Displaying your printed photos

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I print on metal in 11-14 format and use a standoff. I am slowly replacing my underwater shots that either I printed and used a glass-over magnate mount (no frame) or Bay Photo printed with a paper 1/2" box (no frame). I have lights on all photographs and that makes a huge difference.

I am very familiar with canvas mounting having made dozens. I was asking about this statement, "I used make a lot of prints but nowadays I have canvas prints made. No need for frames, mattes or glass. I’ve had good luck with Canvas On The Cheap." My question was - how do you mount canvas without a stretcher frame.
I think the reply has to do with an "outside the photo" frame made of wood or metal and glass.

I print on a Canon Pro 100 up to 13x19 for things I want in an album, for home framing of my "trophy" sparrows etc., I also print for camera club "print night" and to have mounted on foam core for display at our fair.

I have a couple of pieces still on canvas but now print exclusively on metal with McKenna Pro for things I display in a gallery setting or on my walls at home. I only display in a gallery setting a couple of times a year and the next scheduled for October my be my last. I will be 75 in a few months and I will probably "retire" from selling even a little and get my amateur sr. citizen standing back at our fair (takes 2 years of nothing up for sale).

I’m interested in knowing how you print, mount, and display your photographs. Do you print to paper and frame them, or print on metal, wood, or other materials and display them unmounted? If you mount and frame them, how do you select your frames, and do you mat them or just have the photo flush with the frame? What guidelines do you use in deciding how to print and display your work? If you have mounted images that you’re willing to share, please post them here.
I've only recently evolved from product to wildlife photography.
I do like a A3 or bigger print but A4 frames are easy to change.
The image shouldn't touch the glass.
If you want your images to last then get printed on something like fuji crystal archive paper and dont leave them in direct sunlight ... 🦘

I use 300 gsm Hahnemühle Watercolour fine art pure rag paper.
Printed on Rolland commercial lab printer.
Pure Japanese fine art pigment ink.
Museum grade Non reflective ART glass that has 95% uv resistance.
Gator board backing.
Fine art Rag mat board mount surround.
usually 40x 35mm soft white timber molding.

or

i use fine art canvas on a timber stretcher and timber edge 5mm face by 50mm side depth.

Or

the Standouts style if its a cheap non fine artwork.

Only an opinion

I use 300 gsm Hahnemühle Watercolour fine art pure rag paper.
Printed on Rolland commercial lab printer.
Pure Japanese fine art pigment ink.
Museum grade Non reflective ART glass that has 95% uv resistance.
Gator board backing.
Fine art Rag mat board mount surround.
usually 40x 35mm soft white timber molding.

or

i use fine art canvas on a timber stretcher and timber edge 5mm face by 50mm side depth.

Or

the Standouts style if its a cheap non fine artwork.

Only an opinion

Do you permanently mount the fine art paper to the gatorboard, as in drymount adhesive or similar, or do you keep the print removable using photo corners or linen tape, etc?

Do you permanently mount the fine art paper to the gatorboard, as in drymount adhesive or similar, or do you keep the print removable using photo corners or linen tape, etc?
Never glue it down, there is a barrier rag sheet behind the print and mat board on the front, i use two archival paper hinges at the top of the print edge in about 150mm from the edge so the sheets can expand and contract without corrugating.
The print is removable by folding back the mat board mount, cutting the 50mm wide paper hinges.

Never glue it down, there is a barrier rag sheet behind the print and mat board on the front, i use two archival paper hinges at the top of the print edge in about 150mm from the edge so the sheets can expand and contract without corrugating.
The print is removable by folding back the mat board mount, cutting the 50mm wide paper hinges.

I'm in the 'leave the print alone' camp too. Do you do anything different for very large prints?

Interesting ideas. I stick with 'traditional' frame display, not caring for the effect of metal, canvas, or other non-paper media. I print myself using a range of papers, including roll paper, on an Epson P800, up to 16x32. I will (rarely) use a local custom print shop for larger images. For me it's too hard to get the print right without multiple passes at it, which is prohibitive with commercial printers. Framing:

1) At the low end, Ikea sells a range of sizes of ridiculously inexpensive frames (faux-wood black frame, mounting, backing, mat, glass) that I use a lot for 'low end' uses. The drawback is that the frames are non-standard sizes and the supplied mats are odd aspect ratios and sizes. Or:

2) Cut new mats for the Ikea frames.

