Binocular 8x42 or 10x42?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Hello,

I'm going to buy a Vortex crossfire or Diamond binocular. I can't decide between 8x42 or 10x42 for birds. I need your advice please. Please I don't want Swarovski , Zeiss and Leica are excessively expensive. I'm looking for a good binocular and a good reasonable price. I don't know if Nikon PROSTAFF P7 8x42 or Nikon Monarch M7 Binoculars 8x42 is better than Vortex? My budget I can spend £150 to £350 . I'm not birdwatching because I'm a photographer but I need a good binocular. for example when the birds are well hidden and I can't take a photo so I can use a binocularThank you very much.

Last edited:
How much do you want to spend? What are you using them for primarily? I have 7x, 8x, 10x 12x and they are all useful for their intended purposes. Sometimes there is a crossover in use between them, but sometimes not. Nobody can tell you which is best for you, only you can decide that and the only way is to get to an optical dealer and try them over as much time a you can afford. Personally I would limit your selection at a dealer to 3 different makes and if you can, try the different magnitudes within each range. If you try too many in one go, it can get quite overwhelming! Also, if you wear spectacles, that is going to be a major factor in the usability or otherwise of any bin.

I would suggest going to or joining Birdforum, where there are many experienced and knowledgeable people to guide you and also reviews etc. I would also end by saying that going with cheap and cheerful may not be the answer and spending a little more will take you into a higher quality range and prove a worthwhile investment. It all comes down what you want out of them.

If you don't want the big 3 makes (and they are expensive but highly addictive too) ,the latest Optician Auroras are getting really good views, but maybe still too expensive.? I would also look at secondhand. You can get a used Zeiss conquest hd , or older Swarovski SLC binocular for c. $1000 which would be a far better way of spending your money than a new MIC binocular. Whatever the make or spec, the most important thing is that they have to work for you. Good luck!

How much do you want to spend? What are you using them for primarily? I have 7x, 8x, 10x 12x and they are all useful for their intended purposes. Sometimes there is a crossover in use between them, but sometimes not. Nobody can tell you which is best for you, only you can decide that and the only way is to get to an optical dealer and try them over as much time a you can afford. Personally I would limit your selection at a dealer to 3 different makes and if you can, try the different magnitudes within each range. If you try too many in one go, it can get quite overwhelming! Also, if you wear spectacles, that is going to be a major factor in the usability or otherwise of any bin.

I would suggest going to or joining Birdforum, where there are many experienced and knowledgeable people to guide you and also reviews etc. I would also end by saying that going with cheap and cheerful may not be the answer and spending a little more will take you into a higher quality range and prove a worthwhile investment. It all comes down what you want out of them.

If you don't want the big 3 makes (and they are expensive but highly addictive too) ,the latest Optician Auroras are getting really good views, but maybe still too expensive.? I would also look at secondhand. You can get a used Zeiss conquest hd , or older Swarovski SLC binocular for c. $1000 which would be a far better way of spending your money than a new MIC binocular. Whatever the make or spec, the most important thing is that they have to work for you. Good luck!
I can spend £150 to £350. I'm not a birdwatching because I'm a photographer but i need a good binocular. for example when the birds are well hidden and I can't take a photo so I can use a binocular . Thank you for your tip.

Hello,

I'm going to buy a Vortex crossfire or Diamond binocular. I can't decide between 8x42 or 10x42 for birds. I need your advice please. Please I don't want Swarovski , Zeiss and Leica are excessively expensive. I'm looking for a good binocular and a good reasonable price. I don't know if Nikon PROSTAFF P7 8x42 or Nikon Monarch M7 Binoculars 8x42 is better than Vortex? My budget I can spend £150 to £350 . I'm not birdwatching because I'm a photographer but I need a good binocular. Thank you very much.
I have Nikon Monarch M5s, and have been very pleased. They offer good magnification and optics for general use, decent quality, and are affordable. I went with 8x42 instead of 10x42 because I didn't feel that I needed the extra magnification, and because I found them to be better (for me) for scanning. My advice to you would be to try out various brands and models before buying (if at all possible), because everyone uses bins differently. Perhaps you have a Birds Unlimited or REI store in your area? I know you mentioned not being a birdwatcher, but here's a guide that you might find useful https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/six-steps-to-choosing-a-pair-of-binoculars-youll-love/#. As you know, its possible to spend huge sums of money on bins, but for general and occasional use I don't think it's necessary.

Good luck!

P.S. one other thing to think about is weight. If most of your photo work is local, then this isn't much of a concern, but if you travel, then weight becomes a factor. For this reason, I've often considered buying a second pair of lightweight bins to take on trips - Yellowstone, Alaska, etc. Lugging around standard sized bins on top of all your photo equipment is a pain, whereas having a small, lightweight pair with you is useful for scanning hillsides & beaches. Something to think about.

