I did a thing….New Camera in the House Sony a9III

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

@DavidT Beautiful rendering of the 400mm 2.8 on the 3 photographs. And perfect position of the birds in flight, thanks to the 120 fsp I imagine.
The whites of the Crested Caracara do not seem to be burned.
All this is very beautiful. Bravo 👏

@DavidT Beautiful rendering of the 400mm 2.8 on the 3 photographs. And perfect position of the birds in flight, thanks to the 120 fsp I imagine.
The whites of the Crested Caracara do not seem to be burned.
All this is very beautiful. Bravo 👏
60 fps on those captures.

Another capture with the impressive a9III.
20240407-A9305589-ARW-Edit-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

At this point, why not just shoot a video and pull still frames?

Please don't take my question the wrong way, I'm not trying to be facetious, and am genuinely curious. Would stills from a video give the same quality as shooting stills? In essence, 30, 60, 120FPS is video quality, right, just larger files (I don't know the answer, I'm actually asking :) )? There is the process of photography vs. videography, but I'm strictly talking about the end results.

At this point, why not just shoot a video and pull still frames?

Please don't take my question the wrong way, I'm not trying to be facetious, and am genuinely curious. Would stills from a video give the same quality as shooting stills? In essence, 30, 60, 120FPS is video quality, right, just larger files (I don't know the answer, I'm actually asking :) )? There is the process of photography vs. videography, but I'm strictly talking about the end results.
As far as I know you can’t pull a video frame and have the same quality as if was shot as a still image.

While this isn't wildlife some would call them birds :). Hopefully it is allowed as this thread is dedicated to exploring the new Sony a9III and its advanced features including a global shutter.

Shot these last weekend using the 400GM and 600GM and the Sony a9III and a1. I have to say the airplane af mode is legit. I didn't have any issues with the a1 keeping up but the a9III is measurably faster to find and hold focus.

I am happy with some of the prop blur shots (posting one here) which I shot with the a9III, Sony 600GM and 2x Tele so I was at 1200mm and 1/125 and 1/160 shutter speed handheld.

I shared a couple of the a1 shots to compare resolution. I don't see much of a difference between the two cameras in these shots.

20240414-A9309397-ARW-2-2.jpg

20240414-A9300347-ARW-2.jpg

20240414-A9301598-ARW-Edit-2.jpg

20240414-_A1A2820-ARW-Edit-2.jpg

20240414-_A1A2970-ARW-Edit-Edit-2.jpg

Kudos on a beautiful composition - the nicest Cardinal photo I've seen in a month of Sundays. Just love the flowers and context for the scene. Well done!

Did you pay the bird to pose for you? :D

Kudos on a beautiful composition - the nicest Cardinal photo I've seen in a month of Sundays. Just love the flowers and context for the scene. Well done!

Did you pay the bird to pose for you? :D
lol no but he had a tip jar lol. I really wanted to snag one of him flying but didn’t nail that shot.

I printed it today during a print run :).
IMG_1885.jpeg

Back