Z9…A Need To Vent

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Up the frustrations posted about camera Y of brand x and this triggers a brand war....and time and again we know which brand gets flung into yet another Nikon thread....
1. Anyone who invokes/grasps at opting for a Flagship camera of one brand over another might first consider the optics, not least costs of telephotos.

2. Yet again the crux is the Entire ILC System. And most here are deeply invested in only 1 system.

3. Some weeks back, We discussed and agreed to cut the brand vitriol but yet again it's the repeat posters....

Back on topic, availability of the Z9 is improving in most countries, especially in the USA where you have some retailers compared to many other countries
It did take 13 posts before the A1 was brought up this time so that might be progress. 🤷‍♂️

This isn’t a Nikon forum. The op voiced his frustration with waiting and considers switching. I let him know Sony are available Quit crying
It is a general forum with multiple threads. This thread was about Nikon, not Sony. Nowhere in the OP was it asked what options do I have from other brands or Sony while expressing his frustration. It’s not necessary to make a post regarding the A1 or Sony in every Nikon thread. Later in there are posts discussing what lenses A1 users are using completely unrelated to the original post. This isn’t the only Nikon specific thread that this occurred in. That’s where the frustration comes in. By the frequency this occurs, you would think there is a chapter in the Sony user manual that says camera performance increases for each thread you hijack.

I have been a Nikon user since 1969. FTN’s, Nikkormat, 8008S, N90S, 13 DSLR’s as well as countless lenses and accessories. I have only had 2 repairs on my equipment in all those years. I have never considered any other brand until today. If I could sell all my equipment and get enough to jump ship, I would do it without looking back. Just read another post on social media about another NPS member getting a second Z9 body from Nikon. This is simply bulls**t IMHO. I am not a whiner or crybaby by nature but after waiting in line for months my patience has worn very thin.
Thanks for listening.
It is a general forum with multiple threads. This thread was about Nikon, not Sony. Nowhere in the OP was it asked what options do I have from other brands or Sony while expressing his frustration. It’s not necessary to make a post regarding the A1 or Sony in every Nikon thread. Later in there are posts discussing what lenses A1 users are using completely unrelated to the original post. This isn’t the only Nikon specific thread that this occurred in. That’s where the frustration comes in. By the frequency this occurs, you would think there is a chapter in the Sony user manual that says camera performance increases for each thread you hijack.

Yeah, I think the context of the OP's message suggest he was growing tired of Nikon and the waiting. Quoting his own proclamation, " but after waiting in line for months my patience has worn very thin. " and " “I have never considered any other brand until today.”

That's where this originated from. He expressed frustration with Nikon and outlined his history with the brand to give context that it wasn't just something to be taken lightly, but that he had years with the brand and obviously had reached the point he was considering jumping ship.

A momentary lapse in patience in his years with Nikon or not, this is where the other brands became a part of the conversation in the eyes of those that read the post. I'm here purely for discussion and don't understand how something such as brand loyalty can ruffle feathers (it's just cameras, after all. We got bigger and more important issues in the world to stress over), but to say this was unwarranted as part of this discussion is inaccurate.

Reactions: Hut
Yeah, I think the context of the OP's message suggest he was growing tired of Nikon and the waiting. Quoting his own proclamation, " but after waiting in line for months my patience has worn very thin. " and " “I have never considered any other brand until today.”

That's where this originated from. He expressed frustration with Nikon and outlined his history with the brand to give context that it wasn't just something to be taken lightly, but that he had years with the brand and obviously had reached the point he was considering jumping ship.

A momentary lapse in patience in his years with Nikon or not, this is where the other brands became a part of the conversation in the eyes of those that read the post. I'm here purely for discussion and don't understand how something such as brand loyalty can ruffle feathers (it's just cameras, after all. We got bigger and more important issues in the world to stress over), but to say this was unwarranted as part of this discussion is inaccurate.
Thank you for clarifying this. I was beggining to wonder if there was some unwritten rule you couldnt mention another brand even if pertinent to the OP 's post.

