Z9 ship date

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Anyone who is heavily invested in Nikon just has to learn how to interpret their marketing/advertising. It's simple. The technical information is accurate. The dates mean nothing. It'll be here when it's here :( And heaven forbid don't pay any attention to the blogosphere predictions.
Is it too much to ask more of them? If their dates mean nothing, then what does that say about them? If a store claims to be open at certain times of certain days, yet is often closed when I show up to shop on those times and days, it doesn't take long before I start shopping elsewhere, as long as I can purchase the product I want, or a suitable substitute, elsewhere. Your advice to not pay attention to internet rumors is sage advice, but what some of us are less than pleased with are comms right from "Nikon's mouth".

For those like me, who are very invested in Nikon, and/or just feel like I'm too old to change systems, the current time is a crossroad. It almost is changing systems by going to Nikon Z cameras and lenses, and if not for the FTZ, it would be. Looking ahead, instead of both ways, might lead someone like me to go ahead and seriously look into changing from Nikon to Sony or Canon (or another) for mirrorless offerings. I don't plan on purchasing many more photography items in my lifetime, but those few will be a substantial expense. I'll wager that Nikon's workforce and shareholders would like me to spend my money on their products, and not on their competetors'.

Is it too much to ask more of them? If their dates mean nothing, then what does that say about them? If a store claims to be open at certain times of certain days, yet is often closed when I show up to shop on those times and days, it doesn't take long before I start shopping elsewhere, as long as I can purchase the product I want, or a suitable substitute, elsewhere. Your advice to not pay attention to internet rumors is sage advice, but what some of us are less than pleased with are comms right from "Nikon's mouth".

For those like me, who are very invested in Nikon, and/or just feel like I'm too old to change systems, the current time is a crossroad. It almost is changing systems by going to Nikon Z cameras and lenses, and if not for the FTZ, it would be. Looking ahead, instead of both ways, might lead someone like me to go ahead and seriously look into changing from Nikon to Sony or Canon (or another) for mirrorless offerings. I don't plan on purchasing many more photography items in my lifetime, but those few will be a substantial expense. I'll wager that Nikon's workforce and shareholders would like me to spend my money on their products, and not on their competetors'.
I don’t think anyone is disagreeing with these points in general, but everything is a little different for now. There are many businesses who are struggling to find enough help. Just yesterday I was reading a post of people complaining they went to Panera Bread and they were closed. Turns out they can’t find enough workers to stay open for the entire day. Some places are open for takeout only. It seems quite common during 2021 for businesses to continually be adjusting hours, without notice, to adjust for the situation.

I agree but it makes me wonder how Sony does it? They have done good keeping up with demand
They have done better, but haven’t been without impact. They have temporarily halted production of certain items to prioritize others. The A1 was released before things got worse, not during holiday shipping, and initial demand was likely a little lower as people didn’t realize the capabilities until everyone began talking about it. We will see if they are able to fulfill all A74 orders once they start shipping. I’m sure they will do better than the current average, but would expect there to be some difficulties. This isn’t to say Nikon gets a free pass, but even if they really tried their best it could be hard of their hands.

I agree but it makes me wonder how Sony does it? They have done good keeping up with demand
They are massively bigger, have several semiconductor facilities and pipelines fully or partially owned by them. And if they source from independents electronics manufacturers and they have to prioritize between sony and nikon, I think you'd pick sony for the volume :D

Have you tried buying a PS5? Sony is having issues like everyone else, although it's much better positioned than Nikon, a small company with meager resources. Cameras are something like 5% of Sony's revenue and they make their own sensors, so it's a little easier for them.

My biggest complaint about the whole situation is the lack of communication. Perhaps they don't know at this point an exact ship date but they sure as hell know when its not shipping! I would be perfectly content if they would communicate it's not shipping in December. A little communication goes a long way, no matter what the subject.

But... It's still december for another 14 days. There is no reason to think no Z9 will be shipped in 2021. Considering it's been in production for at least 2 months, probably more, there are thousands on their way to be shipped on the said date. And thousands more will be shipped later in 2022.

