Big Prime - Camera Bags & Backpacks

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

anyone have the new Sony 300 2.8 and a big prime? 400 f2.8 or 600 f4? @arbitrage

wondering if it's easier to pack say a 300/600 vs 400/800. I should've done testing when I had both, but alas I didn't.
I have the 300GM and the 600GM now. 400GM was sold to fund the 300GM.

My preferred bag for day to day is the F-stop Ajna with XL ICU. It was very tight to fit both the 600 and 400 into that bag. Camera had to lie flat on top in a lens coat camera pouch which isn't ideal.
Now with the 300GM it has made things better but still not as good as I had hoped. I was hoping I could have the 600 without camera alongside the 300 attached to camera. But it is just a bit too tight width wise because I use a batter grip. Without a grip it would work and still room for the two TC cases on the 300 side. I can fit the 600, 300 and A1 gripped in with the TC cases tucked up around the narrow end of the 600 but everything is detached.
So obviously it is going to pack easier with a 300/600 vs a 400/600. I'm not sure how it would all work out with 300/600 vs 400/800 (I assume 800 is the 800PF and not an 800E).

With other bags like my larger GuraGear bags I have more room left over on the side that would hold the 300 and camera and camera can easily be left attached with hood in shooting position on the 300 and room for the TCs. 600 stays on its own side.

I splurged on the XL ICU this morning as well when it finally showed back in stock. I don't even have the 60L. I ordered the 50C on the Kickstarter and the XL will fit in it. I just won't be able to use the top access, but I am fine with that because someday I will get the 60L. For me, the NYA line seems the best and with the range of ICU sizes I can use the one bag in a ton of different configurations.

the 60L will probably enter into my gear at some point, but for my needs now, the 50C is just the right size and can be expanded to almost a 60L. We'll see how this plays out in June when my bag comes.

Good luck with yours, I think with the offerings out there.. it was a great choice.
Did you get your 50C yet? If not, have they given you a shipping date now that we are in the last few days of June?
Please post some photos of the XL ICU in it once you get it.
Having a smaller bag than the 60L but still able to fit the XL ICU might tempt me.

I tend to prefer travel by vehicle these days, I have had my fill of air flight misery. This greatly simplifies my packing needs. Living in the Pacific Northwest I can cover Oregon, Washington, British Columbia, Idaho or western Montana by vehicle in one day. Trips to Yellowstone/Grand Tetons and the Canadian Rockies are very feasible by vehicle.

I have a custom built McHale backpack that has a front entry and accepts camera insert modules. I use the F Stop XL insert. I added a single insert above it for smaller items, all of that is accessible from the front opening. The top of the pack is expandable for added storage. This pack would not qualify for airline carry-on restrictions.

The main point for this pack is the bag’s backpacking prowess. It is capable of carrying substantial weight in comfort. I can carry pretty much anything I choose with comfort with all weight transferred to the hips.

I also have a GuraGear 30l which I can use for flights. It also doubles as storage for gear I am not carrying in the McHale pack.

During photo trips by vehicle I will transport the 800mm pf lens in its own OEM pack. I like that pack because it provides robust protection to the lens and holds the lens with Z9 attached. Carrying two bags in a vehicle is not a problem.

The McHale pack also has external QD straps that allow me to either carry two lenses and cameras on straps, or a camera on one side and tripod on the other. I can then deploy either camera or tripod without having to remove the pack.

Did you get your 50C yet? If not, have they given you a shipping date now that we are in the last few days of June?
Please post some photos of the XL ICU in it once you get it.
Having a smaller bag than the 60L but still able to fit the XL ICU might tempt me.
OK. Sorry, yes, the received my 50C on 6/14. I forgot about this thread. I only have had a couple shoots with me using the 50C so far, but I have an extended one this weekend so I should get a better feel for it.

As for how the RCI XL fits.... Well as they warned me, but I did not grasp until seeing it in person. The inner liner separating the compartments is cut to allow up to the Large RCI. So unless you want to cut the inside liner separating the compartments, its not going to fit.

I see a way for them to make future ones compatible...(all they would have to do is leave some extra inner material in there and it would fit) but as of the shipping of my 50C that is not the case. So, so far I have not wanted to cut the liner. Maybe I will someday, but not yet. I have been very happy using the Large RCI in it however.

TLDR; don't buy the 50C to use the XL RCI. If you want to modify it, it will work however.

If you add the 36 or 60-C in Canyon Red it will be $315 in the cart. The older version is $299.

I have the 300GM and the 600GM now. 400GM was sold to fund the 300GM.

My preferred bag for day to day is the F-stop Ajna with XL ICU. It was very tight to fit both the 600 and 400 into that bag. Camera had to lie flat on top in a lens coat camera pouch which isn't ideal.
Now with the 300GM it has made things better but still not as good as I had hoped. I was hoping I could have the 600 without camera alongside the 300 attached to camera. But it is just a bit too tight width wise because I use a batter grip. Without a grip it would work and still room for the two TC cases on the 300 side. I can fit the 600, 300 and A1 gripped in with the TC cases tucked up around the narrow end of the 600 but everything is detached.
So obviously it is going to pack easier with a 300/600 vs a 400/600. I'm not sure how it would all work out with 300/600 vs 400/800 (I assume 800 is the 800PF and not an 800E).