When I grew frustrated I considered every aspect of my decision (body, lens availabilty, specs, customization, service, research and development, accessories etc) and really appreciated what others shared in their decision making process. I sure hope this can continue. We have enough censorship in our media and social platforms.

I’m hearing different reports on the R3 regarding AF. I haven’t used it so I dont have my own opinion, but I am reading many people preferring the R5. Seems strange, but they might have something to correct in firmware. Regarding A1 being best in class, don’t forget the Z9 matches that highest AF calculations/sec, the Z9 has a faster readout time, has the dual stream tech to provide a better EVF experience (which I think is going to be subjective), has faster card slots supported by more card manufacturers and lower prices, has better video specs and eye AF in video. All this for $1000 less than an A1. For me, these advantages alone would make me choose the Z9 over the A1 even with the price being equal. I’m sure Nikon will resolve the minor AF complaints as they had promised an AF update when announcing the camera. More importantly, you need to choose the system that works best for your personal situation.

The two guys I really trust to evaluate Canon gear over on FM are not even touching their R5s anymore after getting R3s. The stuff Rob (RobAmy on FM) is putting out there for small, fast BIF is some of the best I've seen him post from any of his Canon cameras. Despite the loss in resolution they are claiming the R3 is a significant upgrade over the R5 for AF.

I'll have the R3 in a few weeks from now along with the RF 600/4 and both RF TCs. I'll be shooting swallows IF to see how it stacks up. I owned the R5 for 7 months and then had another one for a 3 day test drive to test it on swallows (as the swallows weren't around during my 7months). I will see for myself how it stacks up against the Z9, R5, A1, A9II.

From the original post
“I have never considered any other brand until today.”
You should just ignore me
Sorry, I did miss that line in the OP. I know it wasn’t in other posts where similar things happened and that’s the main issue of frustration. I don’t want to ignore you or anyone here. Some of your posts are funny, some educational, some I agree with, some I don’t, but I do enjoy reading them. ✌️

The two guys I really trust to evaluate Canon gear over on FM are not even touching their R5s anymore after getting R3s. The stuff Rob (RobAmy on FM) is putting out there for small, fast BIF is some of the best I've seen him post from any of his Canon cameras. Despite the loss in resolution they are claiming the R3 is a significant upgrade over the R5 for AF.

I'll have the R3 in a few weeks from now along with the RF 600/4 and both RF TCs. I'll be shooting swallows IF to see how it stacks up. I owned the R5 for 7 months and then had another one for a 3 day test drive to test it on swallows (as the swallows weren't around during my 7months). I will see for myself how it stacks up against the Z9, R5, A1, A9II.
That is interesting and good to hear. I’ve expected the R3 was going to be the top camera AF wise, but it didn’t seem to be the case with the reports/reviews I was seeing. It will be interesting to hear your thoughts on it.

For what it's worth I disagree and for two reasons. It's doubtful anyone in this forum isn't aware of the options from other brands and can't easily research availability. It usually sends any thread into disarray and takes on the appearance of a guerrilla marketing campaign.

Up until now I've just lurked, but wanted to chime in about Best Buy and hopefully offer some hope to those still waiting. I was able to order a Z9 from their site today for delivery in 2-3 weeks. They had availability on and off today for a few hours (1PM - 4:30PM PST). The first few times I tried to order it wouldn't go through and returned a generic error. The camera would then go out of stock. It came back in stock 3-4 more times within the next couple of hours and eventually I was able to complete the order.

My advice is to keep trying and use a browser extension to track their stock. I had mine set to check every two minutes; it also helps that I'm online most of the day.

For those that may not be aware BB has a 15 day return window on this camera and a 15% restocking fee. I wouldn't order from them unless you fully intend on keeping it or you don't mind reselling it to recoup.