But... It's still december for another 14 days. There is no reason to think no Z9 will be shipped in 2021. Considering it's been in production for at least 2 months, probably more, there are thousands on their way to be shipped on the said date. And thousands more will be shipped later in 2022.
What ship date? I have received nor seen any direct communication from Nikon regarding a ship date.

...Your advice to not pay attention to internet rumors is sage advice, but what some of us are less than pleased with are comms right from "Nikon's mouth".
I must have missed the announcements that Nikon made with specific delivery promises for the Z9. All I remember is them saying it would be before the end of the year. Which they've now confirmed.
I've been in the same place for months. A couple of years even. But with info that has come out since October(?) with all of the Z9 testing etc, I've gotten a lot more comfortable. The move to Z doesn't have to be a wholesale system change. With the FTZ we can transition slowly. Many who don't need blazing speed from AF have already done so and are perfectly happy. For those of us who are waiting on the Z9 it's been a trial. But a bit of perspective is helpful. We're really just impatient. It's not like we're without the ability to shoot during this waiting. I myself came within a hairs breadth of buying an A1/200-600mm. A couple of months ago I found out they had them in stock at my local shop and I decided to go get it. If we lived closer to the shop I would have done so. But events intervened and saved me from my temporary insanity.
I don’t think anyone is disagreeing with these points in general, but everything is a little different for now. There are many businesses who are struggling to find enough help. Just yesterday I was reading a post of people complaining they went to Panera Bread and they were closed. Turns out they can’t find enough workers to stay open for the entire day. Some places are open for takeout only. It seems quite common during 2021 for businesses to continually be adjusting hours, without notice, to adjust for the situation.
I don't think the labor issues that businesses are struggling with in the USA are necessarily affecting the countries where Nikon manufactures their products.
I seem to recall a lot of whining about wait times for A1s and 600mm f4s. It's only been a few of the high demand Nikon products that have been in short supply not their entire lineup.
See above. There's a good bit of confirmation bias(Sony fans) and greener grass syndrome(Nikon owners) at play.

Calm..... Breath in, breath out....

What ship date? I have received nor seen any direct communication from Nikon regarding a ship date.
Nikon has said multiple times ships before year end but did not provide a specific date. The Nikon rep I talked to also said it will ship in December but could not say a specific day due to logistics challenges. For me, it doesn’t matter as much now because I know the best I can hope for is being in the second shipment so I’ll be more inpatient come mid January 😊

Certainly hard to say, but if they have a 20 person waiting list and they get 5 cameras, it's not a problem if 50% drop out. But as your backlog line shrinks, it becomes more of a problem.
I know the owner of "my camera shop" from college, and he's discussed this issue before. It doesn't worry him because he has enough trust in the camera manufacturers to believe that if he orders and receives the cameras, he'll be able to sell them, even if some of the pre-order customers back out of the order. His issue is nearly always needing more stock to meet demand.

Last edited:
most likely not, but based on a conversation I had, the current issue for the delivery date is shipping related.
That makes sense. But that's not a Nikon issue. Of course with their poor PR it will be anyway.
I don’t remember much whining for Sony...
No surprise there :rolleyes:
... A couple months after announcements and they were everywhere...
Hmmm. I recall checking B/H, Adorama, and Amazon off and on for months and seeing nothing but "backordered". I signed up with B/H to be notified when they came in stock and finally received a notice in September/October timeframe(?). And they went back out of stock almost immediately.
... Out of stock means a couple/ weeks. By the time I ordered mine it was at my door in a week...
Yeah now. But not for several months after release.
...It sounds like shipments are beginning for the Z9 so that’s great news. Now everyone that doesn’t need great AF because they are better photographers can have one. lol
And no doubt some of them would have been satisfied with a 45MP flagship DSLR body. But even those guys like new toys ;)

It's an interesting phenomenon that Sony products being sold out is a badge of honor indicating such high demand. For Nikon it's a mortal sin.

