IF your main camera is the Z9 what would you choose as a second camera body?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I love it! I was looking for a third body, would only consider full frame, had no use for 8k in it and the Zf fitted the bill. The files are at least as good as the Z9 files and the features are perfect for me.

I actually found a use-case where I prefer it to the Z9, and that's timelapses. I prefer a FF 24mp lossles RAW file a compressed 45mp one (my timelapses are made of thousands of stills).
Thank you so much for your feed back, it sounds very practical as you describe.

I had a look at one from Nikon NPS and i liked it, it makes my DF look like a relic LOL.

The ZF is on my short list, just waiting for the Z7III to break out of its shell, i am tipping it will be 60mp 10 fps and if that's the case it will suite my application nicely.

My primary camera/lens combo is Z9/4002.8TC that I use 80% of the time. My secondary camera is the D850 and I don’t think I will ever sell it as this is THE camera/ camera gear that excited me the most when launched (more than even a Z9/400TC). Also, I still have my 70-200 E FL and 500PF that I simply can’t think of selling/ upgrading so I will keep using them.

Having said that, I do need a third camera body that Nikon still doesn’t have in their line up. That’s either a pro DX mirrorless with 30+MP resolution, stacked sensor and Z9 AF or a Z7III with 80+MP resolution and decent sensor speed and better EVF slide-show implementation.

My primary camera/lens combo is Z9/4002.8TC that I use 80% of the time. My secondary camera is the D850 and I don’t think I will ever sell it as this is THE camera/ camera gear that excited me the most when launched (more than even a Z9/400TC). Also, I still have my 70-200 E FL and 500PF that I simply can’t think of selling/ upgrading so I will keep using them.

Having said that, I do need a third camera body that Nikon still doesn’t have in their line up. That’s either a pro DX mirrorless with 30+MP resolution, stacked sensor and Z9 AF or a Z7III with 80+MP resolution and decent sensor speed and better EVF slide-show implementation.
WOW i thought i was alone LOL

I use my D850 for nearly everything and the Z9 if i need 20fps etc. The D850 is a great camera and far less complicated, as i mentioned previously i am also waiting for the outcome of the A7III 60mp plus at least 10 fps and that's the ticket. See what happens.

Interesting especially the later part

Only an opinion

I have 2 Z9 bodies and a Z8. The Z8 is a wonderful walk around camera and would suffice as a second camera except I personally like the large battery in the Z9 for nature photography.

I'd love to hear your opinion on the weather and light condition that Mirrorless cameras are "in trouble" in! I have not found any yet!
The Z9, like any ML camera, in low light, adverse weather conditions such as heavy rain or snow, morning fog, and a few other conditions the Z9 struggles a lot or even does not focus at all
I'll put up a couple of examples hoping they don't go off the topic of discussion

Attachments

• uuid=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000A3F&library=1&type=1&mode=1&loc=true&cap=true.jpeg
    uuid=00000000-0000-0000-0000-000000000A3F&library=1&type=1&mode=1&loc=true&cap=true.jpeg
    322.7 KB · Views: 31
  • uuid=00000000-0000-0000-0000-0000000003B6&library=1&type=1&mode=1&loc=true&cap=true.jpeg
    uuid=00000000-0000-0000-0000-0000000003B6&library=1&type=1&mode=1&loc=true&cap=true.jpeg
    94.7 KB · Views: 30
The Z9, like any ML camera, in low light, adverse weather conditions such as heavy rain or snow, morning fog, and a few other conditions the Z9 struggles a lot or even does not focus at all
I'll put up a couple of examples hoping they don't go off the topic of discussion
I've had it struggle on some rainy days and no problems on others. AF does seem to struggle more in low contrast than the D5/850 did. But no hard data to support that impression.

Not my experience. Getting better results in harsh conditions than my D5.

I forgot to specify that the "problems" occur when the subjects are set as in my photos, with close-ups or portraits much less
And btw, love the deer photo. Very much takes me there. Something to be said for a scene with lower contrast, desarurated by fog. Everything now (to my eye) is optimized for phones and social media.

Not my experience. Getting better results in harsh conditions than my D5.
It's like comparing apples and oranges anyway. In my case at least. The only AF modes I ever used on DSLRs was single point and group. With Z8/9 I'm using wide area 100 percent of the time. I used to have a button set to single point mode. But now I use a 1x1 custom area.

I forgot to specify that the "problems" occur when the subjects are set as in my photos, with close-ups or portraits much less
In my case as well. Typically have issues with longer range subjects.

It's like comparing apples and oranges anyway. In my case at least. The only AF modes I ever used on DSLRs was single point and group. With Z8/9 I'm using wide area 100 percent of the time. I used to have a button set to single point mode. But now I use a 1x1 custom area.

Good point. I don't shoot wildlife, just other things that move fast but predictably and are larger (cars, surfers). So I'm typically on 1x1 or single point, no tracking. As I was on the DSLR.

The D6 and even the D850 or D4s just sticks to what ever you point it at like glue i never use tracking on any of these cameras LOL.

I switch everything off on the Z9 as far as tracking goes and use it like a normal camera and combine it with good old fashioned skill sets.

If i do ever use tracking its in rare specific applications where the camera is staying with in its capabilities.

I hear the R1 will fix this vulnerability.

There is no right or wrong, its what ever works for you.

Last edited:

I partly agree, SLRs I use only in single point, rarely in D9, tracking is practically nonexistent.
On the Z9 if the animal, I only photograph those, does not occupy a very large portion of the frame the tracking is not reliable at all, instead of the head it goes on the shoulder, the rear or the background. That is why I have to use Wide S area or the 1x1 point, but in my opinion so it is less responsive and you lose most of the advantages given by the Af of the Z9

I decidd to get a Z8 for my second body, as it is essentially a Z9 in a slightly smaller package. This way I end up having 2 cameras with nearly identical interfaces and configurations, but I also have the option of choosing the slightly smaller and lighter body of the Z8 whenever the situation calls for it.

I also have the Z7ii as a tertiary backup and/or to use as an even smaller form factor camera for travel purposes, which almost exclusively gets used for landscape photography.

I prefer using the Z8/Z9 combo, due to their nearly identical user interface and configuration settings, but it doesn't take me too long to get into the mindset of using the Z7ii, especially in landscape photography situations, which typically means that I am not rushed for time.

Last edited:
Sometimes it benefits to have two camera bodies at an active shoot. You can have two lenses at rhe ready and switch quickly between them.

So, if you are using a Z9 what would be your choice for a second camera?

Would you get another Z9 so the controls and menus are identical? Would you go to the Z8 to save some weight? Would you go for one of the latest 24mp cameras (Zf or the upcoming Z6iii) to get some of the latest advantages in low light performance and improved IBIS? Or is there something coming in the next year that is worth waiting for?

Would you buy something used?

Let us know your thoughts
I have a Z9 and to be honest it is not my go to camera. The Z5 is my go to camera for street photography and travel. I pair my Z5 with the Z 14-30mm f/4 S, Z 28-75mm f/2.8 and Tamron Z 70-300mm f/4.5-6.3 for travel. Z 50mm or 35mm f/1.8 S for street.
The Z9 I use for action, wildlife, landscape, portrate and macro with the following lenses Z 14-30mm f/4 S, Z 50mm f/1.8 S, F mount 70-200mm f/2.8 E ED VR via FTZ, Z 105mm f/2.8 MC VR Micro and Z 400mm F/4.5 VR S.

Back