z8. Time will tell.

Happy Thanksgiving, everyone!

nikon doesn’t have a huge number of sales and usually not a huge discount. i would go with a bird in the hand
How true. If the OP is serious, then it doesn't get much better than what Nikon is offering today. Waiting for a better deal is counter-intuitive since his current equipment will only depreciate in value more. As time moves on, Nikon will not want to take in older equipment and sell as refurbished since their pricing will need to be lower. OP....go for it and you will not regret your decision!

My "old" D810 w/lens is worth more to me as the house camera than $900. I'll pick up a Z8 for $3K down the road, maybe. If I saw a feature set that changed the game for me, I would go for it but I'll save the money and spend more time in the wild.

Z8 is $3700 now so my D810 was a $600 deal!

Last edited:
Reactions: JFW
Just a follow up FWIW, I’ve had my Z8 for a couple of weeks now and it’s a great addition. My refund for the D500 trade came in today and after evaluation they gave me the full estimated amount which is now credited to my card.

Anyway, hard to know how their camera condition evaluation would match mine but there was no low ball offer here. Pretty happy with the trade in deal all and all.

Just a follow up FWIW, I’ve had my Z8 for a couple of weeks now and it’s a great addition. My refund for the D500 trade came in today and after evaluation they gave me the full estimated amount which is now credited to my card.

Anyway, hard to know how their camera condition evaluation would match mine but there was no low ball offer here. Pretty happy with the trade in deal all and all.
I just got notice today that they approved the full “excellent’ rebate as estimated on my Z7. Just that much happier today about my purchase of the Z8.

(Ordered on November 6, received two days late, sent the trade in on November 16)

In my case, I’m trading a Z body and lens for only a body. I don’t think it even has to be a Z system, I believe I saw DSLRs can be traded in, too.

Not sure how long the promotion lasts either.
I traded in a Nikon P950 and got $450 Canadian plus the $300 bonus, and got the Z8 plus adapter at $300 less than Z8 body alone. I think Nikon will bring out the same new system as Sony in 2024 and wants to clear out Z8.

Back