Back Button Focus Has Become Useless

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

@Steve has never said irregardless.

I'm not sure irregardless is even a word, but all cameras are computers now, you can pretty much assign a choice of several buttons to activate any function. The camera doesn't care what button you set to activate autofocus, it run the same program whether you assign it to the shutter button or to af-on or any other button within the allowable choices. In the manual for my Canon it shows 6 buttons that can be set to run AF and wake up the meter.

I'm not sure irregardless is even a word, but all cameras are computers now, you can pretty much assign a choice of several buttons to activate any function. The camera doesn't care what button you set to activate autofocus, it run the same program whether you assign it to the shutter button or to af-on or any other button within the allowable choices. In the manual for my Canon it shows 6 buttons that can be set to run AF and wake up the meter.
yup and some lenses even have a focus button

I just re-checked a picture of the back of the new Z9. I am amazed by what I see. An AF-ON button in both portrait and landscape orientation! What, do you recon, is up with that?

Its been made quite clear to me by the discussions around the Z9 3.0 update that removing AF from the shutter button in most cases is shooting yourself in the foot. If 99% of the photos you take require focusing first then why set up your camera to add an extra step to initiate AF? I fully understand landscape and astro require focus to be locked but those situations dont require AF at all. I personally dabble in almost all genres of photography and the vast majority of time AF is needed before every shot so I dont see a reason to setup a camera to REQUIRE 2 fingers to do what can be done with 1. Its far more efficient to lock focus for the rare times you actually need to than to add a step for the 10,000 times you dont. BBAF also removes options for button assignment that could otherwise be put to use changing af modes. I ditched BBAF when I got the D500 and a week after that I felt silly for ever using it in the first place. It's just my 2 cents but I think people would benefit by moving away from BBAF.

To me it's a personal choice up to each photographer and the camera vendors are kind enough to allow the flexibility to use BBAF or to use shutter activated AF as each user sees fit.

I'd also say your title borders on trolling as it implies there is one and only one correct way to approach this which really isn't accurate. Your disclaimer at the end comes after the inflammatory title.

personally, I prefer BBAF. I switched to it 5 years ago, and when I got the z6 tried to get back to shutter release. Nope. Not for me.
It’s absolutely personal choice, in a way that some car drivers prefer manual shift to auto.
it’s neither right, nor wrong, it’s choice.
does it add a step? To what? i shoot 50/50 AF-S and AF-C. Bbaf allows me both when I have af-c set. Just release the button and no more cl saves me a lot of time.

if this thread leads to argument, I will delete it.

To me it's a personal choice up to each photographer and the camera vendors are kind enough to allow the flexibility to use BBAF or to use shutter activated AF as each user sees fit.

I'd also say your title borders on trolling as it implies there is one and only one correct way to approach this which really isn't accurate. Your disclaimer at the end comes after the inflammatory title.
Of course its a personal choice. The idea of the post is to make people rethink how they shoot. That's best accomplished by implying there might be a better way. You do want people to reconsider how they setup their camera dont you?

I agree with DRwyoming. There are a myriad of ways to set up our cameras and each one of us uses this flexibility to tailor things to meet our personal preferred settings. This same logic could be applied to metering, focusing, etc, etc.

Instead, I suggest we be open and receptive and non-judgemental to all methods used to capture images.

i think it's more a combination of how your brain works plus your shooting context. personally bbf works well for my brain although i've most recently switched to what folks are calling "hybrid", but imo even though it's not strictly bbf, i see it as leveraging my bbf brain wiring.

that said, if it wasn't for the ability to do things like hybrid, i'd probably still be happily using bbf.

Of course its a personal choice. The idea of the post is to make people rethink how they shoot. That's best accomplished by implying there might be a better way. You do want people to reconsider how they setup their camera dont you?
That's fine, then perhaps a title that reflects that instead of one that asserts a singular conclusion might have been better.

For instance you might have opened with a title like: 'Why I moved away from BBAF' or something like that but your title is all but the definition of trolling which is posting something that some or many will find inflammatory in the hopes of spurring discussion.