3) I have a collection of Framatic reusable frames, designed to be simple to open and replace the image. Good for the places where I'm swapping the photos around fairly frequently.

4) I order framing material from Frame Destination in various custom sizes. They will cut the frames and mats to whatever size you want. The drawback here is that glass is tricky to ship and I don't like acrylic.

5) For permanent use I go to several local high quality framing shops.

I mount using corners or linen tape hinges.

Amazon has a fair selection of sizes of standard mats. I also will cut my own mats but try to avoid that since cutting a precise sharp-edged mat seems to be beyond my skills.

For now, I'm doing fewer mega-sized images, preferring smaller images that let people get closer and more intimate with an image. I've been printing and framing themed collections of images at approx 5x7, 8x10, and 8x12, using papers from metallic and pearl/luster to matte and watercolor. I'm finding that the way people engage with smaller images is different than how they deal with very large 'grand' displays.

My .02c

I’m interested in knowing how you print, mount, and display your photographs. Do you print to paper and frame them, or print on metal, wood, or other materials and display them unmounted? If you mount and frame them, how do you select your frames, and do you mat them or just have the photo flush with the frame? What guidelines do you use in deciding how to print and display your work? If you have mounted images that you’re willing to share, please post them here.

I print some stuff for home and some stuff for putting into an art gallery. How I print something and on what varies. I do seem to be inclined, in general, to go with a mat and frame but I'm trying to push myself into other types of treatments. I print most everything from my Epson 3000, unless I need something larger than it can print. I buy frames at various places. I have had images printed on metal through Bay Photo. Just a few days ago I ordered some canvas prints and acrylic blocks, also Bay Photo, to go into the gallery I'm in, this will be my first experience with both. I do think at the gallery I'm in prints that are on metal or acrylic sometimes seem to sell more often, but that is not a scientific take at all. I've sold prints on both metal and the standard mat/frame approach. I like to print on card stock and I put the cards in the gallery and they seem to sell fairly well. For a bedroom at home I printed several prints (from a photo trip to Venice) and matted and framed them and hung them gallery style and I really liked the effect. I also print books with a lot of full-page spreads, coffee-table size. In my office/studio I have a miss-mash of frames hung without much thought, but they are the prints that got an award and I'm mostly the only one in the office so I'm fine with it. Cards are also nice to give as gifts to friends and family, the cards shown are from a recent trip to Sitka, Alaska. I think there are way too many options these days and its hard to decide which one to choose!

IMG_9147.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.
IMG_9145.JPG
IMG_9143.JPG
IMG_9144.JPG

I print some stuff for home and some stuff for putting into an art gallery. How I print something and on what varies. I do seem to be inclined, in general, to go with a mat and frame but I'm trying to push myself into other types of treatments. I print most everything from my Epson 3000, unless I need something larger than it can print. I buy frames at various places. I have had images printed on metal through Bay Photo. Just a few days ago I ordered some canvas prints and acrylic blocks, also Bay Photo, to go into the gallery I'm in, this will be my first experience with both. I do think at the gallery I'm in prints that are on metal or acrylic sometimes seem to sell more often, but that is not a scientific take at all. I've sold prints on both metal and the standard mat/frame approach. I like to print on card stock and I put the cards in the gallery and they seem to sell fairly well. For a bedroom at home I printed several prints (from a photo trip to Venice) and matted and framed them and hung them gallery style and I really liked the effect. I also print books with a lot of full-page spreads, coffee-table size. In my office/studio I have a miss-mash of frames hung without much thought, but they are the prints that got an award and I'm mostly the only one in the office so I'm fine with it. Cards are also nice to give as gifts to friends and family, the cards shown are from a recent trip to Sitka, Alaska. I think there are way too many options these days and its hard to decide which one to choose!

View attachment 59333View attachment 59334View attachment 59337View attachment 59338
Wonderful examples of how to display your beautiful photography! (And I really like the ceiling and wall treatment in the guest bedroom! LOL! I considered painting our master BR ceiling dark brown......!)

View attachment 59334
I love these albums!

