IF your main camera is the Z9 what would you choose as a second camera body?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

My backup to my Z9 is my D850 and my D500. Backup for me is more like a second camera that can be used along with the main camera, a Z9., but with a different lens attached to it. The majority of my lenses are still F mount.

I'd wait a couple months and get a Canon R1. That way I'd have the newest hottest body around. Then I would switch all my lenses to canon lenses and get the R5 mark ii for my backup body. Then I'd sell all my Nikon gear.
Canon has always been, but never became, my next brand... Actually my first camera was a Canon, an FTb, still have it.

There is a difference between a 2nd body and a backup body. For a 2nd body, I would only consider the exact same body so it would be another Z9. For a backup body, one you would generally only use when your main gets damaged or out getting repaired, I would consider a Z8 as a backup.

I use the Z8 as my second camera to the Z9. I love it because they’re very close in setup, but is lighter and smaller when I need a hiking camera.
My wife has the Z8 so recently we picked up a second Z8 as a shared camera, my camera of choice for backup would be the Z9 as then I would not have to think about controls. Agreed for now the Z8 is close enough to the Z9 but am also anxiously waiting for bird subject detection.

My first venture into the mirrorless world was with the Z7ii. What attracted me to it at the time was the light weight and compact form factor.

When the Z8 came out I looked at it but it was not a weight savings on my DSLR.

I went with the Z9 because I wanted the full performance. Since then I have become accustomed to working with the heavier camera body. I use better carrying systems so the heavier body is no longer a problem for me. I work with bigger and longer lenses and the Z9 has a better grip and is a better counterbalance.

I still have an interest in a super light "street" camera. My Z7ii is very useful for this purpose and remains in the inventory.

At this point when I go for a second main shooting camera it is likely to be the Z9 or its successor. I plan to wait for a while to see what develops

A significant factor in my decision to wait is an edict from She Who Must Be Obeyed that I have spent enough on camera gear this year and need to stop.

They say happy wife happy life.

If I were choosing at this very moment, a Z9. For consistency in operation and controls.

And I would purchase one used, under certain criteria.

As it is, my primary b/u camera is a D850 or a D500.
... an edict from She Who Must Be Obeyed that I have spent enough on camera gear this year and need to stop...
Goodness,... already? It's only January 16th!

Last edited:
My first venture into the mirrorless world was with the Z7ii. What attracted me to it at the time was the light weight and compact form factor.

When the Z8 came out I looked at it but it was not a weight savings on my DSLR.

I went with the Z9 because I wanted the full performance. Since then I have become accustomed to working with the heavier camera body. I use better carrying systems so the heavier body is no longer a problem for me. I work with bigger and longer lenses and the Z9 has a better grip and is a better counterbalance.

I still have an interest in a super light "street" camera. My Z7ii is very useful for this purpose and remains in the inventory.

At this point when I go for a second main shooting camera it is likely to be the Z9 or its successor. I plan to wait for a while to see what develops

A significant factor in my decision to wait is an edict from She Who Must Be Obeyed that I have spent enough on camera gear this year and need to stop.

They say happy wife happy life.
equipment quota resets on calendar year, not rolling year, you should let She Who Must Be Obeyed know :)

If I owned a Z9 (I have a Z8), my backup would still be my D850 as I don’t own any Z glass. Both bodies are physically similar ergonomically, both use the same batteries and CFE/SD memory. I’m not a real bird shooter (as many here are, hence the Z9 theme and in spite of my avatar), but to enjoy dabbling in it. To that end, I‘ll usually go out looking for wildlife with my 120-300 + 2x TC on the Z8 and my 70-200/2.8 with a 1.4x TC in my pocket, along with one or two MF WA lenses.

Personally, I don’t know enough to use many of the more ’expert‘ functions and controls (on either body, though more on the DSLR), so my focus is on composition and, basically, just getting the shot. The AF on the Z8/120-300 combo has worked well enough for me so far to get some nice bird shots, but I‘ll admit to being enthused about getting BD in the near future, too.

I just happened to stop by Downtown Camera here in Toronto while out for a walk earlier today and had an opportunity to hold a Z9 for the first time. Felt like my first DSLR, the D1X, and maybe I’ll get one down the road, but for now, I’m very happy with my current combo. (I even have a copy of a used D1X I bought a couple of years ago… 10MP isn’t so bad for a 20+ year old body.)