P.P.S. Here's another thread on this forum regarding binoculars for wildlife. https://bcgforums.com/threads/best-binoculars-for-wildlife-viewing-photography.8927/

Last edited:
Since you're the only person who can see through your eyes, only direct comparison and being honest with yourself will get you to the right choice.

Things to consider? The 8x will have a larger field of view and less magnification. The 10x will have a smaller field of view and greater magnification. You will only be able to make a good decision by having both at hand to compare while looking at the same subject(s) at the same distance. Your ability to hold binoculars steady, and your eyes' ability to benefit from a brighter view will also affect your choice. You can train yourself to be better at holding the binoculars steady. But how good your eyes are (assuming you get your vision checked regularly) is beyond your control. It's likely that the 8x will be brighter. In bright sun, both 8x or 10x will be adequately bright. Clouds, shade and low sun angle will change that, AND most birds are more active and foraging out where you can see them at dawn and dusk. Good luck!

I have used Nikon Monarch 5 8x45 for some years, which I lost in the bush some years back (put down and unable to relocate the spot!). I've since tried Lynx but returned to Monarch 5 12 x 42. I need higher power for details of small birds and picking out subjects that are often at longer distances... Hence 12x but 8x are often better for general birding.
The "bottom end" Nikon Monarch models are excellent for my needs. I tested several pairs at the retailers - outdoor comparisons, and failed to justify paying more for Monarch 7

Last edited:
I was in basically the same predicament as you last year and wound up with 10x42 Nikon Monarchs. I tried the brands you mentioned above, plus Zeiss, in store and I couldn’t see a big enough difference to justify buying something more expensive than Monarchs. Honestly, I’ve been blown away by the quality.

I own two Vortex binoculars and have found that the greater the magnification the more important to spend more for a higher end version. The 12x50 Diamonback was not acceptable but the Razor was fine. My favorite binoculars are 10x25 that weigh only 12 ounces and so no issues with having them hanging off my neck while walking around with my camera and lens. They are compact enough to fold up and put in a jacket pocket.

The difference is absolutely visible, a Monarch won’t be a contender for a Swarowski or the like in any aspect but price BUT! the differences will only play a role once the light gets very dim, once you’re “stretching” the reach aso.
So for the intended use of the OP cheaper bins will do.

Depending on the need for eye relief and other factors you should first consider buying a roof versus porro prism bin and then decide on the mag. Try some out to see what works best for you. In the price range you’re looking at Vortex are solid as are the Nikon monarchs though I’d give the edge to the former in lower light. Carson’s 3D series offers great quality/value and they are available in Europe too. My best advice is to go to a shop and try a bunch out and see which ones fit bet in terms of eye relief, focus wheel, size/ weight, and other ergonomics.

I have two pairs of Nikon Monarch binoculars - an 8x42 and a 10x56. I use the 10x, but it takes some effort to handle the magnification. The difference in magnification is significant, and the field of view is quite narrow. They are quite bright even in low light conditions. My wife hates the 10x because the magnification is too high compared to the 8x. Most birders prefer the 8x because it is easier to find a subject and keep it in the view. One other thing to keep in mind is the minimum focus distance. Like long lenses, high powered binoculars run into minimum focus distance issues. My 10x56 binoculars have a MFD of around 25 feet while my 8x42 binoculars have a MFD of around 8 feet. That makes the 10x56 great for distant subjects, but not for my home feeders.

I'm not sure what camera you are currently using, but since getting the Z6, I have had a Fn button programmed to zoom to 100%. It allows me to use my camera like electronic binoculars - and capture photos at the same time. This can be helpful for identification.

Nikon Monarch 10x42 and I've been happy with them. 10x is as much as I can hand hold. I'm usually looking for detail of something I spotted and 10x is better for that. Longer than10x is hard for me to hold steady. Minimum focus on the 10x42 seems to be about 7 feet.

Last edited:
I have two pairs of Nikon Monarch binoculars - an 8x42 and a 10x56. I use the 10x, but it takes some effort to handle the magnification. The difference in magnification is significant, and the field of view is quite narrow. They are quite bright even in low light conditions. My wife hates the 10x because the magnification is too high compared to the 8x. Most birders prefer the 8x because it is easier to find a subject and keep it in the view. One other thing to keep in mind is the minimum focus distance. Like long lenses, high powered binoculars run into minimum focus distance issues. My 10x56 binoculars have a MFD of around 25 feet while my 8x42 binoculars have a MFD of around 8 feet. That makes the 10x56 great for distant subjects, but not for my home feeders.

