Z9 photo thread

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

The Z9 certainly surpasses my capability. Of the many things about the Z9 that impress me is how it handles and perhaps even extends the capability of my F mount lenses. I have the 800mm PF on order (maybe very late 2022 delivery?) but I am very pleased with the results achieved with my 500 f4 G lens. What I especially like is the Z9's ability to handle AF with even the 2X TC. As an example here is a cropped image of a distant eagle taken shortly after sunrise on a very overcast morning at Bombay Hook with the 2X TC and the 500 G on a beanbag (1/500 f8 ISO 12800). Yes I am excited about the 800 6.3 but the old 500 f4 G on the Z9 has plenty to offer.

eagle.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

The Z9 certainly surpasses my capability. Of the many things about the Z9 that impress me is how it handles and perhaps even extends the capability of my F mount lenses. I have the 800mm PF on order (maybe very late 2022 delivery?) but I am very pleased with the results achieved with my 500 f4 G lens. What I especially like is the Z9's ability to handle AF with even the 2X TC. As an example here is a cropped image of a distant eagle taken shortly after sunrise on a very overcast morning at Bombay Hook with the 2X TC and the 500 G on a beanbag (1/500 f8 ISO 12800). Yes I am excited about the 800 6.3 but the old 500 f4 G on the Z9 has plenty to offer.

View attachment 35916
Nice shot. Yes now that I have the Z9 I'm wishing I still had my 500 f4G. I had to tune it with all my DSLR bodies but that's not an issue with MILC.

I haven't shot the Z9 much yet. But I'm finding the images just look different than D850 images captured with the same 500mm PF lens. All I can figure is that it's the difference in the AF being just that little bit more accurate. In all fairness in recent years when I tune my lens/body combos I just do a quick and dirty job of it and get it in the ball park rather really narrowing it down to a perfect solution. Here are a few from a practice session yesterday testing out various AF modes.

1) A cooperative mallard drake
_NZ91390.jpg

2) I rarely shoot BIF against a plain blue sky but there wasn't much going on at the pond yesterday.
_NZ91358.jpg

3) The feather detail is just crazy.
_NZ91270.jpg

4) When the subject tracking works it's pretty cool. This pigeon was point blank range.
_NZ91248.jpg

I haven't shot the Z9 much yet. But I'm finding the images just look different than D850 images captured with the same 500mm PF lens. All I can figure is that it's the difference in the AF being just that little bit more accurate. In all fairness in recent years when I tune my lens/body combos I just do a quick and dirty job of it and get it in the ball park rather really narrowing it down to a perfect solution. Here are a few from a practice session yesterday testing out various AF modes.

View attachment 35955

2) I rarely shoot BIF against a plain blue sky but there wasn't much going on at the pond yesterday.
View attachment 35956

View attachment 35957

4) When the subject tracking works it's pretty cool. This pigeon was point blank range.
View attachment 35958
Wonderful images!

I also concur about the focus accuracy. When the camera is locked on, it's fantastic. If focus is on the eye, it'll be sharp.

Z9, 400/2.8TC S lens, with both internal 1.4 and external 1.4 = 784mm (Goldfinch). Hand held

backyard040822__0081.jpg

Z9, 400/2.8TC S lens, with TC2.0X (Cardinal) Hand held

backyard040822__0210.jpg

Z9, 400/2.8TC S lens, with both internal 1.4 and external TC2.0x = 1120mm (Cardinal) Hand held

backyard040822__0203.jpg

Only had an hour to try it in the back yard and it was cloudy and very windy. Not bad for a quick test! Next week it will be better conditions and subjects! So far very impressed!

Last edited:
Z9, 400/2.8TC S lens, with both internal 1.4 and external 1.4 = 784mm (Goldfinch). Hand held

View attachment 35978

Z9, 400/2.8TC S lens, with TC2.0X (Cardinal) Hand held

View attachment 35980

Z9, 400/2.8TC S lens, with both internal 1.4 and external TC2.0x = 1120mm (Cardinal) Hand held

View attachment 35981

Only had an hour to try it in the back yard and it was cloudy and very windy. Not bad for a quick test! Next week it will be better conditions and subjects! So far very impressed!
That's pretty impressive handheld at those FLs.

they came out great and congratulations on the Z9!

I took my Z9 + 400 f2.8E FL VR out today as I haven't used the 400 much lately. Man, I am so glad I did, the IQ from that lens is simply gorgeous.

White-faced Heron.

Z9 + 400 f2.8, 1/1250s f/3.2 at 400.0mm iso64

original.jpg

Osprey with fish. I got a whole series of 45 photos of it flying across the water and the Z9 stayed on the bird like glue and every one of them tack sharp. The Osprey had caught the fish further out but it was so big it couldn't fly out of the water and had to swim to a rock in order to get out of the water!

Z9 + 400 f2.8 + 1.4x TCIII, 1/1250s f/5.6 at 560.0mm iso180

original.jpg

I took my Z9 + 400 f2.8E FL VR out today as I haven't used the 400 much lately. Man, I am so glad I did, the IQ from that lens is simply gorgeous.

White-faced Heron.

original.jpg

Osprey with fish. I got a whole series of 45 photos of it flying across the water and the Z9 stayed on the bird like glue and every one of them tack sharp. The Osprey had caught the fish further out but it was so big it couldn't fly out of the water and had to swim to a rock in order to get out of the water!

original.jpg
Couple of beautiful shots. Every time I see images taken with a 400 2.8 it makes me lust after one.

A few favorites from this past week. The Z9 continues to get me images that would have been difficult to get with my DSLR's. Still very pleased with how well the the 1.7 TC works with my 600 E.....the 1.7 stays on my 600 unless the light is low. However the Cormorant image has me wondering if at times it may be better just to use the 1.4 and crop heavier. It's just that in my area the birds are so skittish that 840 mm is just not enough most of the time. Looking forward to longer Z glass in the future to see if there is IQ and AF improvements over the already very good performance of adapted glass on the Z9.

Hope you enjoy these images as much as I did capturing them.

1fm2_09Z3939.jpg
2fm2_09Z6273.jpg
3fm_09Z6101.jpg
4fm2_09Z6771_03.jpg
5fm2_09Z6722_02.jpg

A few favorites from this past week. The Z9 continues to get me images that would have been difficult to get with my DSLR's. Still very pleased with how well the the 1.7 TC works with my 600 E.....the 1.7 stays on my 600 unless the light is low. However the Cormorant image has me wondering if at times it may be better just to use the 1.4 and crop heavier. It's just that in my area the birds are so skittish that 840 mm is just not enough most of the time. Looking forward to longer Z glass in the future to see if there is IQ and AF improvements over the already very good performance of adapted glass on the Z9.

View attachment 36057View attachment 36058View attachment 36059View attachment 36060View attachment 36061
This is really an excellent set, Ricky. You made an old cormorant look good and that woody shot is awesome. Sounds like you're a good candidate for the new 800mm PF.

White-faced Heron.

original.jpg

original.jpg
Those images are crazy sharp. ! Beautiful👍👍👍

View attachment 36057View attachment 36058View attachment 36059View attachment 36060View attachment 36061
Rick, Awesome captures! The wood duck and Kinglet look like paintings.👍👍👍

Back