I understand the skepticism so here's a screen grab of my email. Good luck to the OP in getting one soon.

View attachment 34181
Okay, this just makes my blood boil. I ordered a z9 from a medium-size online authorized reseller in early November 2021. Every month on the date i ordered, I do an online chat with them to check status. They will not tell me my place in the line and will not say how many NPS orders they've fulfilled that came in after I got in line. I noticed that Bestbuy does not take pre-orders. On 20 FEB I clicked on the "notify me" button to learn when they had a Z9 available, with the idea that I'd get mine from them, and cancel the one from the non-informative channel. Feb 20. I have NEVER heard from them since that a z9 was available. I have checked at least twice a day on Bestbuy website since then, but never hit the time right. I guess being a rule follower is frowned upon these days.

Okay, this just makes my blood boil. I ordered a z9 from a medium-size online authorized reseller in early November 2021. Every month on the date i ordered, I do an online chat with them to check status. They will not tell me my place in the line and will not say how many NPS orders they've fulfilled that came in after I got in line. I noticed that Bestbuy does not take pre-orders. On 20 FEB I clicked on the "notify me" button to learn when they had a Z9 available, with the idea that I'd get mine from them, and cancel the one from the non-informative channel. Feb 20. I have NEVER heard from them since that a z9 was available. I have checked at least twice a day on Bestbuy website since then, but never hit the time right. I guess being a rule follower is frowned upon these days.
They won’t notify you until they are regularly in stock. You will need to manually check the site periodically to see if it changes. I’ve been trying to watch for the 100-400mm which I recently decided to order but haven’t seen it show up yet.

They won’t notify you until they are regularly in stock. You will need to manually check the site periodically to see if it changes. I’ve been trying to watch for the 100-400mm which I recently decided to order but haven’t seen it show up yet.
I get it. Don't totally trust our future robot-overlords. So as I mentioned, I've been checking the BB website often, and just not hit the sweet spot. But it is infuritating to be lost in the fun house and unable to get a straight answer from the system.

I dropped by my brick and mortar store yesterday to find out what was going on with the Z9. I pre-ordered 10/28. He said they were getting them in consistently but just a few at a time, going to NPS customers until last week. He asked my name and said I was 4th in line, should have it in April. I am not NPS, and have only purchased around $8000 from them in 5-6 years. They don't know me so no special favors. I really appreciated the information. I don't understand the stance some businesses take by not giving any information to customers which is what I read in the few forums I visit. Knowing what to expect is better than not knowing anything. It just seems weird.

I found this linke where one can order in India(the company will then import it).The cost is around 800 $ more than the official listed price

The NPS individual did not get it through the NPS program unless they are a Nikon Ambassador. In the past I could buy two new pro cameras but with the Z9 camera I was limited to a single one. It worked much the same when I was a CPS member with allocations of new cameras.

I have found it takes 6 months to have a ready supply of any new camera where I could buy one immediately. With the Z9 I recommend working with a smaller camera dealer who will have a smaller allocation than a B&H but also not have hundreds of backorders in place.
May I clarify and correct this. The NPS program allows a member to receive priority shipping from the retailer of their choice - on 1 item. It has absolutely nothing to do with being an Ambassador. You too can apply to be an NPS member and pay the membership fee. Receiving an item does not happen in an instant just because they are an NPS member. The item has to be available.
In my opinion, the demand for the Z9 is extremely unexpected. The fulfillment of the orders for the Z9 has absolutely nothing to do with NPS. Also, honestly, you do sound a little whiny.

The point that you missed entirely is that the reason Sony has cameras in stock and Nikon doesn't is that Sony makes their own sensors.

i suspect that is unlikely to be true. the a1 has been out for some time so sony has had time to meet the initial demand bump. it also appears, if i interpret the supply thread correctly, that z9 sales are substantially higher than the a1. i doubt if the a1 demand was as high as the z9 is now that sony would magically be able meet demand. this is the new normal - for everything. i’ve been waiting nearly a year for some outdoor furniture and a bbq. both made in the us. but they are having production and supply problems. i suspect neither are as complicated to build as a flagship camera.