I'm not sure what camera you are currently using, but since getting the Z6, I have had a Fn button programmed to zoom to 100%. It allows me to use my camera like electronic binoculars - and capture photos at the same time. This can be helpful for identification.
Thank you so much. I went to the shop earlier but they didn't have much choice. I tried Nikon Monarch M7 10x42 Binoculars and 8x42. I also tried Vortex Optics Crossfire HD 8x42. I assure you that I can't decide because for me Nikon and Vortex are the same and very good. :D🤪. It's difficult o pick one.

I have Nikon Z8 with 180-600mm . I'm very satisfied with my new baby z8 😀😊.

Last edited:
Lots of good info here already. you can drive yourself crazy shopping for binos! A visit to Bird Forum will lead you there. :) The best advice imo is to go somewhere that carries multiple brands and try them. Only you can decide what fits your hands, face, etc. I carry 10x for the extra magnification, but if you can't hold them steady, you're better off with 8x. I'll add my Tract Optics 10x42 to the list of confusion. They were $600.+ and I've been very pleased with them. Choose one and enjoy!

Thank you so much. I went to the shop earlier but they didn't have much choice. I tried Nikon Monarch M7 10x42 Binoculars and 8x42. I also tried Vortex Optics Crossfire HD 8x42. I assure you that I can't decide because for me Nikon and Vortex are the same. :D🤪. It's difficult o pick one.

I have Nikon Z8 with 180-600mm . I'm very satisfied with my new baby z8 😀😊.
I have a button on my Z8 to zoom to 100% when shooting (and in Playback mode also). I use it to either zoom onto a subject in order to see it better and also when I want ensure that I have the focus perfectly set! Zooming to 100% while looking through the viewfinder is very beneficial.

I suggest you take Eric's advice and give it a try. You may decide you don't need binos.....I did.

Lots of good info here already. you can drive yourself crazy shopping for binos! A visit to Bird Forum will lead you there. :) The best advice imo is to go somewhere that carries multiple brands and try them. Only you can decide what fits your hands, face, etc. I carry 10x for the extra magnification, but if you can't hold them steady, you're better off with 8x. I'll add my Tract Optics 10x42 to the list of confusion. They were $600.+ and I've been very pleased with them. Choose one and enjoy!
I have Nikon Monarch M5s, and have been very pleased. They offer good magnification and optics for general use, decent quality, and are affordable. I went with 8x42 instead of 10x42 because I didn't feel that I needed the extra magnification, and because I found them to be better (for me) for scanning. My advice to you would be to try out various brands and models before buying (if at all possible), because everyone uses bins differently. Perhaps you have a Birds Unlimited or REI store in your area? I know you mentioned not being a birdwatcher, but here's a guide that you might find useful https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/six-steps-to-choosing-a-pair-of-binoculars-youll-love/#. As you know, its possible to spend huge sums of money on bins, but for general and occasional use I don't think it's necessary.

Good luck!

P.S. one other thing to think about is weight. If most of your photo work is local, then this isn't much of a concern, but if you travel, then weight becomes a factor. For this reason, I've often considered buying a second pair of lightweight bins to take on trips - Yellowstone, Alaska, etc. Lugging around standard sized bins on top of all your photo equipment is a pain, whereas having a small, lightweight pair with you is useful for scanning hillsides & beaches. Something to think about.

P.P.S. Here's another thread on this forum regarding binoculars for wildlife. https://bcgforums.com/threads/best-binoculars-for-wildlife-viewing-photography.8927/
Thank you so much. I went to the shop earlier but they didn't have much choice. I tried Nikon Monarch M7 10x42 Binoculars and 8x42. I also tried Vortex Optics Crossfire HD 8x42. I assure you that I can't decide because for me Nikon and Vortex are the same and very good. :D🤪. It's difficult to pick one.

I tried Zeiss terra ed 10x25 but i would like it's not short?

I have a button on my Z8 to zoom to 100% when shooting (and in Playback mode also). I use it to either zoom onto a subject in order to see it better and also when I want ensure that I have the focus perfectly set! Zooming to 100% while looking through the viewfinder is very beneficial.

I suggest you take Eric's advice and give it a try. You may decide you don't need binos.....I did.
I didn't understand how to use it . I have never heard before . is there a link for that. thank you for your advice

The optics on the Nikon Monarch are a notch up from the Vortex. Like your camera gear, the difference is in difficult situations like low light and backlit subjects. You should see less chromatic aberration with the Nikon ED glass. You may also see differences in fine detail and contrast in low light conditions. Until you take binoculars outside, it's hard to compare.

Someone asked earlier about what the numbers mean. The 8x or 10x refers to the magnification. The second number refers to the diameter of the objective lens - the size of the front which drives the light gathering capability. So a larger second number means it gathers more light, but with that comes larger size and more weight. Like an f/2.8 lens - there are tradeoffs between fast glass and size/weight.

Back