Z9…A Need To Vent

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I was referring to the serial number thread posted earlier. If you read through that, it suggests the current production of the z9 already outstrips the sales of the a1 to date. While we don't know for _sure_, they are trying to use evidence to determine these numbers. BUT.... as i've stated a number of times... who cares? I was simply responding to RikiWriter's assertion that: "The point that you missed entirely is that the reason Sony has cameras in stock and Nikon doesn't is that Sony makes their own sensors.".

The funny thing is I'm happy for Sony, Canon and Nikon. I think they all have compelling offerings. I personally considered buying an a1 and spent a fair amount of cash to give it a trial run and think it's a fine camera. So if you consider me a Nikon zelot, that's ok i guess.

The funny thing is I'm happy for Sony, Canon and Nikon. I think they all have compelling offerings. I personally considered buying an a1 and spent a fair amount of cash to give it a trial run and think it's a fine camera. So if you consider me a Nikon zelot, that's ok i guess.

The other thing is while these cameras are important in terms of new technology and professional use, they represent a very small portion of the 5.4 million cameras sold each year. Collectively you're probably talking about 100-125,000 units out of the entire market for a given year.

i think this is the post that is referred to in the OP:

from facebook Nikon Z9 group:
UPDATE: I posted a week ago about needing a 2nd Z9 and how I was annoyed at NPS for not letting me order a 2nd via NPS. Just as an update, Nikon told me just place an "other" order for a Z9 and they'd send it as soon as they filled everyone elses 1st orders. That was 5 days ago, and I just received an email a moment ago that the Z9 has been shipped to the store I ordered it from. I just wanted to share this for anyone else who might need a 2nd and the process to order one (also, I'm sorry for everyone not in NPS, I just wanted to communicate this, I'm not trying to upset anyone who is still waiting on one.
🙁
)

My point was that the reason A1s are available and Z9s aren't has less to do with demand than it does with Nikon's inability to produce their own sensors.
The chip shortage has nothing to do with the actual image sensor. The chip shortages are for other chips used in the camera. From what I know, Sony doesn't even make the Z9 sensor.

I have been a Nikon user since 1969. FTN’s, Nikkormat, 8008S, N90S, 13 DSLR’s as well as countless lenses and accessories. I have only had 2 repairs on my equipment in all those years. I have never considered any other brand until today. If I could sell all my equipment and get enough to jump ship, I would do it without looking back. Just read another post on social media about another NPS member getting a second Z9 body from Nikon. This is simply bulls**t IMHO. I am not a whiner or crybaby by nature but after waiting in line for months my patience has worn very thin.
Thanks for listening.
I feel your pain I have just received mine and I ordered the minute it was listed. Nikon really must do better. are you in the use or elsewhere ?

My attitude was to not obsess over it. There does not appear to be any rhyme or reason for how the Z9 is being distributed so don't look for one. Stop reading about NPS getting theirs. Go out and continue to enjoy your photography, one day you will get a notice that your Z9 is waiting for you to come and get it.

Last edited:
I have been a Nikon user since 1969. FTN’s, Nikkormat, 8008S, N90S, 13 DSLR’s as well as countless lenses and accessories. I have only had 2 repairs on my equipment in all those years. I have never considered any other brand until today. If I could sell all my equipment and get enough to jump ship, I would do it without looking back. Just read another post on social media about another NPS member getting a second Z9 body from Nikon. This is simply bulls**t IMHO. I am not a whiner or crybaby by nature but after waiting in line for months my patience has worn very thin.
Thanks for listening.
I don't mind telling you, I ordered mine on the day of the announcement from B&H and they still can not tell me when to expect it. Makes me second guess my decision to stay with NIkon, if it were not for the investment I have in glass that decision could have been very different.

I don't mind telling you, I ordered mine on the day of the announcement from B&H and they still can not tell me when to expect it. Makes me second guess my decision to stay with NIkon, if it were not for the investment I have in glass that decision could have been very different.
Although the demand for the Z9 is causing slow deliveries, ordering from a big retailer like B&H, Adorama, Amazon is also part of the problem. Several people on this forum and other forums recommend placing your order with small camera stores that don't get hundreds, if not thousands, of pre-orders. District Camera, Murphy's, Hunt's are just a few. I've done that for hard to get items and have been extremely happy with the delivery times and support. See Post #40 in this thread.

I ordered my Z9 from Adorama on announcement day, 30 minutes after it was available for order, and received it 12 January, so about 3 weeks after it was released. No NPS. I had it for almost all of birding season here in Florida and get to use it with my amazing 500mm PF and it saved me over $1000 compared to buying an A1. 😊
I made the mistake of going birding on 10-28 :) so it was 10:30 eastern time before my order went in and I used B&H just because they had just given me a very good price for my used D6 and D500 ... by the time I talked with our "local" 5 hour drive away brick and mortar store I was really late.

I’ve been using Mike’s for everything the past 2 years. This order will be here on Friday. No 600 GMaster though.
A1, 100-400mm GM, 16-35mm GM, accessories
I just found Mikes late but did find battery grip and battery for Z6II when no one else had it. When I was getting that they told me that I could pre order a Z9 with a deposit but I would be way way down the list.

A friend just listed a surplus Z9 for sale on Nikonians.

