I did a thing….New Camera in the House Sony a9III

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

After using this camera I don’t know how any bird photographer wouldn’t buy this camera. Stunning results!
Well, simply because I'd have to switch to Sony, but I want to stay with Nikon. No doubt the GS, full RAW pre-capture, and 120FPS are the future, and Nikon/Canon will have their own implementation eventually, so I'll just wait for that.

Well, simply because I'd have to switch to Sony, but I want to stay with Nikon. No doubt the GS, full RAW pre-capture, and 120FPS are the future, and Nikon/Canon will have their own implementation eventually, so I'll just wait for that.
Well true. My comment was at the Sony shooters. Some have dismissed this camera because it’s not 50MP or more.

Well true. My comment was at the Sony shooters. Some have dismissed this camera because it’s not 50MP or more.
Yeah really depends on what you are shooting. I do some setup work in my backyard similar to what Jan is showing and for sure I can use 24MP and get way more cool shots with an A9III then the 50MP A1.
That said ,there are a lot of times I'm cropping the crap out of my A1 images when not shooting in such a controlled environment. The A9III images may not hold up.
However, I had many sub-24MP cameras as my main camera over the years: 1DX, 1DXII, A9 and A9II. So I know I can work with 24MPs. But you do get used to using the cropping power of the 45+ MP cameras and sometimes it feels like it will be a challenge to step back.

Yeah really depends on what you are shooting. I do some setup work in my backyard similar to what Jan is showing and for sure I can use 24MP and get way more cool shots with an A9III then the 50MP A1.
That said ,there are a lot of times I'm cropping the crap out of my A1 images when not shooting in such a controlled environment. The A9III images may not hold up.
However, I had many sub-24MP cameras as my main camera over the years: 1DX, 1DXII, A9 and A9II. So I know I can work with 24MPs. But you do get used to using the cropping power of the 45+ MP cameras and sometimes it feels like it will be a challenge to step back.
I agree which is why I also have two a1’s. Likely going to one a1 with the a9III.

I will say however I’ve been working on improving my photography and not using cropping as a crutch.

A shot of a Red-winged Blackbird from tonight.
higher ISO and just gorgeous. Who needs 50 MP :)
20240422-A9300096-ARW-2.jpg
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

No chance I’d go back to 24mp FF , I kept my A9ii a while after I got the A1 just incase I didn’t like the A1. The A9ii spent more time in the bag so I sold it on , focus with both cameras was ok . If I did mainly hide work 24mp is fine but I use the cameras mostly when out walking . A lot of the wildlife is impossible to get close enough to not to need a fair bit of cropping . I shoot the A1 in APSC mode 90% of the time and still do some additional cropping .

I’ve just finished upgrading my A1 and my A9III :
  • A9III : from 1.00 to 2.00. Using a CF Express A card. Very fast, around 5 minutes. The configuration is kept.
  • A1 : from 2.00 to 2.01. Using the UBS-C port. About 25 minutes. The configuration is kept.
    Note : if you didn’t upgrade to 2.00, you still have to update to 1.35 first and then to 2.01. In this case the configuration is lost and you have to re-enter it manually.

Last edited:
Hopefully Sony didn’t introduce the crazy battery drain in this update like the A1 update.
I think I’ll test my A93 on old FW for the first few days and then update if others aren’t finding any issues.
I’ll update the A1 just in case they fixed battery drain by fluke.

Hopefully Sony didn’t introduce the crazy battery drain in this update like the A1 update.
I think I’ll test my A93 on old FW for the first few days and then update if others aren’t finding any issues.
I’ll update the A1 just in case they fixed battery drain by fluke.
Yeah I’m not in a rush to update. Any idea what they updated in a9III?

Yeah I’m not in a rush to update. Any idea what they updated in a9III?

Benefits and Improvements​

• Shooting & playback functions:
    • Allows you to turn the camera on/off remotely from a computer using a wired connection to the internet (LAN)
      Note: Remote Camera Tool Ver. 4.1.00 is required to activate this function.
    • Adds a function that automatically creates still images with Shot Marks from movie frames after recordings
      Note: You can add a Shot Mark while shooting or playing a movie and use it as a mark for selecting, transferring, or editing the movie.
    • Allows the use of shutter speeds up to a maximum of 1/80000 seconds in all drive modes and the NR Shooting setting (long-exposure noise reduction) when the aperture value is F1.8 or higher
    • Adds support for the Relay Playback function
    • Adds the Sync Release function that releases the shutters of multiple sub-cameras in conjunction with the main camera's shutter timing
    • Adds a function that displays the focus frame on the Remote Camera Tool app screen when the monitor and viewfinder are turned off
    • The maximum number of images that can be recorded in one folder has been increased to 9,999
    • Enables display of the Wi-Fi signal strength
    • Adds support for C2PA format (The license availability date is undecided)
      (C2PA = Coalition for Content Provenance and Authenticity)
    • Adds support for Custom Grid Line
      Note: Custom Grid Line
      is available as a paid license. Availability depends on the country and region.
  • FTP transfer & network functions:
    • Allows you to upload camera images directly to the Creators' Cloud app
      Note: Creators’ App Ver. 2.3.1 or later is necessary. Settings must be made in the Creators' App in advance. For more information, please visit the Creators' Appsupport website. Service may not be available in some countries or regions. Please refer to this support page.
    • You can now automatically schedule FTP transfer of protected movies and still images
    • Movies/still images transferred via FTP transfer can now be automatically protected
    • Adds a function to prioritize specific images via FTP transfer
    • Adds support for SFTP
      (SFTP = Secure File Transfer Protocol)
  • Others:
    • Fixes an issue where the camera would occasionally become unstable during continuous shooting
    • Fixes an issue where the color of a JPEG image may change when cropped in the camera
    • Fixes an issue where images may not be transferred properly during FTP transfer
    • Fixes an issue where the folder name setting for still images may switch from the set value to the default value (MSDCF) when the battery is removed
    • Fixes an issue where the camera may not be able to connect to the network
    • Fixes an issue where the timecode wasn’t always retained after a power restart
    • Improves the functionality and operational stability of the camera

Just curious.... whats going on in these areas? there seems to be a large rectangle on the left side of the frame.

weird.JPG
You can only see EXIF info for this image if you are logged in.

Back