Zemlin hoods

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

RichF

Well-known and Infamous Member
Supporting Member
Marketplace
If you recommend, why? For which lens? If recommended, how do decide which size to get?

Thanks, try to decide if I should pull the trigger.

Rich

I use one on my 500 f5.6 PF. Highly recommend. Built like a tank. They are custom made for each lens. He has a mounting bracket for each model. Dropped my lens off a table and it landed on the Zemlin hood. No damage to anything including the hood. I'm trying to get him to build one for my Z 100-400 f4.5-5.6.

Rich, I bought Zemlin for my Z 800mm PF. First I got the lens cap which is terrific. Fits perfectly. Goes on with a pinch mechanism. Protects the front element and I don't need the cloth lens cap by Nikon. Then I got the Zemlin hood - I chose the 4.45 inch hood which is one inch shorter than Nikon's hood - I thought that was a good compromise for me. The hood is well made and is easy to take on and off. It does require installing a band around the front element of the lens - easy to do with the instructions they give and there is a video of how to do this on the Zemlin site.
However I won't be using these for long - I've decided to trade in my 800mm when I get the new 600mm f4 TC. I was hoping to have the lens by now but I still haven't heard anything from NPS about it. I'm sure I'll eventually be getting a Zemlin hood and lens cap for the 600mm.
I am hoping that Zemlin will soon have a replacement hood for the 100-400mm because Nikon's hood feels flimsy to me and not so easy to take on and off.

Maybe a dumb question....I've never heard of Zemlin before so did google and found his site. I can see the lens caps look super sweet and better than the mfr (I shoot canon), but can't quite see why I would replace the lens hoods that came with my Canon glass...wondering why you like them better ???

Like Ivan, I bought the 4.45 inch hood for my 800pf. I prefer the size and the way it connects and releases. Very well made. I had the optional rubber "skid" on the front of the hood, as I often rest it on the ground. (I've always got the original, in perfect condition, if I ever want to sell.)

I have hoods and lens caps for my 400 and 800 and I sent Karl measurements for the 600 yesterday.
He is looking for someone with a copy of the Z 600 f/4 TC VR S in the Continental USA that he can confirm my measurements with and test the pro-type when he has them ready.
Please send me an PM if you want his contact details -- otherwise you can send him a message via the Zemlin website.
I also went for the hoods that were about 1" shorter than those provided by Nikon -- why change the hood -- the cost of the Nikon hood is very high to replace AND I was not happy how the hood for 800PF fitted onto the lens -- the Zemlin solution of a ring fitted to the lens that their hood locks on to is much stronger -- plus, as you can see, I also went for the SKID option for better protection - since I always ride with my 800 between my knees and often stand the camera/lens on its lens.

WM-WM-20220930 154409  B000STACK - X2D 100C XCD 120 - 120 mm  ¹⁄₁₀₀ sec at ƒ - 4.5 ISO 200 ‒ 2...jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I don't see an issue with the included Nikon lens hoods. What is the motivation to replace them with aftermarket?
My experience with Nikon hood, 300 f4 pf, 100-400 f4.5-5.6 and 500 f5.6 pf, is that the mount wears over time and hood fall off when bumped. I tried the Zemlin and was super impressed with the construction and fit. Most people probably don't take hoods on and off enough to wear down the mount. If you do, this is a bulletproof solution.

I bought a Zemlin hood for my Nikon 500 mm PF lens. The 500 mm PF lens has been my most used lens for wildlife since I got it (this may be changing now that I have the Z 100-400 and 800 mm PF). The only thing I did not like about it was the Nikon lens hood. At least with my copy, the hood was tricky to attach, remove, and reverse on the lens.

I bought a Zemlin hood (with the orange skid pad) for the 500 mm PF that was approximately the same length as the Nikon version. Once I realized I was trying to put the mounting bracket on backwards (operator error), it installed easily. The Zemlin hood is easy to attach, remove, and reverse on the lens. It also seems sturdier to me than the Nikon version.

When I got the 800 mm PF lens a couple of months ago, I bought the Zemlin lens cap for it. I like this pinch style lens cap a lot better than the soft hood Nikon provides. It is quicker to put on or take off the lens. It also fits better in my camera backpacks.

When Zemlin developed several lens hoods for the 800 mm PF, I decided to buy one. While the Nikon lens hood that came with the 800 mm PF works better for me than the 500 mm PF Nikon lens hood did, I prefer the way the Zemlin models work.