The other issue with this process and local shops and the NPS system is one-way loyalty. I've always wanted to support my local shop, and have purchased a D750, 500 PF, 70-200 FL, Z6, and other lenses and bags there. Now that I want a Z9, I'm in line with lots of other folks who've never purchased a thing at the shop, and likely never will again. The shop has advertised on Nikon Rumors and has a large pre-order list. The reason I say one-way loyalty is that all of the local purchases from the past get me nothing when I pre-order from this shop. Which adds to my frustration as I've heard the same - you're close but NPS orders keep bumping you back message as to delivery.

• Sad
Reactions: Hut
I was out in the last hour of light two days ago photographing short-eared owls in flight. They were further out than normal because an NPS Z9 with 500pf user had parked their white jeep in a very visible location. I stayed by the jeep longer than I should have because I wanted to look at her Z9 size and configuration compared to the D850 with grip I was using. Another friend was with us and she had just gotten the newest Olympus body the day before and had gotten their newest long lens earlier. Bottom line I ended up getting the by far the best shots of distant owls after I moved away from the jeep but the major reason was three fold .... I had far more experience seeing and acquiring flying birds and I moved to a better location and my 600mm f/4 E simply could let in more light than the Olympus set up and more light and reach than the 500pf. So situations and circumstances will always make a difference but I am still jealous of my NPS friend she ordered her Z9 via B&H in late January and had it in 10 day.

Although the demand for the Z9 is causing slow deliveries, ordering from a big retailer like B&H, Adorama, Amazon is also part of the problem. Several people on this forum and other forums recommend placing your order with small camera stores that don't get hundreds, if not thousands, of pre-orders. District Camera, Murphy's, Hunt's are just a few. I've done that for hard to get items and have been extremely happy with the delivery times and support. See Post #40 in this thread.
I used to do business with a small camera shop in my area but alas all the brick an mortar stores are all gone so I would have to drive 200 miles one way to find another one, or order online. B&H has been good to me with all my other purchases for the last 5 years so that was the reasoning behind buying from them again this time, they normally have really good customer service but for some reason they now seem allusive to my questions regarding when to expect my Z9 to ship and keep telling me they don't know when they will get it. Maybe that is Nikon and not them, if I could have bought from a local dealer I certainly would have but in my area their are no choices available now. I have heard rumors that Nikon was supposed to make a big shipment March 5th but that has come and gone and no more news from them, who knows maybe that shipment is stuck on a ship somewhere in the Pacific.

i think this is a combination of things: 1) i don’t think they have a “schedule” from nikon to accurately predict when they will be able to give you a camera and 2) they probably worry if it sounds like your wait will be too long you might take your business elsewhere, so better to be vague

I also am reluctant to support the local camera business after they offered me about 40% of the then current Nikon price on a little used D850 in perfect condition (purchased from B&H, complete with battery, charger, original box, etc.,) as a trade-in on a Z9. As a result I still have the D850 gathering dust while I continue to use my Z7. Anyway, I ordered a Z9 directly from Nikon after deciding that I would probably wait no longer than if I had ordered it from B&H (with whom I have had satisfactory dealings in the past and will continue to deal with in the future).

I ordered first day within 5 min of the Z9 hitting the B&H website and got the camera on Jan 30th. About a half hour after the B&H order, thought I should hedge my bet and ordered it again thru a smaller camera shop. Got a call yesterday that the second Z9 was available (pass to the next person please)! I don't like double ordering but remember the D850 debacle; Nikon has not learned anything from past launches. I think we are getting past initial NPS orders, first day backorders and resolving double/triple orders. That said, have the camera but still waiting on Z mount lenses.

I also am reluctant to support the local camera business after they offered me about 40% of the then current Nikon price on a little used D850 in perfect condition (purchased from B&H, complete with battery, charger, original box, etc.,) as a trade-in on a Z9.

that’s just how trades work. they’re going to sell it at a used price and have to make a profit also. they also are incurring risk by holding inventory on spec.

The other issue with this process and local shops and the NPS system is one-way loyalty. I've always wanted to support my local shop, and have purchased a D750, 500 PF, 70-200 FL, Z6, and other lenses and bags there. Now that I want a Z9, I'm in line with lots of other folks who've never purchased a thing at the shop, and likely never will again. The shop has advertised on Nikon Rumors and has a large pre-order list. The reason I say one-way loyalty is that all of the local purchases from the past get me nothing when I pre-order from this shop. Which adds to my frustration as I've heard the same - you're close but NPS orders keep bumping you back message as to delivery.
NPS orders do not bump anyone in the US. NPS orders were all filled in January, and the number being filled now is relatively small. NPS orders are an additional allocation to dealers over and above their normal allocation.

Individual stores can use their allocation as they wish. You are right to expect reasonable loyalty from the store for your historical business with them. You might have a discussion with the manager or owner to see what can be done.

40% of current price is insulting

that’s one way of looking at it. another is that might be what makes sense from their perspective. do they already have one or more used d850s in stock? how big is their used inventory? how likely do they think they will be to move it? what is the used market trend?

i suspect they will be seeing an increased supply of dslrs and a decreasing demand. it’s probably in their best interest to be cautious.

ymmv

Back