IF your main camera is the Z9 what would you choose as a second camera body?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I'd buy Z8. I just don't reach for a 2nd camera very often these days. In fact for the past 1.5 years I've only owned a single camera. There was a time where I had 6 bodies on hand back in the Canon DSLR days....LOL....that was silly....hoarder.

So for me, the Z8 would be great as a backup when I travel and when I just want to go out with a lightweight setup. With the Z8 (compared to some other Z camera) I'd know I'm getting the same sensor and similar AF/performance (once Z8 FW happens) as my Z9.

Now if I was someone with a camera over both shoulders and going back and forth constantly between them for the lenses then I'd lean more towards a 2nd Z9 for identical controls.

I own Z9 and Z8 and I consider them like screwdrivers, one flat blade, one Phillips (- and +, if you will). If I don't carry both with me, I'll choose the one best suited for what I'm doing. If I carry both, it's usually the 24-120 on one and 100-400 or 500pf on the other, though depending on the situation it could be a UWA zoom or prime and the 24-120 or 70-200. Flexibility is key and what sort of video I might be shooting will also factor into the choice.

For situations where I want something light, but better than my iPhone, I'll take either a D3200 or D90 with me and one or more of my remaining F-mount lenses...usually a12-24 f4 and 18-300 f3.5-5.6 or 55-200 if really going light...or if there is some risk of damage or theft.

It is my hope that within a year or so we'll see an upgraded Z5 (II with Expeed 7, etc.) at which time I'd buy one and make that my knock around, lightweight kit. For me, that could be an equivalent of the Zf, but without the retro influence. Seems logical that an upgraded Z5 could take such a path and the Z6III be a performance step above the Zf in some areas, sensor, VF, etc. We shall soon see!

Cheers!

A pair of Z9's with duplicated menu setup including Banks. Together with a D6. And I still have a well used D850 (gripped) going into its 6th year.

These all use the same EN EL18c and d batteries with MH 33 chargers. USB PD charging simplifies life ('out there' especially)

A pair of Z9's with duplicated menu setup including Banks. Together with a D6. And I still have a well used D850 (gripped) going into its 6th year.

These all use the same EN EL18c and d batteries with MH 33 chargers. USB PD charging simplifies life ('out there' especially)
I remember you as one of the those at DPR back when the D850 first came out, and wait times were so long! I still have my D850; I think I got it eventually from BH. Not sure how I’m going to let me copy go… Hard to believe it’s been six years! (I’m ‘Hilifer‘ over there... I was living in La Paz, Bolivia, when I originally registered.)

I remember you as one of the those at DPR back when the D850 first came out, and wait times were so long! I still have my D850; I think I got it eventually from BH. Not sure how I’m going to let me copy go… Hard to believe it’s been six years! (I’m ‘Hilifer‘ over there... I was living in La Paz, Bolivia, when I originally registered.)
Thanks for the blast from the past :)
Yes, interesting times. I also recall frustrations flaring around the globe as, not for the first time, Nikon struggled to meet the D850 orders - well into 2019.

Last edited:
First I need to see what would the usage of this second camera , two cases I guess :
1. A backup camera in case of failure
2. A second camera for different usage

1. as I'm not a professional, I'll not go on this road, main concern could be in distant travel where replacement/repair will be out of reach, nevertheless this has never happen in the last 35 years as an amateur. once I've had the camera (D4s) not recognizing the objective (200-500) and a simple off/on solve the issue, unfortunately the deer didn't wait for this and I miss him this time, no big deal.
2. for street photo, family's holiday and so on, If my first camera is a Z9 I would go for a Zf.
what is sure is that I will avoid a second camera from another brand for ergonomic and objective, even if I've some Fuji I don't really use them anymore.

cheers

if I had the money for it, I would get a 2nd Z9 for shootings where I need to quickly switch between lenses and a smaller body for when the large Z9 is inconvenient (street). As it stands though, this is not an option and so I hope to eventually be able to add a Z50 as a small body and will continue dreaming of a 2nd Z9 for years to come

Depends on your budget and what you shoot. If your not cropping too much or need the high frame speed and focus speed, I am still impressed with the images I get from the Z6ii. Color saturation and vibrance along with the higher ISO performance can add additional range to your shots. Also, the smaller size and lighter weight make it easier to carry.

I have a D5 that I use as a backup to my Z9, since I already had the D5 and both can use the same batteries. When I picked the Z9, I was able to compare and shoot alongside the Z8. I liked the way the Z9 fit my hands better, much more similar to my D5. The Z8 experienced a “warm battery” warning while I was using it, and that was kind of a turn-off for me. I purchased the Z9 and have been happy ever since. The D5 is usually mounted to my 800mm f/5.6 on a tripod, and the Z9 mounted to my 500PF. Since I only have 2-Z mount lenses, the FTZ II adapter lets me enjoy all my F-mount lenses on both cameras. While I think it would be great to have two Z9’s, I would probably reconsider the Z8 mostly due to the weight, but for now, my D5 is still clicking like a well oiled engine!