I decided to get a two-piece lens hood, since when you collapse it, it is smaller for those times when I put the hood in checked luggage. It also gives me the option of a shorter hood if I use only one piece. I picked the version that is approximately the same size as the Nikon hood (when you use both pieces).

I got a fairly early version of the 800 mm PF hood. Karl retroactively gave me the discount for buying both the lens cap and hood (which had not been available when I first got the lens cap). I also had difficulty attaching the mounting ring. I exchanged emails with Karl, who was very responsive. After looking at some photos of how it was not fitting quite right, Karl made a small modification to the bracket and got a new one out to me very quickly. It worked and I’m quite happy with the lens hood. I mention both these points as examples of Karl’s very good customer service.

I believe one reason for different length hoods (probably not the only one) was to be compatible with certain lens feet and plates when the hood was reversed on the lens. This has not been an issue for me with either the 500 mm PF or 800 mm PF, so I chose Zemlin hoods that were approximately the same length as the Nikon hoods.

I highly recommend the Zemlin lens caps and hoods. Got both for my 800mm PF and 400mm TC. My friend has a Canon 600mm f/4 and also loves his Zemlin cap and hood. For the 400TC (and the new 600TC as well as the older F-mount 500, 600) the Zemlin hood attaches via a bayonet mount and is mush easier and (to me) more secure than the small screw mechanism that Nikon and Canon use to attach their super telephoto hoods. The Nikon 800PF hood has a bayonet mount, but I got the Zemlin hood to have a slightly shorter hood for greater mobility.

I have a Zemlin hood for my new 800mm 6.3, and a Zemlin lens cap for my 800mm 6.3, 600 f4 E and my 200-400 f4 vr. I already have a 3D printed lens shade for my 600mm that was made by someone else.

I find that the very long lens shades act like wind sails if there is any breeze, plus make it more difficult to maneuver my long lenses around when shooting from a vehicle. The lens shades I bought for both the 800mm 6.3 and the 600mm f4 are half the length of the original Nikon hood. Half length is enough to protect the objective when walking about and to prevent flair unless I am facing into the sun, while being short enough to move about in my truck when using the vehicle as a blind.

Like others, I highly recommend Zemlin hoods, and even more the pinch lens caps for the big primes. When I got my first super (400mm f2.8 AF-S v1), it only had the inner hood, and the tiny little boss that holds the lock was missing an even tinier screw to hold it to the lens. He listed a hood for the 400mm VR (2 iterations newer than mine), so I contacted him to see if that would work. He offered that I could return it if it didn't fit. It did fit, I couldn't be happier.

Also bought a hood for my 500mm PF that I got used, mint except for a cracked hood the PO tried to glue. Due to the crack, the latch was finicky. So, Zemlin hood for it!

As far as what size - I went with the 2-piece for my 400mm to keep the "stock" look (weird reason?). Nice thing is, I can run with just the inner piece and it still fits in my LowePro 600 Lens Trekker. And at the time I bought the hood for the 500mm PF, he only offered the one length, and I'm happy with that.

I also have his pinch caps for the 400mm and 600mm f4G, and they are SO much easier and convenient than the "sack" protectors that Nikon provide.

Great guy, great customer service.

If you recommend, why? For which lens? If recommended, how do decide which size to get?

Thanks, try to decide if I should pull the trigger.

Rich
I've purchased a few things from him, caps and eyepieces and just today got the newest eyepiece for the Z9. It fits perfect and I love it! He makes great stuff so I have no doubt you will be happy with the products!

Also got a couple packs of smarties in todays shipment from him so that alone is worth it! 😉

Makes me wonder if he's saying I'm smart ordering his products...or I need all the help I can get! :oops:
When I picked Smarties for the "thank-you treat", I wasn't being nearly that clever. They're inexpensive, won't melt, and seem to travel well. :) They were always one of my favorites at Halloween.

Thanks all for the kind words! When I started this little side gig, I NEVER expected it to take off like it has. Y'all keep me real busy!

When I picked Smarties for the "thank-you treat", I wasn't being nearly that clever. They're inexpensive, won't melt, and seem to travel well. :) They were always one of my favorites at Halloween.