For dealing with dozens of images I like to have the lab drymount the prints on mat board or Masonite depending on the size of the print and then I put them in a pre-made frame with glass to protect the print. For very large prints I use a double mat to prevent the glass from ever touching the surface of the print.

The frames that are metal and designed for assembly by the user allow me to use the same frame and glass for one print and later use it for a different print. I buy pre-cut mats which saves a great deal of money. Picture glass cost per square inch can vary from less than $2 for an 10 x 12 piece of glass to more than $8 depending upon where one buy it. Cheapest is with it as part of a pre-made frame.

It takes a bit of time to decide on a mat and frame size that works for most of ones images and that are available in bulk quantities but by doing so one can reduce the total costs by 75% with no loss in the end product.

Wonderful examples of how to display your beautiful photography! (And I really like the ceiling and wall treatment in the guest bedroom! LOL! I considered painting our master BR ceiling dark brown......!)
Great info - many thanks for sharing, and posting your images. I love what you’ve done!

Thanks for your comment on my photography and the wall treatment...it went with the Craftsman style house.

I love these albums!
Patrick, the photo albums/books are created in LrC Book Module and the program sends the file to Blurb for printing. Blurb does a great job and their customer service is also very good. Of the 20 or so books I've done one did come unbound and they immediately sent me a reprinted book. For 90% of each book there is only one photo per page and there are always a lot of full page bleeds. They cost me anywhere from $60 to $90 depending on number of pages and I do look for coupons, although it seems I'm not usually ready to print when they have a sale!

I'm in the 'leave the print alone' camp too. Do you do anything different for very large prints?
No i do this with all prints.

When i walk in a room i want to see the print not reflections or a frame attracting my eye first.

The timber frame blends in seamlessly with the white of the sheet and wall integrating the artwork more seamlessly into its environment, the print has a pop and its the first thing that you see, you don't get distracted with a bold or intimidating frame.

60x80cm in cases but mostly 1x1.2 or 1.4 meter is the size.

With panoramic size of 28cm x184cm that comes out to 2 meters after framing i use no mat board to preserve the panoramic look, paper hinges at the top, a 4mm insert around the edge to hold the glass off the print hence the same 40x35mm white timber profile.

There are two ways I go, full archival if tits important.

For nice casual enjoyable small stuff i like i use IKEA frames which are the way to go.

My girlfriend likes no frames and has prints glued down onto a thin block of foam. I am in ways partial to that as well in some cases.

I dislike a wall where the frame dominates, the frame should be a subtle accessory, neutral simple.

My environment is i like everything white, walls floors ceilings windows doors skirting boards and architraves, it demonstrates space and light with neutrality, a bit like a clean blank canvas, then i allow the furnishings and accessories to add contrast colour interest, you then always see the print/artwork never the frame, i like lots of glass, sun, light, green foliage and sky visible from every position, luckily we live in a warm beach like environment.

Only an opinion

No i do this with all prints.

When i walk in a room i want to see the print not reflections or a frame attracting my eye first.

The timber frame blends in seamlessly with the white of the sheet and wall integrating the artwork more seamlessly into its environment, the print has a pop and its the first thing that you see, you don't get distracted with a bold or intimidating frame.

60x80cm in cases but mostly 1x1.2 or 1.4 meter is the size.

With panoramic size of 28cm x184cm that comes out to 2 meters after framing i use no mat board to preserve the panoramic look, paper hinges at the top, a 4mm insert around the edge to hold the glass off the print hence the same 40x35mm white timber profile.

There are two ways I go, full archival if tits important.

For nice casual enjoyable small stuff i like i use IKEA frames which are the way to go.

My girlfriend likes no frames and has prints glued down onto a thin block of foam. I am in ways partial to that as well in some cases.

I dislike a wall where the frame dominates, the frame should be a subtle accessory, neutral simple.

My environment is i like everything white, walls floors ceilings windows doors skirting boards and architraves, it demonstrates space and light with neutrality, a bit like a clean blank canvas, then i allow the furnishings and accessories to add contrast colour interest, you then always see the print/artwork never the frame, i like lots of glass, sun, light, green foliage and sky visible from every position, luckily we live in a warm beach like environment.

Only an opinion

Thanks for the details!

Back