Zemlin hoods

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Standard length and yes. I bought a short 400 F/4.5 Zemlin hood and thinking of adding a std length hood (same as Nikon hood)
Thanks!! I got the standard length for my 500/4E and was thinking along the same lines with the 100-400. I do wonder why the Nikon hood has petals if the standard Zemlin does not vignette...

I bought the long Zemlin hood for my Z 100-400. Like it. Reverses for travel even with an RRS foot on lens.

I used the lens with that hood in Alaska in February (Kachemak Bay) with some snow and rain and wind. Used it in Barkley Sound in Vancouver Island in March with some wind and rain. I got the long version hoping it would better keep rain and snow off the front element. And it did a great job.

Given the size of the lens and hood, I did not find any problems in windy conditions. That could be more of an issue with some of the bigger primes like my Z 800 mm PF. For that one I got a two piece Zemlin hood — smaller for travel when taken off and collapsed and offers ability to use only one piece in conditions where shorter works better.

Based on my experience with the Zemlin hood on the Z 100-400, I have also ordered a long version for my Z 400 f4.5 lens.

I'm seriously considering a Zemlin hood for the Nikon Z 100-400 and would like some feedback on hood length....for those who've bought....which length did you choose and would you choose it again?
I bought the 2.36 inch hood. Plenty of hood for me. Haven't had any flare or other issues. It is long enough to provide protection. It has great fit as all the hoods do that Carl makes. They are so much tougher than the Nikon hoods. I never worry about banging it against things.

I bought the long Zemlin hood for my Z 100-400. Like it. Reverses for travel even with an RRS foot on lens.

I used the lens with that hood in Alaska in February (Kachemak Bay) with some snow and rain and wind. Used it in Barkley Sound in Vancouver Island in March with some wind and rain. I got the long version hoping it would better keep rain and snow off the front element. And it did a great job.

Given the size of the lens and hood, I did not find any problems in windy conditions. That could be more of an issue with some of the bigger primes like my Z 800 mm PF. For that one I got a two piece Zemlin hood — smaller for travel when taken off and collapsed and offers ability to use only one piece in conditions where shorter works better.

Based on my experience with the Zemlin hood on the Z 100-400, I have also ordered a long version for my Z 400 f4.5 lens.

I bought the 2.36 inch hood. Plenty of hood for me. Haven't had any flare or other issues. It is long enough to provide protection. It has great fit as all the hoods do that Carl makes. They are so much tougher than the Nikon hoods. I never worry about banging it against things.

Ah...two great rationals for the hood I did not buy.... :)
I ended up getting the standard version. Mostly bc I don't have an issue with the Nikon Hood length and secondly because I had similar arguments in my head but ultimately decided the best compromise was the middle size. I was expecting a more robust version vs the Nikon which is great to hear and a main reason I chose to get a Zemlin hood. Thanks for the input.

Last edited:
Not a fashion statement, but rather the petal shape gives the impression of higher level of design :sneaky:
Well it does make me wonder how they arrive at the depth and width of those petals - was some brainiac math wizard behind the design, or was it just pulled outta you know where? :)
(ie, fashion catalog)

Last edited:
Why would someone not order a Zemlin hood to match Nikon's original dimensions?

If it matters based on which manufacturer's Arca Swiss replacement foot was used, can anyone help with suggestions to match hood length with foot, particularly RRS vs. Zenelli vs. Kirk which are the three I am considering fot the Z 400 2.8TC. The RRS looks closest to Nikon foot dimensions.... The others look longer so maybe they would require a shorter hood?

First hand experiences anyone?
Well... I have the Nikon 600mm f/4G VR. It comes with a 2 piece hood. The outer most piece is so wide, that it does not fit in my Mindshift Backlight 36L. Therefore, I cannot carry the hood in the backpack at all and forget about having it on reversed. I looked for a different backpack, but the only ones I could find that were deep enough for the hood were too large to carry on a plane. This is why I am considering a smaller hood. But I have no idea how short I can go without inviting image quality issues.

Just ordered the Hood/Cap combo for my Z 800mm PF. If it's as good as I expect it to be, I will later get one for the S 100-400mm and maybe the 500pf if I keep it.

Well... I have the Nikon 600mm f/4G VR. It comes with a 2 piece hood. The outer most piece is so wide, that it does not fit in my Mindshift Backlight 36L. Therefore, I cannot carry the hood in the backpack at all and forget about having it on reversed. I looked for a different backpack, but the only ones I could find that were deep enough for the hood were too large to carry on a plane. This is why I am considering a smaller hood. But I have no idea how short I can go without inviting image quality issues.
I would suggest that the length offered by Zemlin for the 600 f4E FL VR should work with your 600 f4G VR. So, looking at the Zemlin site, the 600 f4E FL VR replacement hood is the 206mm long version - the first one shown here:

Unfortunately, it looks as though there is no similar length for the 600 f4G VR. So, you either get the shorter version which is 158mm long (which is probably fine) or it might be worth sending an email to Karl and ask him what the diameter of the two piece collapsible hoods are so that either may fit in your backpack.