Thanks all for the kind words! When I started this little side gig, I NEVER expected it to take off like it has. Y'all keep me real busy!
I think you’ll be needing more help soon, great stuff👍

... can't quite see why I would replace the lens hoods that came with my Canon glass...wondering why you like them better ???
There are a few reasons, but they might not apply to you.
  • Keep the OE hood in good shape to preserve resale
  • The screw clamp often falls apart on hoods and is fiddly to repair/replace. My hoods don't have the screw clamp.
  • My hoods are faster and easier to mount and reverse.
  • Hoods for older lenses are hard to find. I make them for rare and discontinued lenses.
  • Many folks want a hood that's shorter than the OE - easier if using the car as a blind, on safari, or whatever.
  • I also make hoods that are longer than OE for the longer focal length lenses. Some folks have applications where they want the maximum possible hoodage
  • My hoods are much less expensive than OE. If you fear losing a hood - leaving it somewhere, it's less to lose.
and an additional bonus, the lock ring that mounts on the end of the lens will help protect the lens from bumps and scratches. The function of the ring won't be impacted if it gets beat up a bit.

Thanks everyone. This is very helpful. I already ordered the lens caps. One these arrive I’ll order the lens hood, a bit shorter that the orginal

I have hoods and lens caps for my 400 and 800 and I sent Karl measurements for the 600 yesterday.
He is looking for someone with a copy of the Z 600 f/4 TC VR S in the Continental USA that he can confirm my measurements with and test the pro-type when he has them ready.
Please send me an PM if you want his contact details -- otherwise you can send him a message via the Zemlin website.
I also went for the hoods that were about 1" shorter than those provided by Nikon -- why change the hood -- the cost of the Nikon hood is very high to replace AND I was not happy how the hood for 800PF fitted onto the lens -- the Zemlin solution of a ring fitted to the lens that their hood locks on to is much stronger -- plus, as you can see, I also went for the SKID option for better protection - since I always ride with my 800 between my knees and often stand the camera/lens on its lens.

View attachment 50104
Hello,
Was awaiting RRS arca foot replacement for my 400TC but the foot is backordered (?for how long who knows). Always liked their equipment but I see you have the Zenelli carbon fiber foot. What do you think of it? Worth the price difference? And not to pelt you with too many questions but since I see you also use some RRS equipment, why did you opt for the Zenelli gimbal? Thank you for sharing your experience and images.
Phil

Hello,
Was awaiting RRS arca foot replacement for my 400TC but the foot is backordered (?for how long who knows). Always liked their equipment but I see you have the Zenelli carbon fiber foot. What do you think of it? Worth the price difference? And not to pelt you with too many questions but since I see you also use some RRS equipment, why did you opt for the Zenelli gimbal? Thank you for sharing your experience and images.
Phil
Yes - it is worth it - but then I am both in Europe and biased, since I helped develop it.

I have a Zemlin hood for both my 500 f5.6 PF and my 400 f2.8E FL VR.

I got the hood for my 400 f2.8E FL VR for two reasons:
1) It is 100gms lighter - less weight way out in front of the lens keeping the balance slightly better.
2) It is much faster to mount as there is no need to use the screw clamp, just twist and click.

I got the hood for the 500 PF as it is faster to take on and off and it is sturdier.

If these points are important to you, then I recommend the hoods.

Last edited:
I have a Zemlin hood for both my 500 f5.6 PF and my 400 f2.8E FL VR.

I got the hood for my 400 f2.8E FL VR for two reasons:
1) It is 100gms lighter - less weight way out in front of the lens keeping the balance slightly better.
2) It is much faster to mount as there is no need to use the screw clamp.

I got the hood for the 500 PF as it is faster to take on and off and it is sturdier.

If these points are important to you, then I recommend the hoods.
How did you pick a length. Key factors?

How did you pick a length. Key factors?
There are 5 options for the length of the 400's hood and I chose to get the same as the original hood.

There are 3 options for the length of the 500's hood and again I chose the same as the original hood.

I had no reason to select another length.

Karl Zemlin has just emailed me to confirm that he hopes to add Zemlin Hoods for the Z 600mm f/4 TC VR S-line to his web site this week. I will share "after I have ordered mine"!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Why would someone not order a Zemlin hood to match Nikon's original dimensions?

If it matters based on which manufacturer's Arca Swiss replacement foot was used, can anyone help with suggestions to match hood length with foot, particularly RRS vs. Zenelli vs. Kirk which are the three I am considering fot the Z 400 2.8TC. The RRS looks closest to Nikon foot dimensions.... The others look longer so maybe they would require a shorter hood?

First hand experiences anyone?

Back