Z9 it is....

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The Z9 is Nikon's first flagship mirrorless, designed for professional (and perhaps advanced enthusiast) work in the most challenging environments. That's the only group Nikon is looking to bring onboard into mirrorless with this new body. I don't see it as a D850 "replacement" at all, it's the mirrorless version of the D6. That comes at a price - just like the D6.

Without long native Z glass, it'll be a tough sell. I'm hoping Nikon's production ramps up significantly this year as well. Pro's aren't waiting around for gear, when Canon & Sony seem to have readily available products.

Would I like a Z9? Sure! Will I get one? Well, my body budget tops out in the Z6II, maaaybe the 7II range... :) Exciting year ahead for Nikon!

I think it is a bit black and white to compare the coming Z9 to a D6 one to one.
The D6 is a lowish resolution, large and heavy dedicated instrument. I think the Z9 is not easily pushed into that mould, as like the Sony A1, it may combine different dslr classes into one "do it all" body.
High resolution, fast, likely significantly lighter and snaller than the D6, having a Z9 may mean that you can shoot everything with it.
If so, I am sure to get a Z9, even if I have never owned a FF pro camera like D6 or 1DX before, simply because one camera will do it all for me, including 22mp crop mode. Except travel, due to the integrated grip that is not feasible.

I think it is a bit black and white to compare the coming Z9 to a D6 one to one.
The D6 is a lowish resolution, large and heavy dedicated instrument. I think the Z9 is not easily pushed into that mould, as like the Sony A1, it may combine different dslr classes into one "do it all" body.
High resolution, fast, likely significantly lighter and snaller than the D6, having a Z9 may mean that you can shoot everything with it.
If so, I am sure to get a Z9, even if I have never owned a FF pro camera like D6 or 1DX before, simply because one camera will do it all for me, including 22mp crop mode. Except travel, due to the integrated grip that is not feasible.
I think you make some really fair points - I guess I'm focusing on the integrated grip, large capacity battery, and extensive weather sealing. All dedicated to pro / extreme use. And the speculated price - once you get up into that $6k area, it's a pretty niche group of buyers.

I think it's actually difficult to say which mirrorless bodies are meant to replace specific DSLR's - this is a whole new line of technology, and mirrorless capabilities in general can cover a wider range of goals (supporting your point of the Z9 being a broader-use body).

Even though I despise development announcements I feel Nikon was wise to do this one. There is a continuous bleed of Nikon wildlife shooters in my area that are drifting to Sony for A9 or A1 and Canon for R5 or R6. Most people are loving what MILCs bring but the current Z cameras are hard to recommend for action/wildlife. The Nikon DSLRs are the best DSLRs out there for action/wildlife but people wanting the other benefits of MILCS need to move systems to get what they want. This announcement will keep people in the Nikon system now that they know there is an amazing camera coming for action/wildlife (and sports of course). If I had a large Nikon lens investment this would certainly stop me from jumping to an A1 or R5.

This Z9 looks like it is going to be everything wildlife shooters want in a camera. And if you like integrated grips it is the first real action contender MILC to have it (Olympus EM1X of course has it but I don't see many people shooting that system).
I agree. It’s why I bought the a1. After trying the a1 Nikon is going to have to make leaps in af. I’ll say I’d bet I will like the Z9 better in a lot of ways and depending on how they execute the af I might just buy one.

I don’t think so. The ZII is the D850 replacement.
Do you think the newer Z6ll and Z7ll are every bit as good as the D850 ? I have the Z7 and debating whether to wait for the Z9 which is really expensive for hobby beginners or would the Z7ll be fine. I liked mirrorless to start but there are definitely drawbacks in the Z7 compared with the D500 I had before for wildlife, especially birds. Pros and cons with either. Trying to decide...Z9 or Z7ll and interested in what Steve has to say when he’s back on his feet and the Z9 has been out for a bit. Would love to see a comparison of the different mirrorless cameras from a wildlife standpoin.

