I did a thing….New Camera in the House Sony a9III

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

Interested to see what you think of the af of this camera compared to your other cameras.
So am I :)
I'm heading out briefly this Sunday and will tackle a few subjects if I can find them. I also want to look at the AF issues with the a1 update and compare with the un-updated a1. Some side by side with both a1s might be interesting - and if it looks like something is off, I might post it on YT.

I'm heading out briefly this Sunday and will tackle a few subjects if I can find them. I also want to look at the AF issues with the a1 update and compare with the un-updated a1. Some side by side with both a1s might be interesting - and if it looks like something is off, I might post it on YT.
Yes I’m very interested in the comparison, post it on YT!😀
Also looking forward on your initial thoughts on the A9iii

Great Tit, messy background and a heavy crop but hey ho😄😊

53680676345_218bdc1b25_o.jpeg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Here are some of my shots from my first dreary/rainy day with the A9III loaner. Hard to tell how well the AF is in these conditions. AF seemed to want to jump all over the place. Didn't seem to follow the previous Sony AF logic where it prioritizes centre of the frame in Zone or Wide. But with poor light levels (even using 400GM) it is too early to make definitive conclusions. I mostly just played with precapture and had a lot of fun with that.

I will say I had a few cool images like an Osprey launching off a tree straight towards me which weren't useable because of the lack of MPs.....I was feeling the lack of MPs. But I also found subjects close enough that 24MP was fine.

A9303169-Enhanced-NR.jpg
A9301783-Enhanced-NR.jpg
A9304681-Enhanced-NR.jpg
A9305679-Enhanced-NR.jpg
A9303542-Enhanced-NR.jpg
A9302961-Enhanced-NR.jpg
A9303216-Enhanced-NR.jpg
A9301190-Enhanced-NR.jpg

Last edited:
What AF issues have you heard about? All I had on 2.0 was severe battery drain but AF was identical to 1.32. I haven't tried 2.01 to see if battery life is fixed (rumoured to be) as I just got the A9III so A1 stays in the bag for now....LOL

It's really light and stupid fast to focus on the a9iii. I'll be taking to Botswana next week and really giving it a test run :)
300GM must be the fastest focusing Sony lens I've ever used. This IMO is what makes it so useable with the 2xTC compared to the 400/600. I love that little lens and as soon as my 400GM sells (listed on FM if any Canadians read this and want one) I will buy the 300GM to replace it right away.

What AF issues have you heard about? All I had on 2.0 was severe battery drain but AF was identical to 1.32. I haven't tried 2.01 to see if battery life is fixed (rumoured to be) as I just got the A9III so A1 stays in the bag for now....LOL
The two I've seen here are that spot AF isn't working as well and seems to get stuck at certain distances and that Subject Detection isn't working as well with swallows (which I may be able to find at my local park). Both posters seem to think it's a very noticeable difference between what the camera was doing and what it's doing now. My thought is to take any guesswork out of it since I have a pair of a1 bodies - so I only updated one and I'll see if I can duplicate what they are seeing. If I get a chance - I'm heading to Africa in a week and I have a LOT of stuff to get done before then (oddly, none of which really has anything to do with the trip).

Reactions: LTK
Here are some of my shots from my first dreary/rainy day with the A9III loaner. Hard to tell how well the AF is in these conditions. AF seemed to want to jump all over the place. Didn't seem to follow the previous Sony AF logic where it prioritizes centre of the frame in Zone or Wide. But with poor light levels (even using 400GM) it is too early to make definitive conclusions. I mostly just played with precapture and had a lot of fun with that.

I will say I had a few cool images like an Osprey launching off a tree straight towards me which weren't useable because of the lack of MPs.....I was feeling the lack of MPs. But I also found subjects close enough that 24MP was fine.

View attachment 87751View attachment 87752View attachment 87753View attachment 87754View attachment 87755View attachment 87756View attachment 87757View attachment 87758
Great shots - I wonder if the rain also may have messed with the AF a bit when you saw it struggle. I know I have experienced that in the past with other cameras.

