Z9 Second Thoughts

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Well, I picked my Z9 up today, so there's no going back for me. And I got a used 600 f/4 as well a month or two ago. My wife was quite supportive, which should have raised my suspicions.

Last week, she asked if she could get a new sewing machine. I know her primary one is nearly 23-years old, so I said yes. $9k for a sewing machine, but the original price was $16k! As long as she doesn't spend the money she "saved" on the machine, I'll only have to eat PB&J until the end of 2023! :ROFLMAO:

If only Nikon threw in some extras with a Z9 purchase like Pfaff did. My camera shop's owner said that Nikon didn't give any premiums with the Z9, like a Nikon shopping bag, that they've offered before. While I wouldn't necessarily want to advertise that I had a Z9 in the bag when walking out of the store, I'd use one going to the grocery. Nikon, pay more attention to marketing!!

fwiw, you could have scored a shirt or hat leading up to your purchase 😅
F8A373E5-7AE1-4EFE-97F4-E0EFB4372BC5.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Last edited:
I went to one of the previews and they didn’t have any shirts. Maybe it was only at a few of the larger locations. I thought only NPS members got the shirts.. maybe that was hats. 🤷‍♂️

ours was an in store event open to the public although you had to pre-register. they had a nikon rep do some intro, had a talk by one of the ambassadors and had an opportunity for a hands on with the z9 and 100-400 (iirc) at the end.

everyone who came had a chance to choose a hat or a tee shirt. they also gave a store coupon for a 128gb cfe card for those who placed a z9 order that evening.

clearly this was trying to drive early orders.

i kind of went on a whim. i had already pre-ordered, so i didn't need "convincing". i didn't learn much, which i guess was my motivation for going, but i did enjoy hearing Rod Mar talk about shooting sports which was worth the trip to me.

ours was an in store event open to the public although you had to pre-register. they had a nikon rep do some intro, had a talk by one of the ambassadors and had an opportunity for a hands on with the z9 and 100-400 (iirc) at the end.

everyone who came had a chance to choose a hat or a tee shirt. they also gave a store coupon for a 128gb cfe card for those who placed a z9 order that evening.

clearly this was trying to drive early orders.

i kind of went on a whim. i had already pre-ordered, so i didn't need "convincing". i didn't learn much, which i guess was my motivation for going, but i did enjoy hearing Rod Mar talk about shooting sports which was worth the trip to me.
Here it was just a preview with the Z9 + 100-400mm and the Nikon Rep. I went primarily to get a better idea of the size and see what I could notice as far as AF differences. No freebies but at least I was able to see how big and heavy the camera was in person.

fwiw, coming from a d500, my immediate response was "yah, this is a lot heavier", but in very little time at all i don't notice it anymore. i think it's much more noticeable in a comparison than it is day to day
That's really interesting as I'm trying to decide whether to await my order for one or go Sony A1 + 200-600. Food for thought John. I have an Eagle and otter outing planned in May. Like @Neil Laubenthal my preference is for simple ungripped body. BTW If you're going gripped I've only recently seen how poor the Sony option is by the way - looks a poor fit at least in photos.

Too heavy? I think it is for me sadly
I honestly did not want a gripped body and was hoping for a lighter smaller option, similar to the Z7ii. I was also using a D500 when I needed the better AF prior. Regarding the weight, it hasn’t been as big of an issue as I expected. I find the Z9 with the 500mm PF to be easier to handhold than I did the Z7ii and 200-500mm (I don’t know how the overall weight compares between them) mainly because the weight is closer to me so easier to support. When carrying the camera, even with smaller lenses, the overall weight isn’t that bad so that is a nice surprise. The size/shape is what gives me a slight issue. I try to use a small hiking backback instead of a camera bag a lot of the time and the extra size from the grip makes it a tighter fit. Also, when walking around with say a 24-70mm F/4 with the camera on a normal camera strap, the camera seems to be in the way more. This may or may not be an issue for you, but for me is a bigger issue than the weight which I’m really not noticing much. None of this is a deal breaker for me, but I am happy to still have my Z7ii as a walk around camera to save on size.

Not that it won't be a good camera, but the conumdrum that the next model will improve upon it enough so the next model will be a better fit for me, or that there may be an issue with the camera down the road. I know that is less likely since there is no mechanical shutter in the Z9 to cause oil fouling of the sensor.

But if nobody else is worried about it, that puts me more at ease about buying it. So now, all we have to do is wait.
That's true with every camera, computer and phone purchase. The flagship cameras are SO good that improvements from here will likely be incremental for a while. I don't think there's any question that a Z9 or A1 or R3/R5 will be amazing cameras for many years no matter what comes next.

The size/shape is what gives me a slight issue. I try to use a small hiking backback instead of a camera bag a lot of the time and the extra size from the grip makes it a tighter fit. Also, when walking around with say a 24-70mm F/4 with the camera on a normal camera strap, the camera seems to be in the way more. This may or may not be an issue for you, but for me is a bigger issue than the weight which I’m really not noticing much.

interestingly, i was out in the woods with the 24-120 mounted when i was thinking "this feels very comfortable". i do agree that a larger body doesn't "hang" as nicely against your body, but otoh, i wasn't unhappy with it how i carry it, which is on a strap. i kind of alternate with having it in front of me on the strap when i'm actively shooting, or one arm through the strap -- ie, on my side when i'm walking.

Here it was just a preview with the Z9 + 100-400mm and the Nikon Rep. I went primarily to get a better idea of the size and see what I could notice as far as AF differences. No freebies but at least I was able to see how big and heavy the camera was in person.
People who use gripped camera bodies have commented about how the Z9 is small and light compared to any flagship battery or gripped camera they have used. While a gripped body with a larger battery is bigger and heavier, part of that is because of the performance level that is required. That said, there will almost certainly be a smaller follow on body with near the Z9 performance, but it's likely to be late this year.

Too heavy? I think it is for me sadly
You might be surprised. I had my gripped D850 with me on the trip and compared the two (gripped D850 and Z9) back in my hotel room that night, and the Z9 is noticably lighter than the gripped D850.

I've yet to take a photo with my Z9 (don't ask, it's a long story and I'll go into details if asked) but if the shots with it are good, I'm going to go ahead and give my D500 to one of my children if they want it. (They're all adults, BTW.) If none of them want it, I'll offer it up for sale.

People who use gripped camera bodies have commented about how the Z9 is small and light compared to any flagship battery or gripped camera they have used. While a gripped body with a larger battery is bigger and heavier, part of that is because of the performance level that is required. That said, there will almost certainly be a smaller follow on body with near the Z9 performance, but it's likely to be late this year.
The battery performance for a camera w/o a grip would be a big step down. While one can always carry spare batteries, they tend to require changing at the most inconvenient moments. ("Look over there, an unobstructed view of Sasquatch! Quick, get a photo of him!".... "I'll have to change my camera battery first.")

The battery performance for a camera w/o a grip would be a big step down. While one can always carry spare batteries, they tend to require changing at the most inconvenient moments. ("Look over there, an unobstructed view of Sasquatch! Quick, get a photo of him!".... "I'll have to change my camera battery first.")

that's why i think we'll see an intermediate body style with an intermediate battery. ie, z6ii style body + en-el15c on the small end, new medium sized camera in the middle, and the z9 + en-el18d

totally guess on my part, but i think it's a good observation that the en-el15c probably isn't going to have enough power for some applications

Back