Keep My Nikon Setup Or Move On?

If you would like to post, you'll need to register. Note that if you have a BCG store account, you'll need a new, separate account here (we keep the two sites separate for security purposes).

I agree that you have not tapped the potential for wildlife photography with Nikon with your existing lenses. You need something long.

If you have GAS then I think either the 400mm f2.8 tc or the 600mm f4 tc should get you going. These both are big and heavy lenses which will be difficult to use handheld for very long. They however provide ideal performance with the sharpest IQ, widest aperture and best background rendering.

For ease of use and transport, the 400mm f4.5, 600mm pf and 800mm pf are great choices and are also significantly less expensive.

I personally have settled in with the 400mm f4.5 and the 800mm pf. They work well together and cover almost everything you might need.

I really love the 800mm and I am thinking of adding a 400mm f2.8 to the mix once I get permission from She Who Must Be Obeyed.

I

Maybe spend the money on counseling as to why you constantly need to buy new gear? Could be money better-spent? The gear you have is great, although as a wildlife photographer I also have the 600PF. Maybe buy a really expensive lens instead? You could drop $13,000-$15,000 and that might make you feel better? There is nothing wrong with the camera you currently have so it's not about better gear, it's about something else in your personality. If I were you, I'd go with the Nikon Z 600mm f/4 TC VR S, the ultimate lens right now.
I appreciate advice nah your 100% right its my personality, grew up poor and now I have money so I buy stupid **** to make up for it.

I really appreciate everyone advice I was hesitant to post on here because I have posted other places before like FM and lets just say people weren't as helpful and judgmental. So I want to say thanks for everyone weighing in and saying civil it was a great change.

I grew up like it sounds you did , and unfortunately buying stuff sometimes makes me feel extra good. and even regret it sometimes later lol it's a vicious cycle. Just do what I try to do, enjoy this hobby as much as you can , don't forget that money you spend you had to work for maybe hard like me , 60-70 hrs a week in the oilfields. But it pays nice lol ..try and enjoy life.
Welcome to BCG Forums.
-Matt.

I grew up like it sounds you did , and unfortunately buying stuff sometimes makes me feel extra good. and even regret it sometimes later lol it's a vicious cycle. Just do what I try to do, enjoy this hobby as much as you can , don't forget that money you spend you had to work for maybe hard like me , 60-70 hrs a week in the oilfields. But it pays nice lol ..try and enjoy life.
Welcome to BCG Forums.
-Matt.
Seems to be the problem with growing up that way then busting our asses to get out. Thankfully I get to work from home now days I am a Creative Director by day and moonlight as a photographer .So I try to enjoy photography as much as possible. If I have a camera in my hands I am a happy camera typically. Also thank you for the warm welcome.

Jake

This is a question that only you can decide upon the answer.

I agree with those above who suggest that you purchase a longer lens, 600mm to 800mm, and crop your shots that way. If you want a macro lens, get the 105, too. Along with the macro lens, get some of the specialized gear to assist in macro photography, such as a very sturdy tripod and a focusing rail.

BTW, congratulations on selling some wildlife photos!
Thank you for the congrats I couldn't stop smiling the whole night I like was the creepy guy in the back staring at people looking at my photos trying to hear what they were saying. XDDDD Got nice selfie with them after they sold though.

Thanks for providing details of your problem. I think we can do a deal you will not regret. You send me all your Nikon gear and I will provide you with Eva Green's phone number.
You drive a hard bargain :). Nah I am happy I posted it kept me from doing something dumb, plus looking around the community seems great.

If you do the deal I suggest you will find that photography is a poor second to sitting on a beach in the Seychelles with Eva sipping beer.
PS this and my previous post will most likely result in my being declared a persona non grata again.