There is something different (and good) about all the shots I'm seeing here from the 9iii. More subject separation? Wider shots? Unique "freeze?" Or is this the result of those fast teles plus skill level and no extreme crops? For those of you moving from A1 to the 9iii, are you noticing the marked difference? Getting a loaner + 300 in a week or so, looking forward to it.

There is something different (and good) about all the shots I'm seeing here from the 9iii. More subject separation? Wider shots? Unique "freeze?" Or is this the result of those fast teles plus skill level and no extreme crops? For those of you moving from A1 to the 9iii, are you noticing the marked difference? Getting a loaner + 300 in a week or so, looking forward to it.
I think what you're seeing is bette field craft. The a9iii isn't a camera that you want to crop too much, so the shooters have to get closer and fill the frame. This leads to better subject isolation and more pop (and it's what I've been advocating for years but the heavy crop-gin community just brushes my comments aside).

A9lll with the 300mm 2.8 is joyfully and super fast. I think my 600mm f4 is better when at 1200mm than with the A1,faster and more consistent AF, saying this quietly as don’t want to jinx it😎. The Great White Egret was a long way off across water so much so I almost didn’t take it, so heavy cropping.

DSC01132-ARW-20240412-DxO_DeepPRIME-XD2.jpg

Last edited:
I think what you're seeing is bette field craft. The a9iii isn't a camera that you want to crop too much, so the shooters have to get closer and fill the frame. This leads to better subject isolation and more pop (and it's what I've been advocating for years but the heavy crop-gin community just brushes my comments aside).
Yup. Since I’m aware of the lower MP I’ve been focused on field craft and not being lazy and just cropping. It’s also making me a better photographer as panning and capturing song birds with a big lens and filling the frame is challenging when compared to the subject being smaller in frame. This to me is worth it as it’s giving me practice at being better in camera.

is The crop-gin intentional (hiccup) funny if it’s intentional 😄😄😄😄😄

I mostly used A9III today but wanted to test out the A1 on 2.01 FW. I shot swallows in overcast, windy conditions with grey rippled water. A1 had no issues with AF. Seemed exactly the same as 2.0 and 1.32. Also nailed a perfect sequence of a merlin at top speed that zipped by me as it tried to nail some sandpipers on the shore.

As for the A9III...the AF was a champ today on the swallows. Seemed better than yesterday but I was shooting different subjects, in different weather so not directly comparable.

I have done some more testing with the A1 on firmware 2.01
With the bare 600GM I am seeing no issues.
With the 600GM+1.4TC I have instances where it will not re-focus (not dependant on spot or zone focus) but I am not at all sure that this is firmware dependant.
I had a day out where re-focussing seemed sub-par, but it is spring here, with many light green fresh leaves on the branches, that let quite a bit of sunlight through.
It may well be that these are too low contrast for the mirrorless af system to "see".
When I keep the AF engaged and move the lens slightly, it will in a few seconds re-focus.

The thing that makes this slippery territory, is that a dslr like the D500 would jump into focus in such circumstances without issue, but mirrorless AF is different and still surprises me at times.

So my summary is that I am not going to list this as firmware issue, but as a mirrorless AF issue. When there is clear enough contour or contrast, I see no issues with AF.
Eye AF seems quite ok.

Some shots from Day 2 with the A9III....

A9308837-Enhanced-NR.jpg
A9309097-Enhanced-NR.jpg
A9309918-Enhanced-NR.jpg
A9309710-Enhanced-NR.jpg
A9307353-Enhanced-NR.jpg
A9307562-Enhanced-NR.jpg
A9307602-Enhanced-NR.jpg
A9306830-Enhanced-NR.jpg

I took the a9III out again today and the plan was to photograph Painted Buntings in flight but apparently they didn't get my agenda for the day because they sure didn't show up as expected. So when life doesn't give you Painted Buntings you shoot what is around and for me half of the day was butterflies and bees.

I am absolutely blown away by the a9III insect AF. This is by far without a doubt the best insect camera I have ever used! Just a few of the hundreds I got today.

Did anyone else get out and shoot their a9III today?

20240428-A9304743-ARW-2.jpg

20240428-A9305396-ARW-2.jpg

20240428-A9305536-ARW-2.jpg

20240428-A9306016-ARW-2.jpg
20240428-A9306811-ARW-2.jpg

Back