With other bags like my larger GuraGear bags I have more room left over on the side that would hold the 300 and camera and camera can easily be left attached with hood in shooting position on the 300 and room for the TCs. 600 stays on its own side.

thanks for the update! is the XL ICU you have, the f-stop PRO XL?

if so, looks like 19" tall x 11.5" wide vs 21.5" tall x 11.8" wide with the Nya Evo XL ICU. that could be enough to make a difference... granted those are exterior dimensions. Nya publishes internal dimensions, but f-stop does not. if the fabric or dividers are different width - that could have an impact as well

I suspect I'll have a 300GM and 600TC shortly and be able to post up if/when I do.

thanks for responding and so quickly!

I tend to use two bags as well with one for a camera with a tele zoom attached along with the Nikon carry case for the 800mm PF. I do wish that Nikon had made provision for having a second strap but it is still more compact than my Lowepro large lens case and so is what I tend to use. For air travel the Gura Gear Bataflae 32L is as good as it gets but it is not needed for travel by car where a Gura Gear 26L is adequate as a second bag.

Something I started using with my SUV and now with my pickup truck, is a "pet bridge" that attaches to the front and rear seats headrests. This provides a safe way to have cameras and lenses ready for use and not have to worry about them falling to the floor. It also makes it easy to keep valuables out of sight in the passenger area of a vehicle.

What is great about the Gura Gear bags is their use of much thinner padding so more space is available and their exterior pockets so I have less need to open and expose the contents of the main compartment.

thanks for the update! is the XL ICU you have, the f-stop PRO XL?

if so, looks like 19" tall x 11.5" wide vs 21.5" tall x 11.8" wide with the Nya Evo XL ICU. that could be enough to make a difference... granted those are exterior dimensions. Nya publishes internal dimensions, but f-stop does not. if the fabric or dividers are different width - that could have an impact as well

I suspect I'll have a 300GM and 600TC shortly and be able to post up if/when I do.

thanks for responding and so quickly!
Yes it is the f-stop pro xl ICU I have.

Here are a few photos I snapped this morning. 600GM with my really short hood in shooting position is always on the left. On the right in the first photo is with the 300GM mounted to the A1 without the battery grip. I have a short hood reversed on the 300GM but it fits the same with the stock hood reversed. TC pouches stacked on top of each other.

The 2nd photo shows a way I had the gripped A1 with the lens detached (hood reversed) and the TCs.
The last photo has my short hood in shooting position

I can measure the internal dimensions of the F-stop XL if you'd like. I will say I am stretching the top with the 600...it bulges up into the small top compartment space left over in the Ajna bag.

Included a photo of the 300GM with my custom short hood and Shadow Black Life+Guard skin.

IMG_6051.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
IMG_6053.jpg

IMG_6054.jpg
IMG_6044.jpg

Last edited:
Wow, this is a great, informative thread.

My prime isn't quite as big (hopefully Canon announces a fast RF 500mm - prime or zoom - soon), but I've got an Alaska trip in a few weeks, and I don't have anything that will hold my gear (all Canon)

2 EOS R3
RF 100-500 F4.5-7.1 L
RF 1.4x Extender
RF 24-70 F2.8 L
EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
Extender EF 1.4X III
Extender EF 2X III
Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R

I just purchased a large f-stop PRO ICU, and managed to fit everything I have in it, but (1) I don't have the 2nd R3 as I'm renting it and there is definitely no space left for it, and (2) the depth & width of the ICE is too big to get in my Osprey Stratos 34 Pack.

I need a pack that I can carry on Alaska Airlines (they say maximum dimension 22" x 14" x 9" or 45 linear inches), as well as use to carry the gear while out "chasing" bears. That said, I don't need the cameras attached to the lenses (although it would be a nice bonus), and don't mind the hoods reversed or detached.

I assume the XL f-stop PRO ICU would accommodate my gear, but it still won't fit in my back, so I would need a carry on backpack that will hold that ICU. Is the f-stop Ajna37L carry-on compliant?
I'm also tempted by the Nya-Evo 60-C and XL RCI, but I'm not sure if the XL RCI fits when the top expansion pocket is collapsed to keep the pack size within the carry on limits.
Finally, I could purchase a bigger non-photo backpack that the XL f-stop PRO ICU would fit in.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

Wow, this is a great, informative thread.

