z9 Failure

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Status
Not open for further replies.
it's possible. i have noticed MF seems to engage much easier with 3.0 than before. at least i think it does, i've certainly noticed it much more. as an experiment, af on something, then just lightly touch the af ring. mine immediately shows the focus peaking highlights indicating MF has been enabled.

i've taken to be extra careful not to touch the af ring. i do sometimes push or pull zoom during a sequence, but i have focus actively engaged so that's not an issue in my case.

I have not seen that MF behavior, and I - randomly during the day - throw the lens oof then tap AF-ON just to make sure I didn't move a switch when putting it down (. It always - even with V3 - takes a bit of a twist. But, I would have thought that MF movement is independent of camera? That was why the switch Am and aM... or I am confusing something? These are not Z lenses.

focus shift feature has been with the Z9 since firmware 1.0. Turn on focus peaking. as John mentioned if you bump the focus ring you will know it immediately if peaking is turned on.
Honestly Nikon is just going to tell you to keep AF engaged..... and they are right.

And AF-ON and focus lock has been there since D300. The purpose was always, focus, release and re-compose. Just keep the AF engaged is not the answer and is not right The reason I use focus lock is so that when a skater is spinning fast, keeping the focus engaged can result in the focus jumping to the background depending on the skater profile to you. This would happen with D500 as well as Z9. Even the manual discusses what happens when you release the AF-ON button.

So an update on my brick with what I hope will be a happy ending. My camera store went to bat for me and got a new camera so I didn't have to wait for service to fix the bricked one. I had already ordered a new/better memory card when I was first trying to diagnose the problem, so I've got that now, too. Now I just need some rain to hold off long enough to have some fun at my local wildlife park and really test it out. However, I did already shoot off a couple long bursts like an evil henchman firing his machine gun in the air. Just to make sure I could. :) I'll be keeping a close eye on it going forward, but I'm hopeful that I'll be in good shape now.
That's really good you got the support.
I wonder what happens to the faulty one ?

I’m not sure this is germane to this thread (reported Z9 failures), but page 46 of the new 600mm f/4 TC lens states: "Keep credit cards and other such magnetic storage devices away from the camera and lens. Data stored on the device could be corrupted."

I’m not sure this is germane to this thread (reported Z9 failures), but page 46 of the new 600mm f/4 TC lens states: "Keep credit cards and other such magnetic storage devices away from the camera and lens. Data stored on the device could be corrupted."
Perhaps due to the built-in AF drive which uses a voice coil motor and optical encoder. Also the reason for Nikon's health warning against strong magnetic fields... if you have a pacemaker you might want to reconsider this lens! From Nikon's literature: WARNING: Do not use this product if you have a pacemaker or other medical device. The magnet or magnets in this product could cause medical devices to malfunction.

That's interesting equally concerning............

I have not seen that MF behavior, and I - randomly during the day - throw the lens oof then tap AF-ON just to make sure I didn't move a switch when putting it down (. It always - even with V3 - takes a bit of a twist. But, I would have thought that MF movement is independent of camera? That was why the switch Am and aM... or I am confusing something? These are not Z lenses.

And AF-ON and focus lock has been there since D300. The purpose was always, focus, release and re-compose. Just keep the AF engaged is not the answer and is not right The reason I use focus lock is so that when a skater is spinning fast, keeping the focus engaged can result in the focus jumping to the background depending on the skater profile to you. This would happen with D500 as well as Z9. Even the manual discusses what happens when you release the AF-ON button.
Let me clarify. I dont think the camera is changing the focus distance on its own. I suspect you are bumping the focus ring which is a little behind the zoom ring on that lens and can easily be bumped. My point with keeping the af engaged is that the AF will reacquire focus after the bump. Maybe program an fn button for single point focus if youre worried about jumping to the background.

Let me clarify. I dont think the camera is changing the focus distance on its own. I suspect you are bumping the focus ring which is a little behind the zoom ring on that lens and can easily be bumped. My point with keeping the af engaged is that the AF will reacquire focus after the bump. Maybe program an fn button for single point focus if youre worried about jumping to the background.

I appreciate the input, but my hand never leaves the zoom, and even bumping the focus ring would not cause the focus to change - it really needs to be twisted that is why nikon came up with the Am switch To prevent that from happening. I have programmed the joystick for single point focus and do use it. My two D500’s and my D5 have a total of about 6 million activations - 99% all figure skating and all used this technique flawlessly - so this is not a new thing for me.

I appreciate the input, but my hand never leaves the zoom, and even bumping the focus ring would not cause the focus to change - it really needs to be twisted that is why nikon came up with the Am switch To prevent that from happening. I have programmed the joystick for single point focus and do use it. My two D500’s and my D5 have a total of about 6 million activations - 99% all figure skating and all used this technique flawlessly - so this is not a new thing for me.
Ok..... can you reproduce it? Does it happen with a different lens?

Modern Technology isn't it a lot of fun LOL

Ok..... can you reproduce it? Does it happen with a different lens?

yes, in one of the posts above I mentioned I own 2 - 70-200 f/2.8 E lenses ( both less than a year old) - happens with both lenses.

Modern Technology isn't it a lot of fun LOL

got to love it…. But the IQ is amazing from the camera and I plan to try to get a backup z9 before year end. So despite this, I love this camera.