Sometimes it benefits to have two camera bodies at an active shoot. You can have two lenses at rhe ready and switch quickly between them.

So, if you are using a Z9 what would be your choice for a second camera?

Would you get another Z9 so the controls and menus are identical? Would you go to the Z8 to save some weight? Would you go for one of the latest 24mp cameras (Zf or the upcoming Z6iii) to get some of the latest advantages in low light performance and improved IBIS? Or is there something coming in the next year that is worth waiting for?

Would you buy something used?

Let us know your thoughts
My second body is also a Z9. I shoot sports with two bodies, one with a long telephoto and the other with something shorter/wider. I'm always switching between them and don't have to worry about the controls being different. Also minimizes the kinds of memory cards and batteries I need to carry. I can also easily copy customizations between the two bodies. I am fortunate I can afford the second Z9.

Like Nimi my second body is a Z9 and 3rd body is a Zf. When shooting action I carry both Z9's on a Duel Black Rapid strap. The settings on both are identical. No problems with muscle memory this way.

I have a Z9 and have been using a mix of F and Z lenses, though am trending towards Z lenses. I shoot mostly birds and use mostly long teles. Have been using a D850 as a backup, but now that I have multiple Z teles (100-400 and 800 PF), I've purchased a refurbished Z8 for $3200 to be able to have both available simultaneously. I appreciate the lighter weight and lower cost of the Z8 while having most of the same performance as the Z9. I was reluctant to get a Z8 in consideration of shorter battery life, different batteries and chargers, loss of the third Fn button on the front and lack of the Z9's more advanced AF. However, I've found that the latest EN-EL15 batteries are longer lasting than anticipated (got 1500 shots with burst shooting and heavy rear screen chimping); third party SmallRig batteries perform well, are about $40 and come with their own USB charging cable; and the Z8's current firmware still supports excellent AF with updated Z9-like firmware hopefully coming in the not-too-distant future).

Last edited:

This vid goes on about the Z9H, it's in use and to be released - skip the intro and watch from 1 through 4 minutes
Though I initially found this entertaining, after getting feedback on this at DPR (including from Tom Hogan), it appears to be an AI-generated video perhaps designed to get publicity for the maker.

Last edited:
I’ve been tempted recently (by pricing, I’ll admit) to add a D5 to my kit, even though I’ve claimed (here on the forum) that I’m somewhat averse to the pro-flagship ergonomics. And, in part, I‘m still hugging that 46MP image goodness I get from my D850 and Z8.

May i ask, how do you find and or like the ZF and what was the rational in that choice

Kindest regards O

I love it! I was looking for a third body, would only consider full frame, had no use for 8k in it and the Zf fitted the bill. The files are at least as good as the Z9 files and the features are perfect for me.

I actually found a use-case where I prefer it to the Z9, and that's timelapses. I prefer a FF 24mp lossles RAW file a compressed 45mp one (my timelapses are made of thousands of stills).

I at first bought a Z8 as a backup to the Z9. I returned it without any shots taken as I didn't like the lack of the grip. I have used grips for 7 years or more and using a shotgun stance I rest the body end on my left shoulder as I shoot. Can hold the position for minutes due to the end support. The depth of the grip makes that possible.
I bought a refurbed Z9 for $100 more than the Z8. It had 4 shutter activations when I received it.

Sometimes it benefits to have two camera bodies at an active shoot. You can have two lenses at rhe ready and switch quickly between them.

So, if you are using a Z9 what would be your choice for a second camera?

Would you get another Z9 so the controls and menus are identical? Would you go to the Z8 to save some weight? Would you go for one of the latest 24mp cameras (Zf or the upcoming Z6iii) to get some of the latest advantages in low light performance and improved IBIS? Or is there something coming in the next year that is worth waiting for?

Would you buy something used?

Let us know your thoughts

On the radar the Z7III if its 10 fps 60mp

Currently its the D850 for the Z9

In the past i have always had combos like

D3X D3s
D3X D4s, DF - for lightness, low light and travel.
D850 D5 - D6
D850 Z9 currently.
Next the combo may be Z9 Z7III if its 10 fps 60mp.

Only an opinion

Last edited:
I am getting a second Z9. I have a D850, but I'm just not using it. And I'd like to have a second body with the same controls. The only disadvantage - besides cost - is the weight of a Z9 if you want to hike, as pointed out by SugarDude above.

I replaced my "old" z7 to get a z8 because I wanted both cameras working the same so I don't have to re-think what I'm using. Now I use the z8 as my primary. Doing it over again, I'd get a z7ii primarily for landscapes where settings and quick focus are less important, and the body easier to deal with as a 2nd camera. In a pinch, the z7ii can do almost everything I need doing, and there's no significant difference in image quality.

Back