600mm PF or 800mm PF???

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I love the 400 f4.5 and it does work well with the 1.4tc. I went out today to shoot BIF with the 600pf and I have to say it is another level higher in terms of IQ. The lens feels great in the hands and is very quick. Nice also that it is at its best wide open. On the way back I put on the 1.4tc to see how it did. While not as stellar as the bare lens it was still quite sharp and I could get good results. I have never mastered monopods and don’t care for them so I will likely stay with the 600pf and the 400pf with both TCs. Both lenses handle the same and are perfect for me with the z8 of which I now have two. If I get too old to hike I’ll sell all the small glass and get a tripod and a 600tc and park myself somewhere. I do have a friend who uses a monopod with the big f4 glass and he is really good with it. He is 20 years younger than me and very fit. I’m satisfied with my limits.
The 400pf mentioned is probably the Z400 f/4.5 which is not a pf lens, just mentioning for others who may see this it looks like a typo ... I have made so many I can not count even with my boots off :) I need to get busy tomorrow and sell my Wife's Z400 f /4.5 she is telling me her Z7II is now married to her new Z28-400.

One other aspect that I consider is cost and amount of use I expect to get with any given lens. Cost vary from $1,697 for the 180-600mm up to $15,497 for the 600mm f/4 TC lens. The 600mm PF at $4,287 is a good value but I would expect better IQ than with a 400mm f/4.5 that sells for $3,000.

With bird life in the Western US most of my subjects are too small to photograph with less than 800mm focal length. For me the choice between a $16,000 7.2 lb lens and a $6,000 5.2 lb lens to have 800mm was not a difficult decision.

I admire your ability. I wish I could say the same. I have handled that lens and know I could not handhold it for long periods. Also I tend to prefer 600mm as a base for overall bird photography. That being said I did put a 1.4tc on the 600pf today to photograph a great horned owl. Will have to see how it turned out. A bit dark so no doubt the 800pf would have done better.
We are all different ... my wife and I are both 75 I am blessed with the ability to do that and she has back, hand, knee and hip issues that keep her very weight restricted. They are the result of being hit by a car when she was 6 and back then not much was known about how to prevent future problems as things healed.

My wife was not keen to use DSLR cameras and lenses with their weight. She has been using MFT mirrorless cameras and lenses that weigh less than half as much. My last trip to Costa Rica my 32L backpack weighed 37 lbs while her MFT kit in a 18L backpack weighed half as much.

Hi At present I am using Z9,500PF +1.4TC as my longest lens . Am in doubt whether to go for the 600PF or 800PF? price is a bit of a factor,but not critical. As I do mostly BIF ,my 500+tc gives me 700mm @F8, so 800 @ 6.3 would be a bonus. I use the 500PF @ 5.6 when light is not good, think 600 @6.3 would be pushing it a bit?? I use DXO Raw3/Topaz denoise & ISO 6400 is max for most shots. I do crop as cannot always get close enough for what I want to show. Weight is also an issue as not young anymore,and the 180-600 is too heavy for handholding,600 0r 800 are fine ,as far as weight goes. Think the 800 is as heavy as my old 200-500,but balances better. Any feedback is welcome. Also I normally have my 300PF on my D850,so have 2 cameras with mostly.
If you can handle shooting BIF at 800mm and the size of that lens doesn’t bother you than that’s the one I’d buy.

600 One other aspect that I consider is cost and amount of use I expect to get with any given lens. Cost vary from $1,697 for the 180-600mm up to $15,497 for the 600mm f/4 TC lens. The 600mm PF at $4,287 is a good value but I would expect better IQ than with a 400mm f/4.5 that sells for $3,000.

With bird life in the Western US most of my subjects are too small to photograph with less than 800mm focal length. For me the choice between a $16,000 7.2 lb lens and a $6,000 5.2 lb lens to have 800mm was not a difficult decision.
I agree with this response. I would only add that the price of quality is generally higher the longer the focal length. The 400 as I understand is easier and cheaper to design and build than 600. Also wider aperture lenses have more and bigger glass which is both more expensive and heavier. The 600mm pf is sharper at 600mm than the 400 with the 1.4x tc but the 600mm of course can't do anything under 600. Use of fresnel elements in the PF lenses is in a sense "cheating" lens design science because it allows the building of quality lenses using less glass, resulting in both lighter and cheaper lenses.

