Big Prime - Camera Bags & Backpacks

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

When I learned of the cost to replace a Nikon lens hood for the 600mm f/4E lens I bought a Lenscoat adjustable hood the comes apart and lies flat in the bag.

After a trip to Costa Rica with a 37 lb backpack I started to investigate using a 18L backpack as my "personal item" and transfer 12-15 lbs of weight out of the large backpack. Much easier on my body. It also allows me to temporarily empty the outer pockets on my Bataflae 32L backpack and reduce it by a full inch which makes it possible fit in overhead bins, even the ones used in the Bombardier Q400 and De Havilland Canada Dash 8 planes.

And as promised here some pictures from the MrJanGear Boris M(olle) backpack with following features:
- Molle slots all around the outside
- The shoulder straps can be removed
- The handle can be removed or placed to one of the sides
- Supplied with a full set of dividers
- Supplied with a set of pouches
- Supplied with another set of shoulder straps
- In one of the pouches is an assortment of strips

The backpack is not yet advertised on the website but will be done soon.

IMG_5732.JPEG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Attachments

• IMG_5733.JPEG
    IMG_5733.JPEG
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5734.JPEG
    IMG_5734.JPEG
    1.2 MB · Views: 31
  • IMG_5736.JPEG
    IMG_5736.JPEG
    1.3 MB · Views: 30
  • IMG_5735.JPEG
    IMG_5735.JPEG
    1.5 MB · Views: 106
I splurged on the XL ICU this morning as well when it finally showed back in stock. I don't even have the 60L. I ordered the 50C on the Kickstarter and the XL will fit in it. I just won't be able to use the top access, but I am fine with that because someday I will get the 60L. For me, the NYA line seems the best and with the range of ICU sizes I can use the one bag in a ton of different configurations.

the 60L will probably enter into my gear at some point, but for my needs now, the 50C is just the right size and can be expanded to almost a 60L. We'll see how this plays out in June when my bag comes.

Good luck with yours, I think with the offerings out there.. it was a great choice.

Warning: You may have to do some modifications to the 50C in order to get the XL RCI to fit.

I had the same thought about potentially using the XL RCI in the 50C, so I contacted Nya-Evo support and asked that question. Here is the resonse that I got from Mario:
"... Technically the XL does fit and can work but on the Fj 50-C we have designed it with a sewn in divider - that means in order for the XL to work you will have to cut the sewn in divider to gain that top access in the Fjord 50-C."

So, yes it will fit, but with some caveats...

Yeah. I did the same and got the same response. For now I am going to forgo top access when using the XL. i think it will work for what I want to use it for with the back access. Not worried. But thanks for the heads up.

Looks like a couple of us were thinking about this :)

Bags are always the topic of a lot of discussion, especially once you get some monster wildlife primes.

I wanted to post and allow people to drop pics and descriptions of their setups, and see if we can learn more about the best ways to carry this gear.

Here are some pics of my 600 TC (with the OEM lens hood and cover attached) in a Gura Gear Kiboko 30L.

Note: This is not the 30L+ model with the laptop sleeve. I tested both Kiboko models and found that the 30L+ version had too shallow of a floor depth for my liking. The 600 TC would fit, but it took a fair amount of effort to get the flap to zip closed. Meanwhile, the 600 fit in the 30L model much easier.

View from the top with both butterfly flaps open. 600 TC (and filter pouch) shown on the top. Nikon Z8, Z9 Z 50mm 1.8, Z 70-200 2.8 on the bottom.
IMG_4667.jpg

Close up of 600 TC:
IMG_4674.jpg

Opposite side from the big lens. Left to right: Nikon Z8, Z9, Z 50mm 1.8, Z 70-200 2.8, cable release and rocket blower:
IMG_4669.jpg

View with the flap laying over the 600 TC before zipping it up.
IMG_4676.jpg

When I learned of the cost to replace a Nikon lens hood for the 600mm f/4E lens I bought a Lenscoat adjustable hood the comes apart and lies flat in the bag.

After a trip to Costa Rica with a 37 lb backpack I started to investigate using a 18L backpack as my "personal item" and transfer 12-15 lbs of weight out of the large backpack. Much easier on my body. It also allows me to temporarily empty the outer pockets on my Bataflae 32L backpack and reduce it by a full inch which makes it possible fit in overhead bins, even the ones used in the Bombardier Q400 and De Havilland Canada Dash 8 planes.

I ordered a LensCoat TravelHood to use on my 600 TC, but after receiving it I'm fairly disappointed with the way the product has worked for me.

I found that it's somewhat fiddly to attach, while making sure that it stays aligned with the intended groove AND that it's staying cinched it up tight to the lens. But what bothers me the most is the degree to which the hood is "out of round" once I have attached it. When I first put it on, I'm pretty sure I would have been able to see portions of the lens hood in my shot if I were to take a photograph. Also, it's definitely heavier than I expected, but I haven't done a weight comparison with the original hood yet, but I'm guessing the weight gains/savings are probably marginal.

I'm sure there are some techniques that one could use in an attempt to pre-shape the lens hood into a more cylindrical shape before attaching it to the lens, but I think I am going to return the product for a refund, rather than spend time trying to "shape it" into a better lens hood shape.

Here are some pics of my 600 TC (with the OEM lens hood and cover attached) in a Gura Gear Kiboko 30L.

Note: This is not the 30L+ model with the laptop sleeve. I tested both Kiboko models and found that the 30L+ version had too shallow of a floor depth for my liking. The 600 TC would fit, but it took a fair amount of effort to get the flap to zip closed. Meanwhile, the 600 fit in the 30L model much easier.

