Z9 Card Door

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

For me, it’s more a matter of getting used to something new. After shooting with the D850 and D500 for so long (and after switching from Canon to Nikon) I had gotten comfortable with the card doors where it didn’t take any real thought - with time, I imagine this new door will be the same.

I don't, and never have, had a problem with the card door. It's not as though it gets constant use throughout the day when I'm out shooting. At most, I've only had to open it up during a day's shooting once. I can see it being an issue for some people, though.

OnceI figured out on the first day the best way to use the Z9 door I have no problem and like how secure it is compared to my Z6II.

I do wish Nikon would have been a little better with information about the best way to open the door. I use my thumb and pull down and back at the same time in one smooth motion.

I do not remember by D6 being any better or worse.

I don't really have a problem with it. I've had the door on a D850 open up once in a great while so this is better. The D4-5-6 always seems to take two hands, the Z9 I can do with just a thumb. However, the Z9 does seem to require the use of said thumb as I'm not sure how I'd get the door open with just my fingers. As long as I have function in my thimb, I don't see a problem.

I am not a fan of the latch/door. Have got used to it without being comfortable with its operation and need 2 hands to open it. Perhaps mine is a bit stiff even after 6 months.
Does anybody else find the on-off switch a bit "plasticy"?
Minor issues with a terrific camera.

In one of Matt Granger's videos he demonstrates how the card door can be accidentally bumped open. I never experienced it will any of my Nikon's. He was the most vocal of this and was loudly calling for the lock on the door before the Z9 went into full production and Nikon must have listened. When I first got my Z9 I cursed Matt because as others have experienced the card door was hard to open. I can say now that after a few months it is much easier and I don't curse Matt anymore.

yes, I'm used to it, but it still isn't anywhere near as good as the D4-5-6 door.
I think its terrible, consumer grade. The engineer that designed this door must have been drinking too much shōchū

Merry Christmas to all 🧑‍🎄🎄and a Happy New Year too 🍸🍷🍼

Does anybody else hate the Z9's card access door? Roaring bad design, IMHO. This is really the only issue I have with this otherwise great camera.
I posted the exact same complaint last May. The response was basically ... don't complain, get used to it. I'm still hoping Nikon will offer an option for a nominal fee to return to the older door style. I think the response would overwhelm them!

yes, I'm used to it, but it still isn't anywhere near as good as the D4-5-6 door.
I think its terrible, consumer grade. The engineer that designed this door must have been drinking too much shōchū

Merry Christmas to all 🧑‍🎄🎄and a Happy New Year too 🍸🍷🍼
LOL as I noted I do not even remember what my D6 card door was like. Must not have made a big impression on me one way or the other.

I have no problem with the Z9 door at all for me it is just one smooth down and over move with my thumb but someone with arthritis like my wife could sure have a problem.

I'm old, and you must be older than I am, lol
Merry Christmas
:cool: 74 ... but got into the photography gig late in life ... started in 2011 by borrowing my wifes Canon EOS Rebel and had some pocket camera's and a bridge camera then in 2012 I bought my first DSLR a D300S. Been playing catchup ever since and being ADD and ADHD along with a touch of GAS then new teachers, new trips and new things to try. So there has been a blur of cameras and lenses since then 😵‍💫:LOL:

While holding the grip in shooting position, i use my thumb to simply press the button down and push back wards all in a simple easy split second movement, it works a treat, no issue what so ever, the more i use it this way the better.
I am very happy with its operation, yes it was tight when new, but no more.

The door seems to have integrity and strength considering where its positioned, it does form part of the grip, in actual fact the more i look at it i have to say its a good design that works exceptionally well particularly ergonomically, for me, not what i felt the first time i used it as it was tight t open. LOL.

Only an opinion

Back