I know "zombie thread" here. But I do want to take this opportunity to say there are always 2 ways to accomplish any task. My way, and the wrong way.

OK, that was a joke. Carry on. :)

In what way?
fast erratic action results in big, fast and abrupt arm motions to track. and when using a fixed af point mode like group or single or a small af box when the dog is flying, it's important to control when you are on and off af. with big arm motions it's hard to control half-press. and you want to get on AF and let it sit on target before you start shooting, so you don't want to just mash the shutter.

fast erratic action results in big, fast and abrupt arm motions to track. and when using a fixed af point mode like group or single or a small af box when the dog is flying, it's important to control when you are on and off af. with big arm motions it's hard to control half-press. and you want to get on AF and let it sit on target before you start shooting, so you don't want to just mash the shutter.
So do you STILL use those focus modes or are you using subject detection to keep focus point on target?.... I mean for the majority of time.

So do you STILL use those focus modes or are you using subject detection to keep focus point on target?.... I mean for the majority of time.
with the move from the d500 to the z9, i've moved to subject detection modes primarily. i may use different ones like a custom size box in a specific part of the frame or 3d tracking, but almost always a tracking mode and almost never as small as i had to use with the dslr.

this reduces the brain cycles and effort i previously spent on keeping that small af point where i needed and makes it feasible for me to re-purpose my bbf brain to leverage hybrid tracking modes

i will add that some folks are still using very small boxes/modes for action because in certain cases subject detection can let you down and imo everything i said about the d500 and bbf would apply there even with the new cameras.

with the move from the d500 to the z9, i've moved to subject detection modes primarily. i may use different ones like a custom size box in a specific part of the frame or 3d tracking, but almost always a tracking mode and almost never as small as i had to use with the dslr.

this reduces the brain cycles and effort i previously spent on keeping that small af point where i needed and makes it feasible for me to re-purpose my bbf brain to leverage hybrid tracking modes

i will add that some folks are still using very small boxes/modes for action because in certain cases subject detection can let you down and imo everything i said about the d500 and bbf would apply there even with the new cameras.
If you need to revert back to smaller non tracking focus points wouldnt it be handy to have your thumb free to reposition the points while being perfectly able to focus and shoot? I dont have any AF mode tied to my thumb that COULD require moving a focus box/point. It seems to me that the physical setup of the camera buttons almost support this. Again, whatever floats your boat but I feel like AF is by default on the shutter finger and the joystick is on the thumb for a reason.

If you need to revert back to smaller non tracking focus points wouldnt it be handy to have your thumb free to reposition the points while being perfectly able to focus and shoot? I dont have any AF mode tied to my thumb that COULD require moving a focus box/point. It seems to me that the physical setup of the camera buttons almost support this. Again, whatever floats your boat but I feel like AF is by default on the shutter finger and the joystick is on the thumb for a reason.
based on myself and the type of action i shoot, i do not feel it is realistic to try to adjust af points in the middle of an action sequence.

my process was to, based on the dog being queued up, predict the dog's path, move to the location i felt i needed to be, and pre-position the af point, then do the best i could depending on what actually happened.

yes, it is a trade-off to tie up your thumb, and if you can move the af point while a dog runs 25mph, then abruptly jumps straight up in the air, that's cool.

i'm not saying you (or anyone) should adopt bbf, even if you were shooting the kind of action i do and even if you were using the d500. i'm just saying there are pros and cons and you're probably over-looking some of the pros if you make a blanket statement that it's not a valid option.

Dear All, Can’t we leave it at some like bbaf and some don’t? You can argue your preference, but this simply pointless.
I have to admit…with the Z9 I’m using focus on the shutter button with eD tracking and handoff on the rear button. The AF points all over the frame make shutter button work fine in most situations as long as you’ve selected the correct AF area. Still working through Steve’s book though…and I’m sure that some of my settings will end up changed by the time I’m done.

Back