IF your main camera is the Z9 what would you choose as a second camera body?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

wotan1

Supporting Member
Marketplace
Sometimes it benefits to have two camera bodies at an active shoot. You can have two lenses at rhe ready and switch quickly between them.

So, if you are using a Z9 what would be your choice for a second camera?

Would you get another Z9 so the controls and menus are identical? Would you go to the Z8 to save some weight? Would you go for one of the latest 24mp cameras (Zf or the upcoming Z6iii) to get some of the latest advantages in low light performance and improved IBIS? Or is there something coming in the next year that is worth waiting for?

Would you buy something used?

Let us know your thoughts

I got a Z9 about 2 years ago and sold my D850 and D500. Initially I used the Z9 with a Z7II, as I was reluctant to buy another body as big as the Z9. When the Z8 came out, I bought one. It certainly pairs much better with the Z9 than my Z7II did, at least for wildlife work.

What makes sense for you may, of course, depend a lot on what you do and what you value most.

At this point, for a wildlife-oriented outing, I usually take the Z9 and Z8. If shooting birds, I'd favor the Z9 on the lens I expect to use the most, given bird ID AF. I don't use the vertical grip that much, but appreciate the larger capacity battery, the bird ID AF, and at times the built-in GPS. I think the Z9 also balances a bit better with my Z 800 mm PF than the Z8, although the Z8 is certainly usable. There are also times when I prefer the Z8 for its lighter weight -- say a longer hike -- or for its smaller size -- say in my kayak. For me, if there are drawbacks to the Z8 they are mostly (1) only 2 customizable buttons on the front of the camera versus 3 on the Z9 (forces some differences in customization between the two bodies), (2) the fact that it does not yet have bird ID and (3) to a lesser extent, a few other areas where the Z8 firmware is a bit different than the Z9's (understanding that some differences are required given physical difference between the cameras).

For a more landscape-oriented outing, I usually take the Z8 and Z7II. I tend to shoot the Z8 more than the Z7II, even for landscapes, and the Z8 also gives me good AF in case we come across wildlife. However, on a river trip through the Grand Canyon last year (before I got the Z8), I used the Z9 as my principal landscape camera, as we had limited charging available and I liked the extra capacity of the EN EL 18d batteries (and took several extras).

I still have a Z6II. The Zf looks better than that, but I would prefer something with more customizable buttons. Will be interesting to see what a Z6III might offer, although for me, at most it might replace the Z7II and Z6II. I'll certainly keep the Z9 and Z8.

Not sure if I would buy a body used; would depend on the seller and circumstances. But Nikon has had some attractive refurbished prices for the Z9 lately.

[corrected a typo]

Last edited:
…….A sketch pad with assorted pencils…..😂… There are real advantages to having a 2nd camera ready to go. First, you’re not fumbling around making noise. 2nd, you’re not letting dust, etc enter the open body area. 3rd, having a different focal length lens on a camera ready to go will get that shot the main camera couldn’t cause the critter is too close, etc. My #1 is a Z9, #2 Z8. A lot depends on what you’re doing. You may not need a B/U if format switch works for you.. FX>DX>FX

For Raptor / Wildlife / Birding Photography I purchased the Z8 to back up the Z9. For all Landscape, High Surf , walkabout, or Macro Photography the Z7II or the D850 are options that are available for my use.

For wildlife I tend to start with the 800mm pf I would most likely need a 600mm or 400mm on the second body.

Most likely going to use a dual Blackrapid strap to keep both cameras readily at hand.

I have dealt with having different cameras with different button layouts and it has slowed me down. With the Z8 there is also the matter of it using EN-EL15 batteries and using SD cards in the second slot. Having two sets of batteries and two types of memory cards would be even more of a concern than the two different layouts.

There is also the matter of the Z8 not being as capable as the Z9 with respect to subject identification and eye focus. I would need to adjust for that or miss shots. I have too much invested in my excursions to have that happen.

Weight is not a problem for me as I find the grip of the Z9 to be a good fit for my hands and I can use my entire hand to hold the weight, unlike with a Z8 or in the past with a D850 without a battery grip. I am also of the opinion that if the weight is too much one should consider switching to a MFT system (like the Olympus OM-1) that has much lighter cameras and much lighter lenses.