I would suggest that the length offered by Zemlin for the 600 f4E FL VR should work with your 600 f4G VR. So, looking at the Zemlin site, the 600 f4E FL VR replacement hood is the 206mm long version - the first one shown here:

Unfortunately, it looks as though there is no similar length for the 600 f4G VR. So, you either get the shorter version which is 158mm long (which is probably fine) or it might be worth sending an email to Karl and ask him what the diameter of the two piece collapsible hoods are so that either may fit in your backpack.
Thanks. He publishes the width on the website and the 2 piece is too wide.

Length on the 600 VR is limited because of the foot mount toward the front of the lens. 158mm is as long as it can get and still reverse for storage. Consider this longer than the hood Nikon sells with the new Z 600mm TC lens. I would think it is low risk. A lot of customers order much shorter hoods and I've had only a few decide that they went too short.
There are two versions at 158mm - the first has a thick rim so a standard lenscoat sleeve for the original HK-35 hood will fit. At the bottom of the page there is a second 158mm hood - lighter weight because of the thinner rim, and $10 cheaper.

Length on the 600 VR is limited because of the foot mount toward the front of the lens. 158mm is as long as it can get and still reverse for storage. Consider this longer than the hood Nikon sells with the new Z 600mm TC lens. I would think it is low risk. A lot of customers order much shorter hoods and I've had only a few decide that they went too short.
There are two versions at 158mm - the first has a thick rim so a standard lenscoat sleeve for the original HK-35 hood will fit. At the bottom of the page there is a second 158mm hood - lighter weight because of the thinner rim, and $10 cheaper.
Ah, of course. I forgot about the lens foot getting in the way when the hood is reversed for storage. Explains the two-piece hood requirement.

Thank you for the great information.

After affixing the ring to my 500/4 lens I have a suggestion for Zemlin....make a 2mm gauge block to allow accurate tightening of the screw.

I had not quite tightened the screw enough to close the gap to 2mm (it was maybe 3mm) before I installed the hood. It went on okay, bit harder than I thought it should, but getting it off was a challenge. So, I got my verniers out and further tightened the screw (vernier now reads 1.96mm). Big difference in the ease of taking the hood off.

I was not really sure how well the screw would tighten before stripping the threads so that's why I stopped short at 3mm gap. Clearly there is no potential thread stripping issue closing the gap to 2mm but a 2mm gauge block would eliminate guesswork. That said, I would not let this stop me from buying...it's a really nice product.

I recently received a hood for my 100-400. Top quality, as always, like it much better than the stock petal hood that the lens shipped with.

For those of you with Zemlin hoods and AlphaGvrd skins: I contacted AlphaGvrd, and they will cut you a custom sized piece(s) to fit the hood. I say "pieces", because for whatever reason, they can't quite cut one large enough to go in one piece around the hood, so I had them cut it in two. The vinyl skin sticks perfectly well to the Zemlin hood material.

I recently received a hood for my 100-400. Top quality, as always, like it much better than the stock petal hood that the lens shipped with.

For those of you with Zemlin hoods and AlphaGvrd skins: I contacted AlphaGvrd, and they will cut you a custom sized piece(s) to fit the hood. I say "pieces", because for whatever reason, they can't quite cut one large enough to go in one piece around the hood, so I had them cut it in two. The vinyl skin sticks perfectly well to the Zemlin hood material.
The hood for the 100-400 is the other item I got yesterday. Like you, I much prefer the Zemlin.

After affixing the ring to my 500/4 lens I have a suggestion for Zemlin....make a 2mm gauge block to allow accurate tightening of the screw.

I had not quite tightened the screw enough to close the gap to 2mm (it was maybe 3mm) before I installed the hood. It went on okay, bit harder than I thought it should, but getting it off was a challenge. So, I got my verniers out and further tightened the screw (vernier now reads 1.96mm). Big difference in the ease of taking the hood off.

I was not really sure how well the screw would tighten before stripping the threads so that's why I stopped short at 3mm gap. Clearly there is no potential thread stripping issue closing the gap to 2mm but a 2mm gauge block would eliminate guesswork. That said, I would not let this stop me from buying...it's a really nice product.
Thanks so much for this information. The Zemlin hood on my 400 f4.5 takes a bit extra effort to take it off. I'll try reducing that gap..........

Thanks so much for this information. The Zemlin hood on my 400 f4.5 takes a bit extra effort to take it off. I'll try reducing that gap..........
Yes - It starts to get tight to turn and it kinda makes you wonder if you should stop.
I just measured 7 average business cards and they came to 1.99mm so that might help if (like me) you have no metric ruler...

Geoff- Karl has a video that explains tightening tolerance using the supplied tool. A good video with the detail about the clearance at the 10 minute mark.

Back