My prime isn't quite as big (hopefully Canon announces a fast RF 500mm - prime or zoom - soon), but I've got an Alaska trip in a few weeks, and I don't have anything that will hold my gear (all Canon)

2 EOS R3
RF 100-500 F4.5-7.1 L
RF 1.4x Extender
RF 24-70 F2.8 L
EF 300mm f/2.8L IS II
Extender EF 1.4X III
Extender EF 2X III
Control Ring Mount Adapter EF-EOS R

I just purchased a large f-stop PRO ICU, and managed to fit everything I have in it, but (1) I don't have the 2nd R3 as I'm renting it and there is definitely no space left for it, and (2) the depth & width of the ICE is too big to get in my Osprey Stratos 34 Pack.

I need a pack that I can carry on Alaska Airlines (they say maximum dimension 22" x 14" x 9" or 45 linear inches), as well as use to carry the gear while out "chasing" bears. That said, I don't need the cameras attached to the lenses (although it would be a nice bonus), and don't mind the hoods reversed or detached.

I assume the XL f-stop PRO ICU would accommodate my gear, but it still won't fit in my back, so I would need a carry on backpack that will hold that ICU. Is the f-stop Ajna37L carry-on compliant?
I'm also tempted by the Nya-Evo 60-C and XL RCI, but I'm not sure if the XL RCI fits when the top expansion pocket is collapsed to keep the pack size within the carry on limits.
Finally, I could purchase a bigger non-photo backpack that the XL f-stop PRO ICU would fit in.

Any suggestions/recommendations?

according to fstops published specs, the Ajna 37L is 23.8" tall x 12.8" wide x 10.1" deep which is oversized on both height and depth. the Nya Evo 60L is also oversized at 22" tall x 13.4" wide x 9.8" deep, but it's only one dimension (depth) and I imagine you'd be able to "squeeze" out that 0.8" if needed.

the benefit of both packs - you can pull the ICU out and you know that will fly. the fstop xl pro icu is 19" tall x 11.5" wide x 7" deep vs 21.5" tall x 11.8" wide x 7.3" deep for the Nya XL ICU.

I have the Nya Evo 60L and can confirm that the XL RCI fits with the top expansion pocket collapsed. the top expansion pocket is completely separate, and it's all just additional space when needed.

Either of the setups would definitely accommodate your gear no problem. I'm biased as I own the Nya Evo, so that would be my choice. the Nya Evo is closer to being carryon compliant, while also being wider. their ICU is taller, wider, and deeper - while still being carryon compliant. all things that are valuable when packing.

FWIW - I will be taking my Nya Evo with me to Brooks Lodge in Katmai, Alaska in September 2025 to shoot the bears. 2x Z9 + either 400TC, 100-400, 35-150, or 2x Z9 + 300GM, 600TC, 70-200. plus both extenders. I know for sure the 400TC setup fits with ease, and I think the second setup will as well. if not, I may have to stash a small lens and/or body on personal item.

Last edited:
I bit the bullet and got the Nya Evo 60L with XL ICU. I can also attest that it is extremely well made and has no obvious annoyances. I can fit my 600mm f/4 FL E with FTZ II connected to a Z9 on one side of the ICU, and I can fit numerous things on the other, like a 24-70 and 70-200 f/4. Almost pains me to say that it’s worth the money.

Last edited:
I bit the bullet and got the Nya Evo 60L with XL ICU. I can also attest that it is extremely well made and has no obvious annoyances. I can fit my 600mm f/4 FL E with FTZ II connected to a Z9 on one side of the ICU, and I dan fit numerous other things on the other, like a 24-70 and 70-200 f/4. Almost pains me to say that it’s worth the money.

cmon now man, you can't tease the people like that

WE NEED PICS!!!

Ha. We’ve got a 2 year old and a 6 week old running around. I’ll see what I can do.

Well, I suppose the 6 week old isn’t really running around. He’s more akin to a pet rock, but he does require a lot of attention that could otherwise go to packing a bag and taking photos of it.
I think you might be banned packing a 2 year old and a six week old in the bag 😂

Last edited:
I think this is the video? He's a welcome source of sanity in this materialistic world of yet another photography accessory, which doesn't work well enough. I also learned the hard way where/how almost all backpacks fail for wildlife photography. Finally I realized the best way forward is to focus on the ICUs and fit the optimum bag to the ICU(s) for the specific trip and its gear system.

Morten H learned invaluable lessons in his military service with Danish Special Forces in Greenland. So I was not surprised he prefers a Bergan 130, which were/are among the very best packs for carrying heavy loads. The early models were infamous from service in the southern African bushwars; and notably with C Sqn SAS (Rhodesia) who deployed mostly by nighttime HALO parachuting: with the very heavy Bergan swinging on its D-rings off a lanyard, so it hit the ground first. An ex-army Bergan is a valuable possession for a lifetime of outdoor use.

He mentions using an ICU in the Bergan (so it becomes a camera pack); assuming that's the XL so it fits the 600 with camera attached?

He mentions using an ICU in the Bergan (so it becomes a camera pack); assuming that's the XL so it fits the 600 with camera attached?
Yes, the fstop XL ICU fits a 600 (as best I recall). I use the Telemaster ICU in a fstop Sukha

Back