Z9 it is....

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hopefully AF lives up to the teaser info
Nikon will probably continue to dribble out info, and Nikon UK promises more soon

Good news for Nikon to be sure. I'm quite sure I will not be able to afford it (just like I cannot afford the A1) but it is always a good idea for a company like Nikon to have a "halo" or "aspirational" product from which new technology will trickle down to the products non-pros can afford. (I'm thinking D5 / D500).

I sincerely hope this camera body will make them competitive in this market.

Per NikonRumors, the projected cost will be $6,000-$7,000 US. In other words, just pocket change, so no worries here! (Sarcasm intended). That is a reasonable price for a flagship camera. Those who truly need it will deal with the cost. The rest of us will do the best we can with what we have.

The characteristic responses in forums to the news, which is generally positive. Price is obviously going to filter out many buyers! If Nikon follow convention, if not tradition, core parts of the Z9 should dribble outwards.
The Z nomenclature alone suggests this: the Z8 is missing from Z5, Z6, Z7.....

FYI approx differences in size between Z7 and prototype Z9
posted here
Z9 Z7 size.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The actual size is quite easy to calculate, considering the Z mount hast the same size ;)
That means find a picture of the Z7 with the 24-70 f2.8 and adjust the size till both lenses are the same diameter et voila..

Reactions: JD1
The Z7III will likely hit the mark of the D850, Nikon just needs more powerful processors for their system to work well. Either that or they need better programmers who make more efficient code.

I think for event and landscape photographers the Z7ii is indeed the replacement of the D850, which explains why many D850 were sold after the Z7ii launch.
For wildlife and sport photographers, that "speed" gab between the two is still big enough and held people from "upgrading".
I have a feeling the Z8 will be a budget form of the Z9 (as fast as Z9 but with less megapixels and more affordable price) like the Z6 is to the Z7..

The z9 will be priced right where the other probody cameras are, likely $6500. It will sell in small numbers just like the other pro bodies. Unfortunately, by itself the z9 won't move nikon's market share much. I still believe they are making a mistake by not concurrently developing a ml d850 replacement....ie, a nikon r5. Such a body would sell multiples of the z9, and that means nikon would sell multiples of high end lenses as well. That's where the money continues to be. I'm hoping they just haven't said anything, but a competitive pro body may not be enough to staunch the market share erosion. The zii bodies are nice, but they aren't fully competitive especially on af and fps performance.

Nikons biggest problem right now is shipping. Dealers can’t get anything. How long has the Z7II and the grip been out? No one has them in stock. New lenses come out and you can’t get them. It took me 1.5 years to get the 500PF.
if Nikon could ship to meet demand a lot of their financial issues would go away. Canon is crushing it when it comes to introducing new cameras and lenses and actually having availability. If you can’t ship you can’t post sales.
I just got the a1 yesterday along with the 200-600, grip and 1.4x tele. I plan on keeping my D850 and wides for now but even if Nikon came out with their 200-600, the Z9 etc. how long would it actually be until I could get them? By the time I get them the next new camera is coming out. To me that’s Nikons weakest link, shipping.

Nikons biggest problem right now is shipping. Dealers can’t get anything. How long has the Z7II and the grip been out? No one has them in stock. New lenses come out and you can’t get them. It took me 1.5 years to get the 500PF.
if Nikon could ship to meet demand a lot of their financial issues would go away. Canon is crushing it when it comes to introducing new cameras and lenses and actually having availability. If you can’t ship you can’t post sales.
I just got the a1 yesterday along with the 200-600, grip and 1.4x tele. I plan on keeping my D850 and wides for now but even if Nikon came out with their 200-600, the Z9 etc. how long would it actually be until I could get them? By the time I get them the next new camera is coming out. To me that’s Nikons weakest link, shipping.
Availability hasn’t been an issue in Australia, eg I got my 500 PF within 3 days of ordering it, I’m not sure why this is the case, must be frustrating though

If I trade in or sell my D850, 15-30, 24-70 and 70-200, I would be lucky to meet 50% of the sell price of a Z9 and there's lenses to go with it too.
What else could I sell? maybe a lung!

Even though I despise development announcements I feel Nikon was wise to do this one. There is a continuous bleed of Nikon wildlife shooters in my area that are drifting to Sony for A9 or A1 and Canon for R5 or R6. Most people are loving what MILCs bring but the current Z cameras are hard to recommend for action/wildlife. The Nikon DSLRs are the best DSLRs out there for action/wildlife but people wanting the other benefits of MILCS need to move systems to get what they want. This announcement will keep people in the Nikon system now that they know there is an amazing camera coming for action/wildlife (and sports of course). If I had a large Nikon lens investment this would certainly stop me from jumping to an A1 or R5.

This Z9 looks like it is going to be everything wildlife shooters want in a camera. And if you like integrated grips it is the first real action contender MILC to have it (Olympus EM1X of course has it but I don't see many people shooting that system).

The Z9 doesn't interest me half as much as the new 100mm f1.8 macro S lens. The Z9 will be far to expensive for me and what will it give me that the Z6 II or Z7 II can not do in my hands. I don't have GAS for something just because it is labeled as professional.

The Z9 will bring an awfull lot of new and grounbreaking tech to Nikon mirrorless though. Nikon has stated this coming Z9 is for professionals as wéll as "advanced amateurs" and I think they see that right overall.

Back