View from the top with both butterfly flaps open. 600 TC (and filter pouch) shown on the top. Nikon Z8, Z9 Z 50mm 1.8, Z 70-200 2.8 on the bottom.

Close up of 600 TC:

Opposite side from the big lens. Left to right: Nikon Z8, Z9, Z 50mm 1.8, Z 70-200 2.8, cable release and rocket blower:

View with the flap laying over the 600 TC before zipping it up.

Awesome thank you! I was not aware of that the 30L and 30L+ had a difference in depth. That is good information to have on hand!

Last edited:
Ok, I’ve done a lot of looking, and as best I can tell, the Nya Evo RCI/ICU is the only insert that will fit a 600mm f/4+gripped body+1.4x TC. But if that isn’t correct, someone please let me know before I pay for this dramatically overpriced piece of foam and nylon.

In case people are interested, I think I’m going to skip the Nya backpack and find a more tactical one like Morten Hilmer suggested. I just can’t bring myself to pay $600+ for the Nya backpack and insert.

Ok, I’ve done a lot of looking, and as best I can tell, the Nya Evo RCI/ICU is the only insert that will fit a 600mm f/4+gripped body+1.4x TC. But if that isn’t correct, someone please let me know before I pay for this dramatically overpriced piece of foam and nylon.

In case people are interested, I think I’m going to skip the Nya backpack and find a more tactical one like Morten Hilmer suggested. I just can’t bring myself to pay $600+ for the Nya backpack and insert.

I don't think the Nya Eco with XL ICU will fit a 600 + body + 1.4, but I could be wrong.

The Boris IV is almost as tall, and could not fit my RF 600 + R5 attached, let alone the 1.4x. Perhaps if you cut the ICU open as in this video:

I’m only talking about the RCI. I think I’m going to grab one and use it in a non-Nya backpack. It looks to me like the top of the RCI can stay open, so there’s no reason a 600+1.4+body shouldn’t theoretically fit, assuming the backpack is tall enough. Or am I missing something?

IMG_5991.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG_5991.jpeg
    IMG_5991.jpeg
    274.3 KB · Views: 3
I ordered a LensCoat TravelHood to use on my 600 TC, but after receiving it I'm fairly disappointed with the way the product has worked for me.

I found that it's somewhat fiddly to attach, while making sure that it stays aligned with the intended groove AND that it's staying cinched it up tight to the lens. But what bothers me the most is the degree to which the hood is "out of round" once I have attached it. When I first put it on, I'm pretty sure I would have been able to see portions of the lens hood in my shot if I were to take a photograph. Also, it's definitely heavier than I expected, but I haven't done a weight comparison with the original hood yet, but I'm guessing the weight gains/savings are probably marginal.

I'm sure there are some techniques that one could use in an attempt to pre-shape the lens hood into a more cylindrical shape before attaching it to the lens, but I think I am going to return the product for a refund, rather than spend time trying to "shape it" into a better lens hood shape.
Same experience for me. Sent mine back and ordered a Zemlin hood for my 600 TC. Really like it and fits better in my Gura Gear 30L.

I’m only talking about the RCI. I think I’m going to grab one and use it in a non-Nya backpack. It looks to me like the top of the RCI can stay open, so there’s no reason a 600+1.4+body shouldn’t theoretically fit, assuming the backpack is tall enough. Or am I missing something?

I think you are correct, it would fit if you are comfortable having a portion of your gear hanging out of the top of the ICU

I am not comfortable with that, so for me it's much easier just to keep the equipment apart (body + lens + TC) until needed

Ok, shipping is $34. That pushes the price to an obscene $220 for the insert alone. Like most photographers, I have an unhealthy obsession with bags, but that is far beyond any reasonable price.

Yeah everything from Nya Evo is stupid expensive... luckily the reviews have been stellar and I've yet to see a single negative thing other than price. Seems like a buy it for life product.

$700 is a lot easier to swallow over 10, 20 years of continued use.

I think you are correct, it would fit if you are comfortable having a portion of your gear hanging out of the top of the bag.

I am not comfortable with that, so for me it's much easier just to keep the equipment apart (body + lens + TC) until needed

Yeah everything from Nya Evo is stupid expensive... luckily the reviews have been stellar and I've yet to see a single negative thing other than price. Seems like a buy it for life product.

$700 is a lot easier to swallow over 10, 20 years of continued use.

Well, I wouldn’t plan to have anything hanging out the bag. But I wouldn’t really care if a portion of the hood were hanging out of the ICU inside the bag.

That’s a fair point on the life of the bag. I’ve had a Gura Gear for probably 10 years.

Ok, shipping is $34. That pushes the price to an obscene $220 for the insert alone. Like most photographers, I have an unhealthy obsession with bags, but that is far beyond any reasonable price.
They ship them direct from Hong Kong, and I usually receive their products in about 2 business days!

My XL RCI arrived today, but unfortunately I am working out of town until Friday, so I won't get to check it out until the end of the week.

They ship them direct from Hong Kong, and I usually receive their products in about 2 business days!

My XL RCI arrived today, but unfortunately I am working out of town until Friday, so I won't get to check it out until the end of the week.

I ordered my Nya 60L + XL ICU on May 15, and it got here today - May 20 (5 days).

This bag is built like a tank. There's definitely no question about them cutting corners on design or material, that's for sure. I feel like I could have my $15K lens in there, walk through a tornado, and walk out there other side like nothing happened.

It's a little intimidating to be honest. It has so many compartments and extra features meant for more than just a photographer. I'm sure I won't utilize it to half of it's full potential.

It should be just about perfect for my needs though, and so far I'm happy with the purchase. The Shimoda 35L v2 + Nya 60L XL ICU should be two great travel packs for airline carryon guidance.

Back