I have owned a Z9 since June and put about 300,000 shots on it - individual not burst. No issues whatsoever until V3 went on. I shoot figure skating and last week while in Boston, I found the focus lock was not locked, but drifting when I took my thumb off AF-ON button (yes, not on shutter release). For a skater spinning, I hold the button for a couple revolutions to make sure the skater is not moving, then release and keep shooting (single shots not burst). After a couple of pics, the focus started to drift and in each photo it got worse. I never saw this before V3 and so far, not getting any response from Nikon (calling back in today).
Interesting. In theory AF-C and AF-A try to track movement, and might be confused. Do you think trying AF-S would make a difference?

What AF Area mode are you using? Is any kind of tracking turned on?

AF-A??? Isn’t that just video? so you thinking camera getting confused? Innaresting thought.... AF is 3x7 box and subject detection turned off. Have to think about AF-S. Next opportunity to test is middle of December

Focus settings is 5x3 box, AF-C with subject detections turned off. It works perfectly - that is not the issue. The issue is the focus is not locked when AF-ON button is released. I have used this technique for 10 years with no issues. If I keep my finger on the AF-ON button, it works perfectly.

Thank you. What I figured. I might be tempted to try one of the dynamic modes.

I’m paranoid enough that I am not updating to v3 right now. I hate to fall behind but it seems there is a learning curve to v3 and I have a very busy holiday season. Maybe I’ll install it in between T-Day and Xmas.

AF-A??? Isn’t that just video? so you thinking camera getting confused? Innaresting thought.... AF is 3x7 box and subject detection turned off. Have to think about AF-S. Next opportunity to test is middle of December
Did you try out with a static subject say a tree & see if focus shifts
Even a rotating fan may simulate the dancers moment for your test
If the focus does not shift with a totally static subject , the Z9 is getting confused with the dancers movement & losing focus though it should not

As a new Z9 owner (mid-September) I’ve been following this thread from the beginning. I am getting the ‘impression’ that those of you that shoot less than 20 FPS, e.g., 10, 12 or maybe 15 FPS routinely are not reporting ‘lock ups’ or at least as many issues as those who shoot mostly at the max frame rate. Just wondering if throttling back some keeps some internal parts from overheating or getting fried. I admit that my so-called ‘impression‘ may be misguided or naive.
No. I rarely do not shoot 20fps, it's pretty much exclusively 20fps all the time. I have had theZ9 since it first came out on 24th December 2021 and have never experienced a lock up or hiccup of any sort. Probably shot about 40k images so far.

yes, in one of the posts above I mentioned I own 2 - 70-200 f/2.8 E lenses ( both less than a year old) - happens with both lenses.

got to love it…. But the IQ is amazing from the camera and I plan to try to get a backup z9 before year end. So despite this, I love this camera.
If you are bumping the focus ring on one 70-200 wouldnt you do the same thing with the second one? By different lens I meant different.

If you dont have AF engaged bumping the focus ring will absolutely change the focus. the switch does nothing if AF is not engaged. The AF ring is linked directly to the focus mechanism ANY TIME you turn the ring even the slightest amount the focus WILL change. The switch only determines how fast the AF system re-engages after you stop turning the ring.

I may have missed it in the previous entries, but have you used the Nikon software to determine where your focus points were in the frame?

Good point - never thought of that. I don't use NX (or whatever it is called today), but I will load the photos back onto a card and look at in camera. But, since it is in area focus, not sure what that will show - but I will check.

From
From my own observations & from Steve’s posting the focus points are only approximates specially when the frame rates are high & are not conclusive

Frame rate is not high - 8 or 10 fps, but they are all single shots timed for rotation.

I know several people have said 'you bumped the focus ring'. Sorry, that is just not possible. My hands grips the zoom and never leaves (actually my hand lays on top of the zoom). Why? Because if the skater moves, zoom for framing and thumb back on AF-ON. Also the example I showed I was extremely careful as I had seen this happen in other skaters and wanted to ensure it was not a cockpit error.

I have a sequence of 7 photos, each one worse than the one before for focus - but the ice in the foreground comes more and more into focus. I can see it happening in the viewfinder.

Good point - never thought of that. I don't use NX (or whatever it is called today), but I will load the photos back onto a card and look at in camera. But, since it is in area focus, not sure what that will show - but I will check.

Frame rate is not high - 8 or 10 fps, but they are all single shots timed for rotation.

I know several people have said 'you bumped the focus ring'. Sorry, that is just not possible. My hands grips the zoom and never leaves (actually my hand lays on top of the zoom). Why? Because if the skater moves, zoom for framing and thumb back on AF-ON. Also the example I showed I was extremely careful as I had seen this happen in other skaters and wanted to ensure it was not a cockpit error.

I have a sequence of 7 photos, each one worse than the one before for focus - but the ice in the foreground comes more and more into focus. I can see it happening in the viewfinder.
Could DOF be the culprit specially if you were shooting wide & very close to the subject ?

No. I rarely do not shoot 20fps, it's pretty much exclusively 20fps all the time. I have had theZ9 since it first came out on 24th December 2021 and have never experienced a lock up or hiccup of any sort. Probably shot about 40k images so far.
Nothing wrong in your logic, if its the cause or not i don't know,

i do know this......

Nikon knows exactly what the issue is, they authorize and know replacing the mother board in cases where their fully bricked or damaged is the fix.
Ok to do that they must know the issue.

Only an opinion

Nikon knows exactly what the issue is, they authorize and know replacing the mother board in cases where their fully bricked or damaged is the fix.
Ok to do that they must know the issue.

Only an opinion
Not likely. A more likely scenario is Nikon is swapping out the board to get the shooter back in action.... then they are collecting the faulty boards to see if there is a common failure point before determining if there is in fact a hardware problem or if its a software bug, or even user error. The average service center probably doesnt have the resources to diagnose this type of failure let alone the time.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back