@jcollins I wish I knew why that's what I am trying to figure out but now it's stuck in my head that I should swap. The only thing I can think of is I like pixel peaking and I heavy crop typically. Which is why the A7RV was in my head, and I shot a R5 for a long time and really enjoyed how it felt. Other than that I have no good reason. Which is why I was making this post to hopefully have someone besides my wife talking sense into me. I also agree every brand has a great lineup now, and the tech is equal now.
Even though you like to pixel-peep, do you think the jump from 48 to 61 Mp will make a difference you can perceive?

One one hand, as others have said, you have a solid kit than with some minor adjustments can give you top level results in any genre of photography.

On the other, if you can afford it without going into debt or impacting your future, why not explore other systems... We only live once afterall.

Though I wouldn't directly switch, I would more add capability to the existing kit.

For example, an Canon R6II and their 100mm macro that has 1.4x magnification would be nice :).

Or a Sony A7RIV and one of Sigma's Art telephotos for portraits? Or those Sony UWAs for landscapes?

Buy used, maybe hunt for bargains to keep the inpact low and so you don't loose too much on resale if you get bored.

Also, you can always rent some gear to play with it and see how you like it...

P.S: my personal remedy for GAS attacks has always been to buy very cheap, quirky lenses that take me out of my confort zone and use those for a while before returning to my serious gear.

I would sell
I am in a "tough" spot right now. First world problems. I have GAS pretty bad so I am always buying new gear I have a really nice Nikon setup right now and am trying to decide if I want to stick it out or move to an R5 or a A7RV. I know it might sound kind of dumb but that's just how my brain works I get focused on an idea and then make a dumb move. I am trying to get others thoughts to maybe avoid that this time around.

My current setup is
Z8
Z7
24-70 2.8 Z
24-70 4 Z
85 1.4 F
70-200 F
200-500 5.6

I shoot a lot of different things anything from weddings to wildlife. However wildlife/macro is my passion. It was only recently that I was able to make money in wildlife which was an awesome feeling.

I attached a few recent photos I had sell at auction.
Its fun spending another's money: I would sell everything except the Z8 and buy a 600pf and a z 24-120. Job done. Or if that does not scratch the itch hard enough, buy an A9iii and 200-600. :)

Jake…

I like the images on your own website and on your YouTube channel; however…

I wonder whether your YT comment relating to macro photography — Don't have a macro lens? Take the shot anyways; who knows, you might end up surprised! — could indicate that that is where a thousand or so dollars should be spent. Anyway, my prescription for the temporary suppression of your GAS malady is:
  • Nikkor Z MC 105mm f/2.8 VR S.
… David

Last edited:
the Greater Nikon Ecosystem also has no end of options, especially in G and E type F-Nikkors. I continue to use MF AIS Micro-Nikkors for close ups, and also the 70-180 AFD Micro-Nikkor, although it does not autofocus on the Z cameras.

The closest update yet IME to the venerable 70-180 to frame close up subjects swiftly is the new 70-180 f2.8 Z Nikkor, which is very useful for closeups, including larger invertebrates, flowers, snakes etc. This zoom is in my hiking kit, with the 14-30 f4S and 24-120 f4S.

Last edited:
I’m glad to see you stuck with Nikon! I’m currently suffering from a major gas attack also, my major reason for changing brands is I want to upgrade to mirrorless from Canon dslr. I dont have a pile of gear just two lenses and one body. My mind is in constant struggle with what is the right choice ha and I usually go in a complete circle on camera brands… its been going on a year and I completely over think everything. I also don’t have a huge budget to play with which adds to the problem to get what I want. Nikon has the best options for wildlife definitely! Good luck with dealing with gas!

