Z9 ship date

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Just thinking about it, I ordered a 24 inch iMac with apple's own M1 chip on the third and it arrived at my door 10 days later. Not a shelf item.
I ordered an apple watch - 3-4 weeks, macbook pro this autumn 4-6 weeks. Not everything is perfect at Apple

I suppose, but once you get to the performance of the D5, every improvement is hard won.
Never had a D5. Switch to Nikon from Canon and got a pair of D850. Waited to the D5 to be updated. D6 is a nice camera but I was hoping for more (doesn't everyone want more ?)

Should it have been called a D6 or perhaps a D5s. I am bit disappointed in the D6, but I suspect that nikon was already working on the Z9 at that point and putting all the goodies and engineering effort into the Z9
I agree, I am disappointed in my D6 also, not the camera and auto focus system I thought is should be.

I ordered an apple watch - 3-4 weeks, macbook pro this autumn 4-6 weeks. Not everything is perfect at Apple
I had the same Apple experience, ordered a Series 7 watch in early November took a month to get it.

My wife ordered one this week it arrived in two days. She then got an email from Apple saying they are having trouble delivering the trade in kit for her old watch. They need her to call to verify the address, but it’s the same address where we just took delivery of the new watch yesterday. What?

I had the same Apple experience, ordered a Series 7 watch in early November took a month to get it.

My wife ordered one this week it arrived in two days. She then got an email from Apple saying they are having trouble delivering the trade in kit for her old watch. They need her to call to verify the address, but it’s the same address where we just took delivery of the new watch yesterday. What?
My trade in kit has not yet shipped. No contact from Apple

Listen, I’m not going to explain myself to any more people with condescending comments on here. If this post offends you then please reframe from your petty comments. I will say now what I have said at least 10 times now, I have every right as a consumer, as a Nikon customer or any other reason I see fit to feel I have the right to be informed if there’s going to be massive shipping delays. As a customer who has probably spent more than $50,000 with Nikon over the last several years I absolutely beyond any shadow of doubt have the right to feel I’m entitled to be informed if they were going to be shipping delays and some kind of timeframe for shipping in general.
I have to agree with you on those points, if it is a manufacturing problem they should give everyone expecting the product at a certain date a heads up if there is a delay. I thought they were going to start shipping the 15th of this month, I didn't order until late in the day on the first day of the release so I am sort of expecting mine to be later than that anyway. I order stuff on a weekly basis from vendors that are having all kinds of problems with the supply chain right now and unfortunately they can't do anything about that so I don't blame them I blame the shipping companies. Oh well, I just try to grin and bear it otherwise I would pull what little hair I have left out. If you do stick it out with Nikon I certainly hope the wait will be worth it, I know I certainly hope it is, and I am sure I will be all antsy by the time it gets here.

Last edited:
My trade in kit has not yet shipped. No contact from Apple

Makes you scratch your head in wonderment doesn't it, lol!

The firmware for the generation two bodies is a whole other source of frustration for me. I have over 20k in Nikon gear and have shot with nothing else for the last 16 years. I am as pro Nikon as any person walking the earth and I think this post has been vastly misunderstood. All I am saying is I don’t care if they say March 1 June 1 May 1 or any month in between it’s just frustrating that there are no answers. Also like I said the other day, Nikon Never promised vast improvements in the generation two bodies so I guess that’s our fault for assuming that. It’s still frustrating and I think we all have the right to feel that way from time to time.
Yes sir brother, I feel your pain

I'd suggest the D6 was the last great camera Nikon has release. YMMV
I had a D4s and skipped forward to the D6 and while I did like many of the improvements and the custom group settings etc. my D6 lens mount got damaged in a fall off a car seat with a 600 f/4 E attached, repaired by insurance and seemed to be working fine. Then on Z9 announcement day @Steve got me thinking with his comment wish I had sold my D6 earlier and as soon as I finished my Z9 pre order I immediately got an on line quote form B&H and it was more than I expected so sold it and my D500 to B&H. Kept the D850 for use until my Z9 arrives and most likely for an ongoing back up body and with a 35-150 or 24-70 attached and ready when out and about.