Reactions: JAS
i suspect that is unlikely to be true. the a1 has been out for some time so sony has had time to meet the initial demand bump. it also appears, if i interpret the supply thread correctly, that z9 sales are substantially higher than the a1. i doubt if the a1 demand was as high as the z9 is now that sony would magically be able meet demand. this is the new normal - for everything. i’ve been waiting nearly a year for some outdoor furniture and a bbq. both made in the us. but they are having production and supply problems. i suspect neither are as complicated to build as a flagship camera.

I heard that Z9 orders at a major west coast retailer were four times the orders for the A1 and R3. The Z9 has exceptionally high demand. I've also heard that orders for the Z9 after initial release and shipments have exceeded the pre-orders. You can expect demand will remain strong.

I know of a few people who have more than one Z9. In every case they have multiple photographers in their studio and they simply placed NPS orders for each photographer. The studio is paying for the cameras but NPS membership is on an individual basis.

I try to avoid discussions about which camera is "better". All current flagships are better and more capable of producing great output than nearly all photographers are capable of capturing. In this day of digital and all of the electronic bells and whistles we are customer groups of one. Many people shoot Sony. They make great cameras that produce beautiful images, but the bodies are so small they are impossible for me to use and I have historically not been impressed with their raw files and menu systems (I understand both are now improving). Canon also does a great job,

However, when I bought my first DSLR (D5000), they were the kit available at Costco and my daughter, then a practicing pro product photographer, shot Nikon so I had an instructor. Now I have invested the cost of a nice new car in my Nikon gear. I love the ergonomics, the range of cameras available and the interoperability of the lenses (FT1 and FTZ adapters). Now, at age 70, and a pure hobby photographer. the costs and learning curve of switching far outweigh any benefits, especially when the kit I have is more capable than I am.

I do not begrudge other people their choices so long as they accept mine. I placed my Z9 order at my local shop this week. Not sure when I will get it. Still waiting for my 100-400 which should arrive soon. I really want to support my local shop to keep them in business as we have last so many shops in the past 20 years. We only have 2 local choices, and that is better than most places.

It is ok to be frustrated and important to voice those frustrations. The brand reps pay attention to the major sites like this one. Let them know how you feel and keep shooting.

Last edited:
The NPS program allows a member to receive priority shipping from the retailer of their choice - on 1 item. It has absolutely nothing to do with being an Ambassador. You too can apply to be an NPS member and pay the membership fee. Receiving an item does not happen in an instant just because they are an NPS member. The item has to be available.

Just a couple of clarifications.

While NPS membership allows the member _one_ priority order, the OP is reacting to a report of an NPS member getting a second z9. It sounds like the second order wasn't treated the same as a normal priority order, but they did get this reasonably quickly and before non-NPS orders.

The NPS program does have membership requirements, so not everyone can become an NPS member. The membership requirements are trying to limit membership to working professionals and also require the applicant to have at least two high(ish) end bodies (at application time).

The NPS program doesn't require a fee at this time. There are a couple of "tiers" of membership, including a free tier. So if you qualify, you don't necessarily need to pay a fee, although you may find the benefits of the higher tiers attractive, so you may want to. All tiers including the free tier can place priority orders.

So it is my opinion that you have a significant amount of people who would not usually be Z9 customers stretching their budgets to get the Z9 purely so they can both A. get the subjective preferences of what they want from a system and B. get the latest in modern AF technology.

while i’m sure this describes some people, i think it’s worth noting these people could simply wait for the z7iii or whatever. they could switch brands. these are the same people who might purchase an a1 just because they want it, not because they objectively need it (and there is nothing wrong with that).

Last edited:
Back