I'm sorry (sort of) to say this, but my goodness, this whole discussion provides new definition to the term, "First World problem."

Partly as a test, I put myself on the notification list at B & H for the much sought-after Canon 100-500mm RF zoom lens. It's been months now, and I keep getting the "not yet" messages. Sony's A1 was unavailable for several months earlier this year. Stuff happens; we are in a changed world when it comes to supplying much in demand items. Meanwhile, we are talking about Nikon possibly misstating the delivery date for the Z9 by a couple of weeks, big darned honk.

It seems to me that people should be excited and happy that Nikon is providing what seems like an incredible new flagship camera, and instead people are carping about not getting it on the very day they anticipated. People who can't stand the wait are welcome to switch to another camera brand. Isn't choice wonderful?

If Nikon had said that the Z9 were coming in 2022, would it have made a difference to you? Would it have made a difference to others? As far as specific release dates announcements from Nikon, I feel that this may have been intentionally vague to get and keep some potential customers interested in staying with the brand. (Not that the competing companies high-end products are piled high on the shelves. I visited the closest "real camera store" two weeks ago and the only cameras they had in stock were on the low-cost end, no matter the manufacturer, if thay had any at all. Even their stock of used cameras was the same way, except for two that I now consider ancient technology.)

I know I have the ability to use the cameras that I have to get out and shoot, and if I hadn't told my friend I was going to buy a Z9 from him, I'd likely have adjusted my senses and pass on the Z9 altogether. I'd wait until either they were in such supply that I could walk in an buy one off of the shelf or the next option that suits me better. (Aren't a lot of us expecting an improved consumer camera with some Z9 features to emerge later?)

One thing that I don't recall being mentioned here is the impact this has on camera retailers. While the lack of product to most of us is simply a matter of inconvenience, to the retailer/business it's might be an existential issue. It's easy to say that one product delay shouldn't cause a good business to fail, but for some of them, it very well may be the proverbial "straw that breaks the camel's back." In my case, if I hadn't decided to purchase the Z9, I would have purchased another item from my "Nikon wish list." The retailer would have made a profit on that Item and in better financial condition to close the year than they are waiting for a product to arrive to sell it.

However, the bottom line, to me, still is that I now view Nikon communications as ambiguous at best, and I expect better of them. I hope that Nikon makes me wrong in the next two weeks by releasing a lot of Z9s into the market; them doing so just might make this impatient, pessimistic, first-world dwelling curmudgeon smile. (EOM)

I'm sorry (sort of) to say this, but my goodness, this whole discussion provides new definition to the term, "First World problem."

Partly as a test, I put myself on the notification list at B & H for the much sought-after Canon 100-500mm RF zoom lens. It's been months now, and I keep getting the "not yet" messages. Sony's A1 was unavailable for several months earlier this year. Stuff happens; we are in a changed world when it comes to supplying much in demand items. Meanwhile, we are talking about Nikon possibly misstating the delivery date for the Z9 by a couple of weeks, big darned honk.

It seems to me that people should be excited and happy that Nikon is providing what seems like an incredible new flagship camera, and instead people are carping about not getting it on the very day they anticipated. People who can't stand the wait are welcome to switch to another camera brand. Isn't choice wonderful?
First off no one is saying it's the end of the world and not a first world problem. Secondly, I have spent tens of thousands of dollars with Nikon over the years and have been extremely loyal as a customer. Through my own doing, I have paid in full for a body along with a battery. Having said that, I absolutely have a right as a loyal paying customer to be advised if there are going to be delays! My world will not come crashing down if I never receive this camera. Wanting updates and communication isn't a sin, nor am I or anyone else wanting information wrong! We all understand the worker shortage, material shortage and so on.