Do you think the newer Z6ll and Z7ll are every bit as good as the D850 ? I have the Z7 and debating whether to wait for the Z9 which is really expensive for hobby beginners or would the Z7ll be fine. I liked mirrorless to start but there are definitely drawbacks in the Z7 compared with the D500 I had before for wildlife, especially birds. Pros and cons with either. Trying to decide...Z9 or Z7ll and interested in what Steve has to say when he’s back on his feet and the Z9 has been out for a bit. Would love to see a comparison of the different mirrorless cameras from a wildlife standpoin.
I think it depends on what you do. For macro Z7 is better. Landscape I would say equal. For studio probably give the win to Z7. For subjects moving quickly or flying the D850. The Z9 in theory should be better then all of them but we don’t know the specs yet.

Even though I despise development announcements I feel Nikon was wise to do this one. There is a continuous bleed of Nikon wildlife shooters in my area that are drifting to Sony for A9 or A1 and Canon for R5 or R6. Most people are loving what MILCs bring but the current Z cameras are hard to recommend for action/wildlife. The Nikon DSLRs are the best DSLRs out there for action/wildlife but people wanting the other benefits of MILCS need to move systems to get what they want. This announcement will keep people in the Nikon system now that they know there is an amazing camera coming for action/wildlife (and sports of course). If I had a large Nikon lens investment this would certainly stop me from jumping to an A1 or R5.

This Z9 looks like it is going to be everything wildlife shooters want in a camera. And if you like integrated grips it is the first real action contender MILC to have it (Olympus EM1X of course has it but I don't see many people shooting that system).

If you need buy it if not enjoy what you have, the Z9 will be obsolete before it even comes out, Canon has already planed a leapfrog, poor people who bought a D6

Nikon has two strengths only, it has the best image files in the industry and it has a strong brand name, its priority is pleasing shareholders, if it wasn't for Sony then Nikon and canon wouldn't be jumping ahead 20 years and offering a better alternate they would just have kept feeding us bread and water.
If Nikon sold tomorrow it would be for the brand name not the gear.
I like my Nikons only because of the service and the image files and the fact I am not into video.

Note the gear only reflects 20% of the result.

Nikon has made some excellent new lenses............so have others.

I like my Nikon gear. I have only ever needed one repair- a new D500 shutter under warranty. I like the image files too. But I take your point. Canon, Sony and Fuji, especially the Medium Format Fuji cameras are amazing. I will stick with Nikon. They get the job done very well and I have too much Nikon stuff to change now.
I

I think Nikon should first get its FTZ tech on road so that exising DSLR lens would work properly with it mirrorless cameras.As I understand AF seems to be an issue while using dslr glass with Z cameras.
Being birders we have two 500 PFs and the only way we will ever buy a mirrorless is when our PFs work properly with the FTZ .
For the same reason we don't plan for any other brand too

I hear you, I feel hybrid cameras, tele convertors, adaptors etc etc are all in someway a little compromise no matter how careful we are.
I feel Z glass works best on Z cameras. FX on FX.
I think that Z7 II and 6 II is better than previous versions but needs another 2 versions to reach perfection. The D850 is 4th generation the Z is only in the second.
We are heading into a period of regular updates in all models, how do you feel about the D6 you just picked up, now a Z9 is coming, there has been some good glass released by all companies and more on the way, in fact the Z glass is the best glass Nikon has made to date, this new generation glass is what makes the Z7 and 6 look good with excellent image files.
I feel Nikon while it has the best image files it still needs more time to ripen.

Oz down under

The Z9 is Nikon's first flagship mirrorless, designed for professional (and perhaps advanced enthusiast) work in the most challenging environments. That's the only group Nikon is looking to bring onboard into mirrorless with this new body. I don't see it as a D850 "replacement" at all, it's the mirrorless version of the D6. That comes at a price - just like the D6.

Without long native Z glass, it'll be a tough sell. I'm hoping Nikon's production ramps up significantly this year as well. Pro's aren't waiting around for gear, when Canon & Sony seem to have readily available products.

Would I like a Z9? Sure! Will I get one? Well, my body budget tops out in the Z6II, maaaybe the 7II range... :) Exciting year ahead for Nikon!