I’m glad to see you stuck with Nikon! I’m currently suffering from a major gas attack also, my major reason for changing brands is I want to upgrade to mirrorless from Canon dslr. I dont have a pile of gear just two lenses and one body. My mind is in constant struggle with what is the right choice ha and I usually go in a complete circle on camera brands… its been going on a year and I completely over think everything. I also don’t have a huge budget to play with which adds to the problem to get what I want. Nikon has the best options for wildlife definitely! Good luck with dealing with gas!
Unless one of your lenses is one of your lenses is a big, fast prime, that you plan to adapt, you should consider all options. You are in a position where changing to mirrorless means you will probably upgrade your lenses along with the body. There are some decent, somewhat affordable options available from all brands. In your case I would evaluate what provides you with what you need covered the best within your budget and meets your needs for expanding in the future. The R7, R6ii, and R5 all seem like great options as long as the lenses you want are available and within budget. The big issue with Nikon currently is the lack of great options under the Z8. I also have a Zf which I really like, but I can understand it’s not for everyone and it does lack buttons to customize. The Z6iii should hopefully address this issue soon. Good luck with your decision.

Unless one of your lenses is one of your lenses is a big, fast prime, that you plan to adapt, you should consider all options. You are in a position where changing to mirrorless means you will probably upgrade your lenses along with the body. There are some decent, somewhat affordable options available from all brands. In your case I would evaluate what provides you with what you need covered the best within your budget and meets your needs for expanding in the future. The R7, R6ii, and R5 all seem like great options as long as the lenses you want are available and within budget. The big issue with Nikon currently is the lack of great options under the Z8. I also have a Zf which I really like, but I can understand it’s not for everyone and it does lack buttons to customize. The Z6iii should hopefully address this issue soon. Good luck with your decision.
I have a 100-400 mk 2, 16-35 f4 and a 90d, I have gone through the pros and cons from almost every option. I don’t want to deal with the rolling shutter or shutter shock from the r7 and I loose to much reach with the inability to do deep crops with the r6 ii. But the r5 is currently on sale which has me thinking about it. I keep going back to a Fuji xh2s and adapting my lenses, stacked sensor faster read out speed so no rolling shutter, and zero black out, but lose auto focus accuracy. I wish the r7 was the xh2s with canons auto focus! I could also spend my entire budget on a z8 and adapter from fringer and just use my lenses until the 180-600 is more readily accessible and my hobby funds have recovered. Or do I pick up a 5d iv and a sigma 150-600 sport and at the end of the day I probably wouldn’t notice a difference in my photos! A d850 is also available local used with low shutter count and I could find a used 150-600 easily. I have couple really unique experiences available this fall for me, backpacking trip in Yukon to photograph fall sheep and goats, moose and mountain caribou. I’ve put my backpacking gear on a diet to make up for camera equipment. And a flight into northern remote Manitoba to a cabin with day trips out from it for moose. Sorry to take over this thread, I’m sure people are tired of seeing these questions and just want to make sure I see all pros and cons of my decisions.

If you’re into wildlife photography and don’t have unlimited funds, Nikon is the best choice—by several miles. There’s no meaningful difference in price between the Z8 and an R5, but the Z8 gives you a stacked sensor. And no other brand has anything comparable to Nikon’s telephoto lineup.

If you’re into wildlife photography and don’t have unlimited funds, Nikon is the best choice—by several miles.

I'm of a different opinion on this... Nikon is the best choice if you are going for a used DSLR wildlife kit or if you can spend over 6k USD on a mirroless body and lens.

If you want relatively modern mirrorless technology and features under 6k, you get much better bang for buck from OMDS, Sony and Canon.

If only Nikon had a stacked APS-C sensor body around the Fuji X-H2s price point ...

For what you photograph and the gear you have, the 800mm PF or possibly the 600mm PF would be the best addition. The big value in the Nikon system right now is the range of excellent long lenses. I use an 800mm PF, 400mm f/4.5, and still have a 600mm f/4 VR that works well when the situation is appropriate. For example, I used the 600mm f/4 with 1.4 TC for the eclipse this week, the 400mm f/4.5 with a 1.4 TC on a second camera, and the 800mm PF sat nearby in a camera bag and was never opened. But for small migrating birds, I'm using the 800mm PF almost exclusively.

Back