I hope I haven’t broken any rules by joining this thread that was clearly directed to the Z9 crowd…

Last edited:
I first bought a Z9 with a D850 as second body. Then I bought a Z8 and loved it so bought a second Z8 as a second body and now shoot with those. My Z9 is still boxed up from when someone on this forum was going to buy it then backed out. I really need to unbox it and install the new software but it is too heavy and bulky for me. Love my Z8 cameras.

oh, random thought, note this rumor:

so we might hear semi soon about an z6iii

however, another thought is, perhaps flying folks to some exotic place might be a bit much for just the z6iii, and perhaps we might also be talking about a z9h/z9s as well

maybe i'm just dreaming, but...

z6iii, z9h, new firmware..... :-D

This is a question that I am currently struggling with. I currently use my D850 as a back up or second body to my Z9. I'd like to move to all Z lenses, but other than lens compatibility I am quite happy with the D850 as back up. For me, the battery life on a Z8 is simply ridiculous, and the Z7, Z6 family of bodies don't offer the performance I want. I could add a second Z9, but I'd like to have a smaller body. If only there was an adapter that allowed the use of the Z lenses on the D850, I'd have no reason to change bodies at all. Plus, the D850 works with my pocket wizard equipment when I mix strobes and speed-lights, whereas the mirror-less bodies - not so much (certainly the Z9 does not unless I pay to upgrade all of my PW tt5s).

Bottom line is that for me there is no best solution yet, so I wait and use the D850 as back up, which is a fine camera by any standard.

I just purchased into the Nikon system so I could get a (relatively) lightweight 800 mm PF lens.

I ended up purchasing a Z9 as my primary body and am waiting to see what to buy for a backup body. I am considering a Z8 for lighter weight, but am waiting to see if Nikon releases new firmware with Bird subject detection. I am also considering the upcoming Z6III as a second body as well.

Yes this is my first post.

Current cameras that I own Z9,D850,D4. In the perfect world I’d choose a second Z9. In the real world I’d probably go for the D850 first, but the D4 is very close. To me the D4 just gets it done. I purchase the D4 in 2012 and the D850 in 2018 so some what familiar with both. On the other hand purchased the Z9 this past October so definitely still reading and learning.

I initially tried a Z6 but the AF and action related items weren't fast enough, as I mainly shoot wildlife.

Then I tried a Z8. I hoped it would be a Z9 in a smaller package and make it easier to travel, but I had nothing but problems with it. I'm definitely in the minority, but it was the worst camera experience I've had to date.

Bought the camera new for around $3800 and it had both recalls. Sent it in. I have probably 20 batteries for the Z6 which I was told would work with the Z8, but they didn't. The Z8 has something internal that doesn't allow (all) 3rd party batteries to work. I didn't learn this until the day I tried it, in Iceland. The battery life was significantly worse than I heard reported. Then upon returning, I tried to sell it for $3400 and had to basically give it away. The buyer shared that in his first week of ownership, the SD card reader stopped holding cards. Another known Nikon issue that required it being sent in.

Now I have two Z9s and couldn't be happier. It's worth whatever difficulty comes with travel/weight to have a main camera and backup camera that use the same, high capacity battery, with all the exact same controls. Also having 2 CF Express cards on the Z9 is nice as it allows "unlimited" shooting without running into a buffer wall. The Z8 does not.

When buying used, for awhile you could get a Z9 or Z8 for around the same price - so my advice to everyone was always pick the Z9. Now the Z8 can be had for $3000 or less pretty regularly, which probably makes it worth a look for anyone considering a backup body - but I definitely won't own one again. YMMV.

Last edited:
The Z8 is not a "light" camera. Not at all as light as the Z7ii for instance.

The actual difference in weight between the Z8 and Z9 according to the figures is 480 grams or 1.05 lb.

If I am going to haul around almost any long telephoto lens I am going to want to use a better camera strap such as the Blackrapid shoulder strap. So the extra 1 lb is not going to be an issue, plus the grip on the Z9 body is really good for handling long lenses.

Plus at 600mm and above I get better results using a tripod and gimbal, or at least a monopod. One lb now matters even less.

There is a lot to be said for a light camera body when doing casual street shooting. In this respect the Z7ii is an almost ideal weight. I looked at a Leica for a street camera (despite gagging at the price) and I found the Z7ii with a basic minimal street prime was not at all heavier.

So to me the ideal camera setup going forward would be two Z9's for heavy shooting plus one super light camera body (Z6iii or Z7iii) for street photography.

After using the Z9 I am not at all happy with the Z7ii autofocus system so I do want an upgrade there when something new comes out.

Needless to say I really love the Z9. I own just two batteries and have never come close to running even one of those batteries down in a day of shooting.

Got the Z8 in addition to the Z9. I am waiting to see if Nikon will make another version of the Z 9, then I will added it as a third camera And my Gear will be completed

I'm with Lance on this. The fact that the Z8 is a pound lighter often enters into my decision. I have them set up identically -- as close as possible. Although the 8 currently lacks "Bird recognition", it still finds the eye and locks on.

Back