Would love a Z9 but like politicians they over promise and underdeliver, have to really wait and see, I think if Canons intentions come to fruition the Z9 is all ready obsolete, also Canon and Sony are video savvy Nikon is not, video is coming on the back of 5G and the internet, full stop.

I would love Nikon to really deliver but they are scared of stepping on Canon and Sony's toes otherwise their actions and results would be ahead or well out there.
Nikon is so much mimicking the patterns of behavior of a company whishing to be bought out, I hope not, but the behavior is uncanny.
I think Nikon will survive but will it grow to former market share, sorry there are very grey clouds around this.
At the moment some of us are staying FX and lapping up some insanely cheap high end gear and loving it.
Many of us spend 95% of our time money and effort looking for an edge or slight improvement in new gear when the greatest improvement lies in your feet and the mirror, why well ...........80% of the result doesn't come for the gear.
Don't you think Some of our best images to date still came from maybe the D3 d3s d300 D3x D700 D4s D5 what ever LOL.....so I guess for now I will enjoy what I have got and focus on the composition, the story the wow.

Only and opinion

I think Nikon should first get its FTZ tech on road so that exising DSLR lens would work properly with it mirrorless cameras.As I understand AF seems to be an issue while using dslr glass with Z cameras.
Being birders we have two 500 PFs and the only way we will ever buy a mirrorless is when our PFs work properly with the FTZ .
For the same reason we don't plan for any other brand too
I have the 500mm and 300mm PF lenses which I normally use on my D500 and D850, I also have the Z6 II and the FTZ adapter and do not notice any difference in auto focus speed using these lenses between the DSLR's and the mirror-less cameras.

The Nikon Z S-line 24-105mm lens looks like a lens that will be released with a new body and being S-line a high-end rather than low-end. As such I would not be surprised to see the Z 9 to be offered as body only and with the 24-105mm lens when it is released which will put more strain on the $ bank balance as I like the idea of a little extra reach.

There
I have the 500mm and 300mm PF lenses which I normally use on my D500 and D850, I also have the Z6 II and the FTZ adapter and do not notice any difference in auto focus speed using these lenses between the DSLR's and the mirror-less cameras.
There have been number of other users in this forum who have reported the AF issue in FTZ while using non Z lenses .I think Steve would also be covering the issue in his forthcoming Z 6/7 ii review

There
There have been number of other users in this forum who have reported the AF issue in FTZ while using non Z lenses .I think Steve would also be covering the issue in his forthcoming Z 6/7 ii review
The earlier versions Z6 and Z7 had problems, major till firmware 3 fix, but all that was resolved with Z6 II and Z7 II and a firmware update on the camera for the FTZ adapter. Now the Z6 II and Z7 II are just as fast as the DSLR's.

AGREE AGREE!! - not comparable! (My humble opinion) what is Soo wrong w/ a DSLR anyways?
The only thing I like about the mirror-less cameras from Nikon is not the camera, but the new S lenses which are superior to the G and E lenses for the DSLR. The only advantage on the camera for mirror-less that I wish they would have put on the D850 is auto eye detect (good for fast moving children and animals).

I am a bird photographer and therefore I shoot almost exclusively in burst, having said that, I will just think - maybe - to switch to a Nikon mirrorless camera when the battery life it's 1000 shots or so, in the meantime my 2 D850s fully satisfy my needs. The life of the batteries is the Achiles heel of the mirrorless, which is not less.
unnamed.jpg

Last edited:
I for one am cautiously optimistic about the Z9, but there are still a LOT of unknowns. In particular, I want to see what happens with their tracking modes. The Z6/7ii implementation is no better than 3D AF in the DSLRs and no where close to Sony. My guess is that we'll see it at the same level, but it's tough to say. Sometimes Nikon decides something is "good enough" and that's it.

In any event, I have a feeling my D6 will end up on the sales block in favor of this camera. Although I love my DSLRs, I just keep finding myself reaching for mirrorless (Z or Sony) when I want to go out shooting. :)

Back