I loved having two D850 cameras with the battery grip that enabled me to use EN-EL18 batteries. I could shoot for 2-3 days without replacing the battery and then at night only charge one or two batteries and be ready for the next day of shooting. That is one of the shortcomings of the Z8 where the grip uses the EN-EL15 battery and with the Sony cameras with their low capacity batteries, even for the a1 camera.

Last edited:
Z8…weight and cost and I don’t use the vertical grip anyway. A couple fewer buttons but then I really only use the Gn ones and not the ones on the bottom back…so not much different in setup. Primary lens on the Z9 if doing birds…when the Z8 gets that I will probably put the lighter lens on the Z9 to more equalize the weight on the strap (double BR). And to be honest I would have bought 2 Z8s if they were available back then since I don’t use or really want the grip and the battery life isn’t a big deal for me either.

What is the role of the second body? Backup for the Z 9, then a Z 8. I have both as well as Z 7ii and find that I never use the Z 7ii. Loving having two cameras that are basicallyt the same.

If I want a camera to complement the Z 9 and the survive as a backup then I would seriously consider a Z Fc? Not sure what the Z 6iii will be, a low MP version of the Z 8?

Bottom line - what role will the camera play in your kit?

For wildlife I tend to start with the 800mm pf I would most likely need a 600mm or 400mm on the second body.

Most likely going to use a dual Blackrapid strap to keep both cameras readily at hand.
It depends on where and what you shoot. For me, it's a 800 PF on one body and usually a 180-600 on the second. For just walk around, it might be the 180-600 or 400 f/4.5.

To the extent that this is an unscientific survey, it appears that most Z9 users would just as soon work with a second Z9 rather than a different body, although that is not a unanimour point of view. Certainly having the same set of controls and the same high capacity battery makes sense.

I can say from my perspective I really appreciate the Z9's robustness, long battery life and capabilities. I am at this point quite comfortable working with the Z9 with big lenses and I would be quite comfortable adding a second Z9. I have big hands and I like the beefy grip on the z9. I have adapted techniques that make carrying a big body and large lens comfortable. I avoid neck straps in favor of shoulder harnesses like the Blackrapid straps. With these adjustments the extra weight of the Z9 does not bother me.

Of course we are all curious to see what is on the horizon from Nikon. We will see what comes out from upcoming announcements. I think in the next year there are going to be many new developments.

What is the role of the second body? Backup for the Z 9, then a Z 8. I have both as well as Z 7ii and find that I never use the Z 7ii. Loving having two cameras that are basicallyt the same.

If I want a camera to complement the Z 9 and the survive as a backup then I would seriously consider a Z Fc? Not sure what the Z 6iii will be, a low MP version of the Z 8?

Bottom line - what role will the camera play in your kit?
Yep…that’s a big thing and as I said how I would approach the decision.

At this point all my lenses are Z so a D6 would not work for me.

I would use this primarily as a two-camera setup for field shooting. If in a static blind I would have the second camera next to me so I can quickly switch. If moving around I would have both suspended on a Blackrapid dual strap so I can grab either one as needed. The main purpose would be for a dual shoot option with long focal length prime lenses.

Second camera is the Z 8, before I got the Z 8, I was shooting a Z 7II with the Z 9, while that was ok, it wasn't much fun having cameras with different ways of AF. As soon as the Z 8 came out it replaced my Z 7ii as the second camera. It's great shooting with two cameras that pretty much matched each other when it comes to AF modes, just waiting for the Z 8 to get Bird AF

If I could afford, definitely another Z9. But I'm aiming at a Z8 to augment my Z9, gives me size range (large/small) for different situations and menus are close enough. Currently using the Z7ii as my second body but it's up for sale to help me fund another lens :)

Went with a Z8 for the savings in weight. Yes it is a pain to have to deal with two different batteries and chargers. The different cards are not an issue for me, have a large card in the Z8 so never use the SD (though I always keep one there). The slight difference in controls do occasionally cause me to hesitate but still want the weight savings.

Second camera is the Z 8, before I got the Z 8, I was shooting a Z 7II with the Z 9, while that was ok, it wasn't much fun having cameras with different ways of AF. As soon as the Z 8 came out it replaced my Z 7ii as the second camera. It's great shooting with two cameras that pretty much matched each other when it comes to AF modes, just waiting for the Z 8 to get Bird AF
totally agree. I can work with different camera controls but need to spend a lot of time with each to remain current so I don't forgot how things work

Back