For those owning the 800mm PF a practical question. I have my lens on the way and in an unbox video did I see that the lens is supplied with a soft bag.
Is that big enough to hold the lens with a Z8 attached to it so I can take it this way for travel?
Thx for the feedback.

For those owning the 800mm PF a practical question. I have my lens on the way and in an unbox video did I see that the lens is supplied with a soft bag.
Is that big enough to hold the lens with a Z8 attached to it so I can take it this way for travel?
Thx for the feedback.
It’s a really solid tube case with a solid bottom and sling design. You can easily store the lens attached to a z8 and transport/carry the lens with it. See: https://www.nikonusa.com/p/cl-l3-lens-case/4266/overview

Thx for the feedback.
Yes indeed BUT only with the hood reversed on the lens in the transport mode. It is a handy and light i.e. useful case.

Yes indeed BUT only with the hood reversed on the lens in the transport mode. It is a handy and light i.e. useful case.
You're correct that it is really designed with the hood reversed rather than utilization for rapid access. I don't know too many bags which will carry a z8+800+ hood in shooting position (~23") other than the Lowepro Lens Trekker 600, the Ruggard and other knock offs?

The case that comes with the 800mm pf is quite nice and I use it all the time for storing and transporting the lens. It is well-secured and protected in the bag. Will also hold the lens with Z9 attached. Reversing the hood is quick and easy. The bag has a rigid base and includes a substantial soft pouch that fits over the reversed lens hood and provides additional cushioning.

The front glass element on the lens is very large and potentially vulnerable if the lens is mishandled. Having the lens hood in place provides substantial protection. Zemlin also makes an after market lens cap that is strongly recommended. It is substantial, holds firmly in place and provides additional good protection to the lens.

The lens hood that comes with the lens is quite large. It is rigid and requires a lot of room in a transport bag. For air travel some choose to leave the hood at home and use an aftermarket soft folding lens hood. Another option is to pack the lens hood separately in checked luggage.

The lens Is easier to fit into a photo backpack if you leave the hood detached. For this use the Zemlin lens cap is in my opinion essential added protection.

As @wotan1 noted the case that comes with the Z800 is quite nice. I have carried Z800 with Z9 attached many times with my 2 piece Zemlin hood reversed and the Zemlin snap on lens cap in place. I like the 2 piece hood since if the wind starts howling I can eliminate almost all of the "sail" effect by taking the front part off (I take my belt off and thread it through the front half and have it behind me).

I recently got a custom made padded, versatile and sturdy Vertex Photo bag from measurements I took for John Stanford the owner and craftsman. It is specifically designed for Z800 and Z9 to use with the hood deployed in shooting position. It can be strapped into my suv passenger seat in an upright position with fast accessibility from top, front or side. Or if I have a passenger it can be strapped down flat on the back seat. It has plenty of external storage pockets for my BR strap, extra batteries etc..

I communicated via e mail and phone with John and he custom made an amazing bag just for my set up and he followed up a couple of times to make sure all was okay after I got it.

Last edited:
I was going to mention the two-piece lens hood suggested by Ken Miracle. I ordered one a few weeks ago and it was shipped and should arrive in one or two days.

The vertex bag looks interesting As do the bean bag and mount for a gimbal.

As @wotan1 noted the case that comes with the Z800 is quite nice. I have carried Z800 with Z9 attached many times with my 2 piece Zemlin hood reversed and the Zemlin snap on lens cap in place. I like the 2 piece hood since if the wind starts howling I can eliminate almost all of the "sail" effect by taking the front part off (I take my belt off and thread it through the front half and have it behind me).

I recently got a custom made padded, versatile and sturdy Vertex Photo bag from measurements I took for John Stanford the owner and craftsman. It is specifically designed for Z800 and Z9 to use with the hood deployed in shooting position. It can be strapped into my suv passenger seat in an upright position with fast accessibility from top, front or side. Or if I have a passenger it can be strapped down flat on the back seat. It has plenty of external storage pockets for my BR strap, extra batteries etc..

I communicated via e mail and phone with John and he custom made and amazing bag just for me and he followed up a couple of times to make sure all was okay after I got it.

I have had a Vertex molar bag for 13 years. Took it on a number of trips and left it in my car much of this time. It still works as well as when I first got it. Currently use it with the Z9 and 800mm pf lens.

Back