I'd suggest the D6 was the last great camera Nikon has release. YMMV

The D850 and D6 are both the best Nikon Cameras ever made.

They are Two different cameras if you want blazing focus attack speed, and nail everything you point it at in super low light then the D6 is it, if you want a smaller lighter higher resolution high dynamic range all rounder the D850 is it, they are two different tools.

It took way over 6 months to get a 500 PF lens. That was pre covid. I stopped waiting for Nikon to get on board and bring something new. I feel that it takes way to long when they announce a new item and get it in your hands. I have been using Nikon since Film. I finally switched to Canon. It took a while to get everything I needed but not as long as it takes Nikon to get me the newest lens and camera. I still feel a loss of an old friend but happy with my decision. Good luck to getting all your new Nikon gear as soon as possible and enjoy shooting.

I agree, I am disappointed in my D6 also, not the camera and auto focus system I thought is should be.

Thom Hogan prefers the D6 over HIS OWN Sony A1 for outright sports action as the D6 is just sticker, given that the A1 and R3 is slightly sticker than the Z9 based on all that's on the web, this raises some logical realistic assumptions.

If the z9 Is third on the score board and the D6 is stickier than number one on the board............!!!

Tracking ANIMAL CAR BIKE BOAT PLANE HOVERCRAFT SUBMARINE and an endless list of options is just BS marketing, a point of difference.

The Z9 when set up is basically a fully automatic camera requiring really not many skill sets other than being a geek or expert in software settings would help, a Uni degree may also be of benfit .....LOL , you can take a Z9 A1 R3 all set in auto give it to your teenage kids with no experience in photography and if its set up properly they will take as good a picture as anyone.............a bit like an I Phone everyone can use it with perfect results LOL. that is the future.............direction the industry is moving to.

The D6 is deadly in focusing attack and speed at 14 fps which frankly is more than enough, i feel personally.

Many people have never really been able to drive the D6 to its true full potential.

I hope the Z9 makes it all easier for many...............if that's what one is getting ?

I found the D6 to be flawless for sports action in fact anything other than high resolution and heavy crop ability but that's not what it was built for........

I sold my D4s D5 for 2x D850 units one with grip, this meet 90% of all my needs, but when i did need a D6 or exotic glass i would rent especially as its a tax deuction for me as well.

I am so happy with the D850 D5 D6 cameras.........i am really wondering why have even bought a Z9...............mines fully paid for ages ago..........

For me unless the Z9 makes a remarkable difference in what i do and has signifcant benfits i will pass it on very quickly...........

latest from Nikon Rumors is not encouraging. Wonder where all the cameras are?
I think it will be very sad if they blow all the good momentum they have created by not being able to supply the camera in any significant numbers for months. Not surprising given their history (D850, 500 PF, etc.) as well as the current supply chain issues, but disappointing nonetheless.

I preordered the Z9 at two locations the day it was released. I realize by now we’ve been given 2-3 possible ship dates with nothing set in stone. For the life of me I don’t understand if Nikon has a stock of ready to go cameras, why don’t they give a date and stick to it. Perhaps the preorders exceeded their expectation and they’re trying to assemble more units. I called one of the places I preordered from yesterday and was told they don’t expect any will ship before 12/31. I called the other place earlier in the week and was told they really have no idea. No matter what the shipping circumstances or chip shortages, there is absolutely no reason not to give your customers a ship date. I am referring to Nikon, not the vendors. I am not a marketing expert but it shouldn’t be rocket science just to give a date of availability. I am not 100% sure I will even go through with the purchase at this point but the longer they string us alone is most likely going to create hesitancy in their customers. I have always been beyond loyal to Nikon because I’ve liked their products. This last year has really got me disgusted with them. From talking to these two vendors, I have no faith whatsoever these cameras will be available to anyone before the end of the year. Hopefully I’m wrong but time will tell.
I order a Z9 in October. A couple of days ago I was told I could pick it up on the 24th Dec.
Maybe paying for it up front or being a NPS member helps...🦘

Back