If Nikon had said that the Z9 were coming in 2022, would it have made a difference to you? Would it have made a difference to others? As far as specific release dates announcements from Nikon, I feel that this may have been intentionally vague to get and keep some potential customers interested in staying with the brand. (Not that the competing companies high-end products are piled high on the shelves. I visited the closest "real camera store" two weeks ago and the only cameras they had in stock were on the low-cost end, no matter the manufacturer, if thay had any at all. Even their stock of used cameras was the same way, except for two that I now consider ancient technology.)

I know I have the ability to use the cameras that I have to get out and shoot, and if I hadn't told my friend I was going to buy a Z9 from him, I'd likely have adjusted my senses and pass on the Z9 altogether. I'd wait until either they were in such supply that I could walk in an buy one off of the shelf or the next option that suits me better. (Aren't a lot of us expecting an improved consumer camera with some Z9 features to emerge later?)

One thing that I don't recall being mentioned here is the impact this has on camera retailers. While the lack of product to most of us is simply a matter of inconvenience, to the retailer/business it's might be an existential issue. It's easy to say that one product delay shouldn't cause a good business to fail, but for some of them, it very well may be the proverbial "straw that breaks the camel's back." In my case, if I hadn't decided to purchase the Z9, I would have purchased another item from my "Nikon wish list." The retailer would have made a profit on that Item and in better financial condition to close the year than they are waiting for a product to arrive to sell it.

However, the bottom line, to me, still is that I now view Nikon communications as ambiguous at best, and I expect better of them. I hope that Nikon makes me wrong in the next two weeks by releasing a lot of Z9s into the market; them doing so just might make this impatient, pessimistic, first-world dwelling curmudgeon smile.
You hit the nail on the head.

...I think your Nikon loyalty is affecting your perception of reality
I think you're experiencing a bit of selective memory. I'm no Nikon loyalist. Far from it. I believe a review of my historical posts would demonstrate that. They are a terrible company with a great engineering department. But a bit of balance/perspective is needed for all of the pie in the sky Sony fans and the inverse Nikon shooters. Though why I let myself fall into that trap I don't know. My apologies. Continue handing out the rose colored glasses.

I think one thing we can all agree on is Nikon has been bleeding from a gaping wound for the last 3 to 4 years due to not having a pro body and poor focus capabilities. The D850 was the last truly great camera Nikon has released. I would think at this point in the game, their marketing department would’ve made sure every I was dotted and T crossed before the release of this camera. There is nothing that could ever make me understand why any company would release a product and not have that product ready to be sent to customers immediately. I am referring to any company, not just Nikon. As soon as you pull the trigger on that release you have expectations to provide that product no matter what it is or where it is. Also once that product is released you have the responsibility of communicating that products availability and estimated time of delivery. I am hoping in the next few days things will start rolling out and this will be a monumental success for the company. Having said all that, if they do fumble this role out, I’m not sure they will recover from it. I am already disheartened by the fact there’s been no substantial update for the two cameras I already own. Speaking solely for myself, this might be the straw that breaks the camels back and forces me into another system that I can depend on.

Reactions: Hut
I don’t remember much whining for Sony. A couple months after announcements and they were everywhere. Out of stock means a couple/ weeks. By the time I ordered mine it was at my door in a week.
This is almost certainly due to them being in the lead in the mirrorless camera "race." Being behind and trying to catch up leads to more marketing promises.

Just thinking about it, I ordered a 24 inch iMac with apple's own M1 chip on the third and it arrived at my door 10 days later. Not a shelf item.

Nikon (life long Nikon user here) is not a great company in most measures and their inability to be as organized as Apple or Sony is no surprise. In our industry (photography), they are the third or fourth tallest midget. I hope the z-system saves them financially but I don't expect much from them as a company. Sitting tight waiting on my Z9 and a few Z lenses.

Nikon (life long Nikon user here) is not a great company in most measures and their inability to be as organized as Apple or Sony is no surprise. In our industry (photography), they are the third or fourth tallest midget. I hope the z-system saves them financially but I don't expect much from them as a company. Sitting tight waiting on my Z9 and a few Z lenses.

I don't care which camera system you use, we all need Nikon to remain in business, although for different reasons!

Back