Zemlin hoods

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Vignetting is not a concern with a short hood. For a hood to vignette on an 800mm lens, it would need to be around 400mm long, so not an issue on an 800mm lens.
Longer hoods keep water off the front element when shooting in rain, snow, or water spray. If you only shoot with the sun at your back a short hood is not likely any concern. Once direct light starts to land on the front element the image can start to wash out, so the shorter you go the greater the likelihood that this can happen. Coatings on new lenses are very good, so that helps mitigate the issue.

I got a short (just over 3 inches) aftermarket 3D printed hood for my Sony 600 f4 from a guy named John Wolff. It may be a placebo effect but I swear I’ve gotten consistently better shots since receiving it (about 7 weeks ago). If that’s true I think it’s because the lens is just thaaaat much more stable and easier to handle this way.

Vignetting is not a concern with a short hood. For a hood to vignette on an 800mm lens, it would need to be around 400mm long, so not an issue on an 800mm lens.
Longer hoods keep water off the front element when shooting in rain, snow, or water spray. If you only shoot with the sun at your back a short hood is not likely any concern. Once direct light starts to land on the front element the image can start to wash out, so the shorter you go the greater the likelihood that this can happen. Coatings on new lenses are very good, so that helps mitigate the issue.
Thank you Karl. I will be ordering a hood and cap as soon as I know my 800 is on the way

I have the design done for the Nikon 400mm f/4.5, but I'm shutting down sales on my site on Monday the 19th - I'm not going to drop a new product and then close the doors. I will list the new hoods on the site during my break. I will resume sales on January 2nd. Thank you all.

_KZ08257-1600.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

I got a short (just over 3 inches) aftermarket 3D printed hood for my Sony 600 f4 from a guy named John Wolff. It may be a placebo effect but I swear I’ve gotten consistently better shots since receiving it (about 7 weeks ago). If that’s true I think it’s because the lens is just thaaaat much more stable and easier to handle this way.

The placebo effect is real though.

So the Zemlin hood I ordered for my Nikon 200-500mm arrived today, and I could not be happier. Aside from being much more robust that the OEM hood, attaching it seems stronger and like it latches tighter. Plus it's smaller in diameter at the front end so it fits in my Lowepro lens case better.

And don't forget the 2 packs of Smarties!

Thanks, Karl!

Last edited:
grabbed a set of caps and corresponding hoods (the longer than OEM version because why not get something different than straight replacements.) very nice out of the box, and simple to install. can't imagine why a cap isn't standard on these extra large lenses, it's so much easier to deal with. interested to see how long they last. 3D printing is amazing.

I love my Zemlin hoods for my Sony 600 f.4. He makes 4 lengths for that lens. 70mm 97mm 132mm and 165mm which is the same size as the stock hood. I bought the 97mm for my short hood and I love that length btw, and the 165mm length which is the stock length I use in poor weather conditions. I bought 2 hoods so I don’t have to remove the mounting bracket each time I want to change hoods. I was considering the 70mm, but that seems so short, lol.

I have no issues with the Nikon hood on my 800mm PF but the special Nikon lens cover is a bit difficult to quickly remove from the lens. I switched to use the LensCoat 3x-Large Hoodie lens hood cover that works for lens 6.25" to 7" in diameter that I had used with my 600mm f/4E lens. This hoodie lens cover works perfectly and is sell for $28.

I have no issues with the Nikon hood on my 800mm PF but the special Nikon lens cover is a bit difficult to quickly remove from the lens. I switched to use the LensCoat 3x-Large Hoodie lens hood cover that works for lens 6.25" to 7" in diameter that I had used with my 600mm f/4E lens. This hoodie lens cover works perfectly and is sell for $28.
I, too, like using the LensCoat hoodies!

This morning, I received the lens hood and cap for my Sony 600mm f4 GM, delivered by Fedex, here in France.
Everything is in order from a delivery point of view.
I have to install them and test them in the field.
@zemlin Karl, thanks for the quick manufacturing and shipping and happy end of the year.

Last edited:
Just installed hoods on my 180-400 and 800 F/6.3. Slightly differ procedure but other than fumble fingers when I dropped the tiny allen key several times, all went smoothly.

Just installed hoods on my 180-400 and 800 F/6.3. Slightly differ procedure but other than fumble fingers when I dropped the tiny allen key several times, all went smoothly.
I have some arthritis in my thumb joints which is moderately painful most of the time....seems "dropped the tiny Allen key several times" has become a national past time for me....lol

I'm seriously considering a Zemlin hood for the Nikon Z 100-400 and would like some feedback on hood length....for those who've bought....which length did you choose and would you choose it again?

I'm seriously considering a Zemlin hood for the Nikon Z 100-400 and would like some feedback on hood length....for those who've bought....which length did you choose and would you choose it again?
Standard length and yes. I bought a short 400 F/4.5 Zemlin hood and thinking of adding a std length hood (same as Nikon hood)

Back